Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Extremely high liver enzymes
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Extremely high liver enzymes

My doctors are puzzled about my condition.  A blood test last week revealed that my AST is 1004 and my ALT is 1022.  My bilirubin reached 3.3 as well.  Since both levels were extremely elevated, they put me in the hospital for testing...all came back negative...Hepatitis A, B, and C....negative.  I had my gall bladder removed in 1995, but no blockage of the biliary duct, no other things found on 2 different endoscopic tests.  I have a little gastritis...but not much else.  I do have high blood pressure that is controlled by meds.  I do not smoke and I only would drink twice a month or so.  I do not take Tylenol and I do not do drugs or share needles.  I have never had a blood transfusion.  Actually, I donated blood in August 2009 and no problems were present then.  I did have some jaundice in my eyes and very dark yellow urine.  They treated me with Mucomyst, Prevacid, and antibiotics...but they have no diagnosis other than I must have injured my liver.  I have been in no accidents.  I have hypothyroidism, but I am on Synthyroid medication.  I am overweight by about 45 pounds.

I did have some steriod injections in my back in September 2009. And I did eat some oysters about 3 weeks ago in a gumbo, but they should have been cooked.  One of my doctors is a gastroenterologist, so I feel he should know what's going on.  He said I was negative for Wilson's Disease and they are waiting for the EB Virus results.  I am also HIV negative.  My husband seems to be healthy with none of these issues, but he has not been tested.  

Do I have Muscular Dystrophy?  They both "feel" I do not have liver cancer, but the next step would be a liver biopsy.  My blood glucose was 79...and my amylase and lipase levels were normal, too.  They have told me not to eat shellfish, drink alcohol, or take Tylenol.  

Thanks for any additional information or recommendations.