Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Chronic Loose Stools
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chronic Loose Stools

I asked a question a while back about chronic diarrhea, gas, and mucus.  This started at the end of May with floating stools, gas.  Some occassional mucus.  Since I've asked and since May I've sent my stools in to check for a few things, most I can't remember but I think mostly to check for parasites and infections.  It came back fine but my Dr. put me on Flagyl anyway.  Then after a couple weeks I had an upper GI, which was fine.  Then I had a ct scan which was fine and today I had the colonoscopy.  Today she said there wasn't any evidence of anything like colitis, etc, but just that there were a couple ulcers that she said had nothing to do with loose stools.  So, they're doing a biopsy and said to come back in 4 weeks.

Four more weeks is a long time to be having loose stools.  As of recently it's been better, just not perfect.  I don't know if it's something I'm eating.  I know icecream is out of the question and I've been avoiding all dairy.  The other day when I had my stools close to normal I had pork chops and rice, which I don't normally eat.

So I'm wondering if there's another test we've missed or if it's something I'm eating.  Your last answer suggested a fecal fat test, I don't know if that was included in the last stool sample, after all the tests I've had would malabsorption still be an issue?  Is there something not detected by stool samples, upper gi, and a colonoscopy.  They also checked for a thyroid problem.  How can they check if it's something in my diet?

Thanks.