Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Excess bile

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Excess bile

About a year ago I became ill. After tests (most were borderline) my doc decided to remove my gallbladder anyway. After the surgery symptoms were lessened but persisted. I ended up having an endoscopy which showed nothing unusual except for excess bile in the stomach. I had a test done which ruled out crone's disease. My doc thought it might go away, but it's been 9mos since my surgery and endoscopy and I still have symptoms consistant with excess bile; nausea, excessive gas, a constant feeling of fullness, mild stomach pain. Does anyone know what might cause excess bile? Could it be a hormonal imbalanc? Perhaps due to an excessive amount of the hormone Secretin? Tests for liver function have always been normal, but could this be a disorder of the liver? PLEASE HELP! I've found no info anywhere!
Ask your doctor if it could possibly be Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction.  I had my gall bladder out in December of 1994 and I didn't get help with the pain until December or 2001.  Just like you these symptoms did not show in all the test performed.  It wasn't until my ERCP did I get the final result of SOD.  Try staying away from red meat for a couple weeks and see if it helps any.  Chicken and Fish is okay and stay away from anything with high fat content.  Good Luck and let us know how you are feeling.
My doctor put me on Questran light which reduces the bile..this has helped a great deal.
What is Questran light and do you need a prescription for it?

How has it helped you.  Please e-mail me at ***@****
I've researched "excess bile" since June 2000 when my gall bladder was removed due to stones.  If gall stones are cholesterol stones, not calcium stones, there is a good chance excess bile or "fat intolerance" will follow.  I take one scoop of LoCholest Light (another form of Questran) every other day.  This helps absorb excess bile, but does not cure the problem.  I can not eat high fatty foods, especially fried meats, french fries, and ice cream.  I am currently researching Lipase which is an enzyme that can be taken daily to help aid fat digestion.  A Lipase dificiency can cause gall stones and excess bile (digestion) problems, as well as heart disease.  Excess bile and "cholesterol" gall stones are factors in getting heart disease.
My comment is really a question. Is it possible that removal of the gall bladder can cause a condition similar to Addison's except for skin discoloration and pigmentation?
I have been suffering with stomach pain, nausea and vomiting for nearly 10 yrs. I used to be obese but my diet for this period is quite low fat and I rarely eat red meat. I was treated for excess acid but have since been found to have bile reflux. I am now waiting to see if the cause is gall stones but I'm concerned that if it is and I have a cholecystectomy the symptoms could get worse is this a risk?
A related discussion, SOD was started.