Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Excess Gas and Frequent Bowel Urges

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Excess Gas and Frequent Bowel Urges

Hello:

I have a lot of gas and bowel urges especially after lunch.  After going to the washroom to relieve myself (I always get the feeling that the bowel movement is incomplete), about an hour later, the gas and bowel urges would come back.  If I go the second time - some bowels and some gas; and for the third time - little/no bowels and some gas.  It is rather embarrassing and inconvient to frequent the washroom as my work is rather demanding.  I went to my gastro. doctor and he gave me Spasmonal and told me it would make my colon less sensitive (which by the way only gave me a painful stomach).  He also gave me Lactobacillus and Duphalac (active ingredient - Lactulose).  Lactobacillus was said to help my flatuence problem which it didn't.  Duphalac was given to help constipation? which it helped bowel movements but it didn't cure the overall problem.

I am also diagnosed with an anal fissure and I was given Ultraproct supp. which it did nothing to cure the condition or stop the pain.  I would feel burning pain from my anus when I hold back the gas/bowel urges.  I can't really belch/burp to get rid off the gas.  Are the conditions - anal fissure/gas/bowel urges connected?  Can surgery/medicine rectify some or all of these problems?  

In addition to my doctor's prescription, I also take Metamucil (day and night) and Beano before lunch.  Both did little to cure my condition.  I tried eliminating dairy products for about a week but it doesn't seemed to do the trick.  I exercise regularly and drink at least 6 cups of liquids a day.  

Thank you - Sincerely
HI, I AM HAVING SOME SIMILAR PROBLEMS.
I GET BLOATED AND HAVE REAL SHARP PAINS ALL OVER MY STOMACH
AREA.  THEN I QUICK TRIP TO BATHROOM TO RELEIVE MY SYMTOMS (symptoms)
AND IN THE PROCESS PUKE, LOOSE BOWELS (AT THE SAME TIME --
IMAGINE THAT-- HA, HA), AND HOT FLASHES. SO BAD THAT I HAVE
TO STRIP WHILE ON THE POT. I FEEL AS IF I CAN NOT TOLERATE
THE PAIN AND WILL PASS OUT.  BUT OF COURSE I HAVE NOT BEEN LUCKING ENOUGH TO PASS OUT WHERE I DON'T FEEL THE PAIN, THIS LASTS FOR ABOUT 2-3 HOURS IN WHICH 2-3 TRIPS TO THE BATHROOM
HAVE OCCURED. THIS HAPPENS LATE IN THE EVENING USUALLY ABOUT
11PM TO 3AM, BUT LAST NIGHT ABOUT 9PM. LOOSE BOWELS AREN'T REALLY LIKE DIARREAH (diarrhea) BUT SANDY AND GRITTY AND HEAVY AND OF COURSE ALOT.
I WENT TO ER LAST YEAR AFTER AN EPISODE I DID NOT THINK I COULD HANDLE ONE OF THE WORST EVER!!! I THOUGHT FOOD POISONING, BUT THAT WAS RULED OUTL.  I WAS TOLD THAT SINCE THIS OCCURS SEVERAL TIMES A YEAR I COULD POSSIBLY BE PASSING STONES.  I WAS DIRECTED TO PROCEED TO ER NEXT TIME AND HAVE THEM PHOTOGRAPH MY DUCTS TO SEE IF THEY WERE OPEN.  WELL I DID NOT GO LAST NIGHT, NO ONE HOME TO TAKE ME.  I DID RESEARCH ON GALL BALDDER REMOVAL AND IT IS NOT VERY PRETTY SO I AM AFRAID I WOULD RATHER DEAL WITH THE SYMTOMS (symptoms) SEVERAL TIMES A YEAR AS LONG AS I CAN HANDLE THE PAIN.

ANY COMMENTS???
HI, I AM HAVING SOME SIMILAR PROBLEMS.

ANY COMMENTS???
Yes there is a surgical solution for your problem. Although I'm not a doctor I do know from my own experience that a Colon/Rectal Surgeon would be your best bet on who to see.  Anal Fissures can be repaired.  Perhaps you need to have your sphincter muscle tightened as well.  My recommendation to you is to get an appointment with a very good Colon/Rectal Specialist in your part of the country.  I don't know how close to Richmond, Virginia you live but if you are close enough I can recommend a superb Colon/Rectal Specialist.  Just let me know.  Best of luck to you and hope you get to the bottom of your problems soon.  It's not fun spending your life in the bathroom.  Trust me on this one, I know!
My mom had all of your symptoms. And I am not trying to scare your but if you have not had an colonoscopy you may want to have one. She started having lightheadedness and dizziness which they diagnosed as vertigo. After 6 weeks it did not go away and they did an mri and found 2 tumors in her brain, they removed 1 of them but could not the other. Turns out she had mestatic stage IV colon cancer that had spread to her lungs and brain. She now has a colostomy and is only 46 years old. I urge people to get the test if they have these symptoms for long periods of times because early detection is the key and now she will not be here to see her grandchildren grow up. God Bless!
I hae suffered with what seems to be the same stomach problem for al of my life.  I ever know when it will occur, but it is always at night.  The cramps are horrible...cold sweats, hot flashes, vomiting and finally disgusting diarrhea.  These episodes can go on for 3-5 hours and leave me exhausted.  I think that eating too much at dinner is a factor, also anything with too much fat, a lot of beef, Carvel ice cream (haven't even thought about eating that in about 30 years!)  I have these attacks about once a month or so.  My sister also suffers from this.  Gas-X pills seem to help a little, but I still writhe and scream on the floor in my bathroom.
i feel as if i am walking in  your shoes also,  i have been on so many different meds that i am sick of it!   but my husband tells me i must keep taking it.  work is almost impossible, i have been in the hospital 3x in since august 2001, most recently february and april.  my boss is giving me a hard time about missing work, but can i do?  this is such a depressing syndrome to dealwith on a day to day basis. i am scared to go shopping or to church or visit friends/relatives for fear of getting sick again.  is there realy any help out there for us?  thanks
While you are investigating into the causes of your gastro problms, you mite want to ask your doctor for a perscription of Bentyl (10 mgs 3 x daily, altho 1 a day works fine for me & STOPS the GASSY craps, but I dare not try to go w/o that 1 pill or the symptoms return w/ a vengence!!!) Good luck, Janice Lynne =^..^=
I have to say that I do have similar problems.  I was born with a rectal fissure although a gastrointestinal specialist told me that I don't have one(he didn't do in internal).  Sometimes when I eat I will have hot sweats and what I call stomach pain although I'm sure it's in my intestines.  This doesn't go away until I go to the bathroom.  I have on a normal day about 6 bowel movements all of which are soft and often unformed.  Sometimes these symptoms will go away after the first BM or it will last a few hours.  Sometimes it happens with foods I haven't ever eaten or rarely eat.  Sometimes it seems to happen for no reason.  Someone told me about her symptoms which are quite similar and she has IBS.  I checked out a website and it just seems to much like what I might have and I thought that I would share it with you all.  Maybe there is some better way for you to help yourselves.  The site is http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/irrbowel/irrbowel.htm  Hope this helps.
My 43 year old boyfriend has had somewhat loose bowel movements since I have known him - 4 years now.  Over the past 6 months though he seems to have them rapidly after he eats.  The urge comes on all of a sudden and if he isnt near a bathroom he panics.  Tonight we had dinner, mainly meat - protein, and within an hour from finishing he had to go without warning.  Any ideas?
A related discussion, CAN ANYONE HELP ? was started.
A related discussion, passing gas was started.