Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Dull Pain in the lower right side

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Dull Pain in the lower right side

Hi all, hope you might have some answers for me
It started about a month ago may be a little more, i started having a dull pain in the lower right side and my stomach was always bloated, since the pain was not sharp at all it felt more like something is there stack or sometime it felt like if you hold (going to the bathroom) for a long period and then go, that type of pain its hard to explain it
anways i waited a little hoping it go away then after a week i went to my doctor, first thing was to test for apendix which was quicly ruled out since i had no sharp pains even if he touched and pressed on the stomach, he said it could be something in my colon , since i was going away on vacation for a week he gave me nexium and told me if bloated just take regular antigas/bloating pills. the bloating seem to go away after another week. when i came back from vacation i had my blood work done and he also recomended a barium/enema/air test to see my colon
after all of that my barium enema test came back-excellent, which i beleive also rules out apendix, my blood test came back normal with exlusion of h.pylori bacteria so he gave me a 14 day precpac. which i have been taking so far for 2 days. what worries me is that when i stand i have no pains , when i sit or drive a car and i have a tight pants on i feel the same pain that i started having in the lower right side, the only time i feel the pain is when i sit, the pain is little more anoying then anything else. but since its been over a month now i am worried. could h.pylori cause this, what else could it be
i am 28 year old male, i dont smoke i drink usuall only on weekends, my bowel movents are more or less okey since this pain started i started going more often then usual had may be a few days of diaria, but otherwise my stull is fine. any suggestion or advices
Along with appendicitis, inflammatory bowel disease or any type of colitis can cause right lower quadrant pain.  Non-GI causes can include a hernia or kidney stones.

To work up any GI, I would suggest an abdominal CT scan.  This can rule out any masses as well as appendicitis.  If negative, I would suggest a colonoscopy to evaluate for any inflammation or colitis that may be causing the inflammation.  A colonoscopy would be a more comprehensive test than the barium enema.  

The the abdominal CT and colonoscopy are negative, you may want to look for non-GI causes (i.e. musculoskeletal or kidney causes).  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
also to add the pain is not constant it comes and goes when i sleep its usually perfect the pain start after 3-4 hours ow being awake then it goes away towards the night i had days when it was not there at all
i recently completed that 14 days ordeal called PREV PAC.
prev pac consists of 2 antibiotics and 30 mg prevacid.
watch carefuly what this trio does to your body,you may start getting diarhea (diarrhea) from the two antibiotics after 7 days/
if so,stock up on good quality yogurt and add them to your system.
what worries me is those dull pains i am having is that normal, it does not hurt its just feels like something is there
I will tell you this. I had 2 bouts of IBS, enough to have a whole slew of tests done, CAT scans, MRIs, Barium Enemas, Colonoscopy, EGD, Upper GI Series.. and all the blood work, etc.

The pain was there all the time, kind of like a cramp, but not so much so, sometimes really bad, but most of the time just there all the time. After I would wake till I slept.

Sitting also made it worse. I can recall telling my boss "I am find when I stand up, so that is the kind of work I want to be doing right now"

This was my lower left quadrant that hurt, and sometimes my lower right. 90% LL though.

About you:

I think you need to have a pelvic CT done to rule out any pathologic reasons for this pain. (Am i saying that right? in other words to make sure there is nothing physically there causing it). I am not saying it is in your head, but the sooner you get enough convincing evidence that it is nothing, the better off it will be.

About me:

My pain was worse when sitting, apparently due to the IBS causing my intestines to distend.. and sitting making it not having much room, while standing let it free. If something hurts it usually doesn't feel better when you put pressure on it.

While IBS patients usually have triggers which cause there bowels to act up, I couldn't find it. I know I stopped the sodas and spicy stuff -- that can only do better for someone.

-- Finally --

I think that if you ruled out kidney, bladder, and appendix problems, + had a CT scan - then you should be okay in time.

Good luck and do some reading on Irritable Bowel Syndrome, see if that sounds like what you got. It kind of did, but kind of didn't for me.

thank you all for all replies, i will do some more research and follow up with my physician
A related discussion, sharp pain in my lower right side was started.
A related discussion, liver function was started.
A related discussion, dull pain just above ovary was started.
A related discussion, I have to post a question???? was started.
A related discussion, Right Side Abdominal Pain was started.
A related discussion, Stomach bloated, right side pain was started.