Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hiatal Hernia, an Ulcer, and Chronic Gastritis at 30 years old

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am a 30 yr. old female and I have been healthy all my life. I have had a few bad stomach problems on and off most of my life. I finally went to a GI to talk about it because I have a constant pain in my upper-right abdominal quadrant and basically having a hard time with eating food and constant nausea. I had an upper GI pan endoscopy. They found that I had hiatal hernia (which I was likely born with), a duodenal ulcer, and chronic gastritis with inflammatory gastric polyps. I understand that gastric polyps is a rare condition.I tested negative for helicobacter, I don't have an autoimmune disorder, and no pernicious anemia. My doctor said it is likely the hiatal hernia  may have caused most of symptoms. Would this be correct that my Chronic Gastritis is due to the hiatal hernia?
I am also concerned because my grandmother and great-grandmother both died of gastric cancer (my grandmother was only 38 yrs. old when she died of it). The GI put me on a long-term treatment of Aciphex and Robinul Forte to ease the pain. She said I am not at risk for stomach cancer because I don't have helicobacter. I would like your opinion. Should I have anymore future endoscopies to monitor my polyps or condition?

If there is anyone out there with same conditions I have please share. I have always been told I was too young to have these types of problems and this just makes me feel worse and alone! I have always taken care of myself and I of a normal weight.
A hiatal hernia is more associated with reflux than with gastritis.  

Gastritis is normally caused by infection (i.e. H Pylori), autoimmune disease, hypersensitivity reactions, medications and bile acid reflux.  

Regarding the gastric polyp - follow-up recommendations would depend on the histology of the polyps.  Some do not require follow-up, while adenomatous polyps would require repeat endoscopy after 1 year.

These options can be discussed with your GI physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
I was recently diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia.  I was wondering if there is any exercise that I can do to put this back to normal or strength exercise that will stop it from getting worse?  Any comments are greatly appreciate.
Bignikko, I was told that having moderate exercise like walking was good. I was also told to sleep with my head proped up high on lots of pillows. I have been doing this for a week and it has helped a little bit.
Thanks. I will give it a try and i also seeing my doctor to complaint about having a feeling of a heart attack when GERD activated.  I am taking PreAcid but was thinking of trying out Nexium.
Yea, doctors are too quick to say your "too young" for this and that...my grandfather had surgery on his ulcer when he was 19.. and my mother passed away at age 22 (I was 3) from her ulcer that bursted..the doctors kept telling her she was too young too.
ALWAYS GET 2ND OPINIONS ON EVERYTHING....