Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Explosive, continuous stomach gas and fatigue

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have recurring bouts of stomach gas that are very loud and uncomfortable, accompanied most times by stomach discomfort or bloating.  There is seldom any flatulance involved.  I mean, it is hard to get people to believe how bad and continuous this is (except for my wife).  It can go on for the better part of a day, for 2-3 days in a row.  Recently, I experienced the symptoms off and on for 2 1/2 weeks. This gas is paired with a "funny" stomach and GERD symptoms.  During these times I have little appetite and am afraid, in fact, to eat much for fear it will only exacerbate the symptoms.  Ironically, however, I cannot connect these symptoms with any aspect of my diet.  I have a very healthy, consistent diet of little red meat and the bad fats, and 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables daily.  The diet has been consistent for several years.  None of the over the counter remedies for stomach distress will touch this condition and my GE says there are no medicines to relieve the symptoms.

Associated with these symptoms are extreme fatigue.  I am in excellent physical shape, working out about 4 times per week and very active.  Even at 71 I often put in several full days of constant labor, such as yardwork and carpentry, with no ill effects.  Then, these symptoms will hit me and it is hard to get up the stairs without pause.  I have had several blood tests which show normal.  I've also had an endoscopy, barium enema and colonoscopys.  ( I had my sigmoid colon removed in December due to diverticulitis.) My GE says he believes I have "functional dyspepsia", which means they don't know where it comes from or what to do, and yet, this uncertainty is highly unsatisfactory to me.  How can I be so healthy and then get whamed with this problem?  How can I have an intestinal/abdominal condition that can so sap my strength?

I have been on prilosec/prevacid for a few years but take no other medications.  Should I lay off these protein pump inhibitors for a while?  If so, why?

I have a glass a wine at night but rarely anything else.  When I have this condition I cannot stomach the wine.  However, of interest, when my stomach is bad I will try a glass of gin over ice and this will sometimes alleviate the problems.  Sometimes not.

I'm not stressed, except for this condition, and am otherwise enjoying a very good life.  Any ideas???
With the upper endoscopy, that is a pretty comprehensive test.  Other things to consider would be gallbladder disease - which can be evaluated with an ultrasound.  A 24-hr pH study can be considered to evaluate for the presence of GERD.  If present despite the administration of PPIs, you may want to consider a surgical referral to see if this is an option.

Another test to consider would be a gastric emptying scan.  Gastroparesis, or delayed gastric emptying, would be an atypical cause of the symptoms you describe.

If all the tests are negative, then irritable bowel can cause an increased sensitivity to gas and bloating.  Antispasmodic agents can be considered if this is suspected.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Dr.  What might be the connection from gall bladder to the extreme fatigue?  Also, do you have some suggestions for antispasmodics that I can bring up with my personal physician?  The GE tried me on desipramine but I suffered insomnia and had to stop it.  Thank you.   buddyrough
there are some interesting article on stomach acid,that as we age we have less stomach acid ,not more.
also taking prevacid,prilosec ect reduce stomach acid,so a combo of age and medication could produce a situation where there is not enough stomach acid to digest food.
half digested food passed from stomach to interstine/colon and interact with bacteria to ferment gas,sometimes this gas is powerful enough to push thru the stomach splincter and move up the system.
veggies are hard to digest.
some food is acidic and some are alkaline.
one way to find out whether the symtoms (symptoms) after you eat is caused by too little acid or too much acid is to drink cranberry juice or have a fruit flavored popsicle after you eat,if the symptoms go away,then you may be looking at a situation of not enough acid.
Yoshi.  Very interesting, I will try the cranberry next time.  For Dr KYP:  Please when you have a moment, answer my previous questions re the potential connection of my symptoms to gall bladder issues.  Medical terminology is fine if necessary.  Also, any recommended antispasmodics would be welcome.  I have tried Bentyl, no effect.  BTW, I meant to mention that I have had lactose intolerance for years and do not eat/drink dairy (I use lactaid milk on my cereal and yes, I sneak a small ice cream once in a while).  Thank you.
doc may not revisit this thread ,if you want him to answer your question,you have to start a new thread.
Try guardia. Explosive diahorroea, often fatigue. Often from poor water in Russia, Africa, Asia. ie a large chunk of the world's population has it all the time. Hence the 'lazy' people of the third world
yoshi,

I have just returned from about a month in Europe.  When I left I was of course, concerned about new and strange foods and their effect on my stomach,  However, just before I left I read your comment about maybe not enough acid.  I decided to go cold turkey on the PPI's (altho I took them with me) about 5 weeks ago to coincide with the trip.  I am surprised to report that I am better and have only had a few epidsodes of the stomach distress.  I don't know if it is this simple but I am continuing on this approach to see how it goes.  Thanks for your input.
Ok, all I have a stumper for you guys that no Gastrointeroligist has any idea what to do:
   I am a young guy who has had an escalating amount of stomach irritation resulting in gas for the past 4 years. It used to bother me sometimes and/or be contingent on what i would eat. Now, I have continious stomach gas irrespective of what i eat or whether or not i eat at all. This stomach gas will get so bad that it will fill me up with so much gas i feel like my stomach/(bladder?) will literally explode. It is just an awful thing to have to deal with day in and day out because it bothers me for 18 hours out of everyday.  

Now this is what was done to try and treat it: I had an endoscopy and biopsy of my stomach lining. Nothing was necasserily determined. I had a sonogram done on my stomach and wherever else, which determined nothing as well. I have taken Nexium, prilosec, and preveced without one bit of relief. The only thing that actually worked was these little tiny round white pills called "Hysophen Tablets for Donnatal"; very bitter if you taste it but one little pill was very effective. It worked incredibly for 2 weeks to the point where i forgot about my stomach pain until one day, it stopped working completely. I don't have medical insurance so going to the GE doctor isn't an option. Do you have any ideas?? Without giving me the 'stumped doctor' explanation of 'uh...you have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and you're just going to have to live with it' -as one GE doctor said to me before.

Oh one more thing: What the heck is eccessive stomach gas caused by??

If you can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

A related discussion, fatigue was started.
A related discussion, explosive gas, bloating, and diarrhea was started.
A related discussion, Acid pockets in stomach was started.