Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
CAn digestive problems cause dizziness?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

CAn digestive problems cause dizziness?

I have had a dull pain, or rather sensation of fullness in my upper right abdomen off and on for some time, along with episodes of nausea, gas, and heartburn. I had this checked by a doctor and was told that it could be my gallbladder, although an ultrasound showed no stones.  These symptoms have been on and off for several years.  2 weeks ago I ate a cheeseburger with onions, and an hour later I became dizzy and nauseated, with chest pressure. I went to the doctor, fearing heart problems, and was told it was anxiety.  However, I have noted that every day since then, I have the same symptoms when I sit in front of the computer, or while driving, and they seem to be related to the pressure of my waistband around my waist. If I wear sweatpants or stand up, the symptoms stop.  I also notice a tingling sensation in my left arm at these times.  Any input as to what might be going on?  Until 2 weeks ago, I did not have the "computer chair" symptoms.
1 Comment
The tingling in your hand while driving/computer could be carpal tunnel, my husband just had both hands operated on and that was his chief complaint. Or, it could be a cardiac problem, the best thing to do is rule out that first. Chest pain that radiates to your left arm with lightheadedness are warning signs and just because your doctor said it's anxiety doesn't mean it is. What tests did he do to be sure it wasn't your heart? I had those symptoms (I'm 37 and female) and it WAS a cardiac problem. You need an EKG, echocardiogram and stress test to be sure. I did those and there were abnormalities and one test led to another and finally a cardiac catheterization. And then again, chest pain could come from reflux (maybe that's it in your case since it's related to eating burger with onions) and it helps you to stand up from seated postion. Chest pain from cardiac problem won't change with your postion. Um, it could be when you feel the chest pain that you fear it's a heart problem and you have anxiety or mild hyperventilation and that can cause tingling in your arm which happened to my sister-in-law. So as you see, it could be any number of things and you need a doctor to help you sort it out.
A related discussion, Dizziness related to stomache problems was started.