Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated liver enzymes - should I be concerned with these numbers?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I recently got the results of a blood test back, and got the following:

Bilirubin: 1.4
AST      : 46
ALT      : 94
GGT      : 65

All of these are above normal.

I am a 35/yo male in good health.  I drink very little (1-5 drinks a week, perhaps), am not overweight, and have a good choloesterol count.  I feel fine.  I'm not taking any meds.  I exercise sporadically, and not as consistantly as I should, but I'm not in bad shape.  My diet is fairly healthy.

When I took the test I was in the middle of a lengthy, rather bad head cold / sinus infection.

Other than that, which has now passed, I'm aware of no other health problems.  No hepatitis, etc.

The lab ran these tests for a doctor who was trying to sell me HGH therapy, and I don't really trust that doctor to act in my best interests like my own physician would.  He said we should do another test in a couple of months and see if the levels are still elevated.

My questions are:
1.  How bad are these numbers?
2.  Should I run to my own doctor with these results to do further testing, or should I wait for the second test to be done by the HGH doctor and see what's going on then?
3.  What could numbers like this indicate?

To answer your questions:
1) These numbers show mild elevation of the liver function tests.

2) I would consider further testing.  The first would be repeat testing in a few months off alcohol to see if they would decrease.  I would also consider a hepatitis screen (hepatitis A/B/C) and an abdominal ultrasound.   If those tests are negative, you can consider tests for rarer diseases, such as a ferritin level and iron tests for hemochromatosis or a ceruloplasmin level for Wilson's disease.

3) As mentioned above, there are a variety of causes of elevation of liver function.  Fatty liver, alcohol, medications, hepatitis and various liver disorders can all cause elevation.  The ultrasound and hepatitis screen would be a good starting point.  If the levels continue to rise without a clear cause, you can consider a biopsy to give a more comprehensive evaluation.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Correction - my GGT is 82.
Were you tested for hepatitis C? If you had a cold and were taking tylenol or other products it could be as simple as a transient elevation. Have your blood re-checked.
I was not tested for Hep C.  I've contacted my own doctor and am waiting for her to get to me.  I assume she'll want to run another test.
I am 27 and recieved simliar numbers.  I am in good health, but consume roughly 10 drinks a week.  I have sceduled an appt tomorrow (The blood was drawn last week and esults within 6 days).  Also, my cholesterol is 248 and BP was 140/80.  Are these numbers related? 5' 10", 186 lbs.

AST 49
ALT 99
GGT 99
CHOLesterol 248

All other numbers are within normals.

Thanks.
My liver enzyme was at 155.........way over.I was told that isn't cause for concern, as people with Hep and Cirrosis (cirrhosis) have a count over 400. Is this true?
Absolutely NOT true. I have cirrhosis and my AST is 40 and ALT is 35. You need a new doctor.
Is having a Fatty Liver abnormal , if I have good apetite ?
I am 30, been complaining over gallbladder attack for 10 yrs now. They took out my gb in 1998, with two big stones. since then, more attacks, every year, around same time. ive had mri, mrcp, ercp, es, every test possible, still haven't found out whats wrong. latest lft report : ggt @ 850, alt @ 939, ast @ 489, bilirubin 189. you think you got problems !!! join the club
A related discussion, Liver Mystery was started.
A related discussion, just wondering was started.