Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Chronic Loose Stools

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Chronic Loose Stools

I asked a question a while back about chronic diarrhea, gas, and mucus.  This started at the end of May with floating stools, gas.  Some occassional mucus.  Since I've asked and since May I've sent my stools in to check for a few things, most I can't remember but I think mostly to check for parasites and infections.  It came back fine but my Dr. put me on Flagyl anyway.  Then after a couple weeks I had an upper GI, which was fine.  Then I had a ct scan which was fine and today I had the colonoscopy.  Today she said there wasn't any evidence of anything like colitis, etc, but just that there were a couple ulcers that she said had nothing to do with loose stools.  So, they're doing a biopsy and said to come back in 4 weeks.

Four more weeks is a long time to be having loose stools.  As of recently it's been better, just not perfect.  I don't know if it's something I'm eating.  I know icecream is out of the question and I've been avoiding all dairy.  The other day when I had my stools close to normal I had pork chops and rice, which I don't normally eat.

So I'm wondering if there's another test we've missed or if it's something I'm eating.  Your last answer suggested a fecal fat test, I don't know if that was included in the last stool sample, after all the tests I've had would malabsorption still be an issue?  Is there something not detected by stool samples, upper gi, and a colonoscopy.  They also checked for a thyroid problem.  How can they check if it's something in my diet?

Thanks.
You have had a pretty good evaluation for your diarrhea so far.  However, malabsorption is not ruled out yet.  

Further tests to consider would be a fecal fat collection (as you mentioned - this is not routinely done unless specially ordered), and tests for celiac disease - which can be done via serum antibodies.  

If all the tests are negative, it is possible that there is no obvious cause (10 percent of chronic diarrhea patients do not have any obvious cause).  Irritable bowel disease should then be considered and treated appropriately.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Hi.  I would definitely have the Celiac screening done to test for malabsorption.  And since it is now found to be more common than once thought(1 out of 133 people), that would mean it could be a strong possibility.  My son had chronic diarrhea and loose stools for a year before he was diagnosed, but he was also getting very sick, losing weight and vomiting frequently.  Not everyone with Celiac presents with all those symptoms.  Some have a few, some have alot, and some are asymptomatic.

You can check out www.celiac.com for more info.  There is also a good online support group that has more than 5,000 active members at delphi forums.  The link is below.  Just copy and paste to your web browser and it will take you directly there.  Good luck and keep us posted.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac

rhyanen ;)
A related discussion, loose stools,at times i cant control it was started.