Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blood tranifusions due to Hiatal Hernia

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Blood tranifusions due to Hiatal Hernia

I am 34 and a female, I have asthma and for the last 2 yrs. it has really gotten bad. Back in Sept. of 2000 I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and now, in June of 2001 I had to have a blood tranfusion due to the blood lose. I was checked out by Dr.'s but it was not found exactlly where the bleeding was coming from. I'm now bleeding again and had to have more blood. My stools are very black, sometimes hard and some tarry. My colon was checked out and is fine. I.m sechuled for a nother throat scope thing done. I'm geting a little worried. My DR. says that my hernia needs to be repaired. Has anyone ever had this or know of someone who has and could this be life threatening? Both times I recieved blood I got 2 units. That's 4 units in 2 months, that's alot of blood to be loseing!
Do you have a Paraesophageal Hiatal Hernia? If so, they can cause bleeding which can cause the anemia you are experiencing. In that case the hernia does need to be repaired. It can be done Laparoscopically and safely. Good luck.
Dr. Erik
What is a Paraesophageal Hiatal Hernia? All I've heard my doctors call it is just a Hiatal Hernia. One doctor said that I may have a bleeding ulcer under my hiatal hernia and my digestive DR. thinks the bleeding is coming from the hernia. He also says that my hiatal hernia is Very Huge for someone may age (34). If that's so will they have to cut me down the middle to repair it? And when they say "REPAIR" does that mean they just fix the hiatal hernia or do they try to remove it? I've had some older family members to tell me that for them to do this surgery they will have to crack my ribs open, Is this true? I'm getting very scared about this. I can't bleed to death during surgery, can I ?

Thank You,
                                           Angie
                                         (Miss Scared-E-Cat)
Dear Angie:

A Paraesophageal Hiatal Hernia is a type of Hiatal Hernia where the Gastroesophageal Junction remains in its normal position but part of the stomach is protruding through the Diaphragm into the chest cavity. It sounds like you have a large Sliding Hiatal Hernia, where the Esophageal Junction is partly into the chest cavity. This hernia, when large enough can cause bleeding and probably is causing your anemia. Surgery to repair your hernia can be done Laparoscopically (through a few tiny incisions in your belly). You will not have to have your ribs cracked open to repair this hernia. It is very unlikely you would have any complications with your surgery. No you will not bleed to death from this surgery. Make sure to have your Gastroenterologist refer you to a surgeon with experience doing these kinds of procedures. You will be fine. Good Luck.