Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gastroparesis and Hormones

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Gastroparesis and Hormones

My daughter who is 27 has been diagnosed with gastroparesis. She is not diabetic and does not have any of the other underlying causes of gastroparesis. Although she has some problems with eating and nausea all of the time, it becomes severe before her menstrual each month. She is on birth control pills and cycles through her period because going off the pill makes her gastroparesis much worse. Is there any research or information available on gastroparesis and hormones. Her internest seems to be at a loss as to why this has happened. She has been on birth control pills for several years. The doctor has put her on Reglan but it makes her depressed. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Hi, I am also suffering from delayed stomach motility and notice that my symptoms get much worse during ovulation and before my period.  I brought this up with my gynecologist last week.  He said that progesterone, which gradually rises during the menstrual cycle, is a smooth muscle relaxant and can slow motility in the stomach and intestines even more (I also notice constipation when I'm pre-menstrual).  He has prescribed a particular type of birth control pill that is low progesterone, and the progesterone is one of the weaker types (the progesterone is called norethindrone, the oral contraceptive is Necon .05/35).  I am starting this pill today and hope it will improve my symptoms.  You might also want to see if you can have domperidone prescribed for your daughter -- it is not available in the US yet but can be mail-ordered from Canada (I'm about to do this myself).  It works like reglan but doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier, and usually has minimal side effects.  Hope this helps and your daughter feels better.
A related discussion, Has my daughter got Gastroparsis was started.
A related discussion, Gastroperises and birth control was started.