Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hepatitis B, SGPT (ALT) above normal

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hepatitis B, SGPT (ALT) above normal

I was diagnosed that I am a Hepatitis B virus carrier, and my blood test showed SGPT (ALT) level of 49 which is above normal level of 40.

My doctor didn't suggest any medication at this time, telling me that it's not practical to apply treatment until it reach a certain level, above 90.

Aside from refraining from alcohol, what other things I should do and should not do.  Is there any food that I should avoid, or I should take more?

I shall appreciate any ideas.

Thanks a lot.
I believe there's a period of time that your body can fight off Hepatitis B but I'm not sure if you're in the acute or chronic stage--possibly that's why he's waiting.  But for the most part, with chronic hepatitis, the enzyme levels are not the best indication to be treated.  I'm speaking more about Hepatitis C but this may also go for B.  People near cirrhosis can have normal or slightly above normal levels.  A biopsy is really the only way to know what shape your liver is in.

If your hepatitis is in the chronic stage (you've had it a while) and your doctor is giving you a "wait and see" with the enzyme level, I'd suggest either getting a biopsy and/or seeing a specialist--Hepatologist or a Gastroenterologist--and getting yourself thoroughly tested.

You may also want to post your question over at the Medhelp Hepatitis site: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/hepatitis/wwwboard.html
There's plenty of people over there with C, B and Auto-Immune that would be happy to answer you.  There's also a great GI-PA that pops in occasionally and answers questions if you also put attn GI-PA in the subject line with the rest of your subject.