Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated LFTs
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Elevated LFTs

I am a 27 yr old male, 5' 10" 185 lbs, in relatively good shape.  I drink on average 15 beers a week and do not smoke. I rarely work out, but walk the dog on occasion.  I recently had a physical, and got a report of elevated LFTs.

AST 49
ALT 99
GGT 99
All other numbers were well within normal limits.  I had 3 beers the night before and 3 sausages for dinner (but well before the 12 hours of fasting required).  My cholestrol is 238.  BP is 140/80.

The blood was taken on Thursday and results back on Tuesday.  I have already made an appt with my Physician, but would it be wise to re-test after minimal to no alcohol intake after a few weeks as opposed to immmediately (aka tomorrow)?  

Could mmy intake the previous night have had a major impact on these numbers?  Are these numbers related to cholesterol and BP?

Thanks,
MEJ