Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated AST ALT levels

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Elevated AST ALT levels

I got test results back with an AST of 282 and ALT of 113.  What does this mean?  I drink moderately now but used to drink quite heavily.  Are the levels a result of past alchol usage or are there other reasons why these levels are this high?
1 Comment
Elevated liver enzymes can be from a number of causes. Chronic ingestion of large amounts of alcohol, disease of the gall bladder, Hepatitis, and lesions of the liver are some of the most common. Obviously it is best to consult your Dr about this, more urgently if you are having any abdominal pain. Also many common medications can contribute to elevated liver enzymes. Tylenol (acetaminophen, lortab, etc..0, and anticholesterol agents are some common ones. STOP drinking, take NO tylenol and talk to your DR. Good luck from a nurse anesthetist.
Hi, I just went to the er and my liver enzymes were also elevated. The numbers were ast: sgot: 86 and the alt was 147. I had elevated enzymes the first time I went to the er but the doc said there wasn't anything to be concerned about and sent me home. This time I went again and was told they were elevated again, should I be concerned? I do not drink and have not drank in probably over 20 years I am 38 years old and the doc didn't say if I should be worried about this or not and yet again sent me home. What does this mean to have elevated enzymes? Thank you for any answers you could give me!
It can be gallstones,or more worse primary sclerosing cholangitis.
I have gallstones and previously had ALT of 62 and AST of 45. I was concerned but heard from my friend's Insurance agent that eating large quantities of meat can produce high enzyme results. He said to stay off meat for two weeks and then get tested again.

Well, I stayed off meat for 10 days and guess what? My results today were: ALT 18, AST 18, Alkaline Phos. 70, Amalayse 72, Lipase 36...Bottom line? All perfectly NORMAL!  

Get re-tested. Stay off meat for at least 10 days. If you are obese, you can test high. Also, stay off alcohol for those 10 days as well. I did eat some shrimp (4) with pasta once and was still okay.

A high Alkaline Phos. can point to serious liver problems such as cancer, heart problems, gallstones and inflammation. Talk to your Doc.

Hope to see your results printed here when you get re-tested!