Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Mid Right Abdomonal Pain -- ouch

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Mid Right Abdomonal Pain -- ouch

Hello. I am a 26 year old male, 6ft, 190lbs, and considered generally healthy. On Nov 2, out of nowhere, I've been having this dull generalized pain on the right side of my rib cage, where the ribs stop. I thought nothing of it until a few weeks ago, when it continued and worsened. A walk in clinic Dr ruled out an enlarged liver but ordered blood work and a urine test. All tests came out normal. My family doctor then ordered an ultrasound, but I have to wait a month!!! He thinks it has something to do with my gallbladder.

Now, just recently I been having dark green stools, and are quite foul smelling. (sorry). Its worrying me a little, but I have changed my diet a little to pure unfiltered apple juice and dark cherry juice, cut my fat intake, reduced spices, etc.

Other symptoms I experience are: - gas during the night - bloated feeling after eating - tightness in the mid section - pain when I crouch over (on the right side) - Pain in the right calf area, although lately its been ok.

FYI, my family has a history of gallbladder problems, but they occured later in life (35+).

Thanks in advance!

Darryl
Surgeon has kindly addressed your question in his comments below and I agree with his assessment.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
gallbladder definitely needs evaluation. Unusual that it takes a month to get one.
Thanks surgeon. Yes, I think my family physician was correct in his diagnosis: gallbladder. In my town of Kamloops BC, our hospital is currently undergoing extreme renovations and vast improvements; our hospital is 10 years behind anywhere else. So Dec 19 is when I go in, and then a week for the results, but its the holidays so I would have to wait until the 28th... Stress!

I think we have only one ultrasound machine for a population of 80,000. I could be wrong, we could have two!

My bowel movements used to be once a day, now its like 3. Sometimes its normal (but green lately), sometimes its runny.

Any other advice is welcome, and much appreciated!

Darryl
I was going to say I suspected you must be in Canada if it was going to take so long for the sonogram, but then I figured it would sound jingoistic. Green stools generally aren't an indicator of significant disease; the dietary changes you mentioned may have something to do with it. Meanwhile, assuming it could be your gallbladder, you'd be well advised to avoid fat-containing foods, since fat is more likely than other foods to trigger a gallbladder "attack."
Thanks Kevin and "surgeon" for the remarks and suggestions.

Happy Holidays!
I've had several dull aches in upper right stomach area. Went to E-room, Dr said i had gallblader (gallbladder) spasms. They lasted 2-4 hrs. never bothered me at work only on my weekend off. He said to stay away from fats oils and spicey foods. I still want to have blood work done and will first see my family Dr. on consultation. I had triple bypass and an aorti valve replaced (St Jude) almost two yrs. ago and have lost about 30 lbs. The Dr. at E-room prescribed Bellatol to take as needed. Since then i have had no attacks after watching my fats. I thought it was milk causing the problem (1 %) I am 59 and now 200 lbs.
Yes my problem seems to be I have a dull pain  on my right side in the middle, aligned with my belly button, never any sharp pain, but a dull pulling sensation and also a pulling sensation
on my lower right side.  I had a CT scan done and everything was normal.  I must ad that I had a major spinal fusion in 1965,
so maybe this is related to this pain.  I know I definitely need
to stay away from cheese products and other fats, but I only use olive oil for my seasonings, instead of butter and salad
dressings.  What do you think?
A related discussion, cherry juice and essential tremors was started.