Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Loose stools, mucous,gas and bloating

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Loose stools, mucous,gas and bloating

During the last two years my stools have become very loose and often liquid
  Often I have a build up of gas and expolsive passage of frothy mocous with little
  solid content. I have no pain and only recently have I noticed some light redness
  in the frothy mocous.
  I am a 57 year old executive with no history of health problems.Your advice will be
  greatly apprceiated.
___________
Dear Peter,
There are numerous conditions that could cause your symptoms.  They range from trivial to serious in their implications.  Statisitically, serious disease are usually not the explanation for symptoms like those that you describe.  
Colon cancer screening is considered standard of care for a person your age.  If your physician has been doing annual tests for blood in your stool (guaiaic testing) and you have had a flexible sigmoidpscp[y every 3 years, then you have excluded colon cancer as a cause for your symptoms. (the previous statement is based on the assumption that you do not have a family history of colon polyps and/or cancer)
The need to determine a specific cause for your symptoms would depend on how uncomfortable you are because of the symptoms and your anxiety about the problem.  There are also 'alarm' symptoms that should lead to investigation e.g. weight loss, loss of qppetitie or energy, fever, gastrointestinal bleeding with blood muxed with the stool.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always ask specific medical questions to your personal physician
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, colon cancer
0.2