Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Enlarged Blood Vessel on the Liver

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Enlarged Blood Vessel on the Liver

I don't usually post on these forums but am curious to know if anyone has ever heard of my malady.  I had a "lap chole" (gallbladder removal) in Oct of last year and since then I often feel as though my gall bladder is still there with a "full" sensation under my right rib cage.  My GP ordered an abdominal ultrasound and as soon as they completed that test, the radiologist needed an abdominal cat scan.  Had the cat scan the following day and apparently the results show "an enlarged blood vessel" which my GP is telling me would NOT present any symptoms and that it is a benign condition with no treatment necessary.  Has anyone ever heard of this before?
Is there another name for it?  I have an hemangioma (shown on ultrasound and MRI) on my liver.  I'm told it's sort of a collection of blood vessels, but nothing to worry about. BUT I am worried.  I also have elevated liver enzymes.  Do you have other symptoms?
No other symptoms, liver enzymes were perfect last August.  Do you have symptoms?
I also have a mass on my liver, about 3.8 cm which they called atypical hemangioma. It did get bigger in the last year, so I have to go see a specialist, i guess to determine what it really is.
Do you have any symptoms with yours?  My GP simply said it was an enlarged blood vessel and that it would not cause my symptoms, but I am seeing a Gastro Specialist at the end of this month for another issue, and will have him check this as well. I am also experiencing back pain at the bottom right rib that wraps around to the front right where the fullness is.
Good Luck with your appointment at the specialist.
Other than elevated liver enzymes, I have gallstones and a stone in common bile duct.  I have no pain.  I'm supposed to have an ERCP for the duct stone but am waiting to see a specialist about the liver hemangioma first.  No doubt there will be a biopsy.  Would like to hear from you...
A related discussion, Enlarged bloodvessel was started.