Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Medical Procedures and Titles

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Medical Procedures and Titles

What is the difference between laparoscopic fundoplication and nissen fundoplication?  What is the actual surgical procedure involved, simple, complicated, day surgery? What actually occurs during the procedure? What are the intended results.
Nissen Funduplication surgery is almost always done laproscopically to my knowledge.  I had this surgery in 1995 to repair a hiatal hernia and fix the problem I had with Acid Reflux.  Basically what happens, or in my case what they did was they took my stomach and wrapped it around my esophogus.  My reflux was SO BAD that it had burned away the flap at the top of my stomach.  This surgery was a cure all for me until last March.  I believe mine has broken lose.  I have acid reflux and heartburn really bad again.  I take 2 Nexium capsules a day.  I learned last year that this surgery is not a cure all for ever.  The average person's nissen funduplication surgery only last 7 to 10 years.  Unfortunately due to other medical problems I'm not a candidate to have it redone.  Hope this info helps.
laparoscopic simply means keyhole surgery....nissen as far as I an aware is the doctor that invented the fundoplication....not everyone has nissen fundoplication as I think that that is a full wrap of the fundus (top of your stomach) around your wind pipe...I had laparoscopic fundoplication on 3.8.2001 and I am doing fine....I was in hospital 2 nights...did not need lots of pain killers...just a problem eating for a while....I did not feel like I had had major surgery
A related discussion, Pain after Nissen Fundoplication was started.