Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Liver Cysts

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Liver Cysts

I have been suffering from acute pain in the lower left abdomen and was recently sent for a CT scan.  I should also say that anything Gyn related has been ruled out.  The CT scan detected a cyst on the liver.  I realize that every case is different but I am wondering if this could be causing as much pain as I am experiencing and what would be the normal "next steps" for testing/treatment?  

Thank you.
Hello - thanks for asking your question.  

Most liver cysts have a benign course and do not cause pain.  Larger cysts may cause spontaneous hemorrhage, rupture into the peritoneal cavity or bile duct, infection, and compression of the biliary tree.  All of these complications cause pain in the right upper quadrant.

You are experiencing left lower quadrant pain.  Causes for this includes diverticulitis, colitis, a colorectal mass, inflammatory bowel disease or irritable bowel.  

You state that CT scan showed a cyst on the liver.  You may want to make sure the scan was able to see the lower colon to evaluate for colitis or diverticulitis.    

If the CT scan was adequate, I suggest the next step to be a colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy.  This would further evaluate the colon and see if inflammatory bowel disease, colorectal masses or polyps are causing your symptoms.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
I recently had a CAT scan done for a complaint of daily discomfort in my lower right quadrant, It revealed 3 or so cysts, some distention of the liver attributed to "fatty infiltration" and recommeded another CAT in 6 months, I still have some discomfort. I was taking for many years (4-5) Prilosek for GERD (actually I have Baretts). In the beginning several pharmacists expressed concern that I was contiued on Prilosek as they said it was intended for only several months of therapy. Obviously, I am now wondering if there is a relationship, as the reason for their warning was the fact that Prilosek caused liver cancer in lab rats...believe it or not. Also, is there anything I can do to help my liver and anything I need watch for? Thank you.
I recently had a CAT scan done for a complaint of daily discomfort in my lower right quadrant. It revealed 3 or so cysts, some distention of the liver attributed to "fatty infiltration" and recommeded another CAT in 6 months. For many years I took Prilosek for GERD but pharmacists were concerned about prolonged Prilosek. I am now wondering if there may be a relationship. Is there anything I can do to help my liver and anything I need watch for?
A related discussion, Liver cysts was started.
A related discussion, Cysts on liver was started.