Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
LOTS of mucus in stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

LOTS of mucus in stool

After getting food poisoning (salmonella) about 6 months ago, I've had lots of mucus in my stool.  It doesn't happen all the time, but it usually does.  I went to the Dr and he perscribed Cipro.  That cleared it up for a couple days, but then it came back.  I went back and he said "we don't want to overmedicate it".

So anyway, it's been going on for the better part of six months.  I was told it could be IBS, but I've been under worse stress that what I'm under now and I've been fine.  This morning was really bad though.  I had diarrhea 4 times, some stool mostly liquid and mucus.  Any idea what it might be?  Oh yea, my stool has almost always been loose to really loose since the food poisoning.
Certainly the effects from the salmonella can lead to increased mucous in the stool.  Cipro is the appropriate antibiotic for this.  

Other causes can indeed be IBS, inflammatory bowel disease or malabsorption.  Since the symptoms have been going on for 6 months, I would consider a lower endoscopy (either colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy).  This can evaluate for some of the disorders mentioned.  I would also evaluate the stool for fecal fat malabsorption as well as do a blood test for celiac disease.

I would discuss these options with your personal physician or be referred to a gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
mucous in stool could be fungal/yeast infection.