Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hepatic cysts of the Liver

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hepatic cysts of the Liver

I recently had a CAT Scan for chest and abdomen, and it revealed "multiple hepatic cysts of the Liver". There was no mention of malignancy, but a brief search on the Internet suggests to me that a single cyst of the liver is not a concern, but multiple cysts may impair liver function as well as become a source of recurring pain. I have no information about the rosk of them becoming malignant in the future.

This is new territoy for me. Anyone out there with previous experience with multiple hepatic cysts of the liver? I would greatly appreciate any feedback or insight you can provide.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Chicken Soup
Changing diet can help a lot in case of Hepatic cysts.
Liver have a great healing power, but in order to start healing, most important causative agents must be eliminated.
Increasing raw foods (organic vegetables & fruit), and increasing unprocessed foods like unrefined salt, unrefined oils,  and decreasing processed foods, heated oils, refined
foods! I would avoid and eliminate all concentrated sweeteners!
Juicing therapy can help a lot! Research wheatgrass and carrot juice. Also, coffee enema is a great remedy, and also liver flush. Research those subjects on internet. Check also castor oil packs.
Lind

I have multiple hepatic liver cysts.. I have posted on here a couple of times, but found no one with the problem.. I have a 21 cm. fluid filled cyst on my right liver lobe plus many more smaller ones throughtout the liver. I had surgery last year to deroof  the largest two and drain the fluid, but unfortunately it came back and came back larger..
I have read and was told by two drs. that this is a genetic disease.. I don't know anyone in my family who had them, however.Also, was told there is a slight predispostion to a malignancy with these.
I have pain in my liver area and my liver is very large.. I now have gallstones that showed up on my last ultrasound. I have been really worried since the large cyst is in the lobe where the gallbladder lies under. I see my GI dr. in Jan. We shall see what options I have then.. I am sure surgery is unavoidable.
I am constantly searching for others with this disease/disorder. If you would like you can e-mail me personally.  lstidh@cox-internet.com. I would like to hear from you.
I have researched everywhere I can look on the internet..
Have a nice day,
Lyn
Lyn:

Thank you for the feedback and your gracious offer to discuss further. I will take you up on that offer.

I am seeing my PCP on Dec. 19, and doubt he will shed much insight, but I intend to quiz him aggressively, and will let you know what he says.

I'd like a referral to a specialist, but doubt my HMO will approve it.

Thanks again, and I look forward to corresponding with you.

Best regards,
Chicken Soup
Hi Lyn:

Me again! I am a member of an internet based support group for esophageal cancer patients, and posted a similar question on hepatic cysts to that support group. Two other people in the Group have already responded that they have them (one is an EC patient, the other a caregiver for her husband who has them). They are both also very intersted in learning more. As I talk to them about it, I will be sure to pass on to you anything of interest that I learn (bearing in mind that I am still at the beginning of the learning curve).

I will be in touch.

Best regards,
Chicken Soup
Hi Again,
Thanks for any info. you can pass on to me in regard to the liver cysts..
I have tried to start a group for polycystic liver disease, which is what it is called I am told if there are multiple cysts. However, the url will not take you to the site..
You can go to MSN home page and type in support groups in the little white box.. When that page comes up, type in polycystic liver and it will bring up my group.. Linda's Polycystic liver disease support group.  I would welcome any new-comers. I am just getting started with the group, and know absolutely nothing about how to go about it.. I need the group to keep my sanity. LOL I have been very upset to find I have this rare disorder. The doctors know very little about it here.. They just know what it is and can recognize it from scans and such.
I will check in here .. I do most every day anyway.
Take care and have a nice day,
Lyn (Ark)
I'm curious, I have had right sided (liver area) pain for five yrs. Just had gallbladder out 6 weeks ago, pain still there not as bad, most of the time.  I had laporscopic surgery, Dr. said surrounding organs appeared OK, from what he could see!!  Do you think they would see cysts with that type of procedure??
  Thanks for your time...georgie
No, I don't think they would see cysts in the liver while doing laparoscopic gall bladder surgery. There would have to be a noticable external feature on the liver for your lapro surgeon to see it. If you are concerned about the recurring pain, and it doesn't improve with time (as your body fully heals from the surgery), ask you PCP to order an abdominal cat scan.

Good luck,
Chicken Soup
You a seriously recommending a coffee enema??

You are truly bizarre.