New onset food intolerance - normal?
I'm 37, 5'4", 145 lbs, nondrinker/nonsmoker.   Over the last month, I get severe left upper abdominal pain within an hour of eating cooked eggs.  The pain does not seem to radiate and it is not accompained by gas, vomiting or diarrhea and it passes within a few hours.  Foods with egg in it don't seem to cause the problem.  It is not the eggs, as my family has eaten the same eggs with adverse reactions.   Beyond avoiding eggs, should I be concerned?  I am concerned because my reaction does not seem to follow the typical intolerance pattern.  Thanks.
Various causes of dyspepsia can be investigated.  GERD, an ulcer or upper GI inflammation can lead to the symptoms.  

An upper endoscopy or upper GI series, along with H pylori testing can be considered as an initial evaluation.

Testing for food allergies can be considered if the initial workup is negative.  I would also consider abdominal imaging, such as a CT scan.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with a GI physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Gastroenterologist in your area?