Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Celiac

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Celiac

Thank you for making the suggestion of celiac to me, I have discussed all the symptoms with my Doctor and he is checking now by doing a blood test.

However I have a few questions about celiac

1. Why does this raise your Lipase slighty?
2. Why do you get weird pains in the legs off and on or in the joints.

I have for years had reflux, or been tired here and there with not feeling to good in the stomach and contant sinus irratations and stuffeness, now I think back and it always got worse after I ate, I dont have diahrea either.

3. Is it possible that I have had this for years and it has just inflammed to he point of being active.

And I guess its normal to have the contant gas and burping.

By the way I am starting the Gluten diet.

Thank you
1) I do not know the exact mechanism why celiac disease can raise the liver enzymes.

2) There is an association between arthritis and celiac disease.  Studies show approximately 26 percent of patients with celiac disease have associated arthritis.  

3) Yes, undiagnosed celiac disease can lead to progressively worse symptoms.

This questions can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_