Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Extreme fullness after eating
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Extreme fullness after eating

I am a healthy 36 year old male, well I used to be.  I weigh 200lbs and had been exercising for years, recently stopped due to logistics and job change.  My cholesterol is good.  I have had a recent bout with PAC's which have gotten better, less stress I assume??  I had 24 holter, which showed numerous PACs up to 12+ at a time.  No arrhythmias.  Blood test was normal, slightly low red count & hemo's.  Scheduled for an Echo to rule out any heart problems, but Cardiologist thinks not.  

I am now experiencing extreme fullness after eating, more so after lunch and dinner.  After eating breakfast I seem ok, bowl of cheerios.  I have also had a lot of burping.  No real symptoms of pain, other than the slight pain of the extreme fullness.  At night when I lay down for bed the fullness gets worse and almost turns into burning.  Almost seems hard to breath sometimes because I'm so full from small meals.  

After my Echo and wrap everything up with the cardiologist I plan on seeing a gastroenterologist, maybe I shouldn't wait???  

Do my symptoms suggest anything in particular?  Also, stools look normal and occur normally.  Could it be just not enough veggies/fiber?  Any chance a gastric problem could cause the PAC's?

Thanks!!
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
Things that come to mind include GERD, gastritis/esophagitis, an ulcer, gall bladder disease, gastroparesis or (less likely) an anatomical lesion leading to a blockage (such as a stricture or mass).  

With the low blood count however, you have to make sure that the cause isn't an occult GI bleed (such as an ulcer or mass).  

I would definitely be tested for your symptoms.  The first test I would suggest would be an upper GI series and/or an upper endoscopy (which would be a more comprehensive test).  

If negative, I would pursue an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the gall bladder and if negative, a gastric emptying scan to evaluate for gastroparesis.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
Blank
I had something *perhaps* similar. PVCs/PACs for over one year - even spent a week in cardiac ward last year. I also had fullness and bloating after eating, particularly carbs, but I had soft stools frequently and occasional constipation, which you don't have.

Finally diagnosed with d. fragilis last month. Treated with Flagyl, but only made it through 4 days of pills because of bad reaction and spent several days in the hospital recovering. Also had colonoscopy which I can't recommend :P. Now I have pretty bad GI problems - taking Pepsid AC which helps overall malaise and potassium supplement which helps joint aches. Every day I'm feeling more like my old self.

** But after all of this, my PVCs/PACs are GONE!

In short, you might want to get checked out for parasites. It often takes several samples for diagnosis. Check out www.badbugs.org for more info.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity