Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Glaabladder/Hida Scan

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Glaabladder/Hida Scan

Yesterday I had a HIDA scan and my gallbladder did not show up? The xray tech said they could not inject the CCK because it did not show up and they injected me with morphine instead. Why would my ducts and small bowel show up but not the gallbladder? And why can they not use the CCK? Does this mean my gallbaldder is not working, or is this a normal finding. The few people I know that have had a HIDA scan came back normal. Thank You for your time  Kathy
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

As surgeon has mentioned below, if the gall bladder does not show up, it is likely that the ducts leading to it are blocked.  Obstruction can be caused by stones, tumors, or less frequently parasites or blood clots.  

The next step would be to evaluate what is causing the obstruction.  Imaging with an ultrasound should be performed with not already performed.  An MRCP or ERCP should be considered to evaluate what is causing the blockages in the biliary ducts.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
when the gallbladder doesn't show up, it usually means it's obstructed (usually by a stone) and is a significant finding: it means the gallbladder isn't working right at the time of the test, and typically is considered corroboration of the impression that the person is having gallbladder trouble. It's when it does show up that one is left up in the air: that it is working at the time of the scan doesn't mean it wasn't malfunctioning at some other time.
I should have added that they don't use CCK when the gallbladder doesn't show up: it's use is to evaluate how the gallbladder empties. So if it didn't fill in the first place, how it empties becomes moot.
Hello all. Friday August the 9th I had the hida scan, it showed a 25%, do ya'll think that my physican will opt for surgery? I am in constant discompfort and nausea, and constipation. This has been on going for at least 2 months. Any advice? Thanks
A related discussion, Stimulated Hida Scan was started.
A related discussion, CCK HIDA SCAN was started.