Bowel Problems After Gallbladder Surgery
I had my gallbladder removed almost a year ago.  I've seen comments posted about this in the forum, but no real answer or explanation as to why it happens.  Luckily, I suffered no pain after the surgery; I recovered well and I am VERY HAPPY that I do not suffer through those horrible attacks anymore (the last one made me think I was going to die and I ended up in the ER with the surgery scheduled shortly after).  Anyway, I have noticed that ever since the surgery I have a MAJOR problem during and after eating.  I have to RUN to the bathroom.  I, too, am familiar with a lot of public restrooms almost anywhere I go.  Unfortunately, sometimes I choose NOT to go somewhere or NOT to eat something because I'm so afraid of what will happen later.  Is there a real medical ezplanation for this?  I asked my PCP and all he told me was to ask the doc who performed the surgery.  I was given a lot of information before the surgery, but during my TWO follow up visits, nothing about this was mentioned.  I didn't notice it until a few weeks later.  I'm ashamed to talk to anyone about it.  Is there anything that can be done?  I hate to think that this is how I have to live for the rest of my life.
I had my gallbladder out in feb. 2000, and it was the best thing that I did.  No more pains, but I do have to agree with you guys, the trips to the bathroom are driving me crazy!!! what really helps for me is drink water or juice, no more sodas, little portions of food, and try staying away from that good fried and spiced up food. ( I know that's hard for some of us Afircan Americans) i was really scared that something was really wrong with me, but after reading you guys replys helped me a lot. Thanks!!!!! Wanda
Hello Everyone,

I too suffer from what now seems like "dumping syndrome".
I had my gallbladder removed back in July of 1999 at the age of 20. And ever since then I have suffered with diarriea, constipation, flatulence, nausea, and killer cramping. For the longest time I thougth that I too had cancer,I have had an ERCP and a colonoscopy performed, but after seeing a GI doctor up in Standford, he concluded that I had Colitis. He gave me medication that has not been working for me. I am really having a bad time. I can't live my life the way I like too. I'm only 21 years old and I feel my life is over. I am attending college and I have about 3 more months before I will graduate, I'm scard to death about moving on. I don't know how I will be able to work when I can't even leave the bathroom. I lost my job because I had my gallbladder surgry. Now ever since then any job I have had I haven't lasted more that 2 weeks because I quit. I have noticed like many of you, that my mornings often start the same way, I have breakfast and 10-15 minutes later I run off to the bathroom. I hardly leave my house, because I fear that I will have to rush to the bathroom. I have no social life!! I'm engaged to be married, sometimes I wonder if I'll be able to walk down the isle without having an accident. I can't take this kind of life style anymore. Its very neverecking and very uncomfortable. I stress over this every day and need some help. If anyone has any other information please E-mail me at ***@****
I had my gallbladder out 10 days ago. All went fairly smoothly until 2 days ago when I began to have very painful back pains on the lower right hand side of my back. The pains are not constant but when they do come I am not able to find comfort anywhere and with anything. Painkillers don't even take care of the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
It is so great to be able to relate to someone on this level.
I am also 30 years old.  I had my Gallbladder removed April 1997,  approximately 2 months after the birth of my son. I suffered from Toxemia during my pregnancy.  After suffering my attack, I had emergency surgery to remove my Gallbladder.  My doctor, in New Mexico, told me that my attack was the result of the complications related to the Toxemia.  I have had consistent bowel problems ever since.  It is not fun at all.  I have to carry Imodium AD with me everywhere I go.  Sometimes I have to RUN to the bathroom after I drink water in the morning.  Good luck and God Bless all of you.

I had my gallbladder removed 5 months ago. Before the surgery, for three years I had problems with severe diarrhea after eating. It was very unpredictable what food/drink would trigger an attack. I would be okay for several days to several weeks, then get an attack out of the blue. A few times I had an attack while on the city bus. I never had an accident, but came close a few times. That was really frightening. I stopped eating out, including having coffee, and knew where every bathroom is around town.
  I began having upper abdominal pain and was diagnosed with multiple gallbladder stones. I did some online research before having the surgery, and read that the diarrhea would get worse. Unfortunately I didn't read the kinds of stories I've read at this site. I had no idea HOW much worse. Now I have it about 1-3 times every other day. I've changed my diet to low-fat, but it doesn't seem to matter. I still have pain where the gallbladder use to be. At times the pain is worse than a gallbladder attack. I went to a GI that suggested I have an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. The GI thinks it may be an ulcer, but who really knows.
  This diarrhea problem is really effecting my life. I hardly go out any more. Whenever I am going to be out I bring bottled water, and a banana, and don't eat before hand. I really miss going to the neighborhood coffee shops/cafes with my husband. Im sick of bottled water and bananas. I'm going to be looking for work soon (been a stay at home mom for several years), but I'm fearful that I'll have an attack, and have an accident at work. I wouldn't feel comfortable telling a potential employer that I'm rectally challenged! How have other's handled this situation with their boss/coworkers? A job dealing with the public seems out of the question. I can picture it now.... helping someone at work when I get a major bowel attack, my eyes as big as saucers, sweat on my forhead, clammy hands, major anxiety attack as I figure out very quickly how to get to the can, and not cause a spectacle of myself in the process waiting, or perhaps unable to wait for someone to take my place. It seems so potentially embarrassing.

It's good to know I'm not alone with this condition.

Good luck to you all.

Hello All..
Well I start reading all your post. And noticed we all have a lot in common.. I had my gal bladder removed in mid July-2000 . I had been having attacks as far back as a year ago but never thought it was a gal stones..  I went to urgent care numerous times.. and was diagnosed with things like Reflux esopho(whats it) and something else called a slidding hyaital(sp) hernia finally one Doc gave me an ultra sound and said You GOT STONES!!..
    2 days later I almost passed one and was rushed to the hospital for emergency Opperation.. I also had a stone stuck in my bile duct and had to have some sort of  other proceadure done. as well I think they cut into my liver to remove a 6mm stone. Since then Ive had 3 blood test becuse the dr. isnt too please with my livers "levels" I find out if Im normal on monday..
    This Friday I expericened Dumping Syndrom with extreme abdominal pain.. it was right after a heavy fat meal... ( well it was a sauage and pepper sandwich) man I was in pain.. I almost felt the same sensation last week ( after eating a Sausage and egg biscutt)  seeing a pattern here? no more sausage for me.. Im still a little  nervous about the severe pain.. It was like my gal stones attack all over again.. well I've also been taking anitbiotics recently for my tooth I had extracted.. Ive read (here) that all these are factors in the Dumping syndrome.. I have but one QUESTION.. what book or diet would any of you recommend so that I can take care of this problem? thank you  
rondo
you can email me with questions or suggestions at ***@****
Thanks to everyone who wrote into this forum.  There is more information here on what to expect after surgery than anywhere else I could find on the internet.  I am having my gallbladder removed in 3 days.  I am very nervous due to the fact of the dumping syndrome but anything is better than the horrible attacks that I get ALWAYS during the middle of the night for hours which ruins my nights and my days because I am so tired.  I am only 33 and don't want to have diarrhea for the rest of my life.  Thanks to all of your submissions, I now have some answers before the problem starts.  Also, my mom has colitis and chron's disease which both irritate the bowels and colitis is sometimes hereditery.  I never thought I would get it or have constant diahrrea like my mom since I have always had solid bowels.  I guess I am destined to be like her.  My gallbladder is very swollen and diseased with several stones in it.  The pain it gave me is worse than childbirth, which I thought was the absolute worst pain anyone could ever have.  I was wrong.  I have no choice.  One thing no one really mentioned much was weight loss or gain. One person lost weight, a few others said they gained it.  I am wondering with all the diarrhea if you lose a lot of weight because the food isn't staying with you for very long.  Please email me if you have had this experience and let me know if you have had weight loss or gain after surgery.  My email is ***@****.  Wish me luck and say a prayer for me, please!!  My surgery is Oct. 5, 2000, this Thursday.
I WISH YOU LUCK, I HAD MY GALL BLADDER REMOVED 6 YRS AGO, I STILL
SUFFER FROM UNCONTROLLABLE DIARRHEA, I HAVE BEEN ON EVERY MED ON THE MARKET. RECENTLY I FOUND A XRAY REPORT IN MY CHART AND IT SHOWS THE CHOLECYSTECTOMY CLIPS ARE STILL PRESENT ALONG WITH A
RING LIKE METALLIC DENSITY OVER MY RIGHT ABDOMEN. THE OPERATION REPORT STATES THESE CLIPS WERE REMOVED??CAN YOU FIND OUT IF THEY REMOVED THESE CLIPS NORMALLY???? I WONDER WHY NOONE QUESTIONED THE METALLIC DENSITY ALSO. IS IT CUZ DRS DONT WANT TO QUESTION ANOTHER DRS WORK. MT EMAIL ADDRESS IS ***@****

thanks let me know how your surgery went   good luck
I am 22 years old,and had my gallbladder out on September 30,2000.   I am sick of not being able to sleep at night due to the discomfort.  I just had my check-up yesterday, and my surgeon was a VERY good one.  He explained everything in great detail.  I did not think that my nausea was related until I read this site.  He also prescribed that Questrion medicine for my dumping syndrome....but in the last twenty-four hours, the problem seems to have straightened it's self out.  I may not need that powdery medicine after all!!

However, I have resumed most of my normal activities,(INCLUDING TAE KWON DO CLASSES!!) and it has only been two weeks to the hour!

I would like to send a note of sympathy out to everyone who has had this done, or ever has to...it may be the most common surgery, however, that doesn't mean it's not a big ordeal!

MY SYMPATHIES TO EVERYONE HERE.

SAMANTHA.
I had my gallbladder removed in March 1999.  I had "attacks" that would last about 3-4 hours at a time for at least 9 years on and off.  Finally that March, I had a severe attack that did not go away. After 36 hours of pain, I gave in to go to the hospital and they determined it was my gallbladder and removed it.

My surgeon told me that I would most likely have problems with diarrhea for a couple of months. That was an understatement!!  I am still having these problems.  At times it seems like it gets better but then it comes back like a bad dream.  This is so embarrassing.  I had to finally tell my husband after a bad experience of needing to go to the bathroom.  

I know all of you have heard this before but I can understand and feel what you are going through.  This is very frustrating.  I live my life based on how close I will be to a bathroom.  

Also I have gained weight since my surgery(about 15 pounds).  I don't understand this since I don't seem to keep my food for very long why I would gain weight.  

Thank you for all your information on here.  I am going to try eating a lower fat diet and see if that helps.
So glad to have found this sight, after worrying that maybe something very serious was wrong with me.  I had my GB out 6 weeks ago.  Was sore for about a week, and then made a great recovery.  About two weeks ago I started experiencing loose, frequent stools and about once a week I have tremendous stomach aches that last for about 15 minutes, usually followed by a BM.  I am going to my regualr doctor tomorrow, but I feel relieved to hear that so many others have experienced similar symptoms.
I have just read all your stories about gall bladder problems. Mine is  a little different, I have my gall bladder out because I had polyps, they were non canerous. Everything went well, 3 weeks I was well recovered, I am 53 and that was 2 years ago. BUT my problems is that I have had accute gall bladder attacks about every 4 months, in the evening, after dinner, I had a CT scan and my doctors have looked at me side ways when I described the shocking squeezing feeling under by bust and when I thought I couldnt bear any more it went away. I  didnt know what these attacks were until recently meeting an old friend who had had her gall bladder out and I mentioned what had happened to me and she told me that the pain was just like the pain she got before her gall bladder was removed.  Has this happened to anyone else I would love to hear.  Dated 24.10.2000
My problem is I never run to bathroom after eating.  I am the lucky one who always waits till I am sleeping or visiting someone out of state!!  I at this time have not had my gallbladder out but for the past few years have had tests for it and nothing.  I have pain on my upper right, some sharp, some just sore all the time.  So far test shows its fine but now I suffer from constant nausea.  Is all this normal.  I am surprised with modern technology they cannot deal with the gallblader better.  Now if they do decide to take it out, sounds like I will still suffer the same symtoms as I have now.  Yes I cramp when I have no time to get to know the toilet and maybe visit it on too many occasions but this constant nausea is what worries me but what worries me the most is all these DOCTORS who think they know best so lets put people thru ever un-human test we can come up with!!!
I have been reading all the comments of the complications of the gallbladder surgery.  I am suppose to go for my pre opt tomorrow and have my surgery tomorrow.  I haven't had the bad attacks they I have been reading about.  I just hurt alot and have a lot of stomach problems.  The ultra sound showed a stone lodged in the neck of my gallbladder.  After reading your responses I think I will cancel and wait for one of terrible attacks.
I am 17 and weigh 103lbs.  I go in Friday for galbladder surgery and I have never had surgery before so I am quite nervous.  I have however heard that constad (or something like that) helps, and it is in a pill form so you can't taste it.  Well if you have any tips or helpful words of advice I would be thrilled to hear from you.
  My email address is ***@****.
Hi all....I hope that I will not be one of the unlucky ones that will have the same results to submit. I too had to got to the ER this past Fri. (Oct.27,00) I thought I was going to die. The pain was in the places mentioned in your gallbladder letters. I had the blood test, x-rays, and ultra sound test done. The Dr. called me Mon. and gave me the news. He said ,"Do you have a surgeon of preference?" I said NO, not yet. Then I came to this site to see what help I could find...BOY, was I surprised at what I found. I do alread notice my BMs have changed in color and consistancy. I hope if and after the GB removal, if I have to have it, that it doesn't get any worse than it is now. I really do have sympathy
for all who have the Dumping Syn. I am happy to see that others are open to letting others know what to possibly expect and things that might help the DS, if they get it. I will be checking back to see if there are any new helps that work. I hope you all will find what will work for you. It isn't any fun spending all your life in the bathroom. I spend enough time there now, and don't want to spend more. God Bless and Keep you all. Keep Smiling reguardless of what may seem like the pits....always remember, it could be worse.    Jstar in Ind.
i have been told i have a lazy gallbladder and have to decide when to have surgery, i feel a litle pressure in that area but i don't want to have emergency surgery either.  does anyone have an answer for me , on what will happen if i don't get it out? i am 50 yrs. old//
I have one even better!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I spent 8 mos of pain back in 1997 with every test showing normal normal normal--my surgeon finally agreed to take my gall bladder since I had a family history of problems..One week later I returned for my follow-up to be informed "oh yes your gall bladder was chronically diseased---by the way I removed a benign tumor from your liver too".....Are you kidding me???!!! I have since spent every day of my life in pain...same area...I've gone to doctors and gone thru umpteen prescriptions and pain therapy---nothing has worked.   I, like everyone else have the dumping syndrome---but I accept that...no problem I'll deal with it , as long as someone can tell me what the heck this pain is still from.   Sometimes I get the sweats, low-grade fever, and pain like I still had my gall bladder, sometimes it even feels like a swollen lump forms under my right lower rib....It hurts worse when I lie flat, and especially after large meals.  I've been doing some research into chronic pancreatitis, and fear this could be my newly formed disease...Information shows it can be caused from prior gall bladder problems which can cause damage to the pancreas...Unfortunately I have very little faith in doctors since they never knew what was wrong with me before until they cut me open and actually found something.   Has anyone out there developed chronic pancreatitis after gb surgery???  Any "real life" input would be greatly appreciated before I go back to doctors.
I am glad that I came to this web site. My husband was just about to go to my physician to ask him what the hell had been done to me. I, at 32, had my gallbladder removed in June 2000. I too have experienced the phantom GB pains, with no reasonable explanation from the surgeon. I have the urgency to have a bowel movement soon after eating, but not after every meal. I had created my own explanation, and I think that Ralph is very much on target. I realize that the GB is a storge tank for bile (not the creator like a lady above had suggested). Since my symptoms generally occur upon eating the first meal of the day (which is usually around noon), I have concluded that over night production of bile, plus whatever is produced up until the time I eat,is more bile than is typically necessary to help process a meal. I agree that it has to be more bile in the digestive system rather than less, because there is nowhere to store the stuff. The GB probabaly acted as a regulator of sorts, and once it was full, the liver stopped producing. Now there is no regulator, and there is no middleman between the liver and small intestine. This is just my theory, but as everyone has concluded, we seem to have to do our own research and develop hypothesis based on that. Thanks for letting me know that this problem isn't necessarily a precursor to some dread disease.
I appreciate everyone sharing their sometimes private and painful gall bladder stories.  I am 41 and had mine out August of 1999, so it has been 16 months. I have had urgency and diarhea problems, but not really severe. I take colon cleanse fiber capsules every day, and eat a lot of small meals. That seems to help. However, 6 months AFTER my surgery, I started having pain in the gallbladder site like a GB attack. I have had another GB ultrasound, and there are no abnormalities in the area, the metal clips are in there, and no stones were left behind in the duct. I also have been diagnosed with GERD, which I have never had before, no doubt a result of GB removal. The acid has been so bad that it would awaken me from sleep if I hadn't taken my Zantac at night. My throat at the adams apple area started hurting so bad like I had been kicked there. It was just the acid. I sleep with my chest/head up on an angle now, and take Prilosec or Zantac.
I suppose the must frustrating thing for me and for so many of you here, is that the doctor never mentioned any of these things, or what to expect or maybe look for afterward. I thought there was something seriously wrong with me because of the pain in my GB area, and I had no idea that my sore throat was acid!! My mother (65) had her GB out this year. My sister (45) had hers out at 40. They both continue on a diet of Zantac and Prilosec.

hello,
well I'm not the only one! phew.
I find that eating fatty foods aggrivates the "dumping" thing. But, no matter what I ALWAYS have to go urgently within 1/2 hr. of eating. I try to watch what I eat, but I have gained a lot of weight since the op. Mostly, because I don't skip meals anymore for fear of gallbladder pain.
I had the operation in December of '98 (day before Christmas) as an emergency. It turns out the pain was mostly from the stones that slipped into the bile duct, and the doc said it could re-occur. Has anyone had to have that procedure again (cleansing the bile duct?) let me know if you have, email me: ***@**** Thank you, mary :)
I just found these messages by searching for gallbladder surgery complications.  My gallbladder was removed on June 23, 2000.  I had horrible pain as I was coming out of anesthesia.  It was right in the middle of my abdomen.  It hurt so badly that I started holding my breath, which helped, and sounds silly, but then I set off the monitors that were hooked up to me.  They just kept giving me more pain meds, and within the hour I was reluctantly walking out of the surgery center.  At home, I yelled in pain every time I had to get out of bed.  For three days, this continued and during that time I could only sleep on my left side and propped up.  A few days later I felt fine, except for some pain twinges that reminded me that I was recovering from a surgical procedure.  I was fine until the middle of August.  I even drove myself 1700 miles to CO and the same distance home again.  Then I found out that my husband had prostate cancer, and I began to live with stress on a day to day basis.  At that time, the bowel changes began.  Three and four times a day.  Soft stools became diarrhea, and back to soft stools, and then to diarrhea.  My pains in the gallbladder area became worse.  Now it is November, and I have had tests for parasites and an ultrasound of my upper right quadrant.  Everything was negative.  Just last week I visted an organic farm and health food store, and purchased acidophilus capsules.  I take two a day as per instructions, and I am happy to report that my stools returned to normal the day after the first dosage, and I am practically pain free.  Coincidence?  I hope not.  For now, I feel normal again.  I am only on my fourth day of the capsules.  There were several choices and I picked one called Kyo-Dophilus.  It contains L. Acidophilus, B. Bifidum and B. Longum. I take no other medications and I will be 65 in April.
As for wight gain.  You are singing my song.  I am a 43 year old female who had her gallbladder out 2 years ago after the birth of my 3rd baby.  I've gained almost 20 lbs and NOTHING is different about what I eat.  If anything I get more exercise having a toddler.  Sorry to say I'm glad to hear other people have this problem I thought I was just deluding myself about what I ate.
I have gallbladder problems today (as a matter of fact).  I called to schedule to have my gallbladder removed next week.  However, I have another complication that likely affected the function of my gallbladder.  I have Celiac Sprue Disease (CSD).  The doctor's aren't sure of the relationship between the CSD and gallbladder dysfunction.  My gallbladder works at about 19% efficiency.  Usually people with CSD will begin to re-generate the horomone (once the small intestine is healed) that makes the gallbladder contract, but that doesn't seem to be the case with me.

I was misdiagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome for many years, but finally found a doctor that took my symptoms seriously.  If you're interested in learning more about Celiac Sprue Disease, a very useful site www.celiac.com is my recommendation.  There are simple antibiody tests that can show if antibodies (characteristic of CSD) are elevated.  The final call is an upper GI with a biopsy of the small intestine to determine atrophy.  I tested positive with both.  A simple diet is used to control my problems (except for my gallbladder pain).  I encourage anyone with the "dumping syndrome" or IBS to have these tests.  The statistics are that 1:300 people have this disease.  Some people have symptoms, but some don't.  High fiber diets made me gravely ill.  Please be aggressive about your health care. 15% of people with CSD are likely to develop intestinal lymphoma (referenced on www.celiac.com).  Educate and take care of yourself!
This may be of some value....I too had my gallbadder removed about 5 years ago and is still having loose stools as well as pain simular to the gallbadder pain... Just resently I have be dianosed with a Hiatal Hernia with Inflammed Esophagusin
I had my GB out twelve years ago. My dumping syndrome always caught me on the Tube going to work - I have a 45 minute journey. After three years of various forms of high excitement I know you all know the feeling, I discovered Questran. I take a Questran powder before going to bed and my dumping syndrome is under control for the next day.Rich foods like lamb,though are best avoided in my book. One word of warning though - gradually I have developed Tinnitus. I have a high pitched engineering type sound in my right ear and it never stops. During the day it is not particularly worrying but now as I type I can hear it clearly.Is it due to the Questran? When I looked up Tinnitus on the Internet I was amazed to see Questran listed as a drug which might cause a side effect of Tinnitus. Mind you there were loads of drugs listed with a possible Tinnitus side effect. As I now need to travel on the underground only three days a week thereby being able to relax at home in the knowledge that I could stroll to the loo, I have tried to cut out a daily Questran powder just to see if I can reduce the Tinnitus. I'll report back in a few months but I understand that Tinnitus doesn't go away. Having read all your comments perhaps I am one of the luckier ones anyway and noises in the ears are a small price to pay.
The doctor started me on "Questran" to stop diareha and it has been like a miracle. It is used to help your body absorb bile salts (Which are actually prescribed as a laxative) - I have had normal bowel movements for weeks.

Hope this help. See your doctor.

Take Questran, it stops the production of bile salts which is causing people to get diareah after having their gall-bladder removed. (Bile salts are actually used as a laxative, explaining your problems)

Chris Ratterree
***@****
Howdy Folks, I had my GallBladder removed Dec 1st. If I eat out in fast food joints, within 30 minutes I have got to go to the crapper. Certain fatty foods I eat, I can actually feel, and hear the liquid, going through my system. I mentioned this to my surgeon. He laughed. See ya!
I want to know about the symptons of gallstones?
I have alot of bloating , shoulderblade pain,stomach sick, pains in my stomach,chest pain and also feel drained.
Please can you tell me if i have it bad enough to get my gallbladder out? The Doctor found out i have stones by the ultra sound test.
I recently had my gallbladder removed and was happy to be rid of the pain. I go back to my doctor tommorrow and I thought something had gone wrong till I found this site. I too have became very familiar with all the restrooms. I am going to ask my doctor about the meds. that have been mentioned here about the Dumping Syndrome. I have lost 15 pounds since my surgery, and the surgery has only been a month ago. I assume the weight lose is from visting the bathroom so much?
Hello fellow loo luvers

I found this site because I was looking up details about the drug 'Questran'.   Well now I have the answers to my problems (watery diarrhoea, and high abdo pains mostly where the GB was) and it is a comfort to know that I am not imagining all my symtoms!  

I am now 52 and had my gall bladder out about 5 years ago and apart from an increase in heartburn, indigestion and massive increase in the 'burps' when eating, I hadn't had any real problems till last year Jun 2000 when going to the loo became a very very frequent event,  enough to send me to the doctors because I thought I had a bug or worse.  To cut a long story short (well will try) was sent to a Gastrologist and was examined inside, outside and upside down (doesn't do much for self identity when you feel rotton already). Original diagnosis was Microscopic Colitis(another elusive condition), so was put on steroids which made the condition far worse and blew me up like a baloon, thankfully I am off them now, but took 3 months to find out they made me far worse.  

Had severe pains where GB used to be and round front of diaphram under sturnum, still get these now and again,  they can be frightening and was convinced I had pancreatic cancer. Anyway have had more tests including the bile salt malabsorption test which proved very positive, meaning that I was not re-using/storing my bile, does this make sense?   Presumably that means more and more is being made and the bile,  like acid is causing all the problems.  Trouble is that no-one explains anything to you and even when I ask,  the answers are evasive.  My Gastrologist is not very forthcoming with information (I seem to know more about it than he does, and typically you cannot tell him anything or say that you have found things out, without consulting him!).  

Anyway latest is that he gave me Questran to take a couple of weeks ago - and it appears to have stopped my frequent visits to the loo and I haven't had the pains so much, but that leads me to what I said originally about information on the drug.   I also have to take thyroxine because of hypothyroidism and am now worried that the Questran may affect that.  Am due to see him in a couple of weeks and possibly to have a barium meal test.  Will let you know how things go.  

To all that need the GB op, not everyone is the same and mostly things are much better afterwards,  also it is always best to get things checked out, just in case.

Best wishes to all and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Regards from Jan
I have had bowel problems for as long as i can remember i have been diagnosed as having ibs but my symptoms are worse than ibs i too have to run the the b-room all the time . when i wake up in the am i have a serious prob i go to the b-room 5/6 times b-4 i even have a glass of water and i have been on all kind of meds to treat my symptoms none of which have worked i have even been at the point where i was taking 48 imodium in a matter of 3 days i know this is not good but nothing seems to work i have been on all the ibs meds and have just got to the point where i quit eating so i dont get sick but that doesnt work for 3 dys in other words i dont eat anything for 3 days and on the 4th day the diaherea then slows down enough that i can get to the market. My diahreah symptoms r so bad i have a matter of seconds from the time the noise and rumbling in my body starts to get to the b-room. i am at the point that i carry a pair of underwear with me whereever i go in my purse/my car and at all friends homes/ now i have to carry extra shorts/pants it has gotten so bad i am now a hermit in my home . i cnt get thru a meal without going to the b-room after the 1st 3 bites of food it is like my body is rejecting all the food i put in it.... i am at the end of my rope i have seen 4 gastroenterologist and they must think i am exagerating but they should spend one day with me while this is going on and see for themselves i just recently got a new gastro dr and told him right off the start that this is the last dr i will see about this prob b-cause no one seems to care/or believe me enough to help me i have gone from weighing 140lbs to now weighing 104 lbs now dont get me wrong when i can get it under enough control and have a b-room nearby i will eat and my weight fluxuates.... i also had my gallbladder removed about 2 yrs ago and i was told that the ibs would get better after the surgery i had and incredible amount of pain after the surgery but the worst thing is that the ibs or so called ibs would get better but it got worse instead i really didnt think it could get worse than it was at the time but i was saddly mistaken. if anyone can give me any tips on how to control my out of control symptoms please tell me i am at a loss to knowing what to do.......i have to go 5/6 times b4 i even have water/coffee/tea in the am......then after another 6/7 times and heaven forbid i should eat any thing i then suffer for the rest of the day/// so i am at the point where i eat only once a day usually around dinner when i know that i will be home for the remainder of the day.,, then i suffer for the night and start again in the am.... my stool is not normal either i trully believe i have something more than ibs but drs say they see nothing... i now know i have a hiatal hernia & gerd/ all normal right? the pain from the symptoms is another topic i have tried all the fiber diets/regimens and they dont work and this dr just put me on questran said this will help ? not working yet. have been on it for about 4 dys..... i dont think this will help either but i am willing to try anything. to give you a list of all the different meds i have tried will take the page and a 1/2. any way i can relate to the many people at their end with the ibs diagnosis and treatments that dont work. the dr also mentioned a test i have never heard of and i am kinda nervous about it // it is called small bowel capsule it this dangerous and will my body be able to handle this test i am sooo tired of being the ginea pig and just want the D word to stop so i can treat my other probs.........

very tired of going to the b-room.......sandi g
i just had my gallblader removed 4 days ago i am only 23 i have delt with the recovery very well and i am up moving around and doing things like normal except i have a diffrent problem than u guys i have been constipated every since i havent used the bathroom since the day of my sergery and it is worring me i have tried all kinds of things but nothing has worked any one have a suggestion
Thanks to everyone who has written in.  Your comments have helped a lot. Sorry to the people who wrote in 2000 what Im feeling now.  Not much hope if we're still saying the same thing 7 years later.  My story: I have had acid reflux, ulcers, stomach cramping/pain, constipation or toilet sprints, since I was about 13 (30 now) after my second child Dec 96, I started having pains in the rib cage area on right side.  Doc said it was my body getting back to normal after baby.  Almost ten years later (04/06) my fiance died causing depression/stress unimaginable and leaving behind a 9 month old son and my 12 yr old daughter.  That is when all the above body problems got out of control.  8/06 I started talking to my doc about seriously starting tests (everyone said no need in the past).  He still said "not needed, all of it is stress".  A month later I began to have pain so bad I thought I was going to die, but within 15 minutes it was gone.  This went on until the surgery.  I thought I was going crazy.  11/06 My friend took me to the ER because we thought I was having a heart attack (she's in nursing). They hooked me up to an EKG monitor, I was still having twinges of pain, but all they said was my heart sped up with my pains and slowed.  I had a x rays, an mri and an ultrasound.  They said all is fine go home and get some rest.  Same thing 2 days later.  Rushed to (different) hospital, more xrays and another ultrasound, all is fine and back home to rest but this time told to call my doc.  Called him and he brushed me off for 2 days.  I told him if he didn't send me to a professional I was going to the hospital until they found something and then sue him.  He called a surgeon, she was at the hospital where all my latest tests were.  After looking at them, she called me for me to go to the hospital for a special test.  They put a dye in me and monitored it for (2) 45 min sessions.  I was supposed to wait there until she was told the results.  By the time I was done redressing (10am), I was told that I had an appt at the hospital the next day at & 7am to have my gb taken out.  I was supposed to go to her office right then for explanation then go home and plan for me to be out of commission for the next week (as far as my kids were concerned) and to tell my boss I'd see him in 3-4 wks.  My explanation was my gb opening wasn't putting out the amount of bile it should have been but bile was still being produced.  Basically my gb was going to burst.  As far as after, all she said was it would take about a year for my body to be totally better and to watch my fatty/spicy foods.  Why the ultrasound didn't show a rather large gb, who knows.  Never did anyone tell me about: possible dumping syndrome.  Actually, she said my bowel problems would be worked out and normal after this was done.  NOT!!!  First, I woke up and all I could hear was a person in pain moaning ohhhh over and over and wanted them to shut up.  I was so groggy I didn't realize that person was me until they put something under my nose and I felt like someone was stabbing me repeatedly in the side.  My O2 level dropped to 68 and wouldn't come up.  They finally got it to 80 and sent me to recovery, still moaning a lot.  They doped me up some more and within 1 1/2 hrs I went home where I spent the next 2 days not eating, sipping water, taking pills, moaning, only getting up to go to the bathroom, and could only lie on my left side w/pillow under me.  On the 3rd day, moving around some and eating a bite or 2.  4th day a little more movement/food.  5th day!!! Eating more-BATHROOM SPRINTS START.  I ate, I ran to toilet, it was gone.  This went on for about 2 weeks.  Then all of a sudden I was fine.  Surgery was the day b4 Thanksgiving of 06 and by the 6th of Dec I was in Mexico.  A trip planned for almost a year.  Fine the whole time there eating almost normal food.  The end of Dec the bathroom sprints started again but not too bad.  Still so so in July 07 feeling almost back to normal.  Aug 2nd, I started the b-room sprints 5/6 times a day, whether I ate/drank or not.  All different times of the day.  Also, gb attack pains at other times. BAD! Can't nail what could have triggered it.  Nothing has changed.  Been w/a weight management company for the last 3 months that teaches you good and bad foods, what certain foods do to your body, and how to eat healthy w/out loosing the flavor plus working out while being monitored.  Can't figure out what is going on.  All that comes out of me is water consistency and looks like nothing I've seen. (sorry for the nasty description) Called the doc, he said it was probably part of the recovery.  Same from the surgeon.  Tried to go to a different doc and they said with problems after a surgery, I should stay w/the docs I've been going to because they know what's going on.  Apparantly not!!!  I have no insurance.  No one will pay for preexisting problems.  I don't know what to do and I don't want to end up seeing lots of docs, having lots of tests, ending up w/no answers.  Any one have ideas what to do???  Taking care of 12 yr old and 2 year old w/no dad. Can't afford to miss work so I'm still working w/this problem in a busy customer service and sales job.  Any ideas/suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
I've had very similar diarrhea problems for over 8 yrs, but I've not had my gallbladder removed. So far I've just had 1 gallbladder attack, a few months ago, but I've had 8 yrs of constant diarrhea.

In my case, dieting and staying away from fats, spicy foods, meats, and even a bland diet of cream of wheat has not stopped my 3-8 daily bouts of diarrhea.

I've been to a number of Dr.s and been told it's IBS and after an Endoscopy, last month, I was told it was just a little Colitis, but I have all the symptoms of a sludgy gallbladder, so I'm reasonably sure that's what I have.

So I've give up for the most part believing in what the Dr.s have told me and I'm reading as many post as I can and trying to tie info together and find some answers that work for me...if we all do this, just maybe we can find some answers that work for us that the Dr.s have not been able to find. I'd suggest we do some research and look up on the Internet any other symptoms we have and see if anyone else with diarrhea also has those same symptoms and if they do, then post that information here. Hopefully that information will lead us to some answers or something that might lead to the actual cause of the diarrhea or at least help us slow down or stop the diarrhea. I feel at this point we all need to try to stop being victims of some problem that no one has found an answer for and be proactive and try and find our own answers.

I'll start by asking if anyone has any other symptoms that don't seem related. I've noticed that I often have a back ache in my mid to upper spine and that one of my vertebra hurts. So I looked this problem on the net and found that it's usually about T4, where the nerve from the gallbladder inserts into the spine, here. So I'm looking that that aspect to see what the connection is.

I will tell anyone who wants to know that on another board I did find a med. that seems to control the liver bile so that the diarrhea slows down. From what I read on this other board, most of the people on it are living a relatively normal life. I'm currently working on trying get my Dr. to prescribe it. Sorry I don't have the name in front of me, but it's something like Welcol..maybe someone knows the exact name..but you can read about it on healingwell.com under the section on GERD or IBS
A related discussion, surgery was started.
A related discussion, Bowel problems after gall bladder surgery was started.
A related discussion, Gallbladder Surgery - Think twice! was started.
A related discussion, I had my gallbladder taken out 2 weeks ago, was started.
A related discussion, side-effects after gall bladder was started.
A related discussion, Dumping Syndrome? was started.
A related discussion, Gall bladder removal was started.
A related discussion, life sentence was started.
A related discussion, gall bladder operation caused my problem was started.
A related discussion, bowel life after gall bladder surgery was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Gastroenterologist in your area?