Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gall bladder, ulcers or fatty liver causing pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

For several months I have been bothered by a dull burning under my right rib cage. Sometimes this pain is accompanied with slight nausea, heartburn, and much lethargy or weakness. I oftentimes wake up in the morning with this feeling which only rarely improves with eating. I was tested for gallstones and was found to have none but did have some fatty infiltration of the liver. I am overweight (230 lbs.)but even a change in diet does not seem to help- though I am trying to elminate most fried foods. I may do well for a few weeks but the symptoms usually return. The pain is never seldom severe but it is noticeable.

Could this be an inflamed gall bladder, ulcers or fatty liver causing this problem? My doctor has thrown up his hands and does not know what to suggest.
I  recently had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago. The symptoms were exactly as you had described plus I had pain in my right arm, and in my back. I originally went to the hospital because I was having an attack and didnt know what was happening. They did a CAT scan and blood work . My liver enzymes were elevated to 217 when the average is much lower than that. The cat scan showed absolutely nothing except a fatty spot on my liver so i was sent home with pain medication and told to follow up with my doctor. When I did see my doctor he sent me for an ultrasound which reveled i had a gallstone an inch in diameter. I had my gallbladder removed shortly after that. After surgery my doctor had told me there were 7 other stones the size of peas in my galbladder as well and stated it was a sick little gallbladder.

Since surgery my pain is null to none. The only pain i feel is the my body healing from surgery and my liver enzymes have gone from 217 to 42. It is a high average but within the normal range my doctor has told me. I guess my point is make sure you have gone every road possible because as you have read I had some of the so called better testing done and it showed nothing. Please be careful when it comes to your gallbladder. Don't accept a doctors hands being thrown in the air, go to a specialist if needed. Like the appendix, if it explodes in your body it can poison your body.
IF YOUR DOCTOR THROWS UP HIS HANDS I THINK IT'S TIME TO FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR.  THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DID AND FOUND A MORE COMPASSIONATE CARING PHYSICIAN THAT I TRUST.  I HAD MY GALLBLADDER REMOVED IN MAY AFTER HAVING THE SAME SYMPTOMS AS YOU DESCRIBED.  I NOW HAVE OTHER PROBLEMS RELATED FROM THAT SURGERY BUT AM BEING TREATED FOR THOSE NOW.  DON'T GIVE UP, THERE IS A REASON WHY THE BODY SENDS OUT THOSE PAIN STIMULI.  THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG.  IT'S FRUSTRATING I KNOW WHEN YOU THINK NO ONE IS LISTENING.  YOU MIGHT WANT TO FORGET THE ENTIRE THING BUT DON'T.  YOU'LL FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG AND BE GLAD THAT YOU DID.  GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING.