Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Irregular Contractions in Esophagus
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Irregular Contractions in Esophagus

Hello,

I was told that I have Irregular Contractions in my Esophagus and am puzzled by what exactly this means.  Do I have a paraesophageal hernia or is this something different.  I've had a GI Series which showed I have a small amount of reflux and a hiatus hernia.  I also had a gastroscopy which also showed the reflux.  I am currently waiting for my doctor to read the xrays but am puzzled by what this is.  FYI, I didn't know I had either the Hiatus Hernia or the reflex as I don't get reflux or heartburn very often.  

Can you help?

Thanks so much!
Related Discussions
5 Comments
Blank
Hey there -

My name is Tonya and I'm 31 years old.  I've been diagnosed w/biliary reflux.  I was wondering if you don't have any symptoms of reflux or the Hernia what prompted your doc to do the GI Series.  I mean what are your symptoms?

Thanks,

Tonya
Blank
Dr. Erik,
I have been on aciphex but have been having more and more problems with it.  Gas, bloating, palpitations, etc.  I was first given 20 mg. a day than increased to 40 mgs. a day for two months due to Barrett's Esophagus 1 cm. short segment.  This is when I began experiencing palpitations, etc.  Anyway, I just got switched to prilosec.  My question is, do some people have trouble with all PPI's?
Michelle
Blank
Everyone responds differently to different medications including the Proton Pump Inhibitors. Some may find relief with one and not another. There are other PPI's other than Aciphex: Prilosec, Nexium (new Prilosec), Prevacid and Protonix.
Blank
I HAVE TRIED JUST EVERY ACID REFLIX MEDICATION THAT ERIK JUST MENTION AND THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS NOT GIVEN ME PROBLEMS SO FAR IS THE PROTONIX. IT ALSO UNLIKE THE OTHERS ACTUALY SEEMED TO HELP ME. GOOD LUCK
Blank
I'm hoping that the doctor can answer my original post?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity