Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Lower left abdominal pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Lower left abdominal pain

I'm a 38 year old obese female.  For approximately 2 months, I've had a pain in the lower left side of my abdomen (adjacent to my belly button).  It isn't a constant pain; it typically appears for a few hours.  Sometimes the pain is relieved or gone completely after eliminating gas or having a bowel movement.  Also, if I'm wearing pants with a tight waistband or tummy control pantyhose, the pain is relieved by pulling them away from the area.  

What is most concerning to me is that the pain is always in the exact same area.  I fear that it could be a mass or something equally as serious.

I'm in very good health considering the fact that I'm morbidly obese.  The only medication I take is Prevacid (30 mg. once a day) for acid reflux.  Is this pain I'm experiencing cause for concern?  What are some of the possibilities for its cause?

Thank you!
Potential causes for pain in the left lower quadrant include diverticulitis, colon polyps or cancer, inflamamtory bowel disease, or gastroenteritis.  

Tests to evaluate this would be an abdomina CT scan - which can identify areas of inflammation suggestive of inflammatory bowel disease or diverticulitis.  If negative, you may want to consider a colonoscopy to ensure there is no anatomical abnormality - such as a mass.  

I would suggest a gastroenterology consult for further evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I HAVE BEEN HAVING PAIN IN THE FLANK AREA AT ONE TIME IT WAS ONLY THE LEFT NOW BOTH , BUT ALSO IN MY STOMACH , GROIN AND LEFT SIDE.  HAD ALL THE KIDNEY TESTS AND KIDNEYS ARE PERFECT BUT I HAVE BLOOD IN URIN AND LARG AMOUNTS OF PROTINE.  THEY SAY IT COULD BE THE COLEN, WHAT OTHER SYMPTONS ARE YOU EXPERIENCING, I GET BAD DIZZY SPELLS WHEN I AM IN PAIN
I have had pain in my abdomin (abdomen) (lower left) for nearly a year.  I was recently diagnosed with acid reflux after several tests for this pain.  The medication, prilosec, works to control the pain most of the time, but not always.  I have two questions:  Do I need to be on another medication?  And, does pain in this area seem consistent with acid reflux (I have no other symptoms of acid reflux, like heart burn, sore throat etc...)?
A related discussion, lower left abdo pain was started.
A related discussion, pain in my lower tummy was started.