Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Extreme Bloating

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Extreme Bloating

I have been suffering from extreme bloating for the pas two or three weeks. i feel like i need to burp really bad but i can not find anyway to release the air in my stomach. i am a 20 year old male and have had a notoriously poor diet my whole life. I also Drink around 10 cokes daily. Since my bloating has started I have quit drinking cokes and drastically changed my diet.I have also been taking large amounts of simeticone in the form of Gas-X and phazyme. I take Beano whenever I eat and eat lots of altoids peppermints. The bloating seems to fluxuate and occurs almost randomly. On many days I will only drink water yet still I get bloated. Any possible diagnoses or ways to provide relief would be greatly appreciated.
Considerations would include the various causes of dyspepsia (GERD, ulcers or inflammation of the upper digestive tract).  Gallbladder disease as well as irritable bowel syndrome can also lead to increased bloating.  Needless to say, marked soda intake can lead to bloating.

I would consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy as an initial first test - this would evaluate for many of the disorders mentioned.  The liver/gall bladder can be evaluated with an ultrasound and this option can be discussed with your personal physician.

If everything is negative, you may want to discuss irritable bowel syndrome as a possibility.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
peppermint,chocolate,citrus fruit,onion,licorice,tomato,tomato sauce,soda,caffeine,fat,oil,nuts will all irritate your stomach.
gas x will neutralise gas already in your system,it wont stop your stomach from making more gas.
dont really know why you are taking beano,thats for beans?are you eating lots of beans??
may be you should try zantac,prilosev,both are otc medication
Good heavens lilbum!!!!  I finally found someone who drank more pop than me!!!!  Thank God you have changed your diet and I can only hope you changed it for the better.  I, like you, was a junk food junkie and it caught up with me as well.  Eat lots of clean fresh vegetables, as well as organic meats.  Drink lots of water and give yourself time to heal.  No sugar!!!!!  And that might be hard for you after all the sugar and high fructose corn syrup you've had.  My health crash was a wake up call.  I hope you get better quick.  You're definitely on the right track by changing what you are consuming.  I suggest you look into probiotics at your local health food store.
Thank you all for your advice and support i sincerely appreciate it