Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gallbladder

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Gallbladder

Can someone explain to me the reason that your gallbladder stones would cause discomfort along with an issue with your pancreas, even with clear liquids only running through your stomach?
1 Comment
Can someone explain to me the reason that your gallbladder stones would cause discomfort along with an issue with
     your pancreas, even with clear liquids only running through your stomach?

I'm not real sure what question you had about the pancreas.  As for the gallstones and why they would cause pain, I would expect that they could block the duct resulting in overfill of the gallbladder.  Even though internal organs don't have the number of pain/sensory receptors as the skin, if something is stretched beyond its limits, you will feel that.  I know that the gallbladder can rupture because my surgeon said my gallbladder had a lot of adhesions. Now, I don't know if the ruptures were from the stones rubbing against the sac or if the sac just couldn't drain and ruptured.

The outlet duct from the pancreas is very close to the outlet for the gallbladder and it is possible for a stone or sludge to interfere with the normal output function of the pancreatic duct.

OOOh, I can answer this one... I passed a gallstone 3 years ago.  I got one of the worst cases of Acute Pancreatitis, the doctors had seen in quite some time!  

The stone can get stuck in the Common Bile Duct.  When it gets stuck, your pancreas still tries to excrete its juices, amylase & lipase, which aid in digesting fats and proteins.  As a result of the backed up juices, they back up into the pancreas.  When the juices of the pancreas are left in the pancreas, they start EATING and digesting the pancreas!! viola (or however that word is spelled) you get PANCREATITIS!!!!!!!!  Inflamation (inflammation) of the pancreas.

In my case, the stone did get shoved down the digestive track, leaving behind 3 months of no eating, 4 sugeries, 160 plus days of hospital stays in the last 3 years, 4 ERCPs, and lots and lots of pain!  

My PERSONAL advise, if you have gall stones, get the gall bladder removed to prevent the horrible things it has caused me!!! (gallstones seemed to run in my family, but I never showed any previous symptoms of having them. Even x-rays might not pick up certain types of stones, so make sure an ultra-sound is performed.)

Bethany