Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bowel Problems After Gallbladder Surgery

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I had my gallbladder removed almost a year ago.  I've seen comments posted about this in the forum, but no real answer or explanation as to why it happens.  Luckily, I suffered no pain after the surgery; I recovered well and I am VERY HAPPY that I do not suffer through those horrible attacks anymore (the last one made me think I was going to die and I ended up in the ER with the surgery scheduled shortly after).  Anyway, I have noticed that ever since the surgery I have a MAJOR problem during and after eating.  I have to RUN to the bathroom.  I, too, am familiar with a lot of public restrooms almost anywhere I go.  Unfortunately, sometimes I choose NOT to go somewhere or NOT to eat something because I'm so afraid of what will happen later.  Is there a real medical ezplanation for this?  I asked my PCP and all he told me was to ask the doc who performed the surgery.  I was given a lot of information before the surgery, but during my TWO follow up visits, nothing about this was mentioned.  I didn't notice it until a few weeks later.  I'm ashamed to talk to anyone about it.  Is there anything that can be done?  I hate to think that this is how I have to live for the rest of my life.
Dear N.
The urge to defecate after eating is a frequent complaint and may be related to an exaggeration of the 'gastrocolic reflex', a normal event.  There is no apparent explanation why your symptoms should begin after the surgery.  Sometimes, people will change the type or quantity of food eaten and this change can cause the complaints that you describe.

I suggest that you talk with your doctors about an evaluation for the symptoms.  Workup should include a search for structural abnormalities of the GI tract, infection, and abnormalities in absorption.  There is no reason to have this fear of eating.  Sometimes, a cause is not found but symptomatic treatments are used.
I think what you descibe is frequently referred to as dumping syndrome and it occurs for some people after galbladder surgery.  My guess is that if you do a search on this site you will find more information about it.  It will be interesting to see what the doctor suggests in his/her response.  

I had my gallbladder removed about a year ago and I have some of the symptoms of dumping syndrome, but I also had them before the surgery so I'm not sure what the cause is.  Please try not to be ashamed about this or to ask questions of your doctor.  If you don't talk about it, you cant't get help and feel better!  And believe me, doctors have heard it all -- what you descirbe won't be surprising or strange to them at all.  Good luck.
Yeah, actually, many folks gall bladderless have bowel problems after eating.  I know for sure, that eating a lot of fat during a meal, will cause instant need to go to the bathroom, for some folks.  You aren't alone, by a shot, and I've discovered that my surgeon seemed to act like no one has any problems after their gall bladder is removed.
    Try going to a gastroenerologist (GI) about that, and don't be embarrassed.  Because I've had major problems with my abdomen before and since my gall bladder was removed, and because doctors don't seem to know what's wrong, I've done a lot of asking from other folks who've been through this surgery and done a lot of research on the subject.  Trust me, you are NOT abnormal.  GI's won't giggle or laugh at you.  They face this all the time.  They can surely help you.
I am about to make a decision to have my gallbladder removed. I had a gall attack 5 weeks ago. Since then I radically changed my diet and did Dr Sandra Cabolts "gall flush" 7 times with some success, however a second ultrasound shows that although all the gall stones are smaller there is still a number of them there. The gall bladder has healed in that time. Now a second naturopath has told me to get it out as I risk damaging the bile duct and being rushed to hospital with a chance of death. How big is that risk really?
please refer previous posting
I had the same problem after the removal of my gallbladder.  Twenty minutes after I ate, I would run to the bathroom.   This primarily happened after the FIRST meal of the day.  I now take Questran (commonly used to lower cholesterol) every morning.  I have to wait approximately two hours after taking the Questran before I can eat my meal without fear of experiencing the need to get to a bathroom FAST. I'm not quite sure what causes this problem.  If you have any questions, you can write to me at my EMail address - ***@****.
I had my gallbladder removed back on 14 Feb. 2000 and I'm still having loose bowels and some nausea.  The last few days though I have noticed my bowels are turning black still loose.  I left a message with my doctor concerning this and still waiting for his response.  Does anyone who had recent gallbladder surgery go through this?  Is this normal after this type of surgery?  Does it really take years for your body to feel normal again (no more loose bowels,etc.)? Any advice or comments greatly appreciated. I will be glad to hear the response I get back from my surgeon.
ear N. i had the same surgery in 1990. I also had the same problem afterword,s too.it finally subsided about 1 to 2 year,s later,i know that,s not very encouraging ,but at least it went away.gooooooood luck
I had mine taken out when I was 10 weeks pregnant in 1995.I too have this horriable problem.I sometimes do not make it through my meal before I RUN to the pot.I have just decided to eat once a day and AVOID restraunts all together.You did not mention PAIN.I have pain that is as painful as the gall bladder attacks were.Rarely, this happens to me without eating,but it does happen.My pain is so severe that if I am driving I have to pull into a parking lot wherever and it always doubles me over.I went to the ER once and they said "oh,it's just irritable bowel syndrome"
And a doc I use to have said the same thing.A year ago I heard on the radio that they were accepting people for a clinical study for free medicine for irritable bowel syndrome,and to call a 1-800 number.I did,the man asked me 15-20 questions and then said that I don't even match irrtable bowel and then hung up.I am sorry I have no answer for you,but wanted you to know that this I GUESS is what we have to SUFFER with for the rest of our lives.IT SUCKS BADLY!Get medimucil, fiber cereals and/or fiber pills.Take them for a month and see if it helps.IF IT DON'T then you don't have irritable bowel syndrome.And then ask your do and tell him you did the fiber thing.It did not work on me,Maybe you can get someone to care.I can't
Good luck bathroom buddy!
Jennifer
Good luck bathroom buddy!
Jennifer
Does Dr Cabot's gall flush actually work? I have several SMALL gall stones and went to the surgeon, without a blink of an eye he was about to rip it out.  I do not have a cholesterol problem (4.4) so I don't understand WHY ME.  The only problem I forsee with Dr Cabot's gall flush is if a stone gets caught in the bile duct, end of game... is it worth the risk?

I have now developed IBS and most days need to RUN immediately after eating.  I haven't had my gall bladder out yet and am due for surgery in april... argghhh  My Dr says the removal of my gallbladder may cause the same problems I'm already getting from IBS.. heaven forbid.

Will this ever end?  Will I ever be able to go out with my friends for dinner again?  I have a hot date coming up.. My doctor says anxiety doesn't help.. hello.. I'm anxious it's a first date for goodness sake.  How much of a turn off is it to have your date run to the loo for
Geez Louise-I just had my gall bladder out yesterday and now I'm really getting worried.  How many people have worse problems after the operation???  I don't even get a follow up visit with my surgeon since it was day surgery and there are no stitches.  HE didn't mention any possible problems.  Just that he found several liver tumors and would let my GP know. ???
I was diagnosed to have several gallstones but scared to have an operation. Please advise me.
To Elna-I would say that by the time you've suffered through a few attacks having the surgery would be a blessing.  My daughter, a nurse practioner in women's health for the US Navy, says that the successful surgeries far outweigh the unsuccessful, and we only seem to hear about the unsuccessful.  Since I only had mine out on Mon., I don't know for certain, but I'm putting my trust in a special Naval Lt.!  Go for it-I feel better already.
Dear Doctor,

I am a healthy 31 y.o male.
Recently doing a few check up tests the ultrasound found small stones in my gallbladder.
I fell no pain, I eat and drink just about every food, drinks and alcohol and had never felt a thing. When I was 14 I had hepatitis.
Do I have to have my gallbladder removed ? Do I have to go through surgery ? Is there a risk on keeping my gallbladder as it is ? What risk percentage do I have of having a pancreatitis crisis ?
I would just like to hear another opinion.
Thank you.

a.***@****
Andr
My mother has also had gall bladder surgery, and she also has the same problem.  She spends most of her time in the bathroom, one day she is constipated the other she has loose stools.  The doctors knew that it was her gall bladder because she had past a gall stone thru her heart that caused really bad chest pains.  My question is that with all the technology we have today, medication, lazer, etc.  is gall bladder surgery really necessary?  One of my friends is having problems too, in the middle of the night she wakes up and vomits, then in the morning she has diarhea (diarrhea) all day.  She is always in pain, she is pale, etc.  She has gone to a Dr. and he is performing an ultra sound..  but they seem real sure that it is the gall bladder.  To me it sounds like something else.  But my question is can lazer surgery or medication be done rather then surgery and have to live your life in the bathroom and forget about the great wonders of this world when you can't leave to do anything, afraid you would have to visit the bathroom...??

Can you please help???
My doctor gave me a prescription for Colestid, a cholesterol-lowering medicine, that eases the diarrhea a lot. Just recently my symptoms have gotten worse & I think I'll have to start taking more than just one a day. The prescription says take one three times a day, but 1-2 usually does the trick.
I to had gallbladder surgery about 6 years ago and have suffered from the same symtoms (symptoms) and am also embarassed to go anywhere, for fear that it won't strike until I am in the car and what do you tell friends, get me to the nearest bathroom quick. I have almost had an accident more than once. I never was given an explanation by my surgeon either. I hope that there is someone out there that can give us both an answer or a cure that will help us. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone.
For those with the Bathroom Connection,
I think I may be able to help here.  I had my gallbladder out about 6 years ago and I too experienced the same problems all of you have stated.  Prior to my surgery I was constipated all the time and afterwards I was running to the bathroom within 15 minutes after I ate.  This made me very nervous so I asked a couple of doctors.  The doctors couldn't answer my questions, so I looked into the problem myself through nutrition books so I could cure it myself.  What you are all experiencing is called Dumping Syndrome.  Your gallbladder is what holds the bile in your body, and bile is the enzyme that breaks down fat.  Once your gallbladder was removed so was the storage container for bile.  Now your body does not have as much bile to break down the fat in your diet.  Although you do still have bile it is not as much as before.  Try eating low fat meals, stay away from fried foods, and rich foods, and also eat small frequent meals instead of 2 or 3 large ones.  You should notice a difference.  Believe me I did.  The unfortunate thing is that after your surgery someone should have spoken to you about reintroducing fat back into your diet slowly and they probably didn't.  At least that was the case with me.  It was actually due to this that after a long time away from school that I decided to go back and study nutrition and now will be graduating in May with my degree in dietetics.  Good Luck to all of you Dumpers!!!!
I'm with mzmiller on this one..  I've just have my Gall Bladder removed on 3/13, and so far I haven't had any of these symtoms (symptoms),except for the occasional nausea from time to time,but I'm guessing that it's just from my system getting back in the swing of things after having a piece of me removed. After reading all of your posts, I'm worried is this going to happen to me?  I've spent the past four years unable to enjoy things to much due to UPQ Pain, and nausea from my Gall Bladder, and was hoping that finally I get to have my life back and go out and enjoy the things in life that I was missing.  I never had any problems with needing a bathroom in a hurry after eating before the surgery, and I was wondering what my chances are now?  I know how horrible it feels to watch everyone around you able to get out and there and live life to the fullest and be the one watching from the side lines, and my heart goes out to each and everyone of you, for I too know how it feels.  It may be different then some of you, but I can understand.  I hope that everyone finds the help they need, and is able to get back to life and forget about all of the problems that we suffer.
Just wanted to say that some people can do exaclty what Mara is recommending and still have dumping syndrome.  I've tried all the diet things and I still have the problem sometimes, regardless of what I eat.  It's fairly manageable, fairly unpredictable, and not related to what I eat.  I just wanted to post this so that people wouldn't think they were doing something "wrong" if they were eating low fat foods (or not) and still having the symptoms.  Everyone's body is different and reacts differently.  Good luck to all.
I had my gallbladder removed 5 years, after some serious episodes of pain from stones. The pain between the shoulder blades and shortness of breath were unbearable so I was relieved that the doctor was confident that the op was the answer to my problem. Since the op I have experienced regular bouts of abdominal pain which is nearly as bad as the excrutiating pain of gallstones.  Fortunately I don't suffer with constant diahhorea, but I am very embarrassed with severe flatuence.  Are these common symptons assosiated with gallbladder removal and is there any medication that can help.?
I too have had my gallbladder taken out 2 years ago and since then everytime that I eat I get horrible stomach aches and then I have to run to the bathroom.  And sometimes I just get really bad stomach aches that make me feel like I can't breath and I try to relax for a few minutes but it usually don't work.  I also try not to eat anything in the morning if I am going to go to work because if I do then I get a stomach ache and I have to run to the bathroom and hope that no one is in there.  I have also heard not to eat and drink dairy products because it upsets your stomach. I have also noticed that since my surgery I have had a really gassy stomach.  I have tried the immodium, immodium advanced, zantac, pepcid, and a prescription medicine and found that none of them work so I hope that someone has a suggestion so I can spend the rest of my life worrying about my children and not worrying about if I am going to make it to the bathroom or not.  I am only 21 I have the rest of my life ahead of me.  So if anyone can please help me.
I had my gall bladder out in May 1996. I was pretty nervous, as I was 27 at the time and had never had any type of surgery before in my life, except wisdom teeth extractions, which was no big deal for me. So needless to say, I was nervous and scared, but after years of gall bladder-related pains, which weren't diagnosed at first because nothing was found, I was willing to have the darn thing taken out once and for all. I had the laparoscopic (sp?) surgery.

Basically for me, the surgery was a piece of cake. I was given a sedative prior to the surgery to calm me down, and all I remember is being wheeled into the operating room, which was smaller than I'd expected, and a radio was blaring music, which surprised me. Then they put a mask over my face and told me to count backwards from 10. I don't think I even made it to 8 before I was out. Next I knew I was waking up in the recovery room and I was wheeled back to my hospital room. I slept a LOT that day, and had absolutely no appetite. I tried eating dinner that evening, which I only tried to eat jello, and I threw that up (due to the anesthesia reacton), so I gave up on eating that night. During the night I had to get up several times to go to the bathroom (urinate), so I'd call the nurse in and she'd help me wheel my little fluid carrier into the bathroom with me. I had crackers to munch on as the night went on, and by morning I was ready to eat a full breakfast with no problem.

I went home within 24 hours. My stomach/abdomen area was very sore, as you can imagine. With laparoscopic surgery, they make 3 small incisions. One between and a little lower than your breasts, one by the bellybutton, and one on the side of your torso. The longest one for me was maybe 1/2" to 3/4" long. I literally had band-aids on them, no stitches. My abdomen was sore for a few weeks. It hurt to sit up, lay down, push a vacuum or anything like that, it even hurt to laugh. Anything that utilizes your abdominal muscles will cause some pain. It's amazing, you don't think of vacuuming as using your abs!

The only after-effects I had was pain in my right shoulder when I would try to raise my arm above my head. I told my doctor about that during my follow-up visit 2 weeks after the surgery, and he said it was because when they do the surgery, they basically inflate your stomach/abdomen area with gas so the wall of your abdomen is away from the gall bladder and other organs. You basically look like you're pregnant during the surgery! (They also aired a gall bladder surgery on TLC the weekend after mine was done, and I watched it - WOW!) Anyway, when they're all done, they deflate your stomach, but sometimes all of the gas doesn't come out, and it may migrate to other areas of your body like between the shoulder blades, etc. I basically had to "work it out" of my system, and after a month I didn't have any more pain in my shoulder.

My personal experience with this surgery was GREAT. I had no problems and healed excellently. But not everyone will have the same experience. A friend of mine had the same surgery done, and one of her incisions was almost 3" long, due to the size of her gall bladder when they had to pull it out. And she had a lot of problems during the healing process. She told me that if she'd known it was going to be that bad for her she wouldn't have had it done! But I know that she had a lot of pain due to her gall bladder attacks, and I'm sure she's much better off now.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth here and give you an idea of what you may go through if/when you have the surgery done.
I had my gallbladder removed in 1985.  I started to have diarhea (diarrhea) also.  Needing to be very close to a bathroom after I eat. It took years to connect it.  I have been from Doctor to Doctor and not one has told me that it could be due to the surgery until I read up on it and asked direct questions.  I have had tests, probes, blood drawn, and every time I complain that my life is changed considerably because of it I get a new pill given that is going to fix everything (and it doesn't).  I have gotten to the point that I don't want to eat out because I can count on a full 3 hours of diarhea (diarrhea) afterward.  Sometimes combined with lower stomache pain that requires a heating pad and an antibiotic. The things that are the triggers are spicy foods, fat and sugar.  Take all that out and you get bland.  Bland don't always do it though.  I am very frustrated as you can see. I have it every day. Even with watching my diet and taking meds, it is every other day. Doctors need to stop being so evasive and tell their patients the truth, like "I don't know but I"ll find out" or "O.K., thats out of my expertise, I'll refer you to a specialist".
P>S>  I have a problem with weight gain since the surgery.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I don't know if it's related.
I'm sorry to hear of your frustration, you are certainly not alone. I have some advice that may help- you shouldn't be taking an antibiotic for stomach pain. This in itself will cause diarrhea and it's not going to help at all with your problem. It will kill the healthy bacteria in your gut, giving bad bacteria a chance to flourish which in turn causes diarrhea. It's especially not good to take an antibiotic when it's not needed because your body can become tolerant to it, and when you really need this antibiotic to work, it won't. Misuse also opens the door for drug resistant bacteria, which is VERY serious. Good luck.
Well it's offically been two weeks and two days since my Gall Bladder surgery, and the only problems that I've experianced are, the pain in the right shoulder that marla talked about.  It only happened once though, and not since.  I have a lot of gas, and occasional diarhea (diarrhea) after eating, but with all the problems I had before having it out, I deal with it gladly. Also a comment to Marla's post; I have had the same experiance with the surgery, with only one difference. I had my surgery on a Monday, and by Friday I was out dancing. Slow of course cause I didn't want to hurt anything, but none the less dancing.  For the most part I feel great.  I just hope it stays this way.  As for anyone going though problems, I wish you luck in finding something to help, and my prayers are with you.
This forum is great and really insight full. I too would like to add that I had my gallbladder removed 12 days ago and since then have experienced a lot of the same symptoms many others on this site have mentioned. I still have some mild pain in the gallbladder region after eating. The nurse at the hospital said it is because my body still thinks it has its gallbladder and that it will go away in time. I am also now experiencing the diarrea (diarrhea) that seems to accompany this surgery also. It is especially bad after eating restaurant food and only mild if I eat food that I have prepared myself. I don't have an immediate urge to use the bathroom after eating (thank heavens for small favors). As far as flatulation goes mine has drastically increased it is rather embarassing at times, but according to my doctor this may go away in 2 to 3 weeks as my digestive functions get use to my gallbladder being gone.
I had my gallblatter out about 5 years ago, and the diarhea (diarrhea) and frequent bowel movements did not go away.  My doctor and surgeon also poo-pooed (pardon) my symptoms.  I did discover something about 3 years later that worked well to relieve the symptoms and give me back some regularity.
   For about a three week period once a year I take (these are at a health food store) One tablet each of a two part colon cleanse formula (Ultimate Cleanse, by Nature's secret), I follow that in about twenty minutes with a 16 oz of juice containing two rounded teaspoons of psyllium husk powder (dietary fiber, like citrucel etc) and 1 tbsp. of Colloidal bentonite (Sonne's No.7: an absorbent aid in detoxification).  The fiber and clay (bentonite) absorb the toxins and mucous that the Ultimate cleanse removes.     I found that I need to do this for a week following any antibiotic treatment and again after any surgery.  Wisdom teeth and tonsilectomy in my case.
Hi there I also had gall bladder removed 6 years ago and as soon as I eat I have to run to the toilet didnt relise it was associated until seeing all these comments on this web site I am
sure it is the removal of the gall bladder that has caused this I am currently underging test as my doc thinks I have a muscle problem I will certainly mention my op to him as thinking back I have had this problem ever since the surgery
Hello everyone. I too have had my gallbladder out. My surgery was a little different than these other people. I also had a hernia repaired during the same surgery! My symptoms started during my pregnancy with twins which was six years ago(1994) . I had frequent lose bowel movements and cramping with each meal. I pretty much lived with the symptoms thinking that I just had a change in my bowels since having the twins, not knowing that this was abnormal. My attacks got worse until I finally went to see a Doctor(1999). I was sure that I had a hernia, but my Doctor said he felt that it was a gallbladder problem. Tests confirmed the gallgladder thiery, and surgery was needed. During surgery the Doctos discovered the hernia and repaired that also. Since my surgery my bowels have gotten worse. Depending what I have eaten, I can have as many as 3 lose bowel movements immediately after each meal or snack! There is usually a lot of cramping and sometimes a feeling like there is a knot just a few inches below my sternum and /or a nautious feeling. My bowel movements changed so drastically going from 1 movement every 2-3 days to several at each meal. I am a 28 year old with 4 children and an owner of a cleaning service, I do not have time to sit in the bathroom all day. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
My gallbladder was removed over 10 years ago, I have the same problem with dirrehea after I eat, however, in time it has lessened; perhaps because I eat a diet low in fat and sugar and small amounts at a time.  However, I've found the symptoms worsened if I eat too fast.  In addition to this, I have gastroparesis.  My next question, when I eat too fast or too much fat, I now have an allergic type reaction with severe stomach cramps and hives and itching all over.  Because I've found a pattern, I can control the hives and itching better. Initially it was thought to be a food allergy, but I feel it is somehow related to too much fat?  Anyone else experience this?
I am 46 years old and had my gallbladder removed in 1971 when I was 17 years old.  The surgery was done the old fashioned way and the recovery process was slow and very painful.  But nothing to the pain and agony I went through till I had surgery.  I too have had episodes of the Dumping Syndrome ever since.  But my doctors told me it had to do with the digestion process and the absence of the gallbladder which was a bile producing organ. Bile is necessary in digestion.

I finally was diagnosed with IBS and I do have some food allergies. I have found if I delay my first meal of the day and eat sparingly at that first meal I do better through out the rest of the day. Believe it or not the product that will calm my stomach and settle me down best is Pepto Bismal.  I have been prescribed many RX's over the years... Imodium (immodium) helped too.

In the beginning it was much worse than now. (Being pregnant was the worst I ever had the diarrhea, I was hoping for constipation like the rest of my friends.) Now I go weeks or months with pretty much a normal approach to BMs. But stress can wreak havoc on me, and once I start having episodes, it takes time to settle back down.  It is something I have learned to live with and tolerate.
I had my gall bladder removed in October of 1999.  The surgery itself was relatively painless and I suffered no complications.  I was up and about in just a couple of days.  However I have noticed problems with constipation and/or diarrhea since the surgery.  It is often the first meal of the day that causes the diarrhea.  After reading all of your comments, I feel better because I was beginning to think I had developed a more serious problem such as cancer.  I have never mentioned any of these symptoms to my doctor.  At my post-op visit I was told that I may have problems with diarrhea immediately after the surgery but I was not told that it would last for any length of time. I still suffer from occasional bouts of nausea.  I just try to watch what I eat.  All in all, I'm glad I had the surgery because the pain associated with gall stones is something I never want to feel again.
I, too, had my gallbladder out and had diarhea (diarrhea) immediately after meals.  I finally went to an internist who did an endoscopy and colonoscopy.  Even after I had not eaten any foods and purged myself for the scope, I had large amounts of bile in the stomach and bowels during the scopes.  

It never mattered what I ate to cause the urge.  For me it happened as often as 3 times a week, prolonged for a couple of hours.  Very difficult to eat out and travel to say the least.  My social life was becoming a thing of the past.

The doctor put me on Questran, (someone else mentioned that above), and I have been worry-free for three weeks.  I now believe that my gallbladder had been the source of my problem while it was in (for I have had rapid-bowel problems thoughnever diagnosed as such)since I was about 27 years old.  I had it taken out when I was 51.  Then it became almost impossible.  

I put up with this for about two years before going to the internist.  And on top of this, somewhere along the line I developed GERD.  The result was a bile-stained esophagus that must have hidden the Barrett's, because the internist didn't realize I had it until the polyps he removed confirmed Barrett's.

Barrett's is very serious, and if you have GERD as well, please have an endoscopy done.  You don't want to end up with this potentially deadly disease that seems to be irreversible.

But, praise the Lord, I can walk four or five miles a day again without having to fear what I would do if I needed to go to the bathroom.

If you haven't, ask your doctor about Questran and give it a try.  It has delivered me from the fear of going out in public situations, and is enabling me to become active again.

This is three weeks-experience talking; I know that's not a lot.  But I have never experienced three weeks of normalcy in this regard for YEARS!

Good luck to all of you and may God bless you.
Hi all fellow gallbladderless people

Thankyou for your information about post gallbladder surgery.

OK I have different issues since my operation 6 months ago.

I too have extreme bouts of tummy aches at times, but most of all, ther are times where I have a very sore lower back, (as if there are clamps on either side) with slight nausea, and 9 times out of 10 extreme consitpation.

I have begun to drink a glass of prune juice everyday and have found this cure to help greatly.

Anyway it is a constant reminder to eat and drink healthily.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Antonia
I'm so glad not to be alone with this problem....5 years ago I got my gallbladder out and started having problems just like you. Cramps, nausea, diarhea (diarrhea)....oh my!Here's some things I have found out because I have a very cool doc:

A pill called Colestid can slow diarhea (diarrhea)
There are anti-spasmodics that can help significantly so I don't have the extreme cramping after eating (they are way better than the **** you buy at the store)
Restaurants use vegetable oil on their grills.  It changes properties when it is heated and can cause the "dumping reaction" that we all seem to suffer from. We basically can be allergic to it.
Use olive oil.
Avoid large amounts of pasta.(lots of fat)
Avoid caffeine, spicy foods, micro-beers (LOTS of fat)
Take Flax Seed Oil (2-4 a day depending on your tolerance)  It decreases gas, pain, colesterol, etc.  It is also very good for your heart. You can get it at GNC or other health food stores.
Drink lots of water

About 30% of all gallbladder removals create people like us.  There is very little they can do at this point since their are so many variables to diet, etc.

I can't eat red meat anymore, it makes me very sick. I can eat chicken, turkey, pork (if its not too fatty), and ham.  I eat lots of vegetables (steamed)and rice and potatoes.

I have the further complications of my stomach not dumping correctly and my pancreas doesn't produce the enzymes I need to digest food.  So now I get to take  5enzymes every time I eat and take 2cc of erythromyacin (a smaller dose than even infants) to force my stomach to dump correctly. I have also had 5 procedures on my bile ducts and pancreatic ducts becasue they have become blocked.  The Flax Seed will help prevent that from happening again. I am a medical nightmare.....
HI BATHROOM FRIENDS! ALMOST 10 YEARS AGO I HAD MY GB REMOVED ON AN EMERGENCY BASIS. STONES HAD DROPPED IN THE COMMON BILE DUCT AND I WAS VERY JAUNDICE. I TOLD MY DOCTOR TIME AND TIME AGAIN THAT I HAD THIS DIARRHEA EVERYTIME I ATE AND ALWAYS HAD TO GO TO THE BATHROOM AFTER AND SOMETIMES DURING A MEAL.MY DOCTOR ALWAYS WOULD TELL ME IT WAS ALL IN MY HEAD. A YEAR AGO I MET THIS OLDER DOCTOR AND HE TOLD ME THIS WAS KNOWN AS BILIARY DYSKINESIA AND PRESCRIBED QUESTRAN LIGHT FOR ME TO DRINK TWICE A DAY. I HAVE BEEN IN THE MEDICAL PROFESSION ALMOST 10 YEARS AND I KNEW ALL ALONG I WASN'T CRAZY! I SEE PATIENTS THAT HAVE THE VERY SAME THING I DO AND NOW THE MD I WORK WITH TAKES THESE PATIENTS VERY SERIOUS NOW. I AM GLAD TO HEAR THAT THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE WHO ALSO GET THE "TROTTS"!
I am hoping that someone can help.  I had my gallbladder removed almost two years ago.  My experience was great, other than than the occasional bouts of the runs.  However, mainly in wee hours of the morning, I experience an intense burning in the area where my gall bladder was removed.  This burning is so intense that it causes me to curl into a ball.  I have found that it takes about a half an hour and several glasses of water to get rid of the pain. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know what causes it?  Please help!
Any thoughts?   I had my gallbladder removed 2 yrs ago, everything was fine, i experienced the "dumping syndrome" (now i have a name for it)  but i have had a problem with that for years and years, other family members do too,  figured i had ibs or something.  anyway,  when i had my sugery they found 3 adhesions, it is my understanding that these normally result from surgery, but i never had surgery before.  dr. didn,t know but said these can develop from infection.  so i was great, until last summer, woke up the wee hours,  vomiting and diarrhea and severe pain in urq.  just like my gallbladder.  i would have thought i had the flu or something if not for the pain exactly in the same area.   since that time i've had several more of these "attacks".  but the main problem is i have continuing pain in my "phathom"  gallbladder.  i can't see any connection in what i eat it doesn't seem to matter.  i've had a ct scan that came back normal.  so now i'm going to a specialist.  i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with adhesions not resulting from surgery and if they could have been part of my problem all along.
Hello Fellow "Dumping" Buddies! You guys just don't know (well...actually you probably do...) how happy I am to find others who are currently suffering from the "Dumping Syndrome" in varius degrees after they have had their gallbladder removed. I was beginning to think that I was the only one with this problem and it has had me worried. I am 27 and had never had any problems like this before I had gotten pregnant. I developed gall stones during pregnancy and I can honestly say that pain was worse than labor itself! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! Anyway, I had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks after our son was born and since then I have been afflicted with this "dumping syndrome", gas, and bloating. It will be 3 years this August that I have lived with this--some days it is worse then others. Just last week I went back to the doctor who performed the surgery to ask why this was happening. I was told that 98% of the people wh have this medical procedure done experience no problems, but that there is a 2% (andI guess that is all of us here) who do experience some form of problem. Now I have not had any more pains in my tummy that were like the attacks (thank goodness!) but this loose bowel stuff has got to go. The doctor took blood and stool samples to run scans on and I am supposed to meet with him in 3 weeks. During this time he has had me cut out my dairy products completely, though he said that a minimal amount of cheese was okay. From experience I have found that if I cut out a lot of my sugar, fat, caffine, and spicy food intake it does help. I know it is hard to give up your favorite foods, but it really does help with the problems. He also put me on a high fiber diet and wanted me to take Citracil---I couldn't take that stuff when I was pregnant and I can't stand it now so I think that I will try the Flax Seed Oil that Veronica mentioned above. I also drink LOTS of water. I keep hoping that my body will correct itself but I don't know if that will happen. I, too, have had a fear of colon cancer but the doctor says not at my age. I have a paranoia of cancer as it is and would like to have a colonoscopy done as well as the test where you swallow that tube, but I am a little hesitant about those tests since the proding is just not natural as it is going in a body opening that is specifically meant for exiting! And the gagging during the other test---UHH! Can anyone tell me what those tests are like? Are they painful? My post may come across as being humorous in certain places, but that is the only way I can deal with all of these problems since they are really starting to get me down now. I just want to go back to being normal.....
Fellow bathroom budies,

I know how most of you feel.  I have had the dumping syndrome for awhile myself.  Not only have I had my Gallbladder removed, I had a Nissen Fundoplication (stomach wrap) for GERD three months prior to the GB removal.  Then to make things even more fun, 15 months later had hiatal hernia repair and a Cassel (half wrap).  Needless to say, my intestinal tract feels as though it's been terrorized.

I had some problems with dumping due to lactose intolerance prior to any of the proceedures.  It just seems much worse now than before.  I find that eating more than a very small serving of anything fried makes me nauseaus, gives me stomach pains and wish I hadn't eaten what looked or sounded so good.  I am also having problems with gas.  Sometimes GasX will help with gas pains, but doesn't help with the noise/smell problem.  I am fortunate that my husband has a good sense of humor!  I can honestly say that I too know where the bathroom is in most resturant chains.  I for one have gotton over the embarrasment of the trots.  Life is too short.  Most people that know me understand that an awful lot of this is out of my control.  Sometimes I can go for a week without an episode.  Some weeks are nothing but running in and out of the bathroom.  I try to let nature take it's course as much as possible.  However, when I have been traveling recently I did lean on Imodeum to slow down the "flow", so to speak.  It worked well enough.  However, it took a couple of days before I had anything other than gas.  Then I spent the entire day in and out of the bathroom.  I am also lucky to have my desk right next to the bathroom at work.  This has been a lifesaver many a time over the last 3 years.

To the people that are staying at home and missing out on life,
please get out and enjoy.  If people can't understand that "**** happens"(pardon the pun and the language), it's their problem - not yours.  Take an imodeum,pass on the foods that bother you and eat like a bird.  I am a happy meal gal these days.  Experiment going out with a friend who knows what happens to you.  If they don't know about this right now, take the time to explain it to them.  A good caring friend will do everything they can to make you feel more comfortable about the situation.

Sorry this was so long.  I really appreciate knowing that there are many others in the same boat.  You can email me at ***@**** if you wish.

Tonio
I have been in the same situation as most of you. I had my gallbladder out 8 years ago at age 17 my surgery went great and i would do it again. As for the bathroom problems after surgery know one warns you about that they told me i could eat what i wanted well needless to say it didn't stay with me long. I should have owned stock in immodium ad. I finally talked to my doctor about this problem and she advised me to change my diet she recommended shredded wheat for breakfast,to stay away from a large about of rich foods like chocolate and peanut butter, to stay away from large amounts of fried greasy food. She wanted me to add more fiber to my diet and it worked. It can be hard to talk to your doctor about but i'm glad i did my bathroom habits are right back to normal and i can now eat what i want. Hope I was of some help.
for dirreha try eating a couple of archway coconut macaroon cookies a day. this has helped a lot of people, my wife being one of them.
Sandy - or anyone else who may need to have an endoscopy or colonoscopy.  I've had both - the endo prior to my GB removal and the colonoscopy a couple of years after my removal.  While either test seems traumatizing just in concept, please realize that the anticipation is worse than the event.  I was particularly freaked about the endoscopy, all that worry about how can I swallow the scope, etc.  You are so doped up, and it's actually pretty small - you won't realize it.  I promise.  Not only are you on an IV and very relaxed and happy, you're in the twilight.  You have a moment of recollection where they're telling you to swallow, and then they hit you with more drugs and you don't know what's happening. I was out for the count until I woke up as they pulled it out.  I had a small coughing moment as it came out, but AGAIN, I wasn't really aware of it.  I promise, it's not worth the working yourself into a fit.   I am such a coward and a weenie.  TRUST ME! As far as the colonoscopy, the "cleansing process" is tiresome - you drink a gallon or so of "nulitely" (we called it go-litely, but you'll be clean as a whistle afterwards).  You'll probably never order a cherry sno-cone again, since that is a flavor option.  Better to have it than no flavor though.  Same routine with the drugs.  Now, I admit, I had a tad more cramping than I thought, but again, the wonder of muscle relaxants and versed, which gives you amnesia while you're in the process and afterward, is particularly good.  I found that the key to my being able to tolerate all of this, is to go to a doctor who is a warm, communicative and reassuring human being.    This helps alot!!!You'll be glad you had the test and got it over with.
I had my gallbladder removed 2 yrs ago and I experience all the symptoms that i have heard on this page and more.  Everytime I eat I have to run to the bathroom, it is very hard to be out in the workplace or anything that is on a schedule because i never know when i need to go to the bathroom. I have to go when it is ready not when i want to go. Usually I will be lucky to get a few minutes of rest after eating before i run to the bathroom!
    From reading this I have noticed that the doctors have never told us in advance that we would have this problem... All i was told was that i would have softer stools. Yeah right that is only the beginning of it! I am an overweight women i have been for most of my life but i think that what it is going to come down to is absolutely no fat in the diet . I do notice that it is worse after eating fatting foods. So we will see what happens I have been hearing about health food stores and how they can help with alot of things... maybe that is something we should all consider is checking what health food stores have to offer us !! Please let me know of anything that can help my situation and yours!!
I had my gallbladder taken out 6 years ago, 5 weeks after the birth of my second baby. Nurses in the E.R. told me it is common to have gallbladder flair-ups after giving birth. Well the sergery (surgery) was uneventfull. but the air-absorbtion ranked up there with labor pains. Ever since I feel like I have christened every restroom up and down the eastern seaboard!!! I have had times when my stomach was "normal" and then it starts back up again. I'm sick and tired of pooping my brains out! It's physically exausting.Not to sound gross but most stools do have a bile-like coloration. The Dr that did my sergery (surgery) did say that without a gallbladder, your body had excess bile. If I get side tracked and skip a meal then I might as well forget it. Sometimes the urge is so painful and swift It's all I can do to keep from having an accident.I can hear and feel the liquid rolling thru my lower stomach.Stress (in my case a divorce) made me very ill. I know if there is stress you can find me in the John. I am recenty doing research on INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE, SHORT BOWEL SYNDROME, CHROHN'S AND COLITIS. Each have similar but different symptoms. Do your own research before going to the Dr. This is not in our heads!!Sometimes we have to tell them what to do!!!!!!
I had gall-bladder surgery about 7 years ago.  Since then I have had to evacuate a little bit after eating.  I have to wear something to keep from having an accident.  I have accidents and don't even know it until 'after the fact'.  I go through about 10 or 12 mini-pads a day.  I do know that fatty foods hurt, fried foods hurt and just about everything else.  I feel for all of you with this syndrome.   I just don't know what to do......
Hello all.  Thanks for the comments here which I hit with a search to find a solution to this problem.  The frequent mentioning that you have already asked doctors about this and came up empty is not encouraging.

I had mine out 6 years ago.  I asked a co-worker at the time what the effects were of losing a gall bladder, and the answer was that unless she ate a big breakfast, she would get diarrhea, so she smiled and said "so I eat a big breakfast!" :)  She was a little on the heavy side and this obviously was not punishment to her.

I have always experienced the same as all of you, but a few comments threw me off, such as there is less bile than before.  My basic reasoning is that the gall bladder stored bile, and without the storage it is going directly on into the stomach.  The less food is eaten, the more bile accumulates, so that when anything hits the stomach, the **** hits the fan, figuratively, literally, etc.

My experience has been that this is almost calcuable based on time since last eating.  There was advice on eating frequently and in small amounts, which was good but I think it's a little bit more accurate to say eat normal sized portions frequently rather than a big meal infrequently.  It is ironic that the very act of delaying from eating out of fear of the results is the cause of the results.  Eating frequently keeps the bile used up and results in normal bowel movements, in my experience.

I also had concluded from past experience that heavy foods, such as steak, were best at keeping the system moving normally.  I now see from these posts that bile is used on fatty meats and fried foods.  My advice is the opposite of some of the above.  Eat normally and every few hours, and the bile will be used up as it is created.  You will have as normal a digestive system as before, without the gall bladder attacks, which I agree with one writer above, I thought I was going to die before going to ER and into surgery, after years of attacks that I thought were gas related because my stomach was swelled up so hard.  But of course that was a response to the severe pain underneath emanating from the gall bladder and not gas related at all.

For various reasons, I haven't had the time for the past three days to eat enough, and now have non-painful diarrhea, or a purely water based bowel movement, if you will, for the last two or three days.  Partly I want to shrink my stomach, and I am willing to deal with this side effect in the process.  The stomach has shrunk down quite a bit ove the last three days as I ate very minimally, but I was hoping to find a bile nullifier other than heavy foods as a permanent solution.  Believe me, I was quite shocked to find that doctors are so clueless on this subject.  I am just conjecturing based on experience, and the key is whether bile is generated as a result of eating foods that require it for digestion, therefore a diet avoiding the foods mentioned in previous posts would skirt around the problem somewhat, or whether bile is produced steadily and must be used up and flushed out before it accumulates.  The fact that a gall bladder stored bile for use when food arrived for digestion suggests to me that it is produced ahead of time and is now sitting in the stomach instead of the gall bladder, producing the undesirable diarreah (diarrhea).  Speaking of which, as I type this, I can attest that the stomach will continue to churn away on nothing and produce more watery output even when absolutely nothing is eaten or drunk in the last 15 hours.  Sorry, gotta go! :)

Ralph (***@****)

P.S.  I will send this to the e-mail addresses mentioned in the various posts that were looking for help, hoping that it is of some help to you youngsters (I am 48) who are pessimistic about living with these symptoms amidst a social life.
Ralph, have ever thought of going into research.  Your power of reasoning is very impressive.  I had mine out 5 months ago and am having the same problems as the rest of the folks here only not as severe.  I have a pretty normal bowel movement in the morning. I have a bagle with no fat cream cheese in the morning for breakfast and am o.k. until lunch. About a half hour after lunch I am in the bathroom just like clock work with diarrhea then I am usually o.k. until the next morning.  Anyway, what you say makes a whole lot of sense to me and I think I will give your idea of eating frequently thoughout the day a try.  I am lucky in that I lost 20lbs. after my surgery and was under weight to begin with.  The removal of my gall bladder was actually just part of the surgery that they did as a result of my having an aneurism (aneurysm) on the blood vessel feeding my liver and gall bladder.  They found another vessel feeding my liver so they just did away with the bad one that also fed my gall bladder.  Thanks for sharing your clear thinking with us.
Hello All,

I had my gallbladder removed about 3 weeks ago.  Prior to the
surgery I had servere attacks about once every two years.
An ultrasound detected several stones.  My doctor said I should
have the surgery.  I asked about the side effects and he said
some people report using the bathroom more frequently.

I had NO idea frequently would me everytime I ate.  Sometimes
I do not even finish eating all of my food and I have to go
to the bathroom.  I have severe diarrea (diarrhea).  

If I had known that I would have to use the bathroom so
often I would not have had the surgery.  This is ridiculous.
I do not want to go through life like this forever.  I can't
eat when I am traveling.

At least I know that I am not isolated.  I pray for a cure
of this.

I'm so glad to have found this forum! I had my gallbladder removed 8 months ago and have become best friends with the toilet since! I don't think I've had a regular BM since I had the surgery- only constant diarrhea. I've been to 2 different doctors in the last 2 weeks and neither of them have mentioned "dumping syndrome". I've watched my diet like a hawk- monitoring everything I've eaten- thinking that I'm allergic to some type of food that is causing these sudden rushes to the bathroom. I'm 22 years old and believe me- it's a killer on your social life when you can no longer go out to dinner and then out for the evening- for fear of when 'it' strike again! So basically what all y'all are telling me is that there is nothing wrong with me- and that I'm going to be going to the bathroom 5 or 6 times a day for the rest of my life! That's reassuring. At least now I can go to the doctor and just tell him (how sad is that that they can't diagnose me) that I have this "dumping syndrome" and can I PLEASE have some sort of medication to regulate it. I've gotta do something- or I'm going to fail my classes in school because I can't even sit through a whole session!
I have had my galbladder out a little over a year ago. I have the bathroom problem also. I also still have pains where my galbladder was. They have done ultra sounds, x rays , upper GI and now going for a C-t Scan. They have no clue what is going on. They just say it must be IBS. And I have totally disagread with what they think. The pain is the same and I didn't have the bathroom problem untell about a month after I had my GB removed. There has to be something out there. I was so happy to have found this sight. I thought that I was the only one that had pain and this problem.
thank you
from tired of the  test and not knowing
I am in the process of having gallbladder surgery and it will be done in the last week of July.  A friend of mine who had gallbladder surgery as well, had told me about her problems.  As a matter of fact, she and I used to work together and go eat lunch and I witnessed this first hand.  I thought maybe it was just her but my mother had the same problem too.  Thanks for all the advice.  Now I know what questions to ask my doctor.
I am experiencing deja vu after reading through some of the posted comments!  I had my gallbladder removed in 1990 and have suffered from the "dumping syndrome" ever since, yuck!  How familiar it is to hear your stories of dwelling around the bathroom for several minutes after eating.  I, too, have been unable to get a medical answer as to what causes this problem.  My mind started wandering over the gallbladder removal process and got me to thinking "what is different about me since having surgery"?  Well duh, I have no place for bile to collect and store itself as needed..... Best I can recall, I was never informed of this "condition" while going through pre-op check ups.  It would be nice if this was addressed before hand - whether you end up suffering from this or not!
After my gallbladder surgery 5 years ago I had the same problem with bile dumping.  My doctor put me on colestid. Sometimes I need it several times a week and sometimes I can go for months without a problem.  Colestid has solved my problem.  It must be taken two hours between other medications and I put the powder in applesauce when I take it.
I had my gallbladder removed about 2 months ago.  I have been experiencing liquid diarhea (diarrhea) after meals followed by sometimes extreme weakness.  This passes after about 30 minutes.  I am currently seeing a gastroenterologist who has done some stool testing just to rule out.  I have not recieved those results yet.  HE told me I could experience these symptoms from 6 months to a year until my liver can regulate the amount of bile it secrets in the stomach.  I had started using a fiber supplement that I thought was working now it is not.  When I get relief I will share it.  In the meantime I am going to mention Questran to see if that will work for me.  Bye for now.
I began having attacks in June 1997. The pain was unimaginable. I geniunely thought I was having a heart attack. On one occasion I was taken out of my office by ambulance. I was given all kinds of explainations. The ER doc said that it was stomach spasms, whatever that is. He gave me some med that made me feel really weird & sent me home. Another time my PCP indicated irritable bowel syndrome or possibly reflux. He gave me another med & sent me home. I never seemed to drive the point home that this pain was such that it would drop me to my knees. When I realized that I was going to have another 'attack' & was fortunate enough to be at home I would shed my clothes & brace myself on the sofa or bed & 'ride' it out without being able to do much other than shallow breathing. At some point during these attacks I began vomiting.
  After spending one night doing this I decided that I had had enough & was going to take charge! I went to my doctor that day & DEMANDED some tests of some sort. That is when the gallstones were found. I had my gallbladder removed in April 2000. I have felt SO MUCH BETTER since then! I never have a stomachache, never miss work...I am a new person! :-)
  Now that a few months have passed I have began feeling a little uncomfortable after big meals. The meal doesn't have to be high in fat. I do remember seeing somewhere (on the net) that after gallbladder surgery your body doesn't have the bile necessary to digest a large meal that quickly & the result is discomfort & diarrhea. I will gladly take this over the pain that I had before!
Take care & good luck to you all!
Tammy
***@****
I am 47 years old. I hAD GALLBLADDER surgery 7 yrs. ago.  I too
have the dumping thing.  If i eat chinese food...I run to the
toilet before I finish eating.  Or for that matter most anything
with fat in it.  No matter how small amount of fat.  It has gotten better over the years.  Not as much urgency as it was at
first.  At first I had absolutely no control!! I had a few acc-
idents to say the least.  So I have and had to be careful of what I ate in public.  I have learned to "listen" to my body too.  As soon as I feel churning or pressure, I look for a toilet.  Recently a GI dr. prescribed COLESTID.  I am anxious
to try this.  He is starting me on 1 gr. a day.  Good luck all!
I have the answer for you. I also had my gall bladder removed years ago and had the same urgency problem. I now take a very inexpensive med called "colestid". It absorbs excess bile in the gut that is making you have to rush to the restroom after meals. I also take no less than 6 fibercon a day. I know this sounds like it will only make things worse, but it actually helps to also absorb the excess bile spilling into your gut because you have no gall bladder to control it. ask your doctor about Colestid, it is a cholesterol lowering drug which is also given to absorb bile,,,, good luck
First of all, a big THANK YOU! to everyone who's taken the time to post to this list. It really helps to know that we're not alone ...! I had my gall bladder removed 5 years ago and experienced exactly the same digestive troubles as everyone else on this list -- and I'm a professional singer, so imagine being stuck on stage for 90 minutes when tummy troubles strike! Through trial and error I discovered a cheap, simple, one-step solution which works incredibly well for me as long as I follow it religiously on a daily basis. It's basically restored my digestion to normal, allowing me to once again live my life without constantly worrying about the location of the nearest toilet. Here's what I do: once a day (usually mid-morning), I put two heaping TABLESPOONS of whole psyllium husks into a 16-oz glass, fill the glass with cold water, stir thoroughly and drink it down as fast as I can. I usually follow this with another 16-oz glass of water (or as much as I can take). Plain psyllium isn't the greatest tasting stuff in the world, but I've learned the hard way that it's better to go through 30 seconds of drinking this than to spend the entire next day running back and forth to the bathroom. Those of you who are at your wits' end suffering with this dreadful diarrhea might want to at least give it a try; like I said, this one step is all it takes for me to have solid, comfortable bowel movements the next day. Bulk psyllium husks can be bought cheaply at any health food store. They contain no calories, carbohydrates, sugar or fat, and are much better for you than those fiber preparations which are full of sugar, chemicals and artificial flavors. And while two heaping tablespoons may seem like a very large dose, I've learned that this is what it takes to deal with my excess bile. You may need more or less depending on your personal digestive system, but this is probably a good place to start. Good luck everyone!
It's nice to know there are others who can relate.Here's my story.Since having my gallbladder removed i can't eat anything with even the smallest amount of fat in it.When I do,you know the rest.I have also experienced pains where the gallbladder used to be,though not often.I also have constipation problems more than I ever did before.I'm living on bagels,pasta and salad,though raw vegetables fly through my system these days(another new development).I'm thinking about cutting out the quantity of carbs and sugar (same thing I know) as folks on this site are saying cutting out sugar has given them some relief.I will say that I am glad I had the old GB removed.The trouble it caused were immense.I do wish,however,that some trained professional would have at least warned me about all this.what do you think of my idea about cutting the carbs out? If anyone has a chance,let me know.Thanks and good luck y'all!
I have the same problem that you all have and have had it for the last several years. But there is something that I am very concerned about and that is... With having diarehha all of the time isn't that hard on your bowels and your whole system? That is one of my major concerns, I just wonder how long my bowels can withhold having diarehha all of the time, I wouldn't think it would be good on them, unless it is because it always keeps you flushed out!!! Well if anyone has a answer to this please let me know. Thanks and have a great day!!!
Well, I'm glad to see I am not alone, sitting on the throne!! We need to have humor to deal with this.

I too recently, May 2000, had my GB removed, surgery was emergency as the GB was packed with stones and infected badly.

Since the surgery I have had minor pains in the GB area, usually after eating, but they subside after alittle while.  Some pain in the upper right side of my back after alot of activity that involves using the right side of my body, shoulder and arm.

But the big problem is the IBS or the runs especially after being active or having a large meal..I have not found a happy medium yet, but am looking.  I don't not want to become less active as I will put on weight, yet, running to the bathroom is not quite what I had in mind.

I hope to take some of the suggestion from this forum and find a solution to the problem.  Thanks.
I JUST HAD MY GALLBLATTER OUT THE ONLY PART THAT I REALLY HATE IS TO LOSE A PART OF MY BODY. AND MY DOC,NEVER SAID A WORD ABOUT BOWEL MOVEMENTS AFTER I EAT REAL QUICK.WILL IT LAST FOREVER, HOW SOON CAN I GO BACK TO WORK AFTER WORDS?????????????????
Hi I had my gallbladder and one very large stone in the common bile duct removed in an emergency operation 3 weeks ago and spent 12 days in hospital.  I had no episodes of nausea before or after the operation until I had the 't' drainage tube (which had previously been clamped)removed in outpatients and now just have a feeling of nausea in my throat several times a day...is this the usual pattern?  I found that I was given no dietary advice but was starving a couple of days after I came home and fancied fish, mashed potatoes and salad for nearly every meal for some obscure reason! I have been putting olive oil and lemon on the salad so am now trying to cut down on the olive oil to see if that helps the nausea.
I also find that when I wake up in the morning or during the night my stomach feels really sore and I still find it hard to take a really deep breath without getting 'a twinge' and it's uncomfortable if I lay on my side.  I have also experienced some 'dumping' though this is now improved from what it was before the operation when I couldnt eat salads or fruit at all without getting diarrohea.
Hello:

I had my gallbladder out last Saturday. It has only been a week, I know but I am pretty sure I have dumping syndrome. I read that if you had this diarrhea problem PRIOR to the surgery, it is probably NOT related to the gall bladder. That just does not make sense to me.
My gallbladder was so necrotic and gangrenous that I am sure it was not working for quite sometime, despite my having only ONE attack. If my gallbladder is not functional, isn't it fair to say that you would have an excess of bile thus causing diarrhea? It only makes sense to me.

So, here's  my take on it. All my doctors act as if gallbladder removal is as simple and symptom free as removing a wart. The did not inform me as to what to watch out for, what to expect. I am now VERY concerned that at 37, my QUALITY OF LIFE, has been diminished because of my frantic trips to the bathroom. It may seem like a small problem in lieu of other problems, but when you measure your life by its "quality" it is a serious problem and should be treated that way.

I have yet to meet ONE gallbladder removal patient who has NOT experienced this problem. Granted, I had no choice but to remove the gallbladder as it was severely infected and gangrenous. I did not want to die. That being said, WHY does it seem that the surgeons who perform our operations, refuse to properly inform us? Are we not adults who deserve the whole picture? Can't we be trusted with the information?
Sorry for this diatribe, but I am too young to limited in this way. It makes me angry. Thanks for listening.
I'm 18 and went to hospital with adomal pain..then next day i was to have my apendix removed when i came out of surgy i was told i had that out plus my gallbladder...the frist few days i was constapaded but no io also i problems running to the bathroom and belive me it's no fun being on a date and having to GO!!! But my main problem is my back the pains are awful!!!
To all you people who had your galblader out and are developing
Dumping Syndrome I HAVENT HAD MY galblader out and Iam having the same problems Ihave bad pains in my lower stomach and lower back pain in my shoulders And when I eat anything I have to go to the bath room even so much as A cup of coffe I cant walk more than five minutes I get pain My doctor is sending me for test Aug 31 SHE THINKS ITS MY GALBLADER And I have A cis In the lower part of my stomach or my insides are atached togeter AND she has to take them apart  She says its because I HAD 4 C SECTIONS 5 KIDS iDONT NO WHAT TO THINK aLL i NO IS ITS VERY PAIN FUL AND I hate being blowded  And I would like to no if theres any gain weight when the galblader is removed plese get back to me       Thanks
I too had to RUN to the nearest restroom 30 minutes to 1/2 hour after eating. My problem was diagnosed as Irritable Bowel Syndrome.  My doctor prescribed dicyclomine which I take 1 hour or so before eating when I go out. It has made a TREMENDOUS difference and has stopped some very embarrassing situations!
I am 30 yrs old and just had my gallbladder removed 5 days ago...so far so good.  My sister in law had hers removed and she had mentioned that she has had the problem of going to the bathroom after eating.  My mother has also had the surgery 5 years ago and never had the problem so I didn't really give it any more thought.  I have noticed it already although so far in a mild form.  I just hope that it doesn't worsen.  My Dr. told me to eat what I want...nothing was mentioned about this kind of problem following this type of surgery.  But reading about so many people having this type of problem, you'd think that something would be done...and that a you would be forewarned before surgery.
My sister in law had lapriscopy but she had staples instead of stitches.  I myself had stitches and they are quite small.  And my stomach muscles seem to be stretched out and flabby-er than they were before the surgery.  I wasn't exactly toned (I've had 2 kids) but I can tell a definate difference...not to mention I gained 3-5 pounds!  How I did that I don't know.  I didn't even eat for a whole day due to nausea and vomiting.  I wish all others luck in their post op years.

I had my gallbladder out 5 years ago.  I have struggled with my weight ever since.  I gained a lot of weight after, I worked extremely hard to lose it, then I gained it again. I eat better now than I used to.  The last two years I have continually gained weight and I just don't get why.  I am usually a very good weight.  It seems I continually gain, no matter what I eat, or if I exercise.   It is really getting to me.

I noticed one other person on this board seems to have the same problem.  Any others?  Any reason why?

As for some of the other things mentioned on this board, I always have pain where my gallbladder was when I go to the bathroom.  I am very constipated.  I used to be constipated before, but it's worse now.  I have to take prune juice or laxatives to go.  

I am going to have my galbladder removed in two days.  I am very nervous and now looking at most of the after-effects it has I'm not sure that I want to have it done.  I have been going through gal-attacks since I was 17 (I'm now 22).  The pain is bad and no doctor could tell me why I had it.  I had to go to a dr's office I use to work at to have an ultrasound done and find my gal stones.  Unlike some of you, I have had a problem with diarehha for about 5 years.  Most every time I go out and eat, or if I have something with a lot of grease or fat I'm in the bathroom in about 5 or 10 minutes after I eat.  There was a week that I could eat in the morning and afternoon, but as soon as I had dinner I was in the bathroom 5 or 6 times withing an hour.  

If after the surgery I'm going to be going through the same problems, I really don't want to have it done.  I'm scared and really feel like I don't have a choice about it now.  I'm tired of the attacks and the constant aching in my chest.  I want to get rid of that, but in doing that it seems like I'm likely to get a whole other set of problems.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the "dumping" problem before the surgery?
I have just had my gall bladder removed on Sept. 7th and am experiencing serious pain in my lower right ab.  Am wondering if this is normal or a possible infection.
I have been reading the letters from everyone here.
And Im going to say ...I am scheduled for surgery in 5 days .
It freaks me out because there is no way I want all these extra problems .
And to top it off I have to have the old fashioned surgery because of a colostomy operation that I had due to a sever motorcycle crash ..which was reversed and back to normal .
I would like to say thank you to all of you who have written ,
It really helps those of us who have yet to face it.
I just got out of the hospital yesterday with gallstone related problems.  The thing is, I had my GB out 13 years ago, after the birth of my daughter. My doc said that sometimes there are stones hidden in the liver that don't get detected and can rear their ugly little heads years later.  That was my luck.  

I am so glad to hear about this "dumping syndrome".  I thought I ws the only one.  Now when I go see my doc next week, I can put a name to it, and maybe get some help.  I will say, though, that when I eat home, it doesn't happen to me at all.  Only when I eat out.  

As a postscript, I will say that I would have the surgery all over again, if the need arose.  This past weekends suffering brought it all back too clearly what I had gone through before.  I never want to have that pain again!

Good luck to all of you!

Tricia
I had my gallbladder out in feb. 2000, and it was the best thing that I did.  No more pains, but I do have to agree with you guys, the trips to the bathroom are driving me crazy!!! what really helps for me is drink water or juice, no more sodas, little portions of food, and try staying away from that good fried and spiced up food. ( I know that's hard for some of us Afircan Americans) i was really scared that something was really wrong with me, but after reading you guys replys helped me a lot. Thanks!!!!! Wanda
Hello Everyone,

I too suffer from what now seems like "dumping syndrome".
I had my gallbladder removed back in July of 1999 at the age of 20. And ever since then I have suffered with diarriea, constipation, flatulence, nausea, and killer cramping. For the longest time I thougth that I too had cancer,I have had an ERCP and a colonoscopy performed, but after seeing a GI doctor up in Standford, he concluded that I had Colitis. He gave me medication that has not been working for me. I am really having a bad time. I can't live my life the way I like too. I'm only 21 years old and I feel my life is over. I am attending college and I have about 3 more months before I will graduate, I'm scard to death about moving on. I don't know how I will be able to work when I can't even leave the bathroom. I lost my job because I had my gallbladder surgry. Now ever since then any job I have had I haven't lasted more that 2 weeks because I quit. I have noticed like many of you, that my mornings often start the same way, I have breakfast and 10-15 minutes later I run off to the bathroom. I hardly leave my house, because I fear that I will have to rush to the bathroom. I have no social life!! I'm engaged to be married, sometimes I wonder if I'll be able to walk down the isle without having an accident. I can't take this kind of life style anymore. Its very neverecking and very uncomfortable. I stress over this every day and need some help. If anyone has any other information please E-mail me at ***@****
I had my gallbladder out 10 days ago. All went fairly smoothly until 2 days ago when I began to have very painful back pains on the lower right hand side of my back. The pains are not constant but when they do come I am not able to find comfort anywhere and with anything. Painkillers don't even take care of the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
It is so great to be able to relate to someone on this level.
I am also 30 years old.  I had my Gallbladder removed April 1997,  approximately 2 months after the birth of my son. I suffered from Toxemia during my pregnancy.  After suffering my attack, I had emergency surgery to remove my Gallbladder.  My doctor, in New Mexico, told me that my attack was the result of the complications related to the Toxemia.  I have had consistent bowel problems ever since.  It is not fun at all.  I have to carry Imodium (immodium) AD with me everywhere I go.  Sometimes I have to RUN to the bathroom after I drink water in the morning.  Good luck and God Bless all of you.

I had my gallbladder removed 5 months ago. Before the surgery, for three years I had problems with severe diarrhea after eating. It was very unpredictable what food/drink would trigger an attack. I would be okay for several days to several weeks, then get an attack out of the blue. A few times I had an attack while on the city bus. I never had an accident, but came close a few times. That was really frightening. I stopped eating out, including having coffee, and knew where every bathroom is around town.
  I began having upper abdominal pain and was diagnosed with multiple gallbladder stones. I did some online research before having the surgery, and read that the diarrhea would get worse. Unfortunately I didn't read the kinds of stories I've read at this site. I had no idea HOW much worse. Now I have it about 1-3 times every other day. I've changed my diet to low-fat, but it doesn't seem to matter. I still have pain where the gallbladder use to be. At times the pain is worse than a gallbladder attack. I went to a GI that suggested I have an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. The GI thinks it may be an ulcer, but who really knows.
  This diarrhea problem is really effecting my life. I hardly go out any more. Whenever I am going to be out I bring bottled water, and a banana, and don't eat before hand. I really miss going to the neighborhood coffee shops/cafes with my husband. Im sick of bottled water and bananas. I'm going to be looking for work soon (been a stay at home mom for several years), but I'm fearful that I'll have an attack, and have an accident at work. I wouldn't feel comfortable telling a potential employer that I'm rectally challenged! How have other's handled this situation with their boss/coworkers? A job dealing with the public seems out of the question. I can picture it now.... helping someone at work when I get a major bowel attack, my eyes as big as saucers, sweat on my forhead, clammy hands, major anxiety attack as I figure out very quickly how to get to the can, and not cause a spectacle of myself in the process waiting, or perhaps unable to wait for someone to take my place. It seems so potentially embarrassing.

It's good to know I'm not alone with this condition.

Good luck to you all.

Hello All..
Well I start reading all your post. And noticed we all have a lot in common.. I had my gal bladder removed in mid July-2000 . I had been having attacks as far back as a year ago but never thought it was a gal stones..  I went to urgent care numerous times.. and was diagnosed with things like Reflux esopho(whats it) and something else called a slidding hyaital(sp) hernia finally one Doc gave me an ultra sound and said You GOT STONES!!..
    2 days later I almost passed one and was rushed to the hospital for emergency Opperation.. I also had a stone stuck in my bile duct and had to have some sort of  other proceadure done. as well I think they cut into my liver to remove a 6mm stone. Since then Ive had 3 blood test becuse the dr. isnt too please with my livers "levels" I find out if Im normal on monday..
    This Friday I expericened Dumping Syndrom (syndrome) with extreme abdominal pain.. it was right after a heavy fat meal... ( well it was a sauage and pepper sandwich) man I was in pain.. I almost felt the same sensation last week ( after eating a Sausage and egg biscutt)  seeing a pattern here? no more sausage for me.. Im still a little  nervous about the severe pain.. It was like my gal stones attack all over again.. well I've also been taking anitbiotics recently for my tooth I had extracted.. Ive read (here) that all these are factors in the Dumping syndrome.. I have but one QUESTION.. what book or diet would any of you recommend so that I can take care of this problem? thank you  
rondo
you can email me with questions or suggestions at ***@****
Thanks to everyone who wrote into this forum.  There is more information here on what to expect after surgery than anywhere else I could find on the internet.  I am having my gallbladder removed in 3 days.  I am very nervous due to the fact of the dumping syndrome but anything is better than the horrible attacks that I get ALWAYS during the middle of the night for hours which ruins my nights and my days because I am so tired.  I am only 33 and don't want to have diarrhea for the rest of my life.  Thanks to all of your submissions, I now have some answers before the problem starts.  Also, my mom has colitis and chron's disease which both irritate the bowels and colitis is sometimes hereditery.  I never thought I would get it or have constant diahrrea like my mom since I have always had solid bowels.  I guess I am destined to be like her.  My gallbladder is very swollen and diseased with several stones in it.  The pain it gave me is worse than childbirth, which I thought was the absolute worst pain anyone could ever have.  I was wrong.  I have no choice.  One thing no one really mentioned much was weight loss or gain. One person lost weight, a few others said they gained it.  I am wondering with all the diarrhea if you lose a lot of weight because the food isn't staying with you for very long.  Please email me if you have had this experience and let me know if you have had weight loss or gain after surgery.  My email is ***@****.  Wish me luck and say a prayer for me, please!!  My surgery is Oct. 5, 2000, this Thursday.
I WISH YOU LUCK, I HAD MY GALL BLADDER REMOVED 6 YRS AGO, I STILL
SUFFER FROM UNCONTROLLABLE DIARRHEA, I HAVE BEEN ON EVERY MED ON THE MARKET. RECENTLY I FOUND A XRAY REPORT IN MY CHART AND IT SHOWS THE CHOLECYSTECTOMY CLIPS ARE STILL PRESENT ALONG WITH A
RING LIKE METALLIC DENSITY OVER MY RIGHT ABDOMEN. THE OPERATION REPORT STATES THESE CLIPS WERE REMOVED??CAN YOU FIND OUT IF THEY REMOVED THESE CLIPS NORMALLY???? I WONDER WHY NOONE QUESTIONED THE METALLIC DENSITY ALSO. IS IT CUZ DRS DONT WANT TO QUESTION ANOTHER DRS WORK. MT EMAIL ADDRESS IS ***@****

thanks let me know how your surgery went   good luck
I am 22 years old,and had my gallbladder out on September 30,2000.   I am sick of not being able to sleep at night due to the discomfort.  I just had my check-up yesterday, and my surgeon was a VERY good one.  He explained everything in great detail.  I did not think that my nausea was related until I read this site.  He also prescribed that Questrion medicine for my dumping syndrome....but in the last twenty-four hours, the problem seems to have straightened it's self out.  I may not need that powdery medicine after all!!

However, I have resumed most of my normal activities,(INCLUDING TAE KWON DO CLASSES!!) and it has only been two weeks to the hour!

I would like to send a note of sympathy out to everyone who has had this done, or ever has to...it may be the most common surgery, however, that doesn't mean it's not a big ordeal!

MY SYMPATHIES TO EVERYONE HERE.

SAMANTHA.
I had my gallbladder removed in March 1999.  I had "attacks" that would last about 3-4 hours at a time for at least 9 years on and off.  Finally that March, I had a severe attack that did not go away. After 36 hours of pain, I gave in to go to the hospital and they determined it was my gallbladder and removed it.

My surgeon told me that I would most likely have problems with diarrhea for a couple of months. That was an understatement!!  I am still having these problems.  At times it seems like it gets better but then it comes back like a bad dream.  This is so embarrassing.  I had to finally tell my husband after a bad experience of needing to go to the bathroom.  

I know all of you have heard this before but I can understand and feel what you are going through.  This is very frustrating.  I live my life based on how close I will be to a bathroom.  

Also I have gained weight since my surgery(about 15 pounds).  I don't understand this since I don't seem to keep my food for very long why I would gain weight.  

Thank you for all your information on here.  I am going to try eating a lower fat diet and see if that helps.
So glad to have found this sight, after worrying that maybe something very serious was wrong with me.  I had my GB out 6 weeks ago.  Was sore for about a week, and then made a great recovery.  About two weeks ago I started experiencing loose, frequent stools and about once a week I have tremendous stomach aches that last for about 15 minutes, usually followed by a BM.  I am going to my regualr doctor tomorrow, but I feel relieved to hear that so many others have experienced similar symptoms.
I have just read all your stories about gall bladder problems. Mine is  a little different, I have my gall bladder out because I had polyps, they were non canerous. Everything went well, 3 weeks I was well recovered, I am 53 and that was 2 years ago. BUT my problems is that I have had accute gall bladder attacks about every 4 months, in the evening, after dinner, I had a CT scan and my doctors have looked at me side ways when I described the shocking squeezing feeling under by bust and when I thought I couldnt bear any more it went away. I  didnt know what these attacks were until recently meeting an old friend who had had her gall bladder out and I mentioned what had happened to me and she told me that the pain was just like the pain she got before her gall bladder was removed.  Has this happened to anyone else I would love to hear.  Dated 24.10.2000
My problem is I never run to bathroom after eating.  I am the lucky one who always waits till I am sleeping or visiting someone out of state!!  I at this time have not had my gallbladder out but for the past few years have had tests for it and nothing.  I have pain on my upper right, some sharp, some just sore all the time.  So far test shows its fine but now I suffer from constant nausea.  Is all this normal.  I am surprised with modern technology they cannot deal with the gallblader (gallbladder) better.  Now if they do decide to take it out, sounds like I will still suffer the same symtoms (symptoms) as I have now.  Yes I cramp when I have no time to get to know the toilet and maybe visit it on too many occasions but this constant nausea is what worries me but what worries me the most is all these DOCTORS who think they know best so lets put people thru ever un-human test we can come up with!!!
I have been reading all the comments of the complications of the gallbladder surgery.  I am suppose to go for my pre opt tomorrow and have my surgery tomorrow.  I haven't had the bad attacks they I have been reading about.  I just hurt alot and have a lot of stomach problems.  The ultra sound showed a stone lodged in the neck of my gallbladder.  After reading your responses I think I will cancel and wait for one of terrible attacks.
Hi all....I hope that I will not be one of the unlucky ones that will have the same results to submit. I too had to got to the ER this past Fri. (Oct.27,00) I thought I was going to die. The pain was in the places mentioned in your gallbladder letters. I had the blood test, x-rays, and ultra sound test done. The Dr. called me Mon. and gave me the news. He said ,"Do you have a surgeon of preference?" I said NO, not yet. Then I came to this site to see what help I could find...BOY, was I surprised at what I found. I do alread notice my BMs have changed in color and consistancy. I hope if and after the GB removal, if I have to have it, that it doesn't get any worse than it is now. I really do have sympathy
for all who have the Dumping Syn. I am happy to see that others are open to letting others know what to possibly expect and things that might help the DS, if they get it. I will be checking back to see if there are any new helps that work. I hope you all will find what will work for you. It isn't any fun spending all your life in the bathroom. I spend enough time there now, and don't want to spend more. God Bless and Keep you all. Keep Smiling reguardless of what may seem like the pits....always remember, it could be worse.    Jstar in Ind.
I am 17 and weigh 103lbs.  I go in Friday for galbladder surgery and I have never had surgery before so I am quite nervous.  I have however heard that constad (or something like that) helps, and it is in a pill form so you can't taste it.  Well if you have any tips or helpful words of advice I would be thrilled to hear from you.
  My email address is ***@****.
I have one even better!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I spent 8 mos of pain back in 1997 with every test showing normal normal normal--my surgeon finally agreed to take my gall bladder since I had a family history of problems..One week later I returned for my follow-up to be informed "oh yes your gall bladder was chronically diseased---by the way I removed a benign tumor from your liver too".....Are you kidding me???!!! I have since spent every day of my life in pain...same area...I've gone to doctors and gone thru umpteen prescriptions and pain therapy---nothing has worked.   I, like everyone else have the dumping syndrome---but I accept that...no problem I'll deal with it , as long as someone can tell me what the heck this pain is still from.   Sometimes I get the sweats, low-grade fever, and pain like I still had my gall bladder, sometimes it even feels like a swollen lump forms under my right lower rib....It hurts worse when I lie flat, and especially after large meals.  I've been doing some research into chronic pancreatitis, and fear this could be my newly formed disease...Information shows it can be caused from prior gall bladder problems which can cause damage to the pancreas...Unfortunately I have very little faith in doctors since they never knew what was wrong with me before until they cut me open and actually found something.   Has anyone out there developed chronic pancreatitis after gb surgery???  Any "real life" input would be greatly appreciated before I go back to doctors.
i have been told i have a lazy gallbladder and have to decide when to have surgery, i feel a litle pressure in that area but i don't want to have emergency surgery either.  does anyone have an answer for me , on what will happen if i don't get it out? i am 50 yrs. old//
I am glad that I came to this web site. My husband was just about to go to my physician to ask him what the hell had been done to me. I, at 32, had my gallbladder removed in June 2000. I too have experienced the phantom GB pains, with no reasonable explanation from the surgeon. I have the urgency to have a bowel movement soon after eating, but not after every meal. I had created my own explanation, and I think that Ralph is very much on target. I realize that the GB is a storge tank for bile (not the creator like a lady above had suggested). Since my symptoms generally occur upon eating the first meal of the day (which is usually around noon), I have concluded that over night production of bile, plus whatever is produced up until the time I eat,is more bile than is typically necessary to help process a meal. I agree that it has to be more bile in the digestive system rather than less, because there is nowhere to store the stuff. The GB probabaly acted as a regulator of sorts, and once it was full, the liver stopped producing. Now there is no regulator, and there is no middleman between the liver and small intestine. This is just my theory, but as everyone has concluded, we seem to have to do our own research and develop hypothesis based on that. Thanks for letting me know that this problem isn't necessarily a precursor to some dread disease.
I appreciate everyone sharing their sometimes private and painful gall bladder stories.  I am 41 and had mine out August of 1999, so it has been 16 months. I have had urgency and diarhea (diarrhea) problems, but not really severe. I take colon cleanse fiber capsules every day, and eat a lot of small meals. That seems to help. However, 6 months AFTER my surgery, I started having pain in the gallbladder site like a GB attack. I have had another GB ultrasound, and there are no abnormalities in the area, the metal clips are in there, and no stones were left behind in the duct. I also have been diagnosed with GERD, which I have never had before, no doubt a result of GB removal. The acid has been so bad that it would awaken me from sleep if I hadn't taken my Zantac at night. My throat at the adams apple area started hurting so bad like I had been kicked there. It was just the acid. I sleep with my chest/head up on an angle now, and take Prilosec or Zantac.
I suppose the must frustrating thing for me and for so many of you here, is that the doctor never mentioned any of these things, or what to expect or maybe look for afterward. I thought there was something seriously wrong with me because of the pain in my GB area, and I had no idea that my sore throat was acid!! My mother (65) had her GB out this year. My sister (45) had hers out at 40. They both continue on a diet of Zantac and Prilosec.

hello,
well I'm not the only one! phew.
I find that eating fatty foods aggrivates the "dumping" thing. But, no matter what I ALWAYS have to go urgently within 1/2 hr. of eating. I try to watch what I eat, but I have gained a lot of weight since the op. Mostly, because I don't skip meals anymore for fear of gallbladder pain.
I had the operation in December of '98 (day before Christmas) as an emergency. It turns out the pain was mostly from the stones that slipped into the bile duct, and the doc said it could re-occur. Has anyone had to have that procedure again (cleansing the bile duct?) let me know if you have, email me: ***@**** Thank you, mary :)
I just found these messages by searching for gallbladder surgery complications.  My gallbladder was removed on June 23, 2000.  I had horrible pain as I was coming out of anesthesia.  It was right in the middle of my abdomen.  It hurt so badly that I started holding my breath, which helped, and sounds silly, but then I set off the monitors that were hooked up to me.  They just kept giving me more pain meds, and within the hour I was reluctantly walking out of the surgery center.  At home, I yelled in pain every time I had to get out of bed.  For three days, this continued and during that time I could only sleep on my left side and propped up.  A few days later I felt fine, except for some pain twinges that reminded me that I was recovering from a surgical procedure.  I was fine until the middle of August.  I even drove myself 1700 miles to CO and the same distance home again.  Then I found out that my husband had prostate cancer, and I began to live with stress on a day to day basis.  At that time, the bowel changes began.  Three and four times a day.  Soft stools became diarrhea, and back to soft stools, and then to diarrhea.  My pains in the gallbladder area became worse.  Now it is November, and I have had tests for parasites and an ultrasound of my upper right quadrant.  Everything was negative.  Just last week I visted an organic farm and health food store, and purchased acidophilus capsules.  I take two a day as per instructions, and I am happy to report that my stools returned to normal the day after the first dosage, and I am practically pain free.  Coincidence?  I hope not.  For now, I feel normal again.  I am only on my fourth day of the capsules.  There were several choices and I picked one called Kyo-Dophilus.  It contains L. Acidophilus, B. Bifidum and B. Longum. I take no other medications and I will be 65 in April.
As for wight gain.  You are singing my song.  I am a 43 year old female who had her gallbladder out 2 years ago after the birth of my 3rd baby.  I've gained almost 20 lbs and NOTHING is different about what I eat.  If anything I get more exercise having a toddler.  Sorry to say I'm glad to hear other people have this problem I thought I was just deluding myself about what I ate.
I have gallbladder problems today (as a matter of fact).  I called to schedule to have my gallbladder removed next week.  However, I have another complication that likely affected the function of my gallbladder.  I have Celiac Sprue Disease (CSD).  The doctor's aren't sure of the relationship between the CSD and gallbladder dysfunction.  My gallbladder works at about 19% efficiency.  Usually people with CSD will begin to re-generate the horomone (once the small intestine is healed) that makes the gallbladder contract, but that doesn't seem to be the case with me.

I was misdiagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome for many years, but finally found a doctor that took my symptoms seriously.  If you're interested in learning more about Celiac Sprue Disease, a very useful site www.celiac.com is my recommendation.  There are simple antibiody tests that can show if antibodies (characteristic of CSD) are elevated.  The final call is an upper GI with a biopsy of the small intestine to determine atrophy.  I tested positive with both.  A simple diet is used to control my problems (except for my gallbladder pain).  I encourage anyone with the "dumping syndrome" or IBS to have these tests.  The statistics are that 1:300 people have this disease.  Some people have symptoms, but some don't.  High fiber diets made me gravely ill.  Please be aggressive about your health care. 15% of people with CSD are likely to develop intestinal lymphoma (referenced on www.celiac.com).  Educate and take care of yourself!
I had my GB out twelve years ago. My dumping syndrome always caught me on the Tube going to work - I have a 45 minute journey. After three years of various forms of high excitement I know you all know the feeling, I discovered Questran. I take a Questran powder before going to bed and my dumping syndrome is under control for the next day.Rich foods like lamb,though are best avoided in my book. One word of warning though - gradually I have developed Tinnitus. I have a high pitched engineering type sound in my right ear and it never stops. During the day it is not particularly worrying but now as I type I can hear it clearly.Is it due to the Questran? When I looked up Tinnitus on the Internet I was amazed to see Questran listed as a drug which might cause a side effect of Tinnitus. Mind you there were loads of drugs listed with a possible Tinnitus side effect. As I now need to travel on the underground only three days a week thereby being able to relax at home in the knowledge that I could stroll to the loo, I have tried to cut out a daily Questran powder just to see if I can reduce the Tinnitus. I'll report back in a few months but I understand that Tinnitus doesn't go away. Having read all your comments perhaps I am one of the luckier ones anyway and noises in the ears are a small price to pay.
This may be of some value....I too had my gallbadder removed about 5 years ago and is still having loose stools as well as pain simular to the gallbadder pain... Just resently I have be dianosed with a Hiatal Hernia with Inflammed Esophagusin
The doctor started me on "Questran" to stop diareha and it has been like a miracle. It is used to help your body absorb bile salts (Which are actually prescribed as a laxative) - I have had normal bowel movements for weeks.

Hope this help. See your doctor.

Take Questran, it stops the production of bile salts which is causing people to get diareah after having their gall-bladder removed. (Bile salts are actually used as a laxative, explaining your problems)

Chris Ratterree
***@****
Howdy Folks, I had my GallBladder removed Dec 1st. If I eat out in fast food joints, within 30 minutes I have got to go to the crapper. Certain fatty foods I eat, I can actually feel, and hear the liquid, going through my system. I mentioned this to my surgeon. He laughed. See ya!
I want to know about the symptons of gallstones?
I have alot of bloating , shoulderblade pain,stomach sick, pains in my stomach,chest pain and also feel drained.
Please can you tell me if i have it bad enough to get my gallbladder out? The Doctor found out i have stones by the ultra sound test.
I recently had my gallbladder removed and was happy to be rid of the pain. I go back to my doctor tommorrow and I thought something had gone wrong till I found this site. I too have became very familiar with all the restrooms. I am going to ask my doctor about the meds. that have been mentioned here about the Dumping Syndrome. I have lost 15 pounds since my surgery, and the surgery has only been a month ago. I assume the weight lose is from visting the bathroom so much?
Hello fellow loo luvers

I found this site because I was looking up details about the drug 'Questran'.   Well now I have the answers to my problems (watery diarrhoea, and high abdo pains mostly where the GB was) and it is a comfort to know that I am not imagining all my symtoms (symptoms)!  

I am now 52 and had my gall bladder out about 5 years ago and apart from an increase in heartburn, indigestion and massive increase in the 'burps' when eating, I hadn't had any real problems till last year Jun 2000 when going to the loo became a very very frequent event,  enough to send me to the doctors because I thought I had a bug or worse.  To cut a long story short (well will try) was sent to a Gastrologist and was examined inside, outside and upside down (doesn't do much for self identity when you feel rotton already). Original diagnosis was Microscopic Colitis(another elusive condition), so was put on steroids which made the condition far worse and blew me up like a baloon, thankfully I am off them now, but took 3 months to find out they made me far worse.  

Had severe pains where GB used to be and round front of diaphram under sturnum, still get these now and again,  they can be frightening and was convinced I had pancreatic cancer. Anyway have had more tests including the bile salt malabsorption test which proved very positive, meaning that I was not re-using/storing my bile, does this make sense?   Presumably that means more and more is being made and the bile,  like acid is causing all the problems.  Trouble is that no-one explains anything to you and even when I ask,  the answers are evasive.  My Gastrologist is not very forthcoming with information (I seem to know more about it than he does, and typically you cannot tell him anything or say that you have found things out, without consulting him!).  

Anyway latest is that he gave me Questran to take a couple of weeks ago - and it appears to have stopped my frequent visits to the loo and I haven't had the pains so much, but that leads me to what I said originally about information on the drug.   I also have to take thyroxine because of hypothyroidism and am now worried that the Questran may affect that.  Am due to see him in a couple of weeks and possibly to have a barium meal test.  Will let you know how things go.  

To all that need the GB op, not everyone is the same and mostly things are much better afterwards,  also it is always best to get things checked out, just in case.

Best wishes to all and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Regards from Jan
I have had bowel problems for as long as i can remember i have been diagnosed as having ibs but my symptoms are worse than ibs i too have to run the the b-room all the time . when i wake up in the am i have a serious prob i go to the b-room 5/6 times b-4 i even have a glass of water and i have been on all kind of meds to treat my symptoms none of which have worked i have even been at the point where i was taking 48 imodium (immodium) in a matter of 3 days i know this is not good but nothing seems to work i have been on all the ibs meds and have just got to the point where i quit eating so i dont get sick but that doesnt work for 3 dys in other words i dont eat anything for 3 days and on the 4th day the diaherea then slows down enough that i can get to the market. My diahreah symptoms r so bad i have a matter of seconds from the time the noise and rumbling in my body starts to get to the b-room. i am at the point that i carry a pair of underwear with me whereever i go in my purse/my car and at all friends homes/ now i have to carry extra shorts/pants it has gotten so bad i am now a hermit in my home . i cnt get thru a meal without going to the b-room after the 1st 3 bites of food it is like my body is rejecting all the food i put in it.... i am at the end of my rope i have seen 4 gastroenterologist and they must think i am exagerating but they should spend one day with me while this is going on and see for themselves i just recently got a new gastro dr and told him right off the start that this is the last dr i will see about this prob b-cause no one seems to care/or believe me enough to help me i have gone from weighing 140lbs to now weighing 104 lbs now dont get me wrong when i can get it under enough control and have a b-room nearby i will eat and my weight fluxuates.... i also had my gallbladder removed about 2 yrs ago and i was told that the ibs would get better after the surgery i had and incredible amount of pain after the surgery but the worst thing is that the ibs or so called ibs would get better but it got worse instead i really didnt think it could get worse than it was at the time but i was saddly mistaken. if anyone can give me any tips on how to control my out of control symptoms please tell me i am at a loss to knowing what to do.......i have to go 5/6 times b4 i even have water/coffee/tea in the am......then after another 6/7 times and heaven forbid i should eat any thing i then suffer for the rest of the day/// so i am at the point where i eat only once a day usually around dinner when i know that i will be home for the remainder of the day.,, then i suffer for the night and start again in the am.... my stool is not normal either i trully believe i have something more than ibs but drs say they see nothing... i now know i have a hiatal hernia & gerd/ all normal right? the pain from the symptoms is another topic i have tried all the fiber diets/regimens and they dont work and this dr just put me on questran said this will help ? not working yet. have been on it for about 4 dys..... i dont think this will help either but i am willing to try anything. to give you a list of all the different meds i have tried will take the page and a 1/2. any way i can relate to the many people at their end with the ibs diagnosis and treatments that dont work. the dr also mentioned a test i have never heard of and i am kinda nervous about it // it is called small bowel capsule it this dangerous and will my body be able to handle this test i am sooo tired of being the ginea pig and just want the D word to stop so i can treat my other probs.........

very tired of going to the b-room.......sandi g
i just had my gallblader (gallbladder) removed 4 days ago i am only 23 i have delt with the recovery very well and i am up moving around and doing things like normal except i have a diffrent problem than u guys i have been constipated every since i havent used the bathroom since the day of my sergery (surgery) and it is worring me i have tried all kinds of things but nothing has worked any one have a suggestion
Thanks to everyone who has written in.  Your comments have helped a lot. Sorry to the people who wrote in 2000 what Im feeling now.  Not much hope if we're still saying the same thing 7 years later.  My story: I have had acid reflux, ulcers, stomach cramping/pain, constipation or toilet sprints, since I was about 13 (30 now) after my second child Dec 96, I started having pains in the rib cage area on right side.  Doc said it was my body getting back to normal after baby.  Almost ten years later (04/06) my fiance died causing depression/stress unimaginable and leaving behind a 9 month old son and my 12 yr old daughter.  That is when all the above body problems got out of control.  8/06 I started talking to my doc about seriously starting tests (everyone said no need in the past).  He still said "not needed, all of it is stress".  A month later I began to have pain so bad I thought I was going to die, but within 15 minutes it was gone.  This went on until the surgery.  I thought I was going crazy.  11/06 My friend took me to the ER because we thought I was having a heart attack (she's in nursing). They hooked me up to an EKG monitor, I was still having twinges of pain, but all they said was my heart sped up with my pains and slowed.  I had a x rays, an mri and an ultrasound.  They said all is fine go home and get some rest.  Same thing 2 days later.  Rushed to (different) hospital, more xrays and another ultrasound, all is fine and back home to rest but this time told to call my doc.  Called him and he brushed me off for 2 days.  I told him if he didn't send me to a professional I was going to the hospital until they found something and then sue him.  He called a surgeon, she was at the hospital where all my latest tests were.  After looking at them, she called me for me to go to the hospital for a special test.  They put a dye in me and monitored it for (2) 45 min sessions.  I was supposed to wait there until she was told the results.  By the time I was done redressing (10am), I was told that I had an appt at the hospital the next day at & 7am to have my gb taken out.  I was supposed to go to her office right then for explanation then go home and plan for me to be out of commission for the next week (as far as my kids were concerned) and to tell my boss I'd see him in 3-4 wks.  My explanation was my gb opening wasn't putting out the amount of bile it should have been but bile was still being produced.  Basically my gb was going to burst.  As far as after, all she said was it would take about a year for my body to be totally better and to watch my fatty/spicy foods.  Why the ultrasound didn't show a rather large gb, who knows.  Never did anyone tell me about: possible dumping syndrome.  Actually, she said my bowel problems would be worked out and normal after this was done.  NOT!!!  First, I woke up and all I could hear was a person in pain moaning ohhhh over and over and wanted them to shut up.  I was so groggy I didn't realize that person was me until they put something under my nose and I felt like someone was stabbing me repeatedly in the side.  My O2 level dropped to 68 and wouldn't come up.  They finally got it to 80 and sent me to recovery, still moaning a lot.  They doped me up some more and within 1 1/2 hrs I went home where I spent the next 2 days not eating, sipping water, taking pills, moaning, only getting up to go to the bathroom, and could only lie on my left side w/pillow under me.  On the 3rd day, moving around some and eating a bite or 2.  4th day a little more movement/food.  5th day!!! Eating more-BATHROOM SPRINTS START.  I ate, I ran to toilet, it was gone.  This went on for about 2 weeks.  Then all of a sudden I was fine.  Surgery was the day b4 Thanksgiving of 06 and by the 6th of Dec I was in Mexico.  A trip planned for almost a year.  Fine the whole time there eating almost normal food.  The end of Dec the bathroom sprints started again but not too bad.  Still so so in July 07 feeling almost back to normal.  Aug 2nd, I started the b-room sprints 5/6 times a day, whether I ate/drank or not.  All different times of the day.  Also, gb attack pains at other times. BAD! Can't nail what could have triggered it.  Nothing has changed.  Been w/a weight management company for the last 3 months that teaches you good and bad foods, what certain foods do to your body, and how to eat healthy w/out loosing the flavor plus working out while being monitored.  Can't figure out what is going on.  All that comes out of me is water consistency and looks like nothing I've seen. (sorry for the nasty description) Called the doc, he said it was probably part of the recovery.  Same from the surgeon.  Tried to go to a different doc and they said with problems after a surgery, I should stay w/the docs I've been going to because they know what's going on.  Apparantly not!!!  I have no insurance.  No one will pay for preexisting problems.  I don't know what to do and I don't want to end up seeing lots of docs, having lots of tests, ending up w/no answers.  Any one have ideas what to do???  Taking care of 12 yr old and 2 year old w/no dad. Can't afford to miss work so I'm still working w/this problem in a busy customer service and sales job.  Any ideas/suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
I've had very similar diarrhea problems for over 8 yrs, but I've not had my gallbladder removed. So far I've just had 1 gallbladder attack, a few months ago, but I've had 8 yrs of constant diarrhea.

In my case, dieting and staying away from fats, spicy foods, meats, and even a bland diet of cream of wheat has not stopped my 3-8 daily bouts of diarrhea.

I've been to a number of Dr.s and been told it's IBS and after an Endoscopy, last month, I was told it was just a little Colitis, but I have all the symptoms of a sludgy gallbladder, so I'm reasonably sure that's what I have.

So I've give up for the most part believing in what the Dr.s have told me and I'm reading as many post as I can and trying to tie info together and find some answers that work for me...if we all do this, just maybe we can find some answers that work for us that the Dr.s have not been able to find. I'd suggest we do some research and look up on the Internet any other symptoms we have and see if anyone else with diarrhea also has those same symptoms and if they do, then post that information here. Hopefully that information will lead us to some answers or something that might lead to the actual cause of the diarrhea or at least help us slow down or stop the diarrhea. I feel at this point we all need to try to stop being victims of some problem that no one has found an answer for and be proactive and try and find our own answers.

I'll start by asking if anyone has any other symptoms that don't seem related. I've noticed that I often have a back ache in my mid to upper spine and that one of my vertebra hurts. So I looked this problem on the net and found that it's usually about T4, where the nerve from the gallbladder inserts into the spine, here. So I'm looking that that aspect to see what the connection is.

I will tell anyone who wants to know that on another board I did find a med. that seems to control the liver bile so that the diarrhea slows down. From what I read on this other board, most of the people on it are living a relatively normal life. I'm currently working on trying get my Dr. to prescribe it. Sorry I don't have the name in front of me, but it's something like Welcol..maybe someone knows the exact name..but you can read about it on healingwell.com under the section on GERD or IBS
A related discussion, surgery was started.
A related discussion, Bowel problems after gall bladder surgery was started.
A related discussion, Gallbladder Surgery - Think twice! was started.
A related discussion, I had my gallbladder taken out 2 weeks ago, was started.
A related discussion, side-effects after gall bladder was started.
A related discussion, Dumping Syndrome? was started.
A related discussion, Gall bladder removal was started.
A related discussion, life sentence was started.
A related discussion, gall bladder operation caused my problem was started.