Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Liquid Discharge from Anus

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Liquid Discharge from Anus

I am a 45 years old male.  I have been experiencing an annoying problem for about 8 months.  Almost every time I have a bowel movement and I wipe myself clean, small amounts of liquid continue to seep out of my anus for several hours following the trip to the bathroom.  The total amount discharged over a 3-5 hour period is very small (about 2 cc).  However it causes continual burning and itching in my anal area and forces me to go to the bathroom repeatedly to wipe and dry off of my anal area.  It is an embarrassing and annoying problem, but, more importantly, I am concerned that it is a sign of something more serious.  The problem started almost immediately after I had a sexual relation with a woman 8 months ago.  Copious amounts of her vaginal fluids had fallen on my anal area and I am wondering if something like a yeast infection (which she most likely had had at the time) may have been passed on to me or could cause the symptom I am experiencing.  Any explanations or ideas on what might be going on would be appreciated.
You may want to consider fecal incontinence.  A loss of continence can result from dysfunction of the anal sphincters, abnormal rectal compliance, decreased rectal sensation, or a combination of any of these abnormalities.

Most patients should have inspection of distal colon and the anus with flexible sigmoidoscopy and anoscopy (if the anal canal is not well-visualized during sigmoidoscopy) to exclude mucosal inflammation, masses, or other such pathology. In addition, appropriate testing should be obtained for patients with diarrhea, which often includes stool studies, and a full colonoscopy.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.  

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.

Bibliography:
Lobson et al.  Fecal incontinence.  UptoDate, 2004.
1 Comment
One possibility is a fistula-in-ano, which is a tract that develops between the anal canal and the nearby skin. It has nothing to do with any sexually transmitted disease, is not rare, and can be relieved with a fairly minor operation.
Sooner or later, the only way to get an exact diagnosis and proper treatment will be to see your doctor.
A related discussion, rectum liquid was started.