Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Intenstinal Scar Tissue

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Intenstinal Scar Tissue

I'm a 45 year old male in relatively good health.  I exercise regularly and try to eat the right foods.  I suffer from GERD in which I take Prevacid for.

About a month ago I had a day of diarrhea and vomiting.  Might
To answer your questions:
1) It is possible that the scar tissue can lead to the symptoms.

2) Possibly, but it is impossible to predict.

3) Surgery can treat the scar tissue if it is causing obstruction or refractory symptoms.

4) I am not aware of scar tissue leading to dietary restrictions.

5) Finding out the cause can be helpful.  Once this is done, treating or avoiding the cause can be attempted.

6) Again, avoiding the cause to prevent progression can be done.

7) Scar tissue is normally caused from prior surgery or trauma.  It is unlikely to spread.

8) Imaging with a CT scan can be considered.  To further evaluate the GERD, a 24-hr pH study can be done as the next step.

These questions can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, think it is scar tissue? was started.