Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Consistent Abdominal Pain/Back Pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Consistent Abdominal Pain/Back Pain

29 yr old male, no history of abdominal issues, don't smoke, don't drink.

About 5 months ago I fell down some stairs and hit the mid/lower left part of my back, the area under the ribs and above the waist. It was a very hard fall. I was shook up, but didn't think there was anything serious. A week after the fall I started having lower left groin pain. Went to the dr and had a CT scan done and bloodwork done...no results, everything looked fine.

Roughly a month after the fall, I was eating and felt very nausous and it took all my effort not to vomit. Two days after that experience, my entire abdominal area came to life. I had pain almost everywhere in my abdominal area, specifically when I would eat. I could feel my insides moving and there were palpations everywhere, lower, upper, but always the worse on the left side. I went to the hospital, they gave me bentyl and told me to see a GI. Because it takes so long to see a GI, it was a four week wait. During this time, the abdominal pains/palpatations would come and go...because I had no abnormal stools nor any blood in the stool, it was nothing to worry about...said the next course of action would be to get an MRI on my back.

Three weeks later, the pain came back, this time I had pains in my back, my abdominal area and I started having palpatations and muscle twitching in the back part of my arms, butt, down my legs and across my stomach.  I was put on celexa, but the pain still persisted and it got so bad I couldn't sleep on my left side at all.  Had the MRI on my back down, it showed bulging discs and I was assured it was nothing to be worried about.  Slowly over the course of a few weeks, things got a little better, but then, again, the pain came back.

This time, I had severe pain under my left shoulder and a throbbing in the middle left side of my back, which comes and goes now.  I also have pain across my left side, right under my ribs, which comes and goes.  It seems like something is damaged and it's affecting other organs or something, because most of the pain is on my left side.

My drs seem to be at a loss on what to do here and the GI seems to be convinced it's not his problem since there are no specific gastro symptoms besides abdominal pain from gas and random abdominal palpatations.

Would another CT Scan show anything, like an internal tear, or organ damage or even bilary dmg? Could any of these types of internal trama be the cause of my syptoms (symptoms)? Is it possible that there is a fluid buildup somewhere putting pressure on my spine and causing the peripheral muslce palpatations? I have no idea. Would an Upper/Lower GI series show anything?  Am I seeing the right doctors for this type of injury?
Yes, any type of internal damage or trauma can cause the symptoms you are describing.  A normal abdominal CT scan would rule out internal bleeding as well as damage to the organs.  

Regarding the question about fluid buildup, the CT scan and the back MRI would again rule out this possibility.  

If the nausea continues, I would go forward with an upper GI series or upper endoscopy.  If these tests are negative, it is less likely there is a problem with the GI system.

Assuming you have been looked at by a GI physician and an orthopedist, you can consider a neurology referral to see if there has been any nerve damage.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
A related discussion, Consistent stomach/abdomal pain was started.
A related discussion, Abdominal pain left side after fall was started.