Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated LFTs

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Elevated LFTs

I am a 27 yr old male, 5' 10" 185 lbs, in relatively good shape.  I drink on average 15 beers a week and do not smoke. I rarely work out, but walk the dog on occasion.  I recently had a physical, and got a report of elevated LFTs.

AST 49
ALT 99
GGT 99
All other numbers were well within normal limits.  I had 3 beers the night before and 3 sausages for dinner (but well before the 12 hours of fasting required).  My cholestrol is 238.  BP is 140/80.

The blood was taken on Thursday and results back on Tuesday.  I have already made an appt with my Physician, but would it be wise to re-test after minimal to no alcohol intake after a few weeks as opposed to immmediately (aka tomorrow)?  

Could mmy intake the previous night have had a major impact on these numbers?  Are these numbers related to cholesterol and BP?

Thanks,
MEJ
It is very likely that your liver function is elevated because of your alcohol.  One approach would be to repeat the levels in a few months off alcohol.  Another would be to screen for hepatitis and perform an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate for fatty liver or other diseases that can elevated the liver function.

A single night alcohol intake prior to the test should not bump the levels - it would require chronic alcohol use.  Your liver function tests should not be associated with the BP and cholesterol, however very severe liver disease can affect blood pressure.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.