Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Esophagus or Heart Flutter?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Esophagus or Heart Flutter?

I'm a healty 35 year old male. About a year ago, I had some stomach pains and aches. Went to GI Specialist, and he stated that I had gastritis. No big deal. But every now and then, I get a  flutter on my chest (which really freaks me out) when I'm lying in bed. Its like a 'quivering' feeling in my chest, and it's only when I lay on the right side. Basically, this flutter/quiver lasts several seconds, but can feel like a pretty dramatic event. Quickly following the episode, my throat tickles and I'm coughing. I had a Heart Stress test done and Heart Echo about 6 months ago, with no abnormalities.

Any ideas? Is this some sort of Esophagal Spasm or is it a Heart Palpitation.  

I doubt it is the same thing as yours but FYI:
I have had similar problem twice but mine lasted much longer as in hours.  The second time I went to the ER where they told me it was an irregular heart beat caused by the top part of my heart beating an extra time.  Four doctors have told me its nothing to worry about.  The worst thing that can happen and it is very rare except in older people, is a blood clot forming, so I was told to take an asprian.    Usually it is caused by drinking,  Mine was not. Two out of four doctors (a Carido and a GP)thought mine was caused by stress related to my gallbladder, the third (a Cardio) thought it might have been caused by my meds, and the fourth (an ER doctor)stated it could be caused by a thyroid problem (later ruled out by testing).  IF yours is the same thing it is nothing to worry about (I know the fluttering in your chest is scary), and the only way for the doctors to know for sure is for you to go to the doctor or ER when it is happening and to be put on a heart monitor. Try to cut out as much stress as possible and exercise.  See a doctor during the symtoms (symptoms) if possible (if they last long enough).

JC

A related discussion, I'm having a stress test for ??? was started.