Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Causes of increased alkaline phosphatase/correlation to kidney stones
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Causes of increased alkaline phosphatase/correlation to kidney stones

Symptoms of cystitis first occured 2weeks before urinalysis.  Urinalysis revealed numerous WBCs, RBCs, and bacteria.  Amoxicillin failed to alleviate frequent urination, straining, and then dripping urine.  Lateral radiograph revealed enlarged liver, several large kidney stones in 1 kidney and possibly 1 small stone in the urinary bladder.  Subsequent bloodwork = increased alkaline phosphatase, other blood chemistries normal, CBC normal.
A low dose dexamethasone suppression test was performed due to increased alk. phos. suspecting cushings disease but was negative for cushings.

My question(s) Is there any correlation between an increased alkaline phosphatase and kidney stones? And if there is no correlation what other causes for increased alk. phos?
What would be the next step as far as diagnostics.

In conclusion I will tell you that the above information refers to my 12 year old female/spayed dog.  I am hopeful that this does not hinder my chances for an answer to my questions.  I am curious to any and all information i can gain. Most often human conditions, medications, and treatments are very similar, if not the same.  If need be please answer the questions as if they were referring to a "theoretical human patient"  Thank you