Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Chest pain associated with gas

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Chest pain associated with gas

About 2 years ago all of a sudden I had a bad gas problem in reguards to burping. The gas buildup in my stomach actually made me feel like I was having a heart attack, I had a severe cheat pain on my left side - to the point where my left arm was tingeling.  However, I found that when I started to burp a lot the pain went away.  However now the side of my chest had a throbing pain.  I went to my doctor and he said the severe gas caused the discomfort and I somehow pulled a muscle on the side of my chest.  He gave me some anti-inflamatory's and the pain went away.  Now almost two years later the same problem came back.  The gas preasure pulled that muscle again. I'm wondering if you ever heard of this kind of discomfort from gas pain and what it might be.  It does seem that whenever I feel like I having a heart attack that simply releasing the built up gas by burping makes it go away.  It also seems that I get light headed every now and then but my blood presure has always been good, but I think that might be dehydration.
Yes, gas pain can cause the discomfort you describe.  Of course, you want to ensure that the heart is ok first - a stress exercise test can be considered for this.

If the heart is ok, you may want to consider evaluation for dyspepsia (either an ulcer, inflammation or GERD), which may cause the symptoms you describe.  An upper GI series or upper endoscopy (which is the more thorough test) can be considered for further evaluation.

A GI referral can be considered for further workup.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
There are OTC medication to neutralise acid,to prevent acid or do both.
drinking ice cold water helps too.
I was suffering from similar chest pain due to gas for almost 2 years untill recently. Finally my doctor found out that I had Giardia in my stool. I don't know how I got infected, but the doctor said, it is very common for the campers to get infected. It spreads via food and water. Giardia was breaking down the protiens I eat and before they are digested, they are fermented. Fermentation causes gas and gas caused chest pain. With a simple stool test you can know if you too have Giardia. I took Flagyl 500mg, once daily for 5 days. This is an antibiotic and your doctor has to give you a prescription for this.

By the way, when chest pain occurs, I take very hot water which helps me in burping. As soon as I burp, I get relief. Also, after a meal, especially after dinner, go for a long walk and leave atleast 2-3 hours gap after your dinner before you go to bed.
FYI-my dad had a triple-bypass and his only symptom was burping. He did not have classic chest pain and did not have a heart attack. The burping went away after the bypass surgery. My uneducated theory would be that gases from his blood were leaching out of his vessels due to the pressure the vessels were under trying to beat blood thru clogged arteries. He spent a considerable amount of time and money chasing the GI cause. He also had a resumption of burping years later at which point they determined another lesser artery was becoming blocked but it was treated without surgery. Burping went away again.
A related discussion, chest pain was started.
A related discussion, Severe Chest Pain with Gas was started.
A related discussion, gas pains was started.
A related discussion, gas chest pain was started.
A related discussion, chest pains was started.