Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain Behind Right rib-(Not underneath Rib)

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am hoping you can help me. For approximately 6 months I have been having pain behind my right rib. (not below or underneath the rib) The pain is also in my right side and back. The pain is aggervating/uncomfortable during the day but is worse at night. It keeps me awake. Pain relievers do not help nor does a heating pad. There are times my rib gets tender and feels like it is bruised. I have had no injury in the area.
I do have IBS and Gerd. I did have an abdominal X-ray, Ultrasound, Upper GI w/ small bowel follow through, and recently a colonoscopy and EDG. I have not had my follow-up appointment yet since having the Colonoscopy and EDG but was told after the test that everyhting looking fine. There was nothing significate.  The other testing came back normal. I do take 40mg of nexium 2x a day.
The pain is really getting to me and the above testing is not giving me any answers.  I desperatly want a solution to this pain.  Can you tell me what other disorders can cause this?
Tags: Pain
There has been a pretty comprehensive GI evaluation.  You can consider a HIDA scan with CCK stimulation to evaluate the gallbladder function.  In those with a normal ultrasound (i.e. no gallstones), a low gallbladder ejection fraction can cause RUQ pain.  

If the testing remains non-revealing, you can consider looking outside of the GI system.  This can include chest imaging looking for pulmonary causes, or going to see a physiatrist (rehabilitation MD) looking for musculoskeletal causes.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Have you had your gallbadder checked?  That might be your next step if everything else came back normal.  I'm having some discomfort on my right side and well.  No major pain, but my back lower rib cage is tender as if bruised and I haven't had any trauma to that area either.  I also have pain on my lower right side like in the pelvic area, but only when I'm laying down and start touching around does it hurt and the pain radiates towards my side and back to lower rib cage.  If you get any insite on your problem please post it so I can see if it will help me any with my problems.  Good luck.
As we use to say in the Army, "Suck it up and drive on, soldier!"  What did you blood work come back and tell you (Your Doctor) and did you do a U.A.? (Results may very from person to person.)

We need facts!!! Only facts!! And nothing but the facts!

Doc Mahdo
What is a U.A?
Whiz qiz. (Pee pee test)  One need not study for the exam.  It's all "pass" or "fail".
Sounds as if quite a few people have the same problem with the under the rib pain.  I also have that problem and have had a test revealing slow emptying of the gall bladder, but I seem to have more problems when I drink.  I am a 54 year old woman who can not get any help from my doc's they all seem to think that it is complications relating to menopause.  When I have an attack of the pain under the rib cage my whole body seems to get a feeling of having a yeast infection.  My throat get sore, I have frequent trip to the bathroom and lately I have developed pain in my back above the waist line.  I have always been a healthy person, no surgerys no sickness. I am having one of the attacks now and I guess it is another trip to the doc.
Mrs Peke ~
  I suggest getting a second opinion. If your physician doesn't look past menopause, then you need to seek a different physicians advice. I'm not saying that your symptoms are not possibly related to menopause, but your physician shouldn't just assume it is. I saw a physician for almost ten years and more recently was having terrible stomach issues. He just assumed it was related to menopause (I am only 27; hysterectomy when 22) and he would not look for any other answer. Well after 10 hospitalizations this year, I fired that physician and got a new doctor. In one test, my new physician found out what was wrong; I have gastroparesis. You don't have to fire your doctor. I am just suggesting getting a second opinion. Even if they have the same opinions, at least you will have eliminated any other possibility. In my opinion, from what you state, it does sound like it is your gall bladder. I had mine out due to the same symptoms; plus my HIDA scan proved it was bad.

Please talk with your physician. I hope you get help/relief soon.

God Bless,
CJ
I have been having pain under my rib cage and in my upper back.
I had a HIDA scan done after receiving my Ultrasound results showing that my gallbladder is contracted. The scan diagnosis is Low gallbladder ejection consisted with biliary dyskinesia. The gallbladder ejection was calculated to be 11%.
The pain that I have been getting seemed to have gotten worse ever since I had the HIDA scan. I also have pain on the lower right side of my stomache.
My biggest concern is that I had Crohns disease since 1980 and had surgery for it with the removal of the right portion of my small intestines, and was wondering is the lower pain I am receiving is because of a reoccurrance of Crohns or because of my gallbladder. My gastrointerologist scheduled me for a colonoscopy on 2/6 however my primary Dr. sceduled me to see the surgeon for the gallbladder ejection. Should I notify my GI Doctor regarding my scan results or wait to see what the surgeon is going to tell me.My appointment with the surgeon is Friday 1/27.
YES!!  I am amazed at how many people have this same problem!  It is like we have all been abducted by aliens and implanted with something unknown!  I have had an ultrasound and CT scan but nothing at all was found.  Gall Bladder, Liver and Pancreas are all in good order and I had my appendix out when I was young - I am now 36.  I have had this pain for over a year now.  It started as a gradual thing when I was running on the treadmill at the gym.  I used to be able to run for at least half an hour up hill and fast, now I am lucky if I get 10 mins in before the pain is so sharp that I have to stop.  It is like a really bad stitch but higher up and it lasts longer, like you have torn or damaged something and so it kind of aches after.  I can ride a bike, use the cross trainer, row etc all without the pain, but running hurts!  It is also like I can feel something inside me but you can't feel it to touch.  If I am a bit stressed I also feel it.  The only time it actually hurts is when I run, the rest of the time it is just uncomfortable and if I am sitting on the couch or lying in a certain position it sometimes feels like it is digging into me.  But the Doctors tell me they can't find anything!!!  This to me is not a good sign as I want them to find something and then do something to get rid of it so I can get back to nice long runs!  It is SOOO frustrating as I am sure you all know!  I have also developed Hives in the last 6 months which only come out at night and then are gone by morning so I can't even show Doctors this.  I was rather highly stressed when I contracted them so I guess this is how I got them but I am not sure if they are related to my other problem.  They mostly come up over my legs but I have been known to get them on my arms, stomach and bottom.  But only at night.  I thought it may be when I get hot but I get hot and sweat at the gym and don't get them but when the moon comes out, out they come!  My skin on my legs just burns!Another alien unexplained thing.......
PEOPLE!

I had this also. It's gone now. With all due respect to western medicine, my cure came with a liver cleanse. I have never followed homopatheic medicine, never took herbs, and never took vitamins. I thought they were a huge waste of time, and possibly dangerous. I was very skeptical of anyone who discussed this stuff. Then came my gallbladder attack.

Two ultrasounds later, there are no stones, but a fatty liver. My doctor had me scheduled for an MRI, which also showed nothing except a cyst on my liver. I was in such pain, my stomach was bloated, and I felt toxic all the time. I'm 50, and I thought that I was pretty much done with my life. I even, stupidly, took a pregnancy test because those flutters felt like when I was pregnant! My husband thought I was crazy, but was damn nervous during that test...of course it was negative.

Then my friend, who is an OB/GYN, and into holistic medicine turned me onto Dr. Hulda Clarks site. I took the liver cleanse there, and amazingly enough, I improved immediately! I lost over 500 stones on my first try, 1000 stones on my second....it's absolutely amazing! I feel 25 years old. And to top that off I decided to do a parsite cleanse, and when I did that, the fluttering totally stopped. I got that from DrNatura for a product called Colonix. There is no bad feedback anywhere for this product, and it has done wonders for me. I have lost 45 pounds, my blood pressure is way down, and I no longer feel like my stomach is an alien being attached to me.

Now, I know all of you are on a traditional medical website, and I completely understand if you feel relunctant to look into this, but just do a little research. I'm so glad I did. My life is so much better, and I didn't have to lose my gallbladder to do it.

Good luck to all of you.

Ann
This indeed is a popular complaint.  I have had the same thing for years.  Pain under my right rib that sometimes extends into my back.  It got especially bad about 5 years ago and, since I was sick at the same time, the doctor took my gallbladder out.  I wasn't sick after that but the pain gradually came back and it comes and goes with exercise.  Running is the worst for exacerbating it.  Just this past week I went to the doctor to mention it again and he sent me for a rib x-ray.  Turns out I have "subtle changes" of the 9th and 10th ribs as if I may have fractured them at some point?  Wouldn't you think I would know if I had fractured my ribs???  Because there is no obvious injury recently or in the past my doc is sending me for a bone scan.  I don't think he necessarily expects to find anything "bad" but it's just to try to put a little more light on the subject.  Sometimes my entire right side rib cage area just feels achy/tight and sometimes it's just in the front, sometimes it's just in the back and sometimes it's the entire area.  It's annoying.
I also have this right side pain problem that most of you are talking about in your posts. Mine is situated behind the rib cage and often the bottom ribs feel sore. The pain radiates to the back and sometimes feels like it generates heat in the back. Sometimes the center of the pain feels a little bit lower -- at about the mid-abdomen on the right side. It can be both dull or sharp. Sometimes I even feel pain much lower, just above the hip. Sometimes (I swear) I even feel it in my right shoulder or bicep of my right arm. I first noticed this situation two years ago and aggressively pursued a diagnosis with doctors. I had ultrasound and an endoscopy, as well as a series of blood tests. All came back negative for anything serious. The diagnosis at the time was Irritible Bowel Syndrome, something I didn't agree with, but could prove otherwise. It went away for many months, but has now come back and most days my side hurts. My question is what should I do now? The pattern of pain doesn't seem to correspond to eating, slipping or sitting habits. There doesn't seem to be a correlation between the pain and bowel habits -- though I do hear a gurgling in my intestine that tells me something might be going on in there.  I am beginning to think it's referred pain coming from my head ...
my email address is ***@****. Please write if you have experienced something similar. Thanks
I forgot to add that I am a 45-year-old male and in generally good physical shape. I have never had a serious health problem and aside from the side pain, I feel good. Mark
I too have very similar symptoms, and right now I am in a lot of pain.  I have a high tolerance for pain too, but this is a bit over the top.  I called my Gastro doctor, as I am scheduled for an upper endoscopy on the 21st (due to Acid Reflux) issues, but I am concerned about this SHARP pain. The doctor is recommending an unltrsound of the gall bladder at this point, but I know I had one of those already for the same issue, and nothing was found.  I'd hate to go through another ultrasound, as I am guessing the same results will be found as the pain is the same.  
Anyone have another recommendation that I can request from the doctor?  I am wondering about the other enteries I have been reading about the gall bladder not putting out enougg of something (can't remember the term though), which could be the culprit for similar symptoms.  Any specific test to request for that?
I am not looking forward to my Upper Enoscopy either, as I have never been under anesthesia (not even sure of the correct spelling).  
Right now, my stomach feels bloated too, and not too long after I unzipped my pants (stretchy ones as well), the pain seemed to subside a bit, but the lower abdomen blew up a bit, like I have a lot of gas that can't seem to escape.  
Any suggestions?
Concerned, and in pain.
Thank god, I was sure I was the only one. Some how these mysterious things seems less scary when you know there are other people. I basically have all the same symptoms as everyone here. Dull pain under my right rib cage, but in a way it feels like it is on top of my rib cage sometimes. I also have a dull pain in my lower right abdomen sometimes too. But i was diagnosed with ovarian cysts a long time ago. Anyways, yesterday I went to the Dr. and she ordered blood tests for my liver and anemia, (because I also have some tingling on my left cheek.) and an ultrasound for next week. I was told if there was a problem with my blood test they would call today, and if there wasn't they would call next Monday. So now I praying the phone doesn't ring. I had a friend die not to long ago from liver disease, and she was only 28 at the time. I am 30 and I drink almost daily, but not excessive. Just a glass of wine or a couple beer's. Anyways lately it has been a lot less, and actually i do feel a little better. Again I'm so glad to have found this site I feel a little better not being alone. and after all my tests are done I think I do the cleanses mentioned in an earlier post.
Hi I have read your comments and I am sorry that you all are having pain.  I also am having discomfort / pain behind the right rib area.  Yesterday I went through a series of test including CT, Ultrasound and X-ray. They also grew a culture to test my kidney and drew blood. I have had to hold my breath to turn over in bed.

Before I tell you my results I want to say that 2 weeks ago I had a colonoscopy and they did find a large polyp which was removed.  I have had a history of IBS so this procedure had been ordered.  I am a 40 yr old woman.  Ever since the colonoscopy I have had this pain.  

They found a gall stone and 2 ovarian sists but nothing that would cause this current pain and I felt a bit like I was overreacting because I am not one who frequents the doctors office.  

However, I have had 2 large bowel movements and it has made such a difference.. Do you think things are different in there now that that large polyp is gone?

I am thinking that as long as nothing is wrong internally I am just going to get on which my excercise routine and if the pain comes back I am just going to see if taking off some weight and treating my body better will help. Let me know what you think.

I am so glad to have found this posting.  I have been suffering on and off for 4 years with pain behind and just to the bottom of my ribs...so sore that I feel as though I've been hit with a bat at times.  I just went through the tests for a kidney infection...negative.  I'm now getting ready to go have an ultrasound to check my liver and gallbladder.  I'm over 100 lbs. overweight and according to my doctor - fat people have fat livers.  My bone structure is small so my concern is that my ribs are actually poking my liver...but that doesn't explain the tenderness on the outside of my ribs.  I had the same pain in my chest area 12 years ago and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia (I was raised by a hypochondriact sp???) so I don't quite belive in fibromyalgia since it is a diagnosis of exclusion (please don't write hate mail!!!!)  Maybe if all the tests come back negative, it is fibromyalgia.  My pain is back after being gone for 2 years.  I'm am under an ungodly amount of stress, anger and fear.  They say fibromyalgia is trigerred by those things....I'll post after my tests.    I look forward to any ideas anyone has to manage the discomfort in the meantime.
I'm following up to my post after my ultrasound on my gallbladder, kidney & liver.  Test was normal.  At this point doctor is saying due to the extreme stress I'm under - my fibromyalgia has reappeared.  I'm happy it is nothing serious but I don't understand firbomyalgia....I have more researh to do.  Best of luck to you all.
I have been searching for a reason for my rib pain. Mine is located in the bottom left ribs in the back. The pain came and went. for about 3 years. Now it is constant and it is a deep pain. I had an x-ray and it was normal. My arthritis doctor referred me back to my family doctor, he wanted to do an ultrasound. That was this time last year and I did not do it because I felt it a waste of time. I am thinking i am going to have to go back and see what else he can order. The pain is constant and worrisome. I just want some relief.
I came across this site to try and find out what is going on with the pain I have had for a week straight. Many of you have the same symtoms (symptoms): Feels like a stitch only higher, bruised feeling and trouble turning over while sleeping. Along with those I can't seem to take a good deep breath and also my pain is on the left side under the breast. I haven't called the dr yet. What is on our left sides?

I have pain beginning at about a thumb's length from my right hipbone and radiating out laterally about a hand's length both ways.  The pain is not constant, but when I do have it it alternates between stabbing pain and a dull ache.  My GP says it's not my gall bladder, that I've sprained my 11th right rib.
This just doesn't feel right.  I haven't had any tests done yet -I thought I'd see if the 'rib pain' went away - it hasn't.  2o years ago I had the same pain and was told it was my gall bladder - I have no idea what made it stop then.  

I had a hysterectomy 9 years ago.  My question is: Could the hysterectomy have let other organs move from where where they are supposed to reside which is why my GP isn't picking it up as gall bladder?
I have been plagued by the same pain that everyone is suffering with here for 2 years now! it started as a pain in my right top abdomen waking me up in my sleep, that would go. soon it was in my right back rib (with tender spots of localised pain) and in my side right rib and in my front rib. since then it also pains me in my sternum and sometimes throught to my back! it has no link with eating or not. I have had an endoscopy which was normal no ulcers and no red lining of the stomach. I had an ultrasound of my kidneys, liver, pancreas, gallbladder and spleen and all of these were normal! also many bloodtests all normal. Also I had an ultrasound of my womb and ovaries last year with a CA125 blood test - normal! Plus I have had an MRI of my cervical and thoracic spine, which showed minor wear and tear but nothing significant to cause this pain. And I had a chest Xray last year - normal!!! what is causing my pain - my quest goes on - I feel it is getting worse and I am exhausted by it! 2 weeks ago I had a CT scan of my abdomen and all was normal except they found a 4cm cyst on my right kidney, which was there 20 months ago at my ultrasound - shame no one thought to tell me then!!! this apparently is normal!! Anyone getting the new 'buzz' word here? NORMAL how can it be normal but I am in so much pain!!!!!!????????? I also now am getting dizzy spells, bouncing vision, facial stiffness, weak feeling in my left arm which I also have frozen shoulder pain and my left leg feels weak to walk on sometimes AND I had a patch of prickling sensation on my left arm by my elbow (gone now)! I am to have an MRI of my brain if they can find it plus 10 more blood tests and evoke potentials test to check my muscle and nerve pathways etc.

If I say 'top that!' has anyone got any sugestions or comments, I am frightened as to what they are going to find - I only hope it is 'normal' but if it is then I am NOT normal as no one should have all this pain and be normal!!!! if you see what i mean - I am worrying that it is MS - but the neurologist I saw last night didn't think it was!?

I empathise with all of you and this 'Mystery' normal? pain!!!
regards - Ann with pain!
I forgot to add that I am also getting muscle twitches in my right eye, and throughout my body - including my midriff!!
Do you have any comments to make? I would be grateful for your input - Ann
What else have you learned? Anymore test results?

I'm a 38 year old female who cant toss or turn over in bed from the pain under my right rib cage and across my right bicep.  Weird, they go hand & hand.  It's brutal and it occurs mostly during the middle of the night and in the morning.  It doesn't effect me during the day with movement, although it is tender to the touch.

I do have fibromyalgia so I prograstinate Dr visits till I'm bleeding for Pete's sake!  Because test results come back "normal" it's like throwing money down the drain and the "You're nuts, Lady" digs I can do without.  Quite honestly the thought of even just an ultrasound on that area would put me trough the roof with pain.  Fibro pain usually radiates, oddly this is a specifc isolated area and is has been pestering me for weeks. (very slight swelling but feels like a golfball under the rib and and a vice-grip on the bicep)

My mother had a diseased gallbladder with stones that had to be removed and non-alcohol induced cirrosis (cirrhosis).  For me unfortunately, LOL eating has not been a problem. (oink)

Anyone, anyone?
I too am having the same problems (28yr old male), pain under lower right rib, when I stretch, and walk/run. It is not keeping me awake as yet but is pretty much constantly there in one form or another. I know this might sound strange, but when I breathe in and I feel the last of my ribs, they seem to be in more than the rest and is almost like this feels like its rubbing off my liver?

Have also been for ultrasound and bloods but found nothing? I do have protein in urine though. I will be going back to doctor now again.
I just happened upon your message board while looking for something else -- HOWEVER, I have experienced just the same symptoms most of you have had -- including the hives at night. After seeing several doctors and taking countless tests (all NORMAL), I finally was referred by a friend in the health care field to a wise, down to earth family practioner who got it in one. All my symptoms could be attributed to the enormous stress I was under. She asked if they disappeared when I was with friends and having fun. My answer, Yes. How about when you've taken an Ativan for extreme stress? My answer, Absolutely gone.
She put me on low dose Paxil (something my original gastorenterologist had recommended) and except for some very occasional breakthrough pain when I'm super stressed, the multitude of aches and pains have gone away.

Just a thought, guys.

Just a thought, guys.
Well I can report back now as I have had all of my tests including a Brain MRI, an EMG, SSEP, VER and Evoke potential tests, alongside numerous blood tests - all NORMAL!!

A technician doing my tests - noticed that I was chronically hyperventillating!! This he told me can change your body's chemistry giving symptoms of numbness, muscles twitches, aches,weakness, dizziness, tremors and can also affect your organs!!! My wonky eyes are possibly die to a weakness in my optic nerve altho' it looked fine on the MRI. As for my - no diagnosis - well there is a surprise!!

My pains too seemed to disapear when I was 'occupied' or instead of Activan or Paxil - I endulged in a few lagers or two, my pains went too!! Only to be back when I was aware of them once again!

However the stress of worrying what my pain is has caused my other symptoms and now that I am practising normal breathing, they have gone!

My pain is much less prevelant, and my acid indigestion, therefore I have come to the conclusion that it must all have been STRESS!!

So I am now getting on with life and 'living' again and it feels great!!!

To most of you here - take heart and persevere - because most of your symptoms were the same as mine

Good Luck - and I think the word is 'Chill'!!

Annwithpain
I to have lower right rib discomfort. I'm 35 and had no medic illnesses ever. I had 2 realy bad muscle cramps right under my rib cage back in Dec 05. After that I started having realy bad constipation, bloating and bouts of diarrhea. I went to the doctor and had a standard phyiscal and blood work, everything came back normal.I to had realy bad stress this year. I do drink beer but don't feel any differant when i do or don't. I did stop drinking for a couple of weeks but there was no change in my discomfort.When I sit for long periods of time it does agitate my side more then normal. Reading the other posts makes me wonder if we are all having the same problem. Hope everyone that posted before is feeling better!
I was searching online and came across your chat. I started running to lose weight couple months ago. This pain started like a month ago. I improved my running to 5 mile 1 hour nonstop running and was proud of myself. Then one day I was running and after 10min, exactly, because I measure it now, I had really sharp pain under my right rib so I had to stop. I went away after 10 min of walking slowly. I started running again. I monitor it every time I run. First, it looks like if I run in the morning on empty stomach, I might avoid pain, or it will come after 20 min of non stop running. So empty stomach makes a difference. It does not bother me when I am not running, but sometimes I can feel this strange pain a little bit. I started taking Milk Thirstle, which helps with liver problem. I cannot go to a doctor now because we do not have insurance and I am a full time student. I think this is liver, because it makes a difference if I had a meal or not. I lost weight but I really worry about doing any damage to my body, because I never had this problem before and it had started only after I started running.
Hi All,

For 4 years, on and off I have been suffering as well (and to some lesser degree, about 10+ years in hindsight). The symptoms come on stronger and last longer as I go further into life... Pain in sternum (endoscope showed nothing but some slight irritation, CT scan with contrast awhile back showed nothing relevant), pain in ribs (both left and right side), pain behind liver in back, radiates to shoulder blades, pain in arms, sometimes very bad in LEFT arm and overall feeling toxic...sometimes my fingers, hands and feet even get involved in the spastic, cramping feeling. Occassional nausea and bloating. I also get sciatic pain and lower back pain, and I even itch when the other stuff is really "active", especially on my back and abs near the gallbladder/liver area which from what I read can be bile build up related. I had a HIDA Scan with CCK last year...showed a sluggish gallbladder with low ejection factor. I saw a surgeon who thought it would be very beneficial to remove my gallbladder. Saw a gastroenteroligist for a second opinion who is a family friend that says he does not believe in the ejection factor diagnosis, thinks it is stress and fears I may be creating more problems by removing my gallbladder. Cancelled the surgery, rescheduled and cancelled again out of fear...have had accupuncture, chiropractic intervention, massage therapy, vitamin therapy, etc...sometimes it goes away for awhile but it always comes back. I had one doctor recommend B-12 and B-1 therapy along with digestive enzymes and it helped for a few months....actually thought I had the miracle cure. I have been checked for everything from gallbladder to kidney stones to ulcers, to arthritis to fibromyalgia. Bloodwork all normal, no stones on ultrasounds (3 of them), normal weight, active person....used to work out like a freak before this began to inhibit my lifestyle which is the worst part of all. I am pretty certain at this point that it is gallbladder/digestive related, but uncertain that removing it is the answer. I know of some folks who removed it and had temporary relief...but it came back. Anybody get any relief from any alternative methods? The thing is it does seem to be exaccerbated by stressful events. The Sphincter of Oddi (SOD) syndrome is also a concern...if I remove my gallbladder, it may still be a problem and the SOD syndrome requires more delicate surgery which has a high incidence of pancreatitis which is life threatening. Has anyone with these symptoms ever had an abdominal surgery? I had a c-section in 1992 and an inguinal hernia repaired on lower right side in 1995...have not been the same since...am also wondering about scar tissue that may have grown into my liver/gallbladder area. 44 year old, otherwise healthy woman with 2 kids and a happy marriage. Thanks for listening!
Thanks goodness I found this site.  I have had the same pain and symptoms and have been freaking out thinking I'm the only one going through this.  I have had every type of test, proving negative and I've been feeling helpless and depressed, crying on an every day basis and thiking I have something terminal.  I am 39 years old and have smoked since the age of 18.  I have been seriously thinking about lung cancer, however, had a chest x-ray last year and it came out clear.  I also had the CT scan of the abdomen and the only thing that came out was a cyst in my ovary, and a peptic ulder in my esophagus.  I also have an impingement in my rotator cuff as well as a downward slope in my chromium, which may be contributing to the pain, however, I have still been thinking of the cancer.  Reading the symptoms everyone here is presenting gives me a more skeptical outlook and some hope, and has helped calm my anxiety in a very minimal manner, but at least in some way.  I have another chest x-ray scheduled for this weekend and am hoping for the best, although of course you must always prepare for the worse.  The pain I get is a dull, sometimes sharp pain underneath my right rib cage, mostly accompanied by a sore to the touch feeling, similar to a bruise, and sometimes extending to my back.  Has anyone found a way to relieve the pain at least a bit?  I would apprecite any responses and or advice anyone could provide.  Good luck to you all; feel better and many blessings from God.
For the last week I have a very sharp pain under my right arm on my rib cage and towards my upper back.  I cannot turn over in the bed or make certain moves without a holler coming out of me.  It sometimes even hurts to reach for something with my right arm.  I am a little short of breath also.  I have been having pain in my left upper arm and my left hand goes to sleep while I am using it.  I was thinking maybe pluerisy as I have had this before and it does feel better if I lay on my right side.  It is not getting better and I have wondered if maybe it could be my liver. I have already had my gallbladder out years ago.  What else could it be?  I am a 50 year old obese female.  I do have right-sided heart failure.  Could this be getting worse?  I would appreciate all thoughts on this.
So far I have had about five attacks.  Sometimes it is several months between them.  I always awake from a deep sleep usually somewhere around 2am or 3am with a sharp stabbing pain in my rib area on my back right side.  It hurts so bad, I have to get up out of bed and walk around.  It feels like gas and then I start burping and that seems to help but it's not enough, the pain keeps radiating lower into the front of my abdomen and then upward in the pit of my stomach below the breatbone, it burns, and then moves upward behind the breastbone.  Then it gets behind my right shoulder blade and hurts all over my back again and it feels like I've been hit with a baseball bat.  It feels bruised and achy.  This morning's attack was the worst so far.  I felt like I would vomit and it lasted more than six hours.  I am too scared to go to the doctor.  It sounds like you all have been run through the mill for nothing.  I am not going to pay for a doctor to experiment on me.  I fear that letting them do anything to me would open me up for more problems. However, I don't know if I can take this over and over.  I am overweight, so I suspect that has a lot to do with it.  And since it doesn't happen every night and it goes away on its own, I believe there must be something I can do to cure it myself without surgery or expensive tests.  I hope so anyway.  Please email me if you find anything that works.  foreveramermaid@whale-mail.com
I have the same pain! I have been experiencing some right rib cage pain for about 4 months now. I first noticed the pain when I was jumping up and down on a mini trampoline for an aerobics class. I felt a sharp pain underneath my right ribs, just above my hip bone. The pain throbbed on my right flank for a day or so but went away. A week later, I noticed the pain again during a step class. I was jogging in place and again felt that right rib/flank pain. The pain has stayed with me ever since. It's a dull ache that I feel constantly. It has spread throughout my right rib cage, to my lower back. The muscles in my back seem to spasm now, which makes the pain worse. It spasms up the right side of my spine. It hurts worse when I'm sitting, and leaning back, and it also hurts worse when I'm exercising. I cannot exercise at all now. Even walking aggrivates it. It's hard to get comfortable when sitting down because it feels like someone is poking at my rib cage. When I wake up in the morning, the pain is gone. But within the first 5 minutes of walking around in the morning, and sitting down to eat breakfast, the pain starts, and gets worse throughout the day. What I eat does not affect it. I have also noticed a small lump on the end of my first floating rib. It doesn't hurt to push on it directly, but after pushing on it and poking at it, the pain gets worse and starts to throb. I'm wondering if the pain is generating from that? I've been to several different doctors, all of which cannot make a diagnosis. I've had numerous blood tests which have all come back normal. I've had 2 XRAYS, a bone scan, an MRI of my T spine, an untra sound of my abdomen, 2 cat scans of my abdomen (one with dye, one without) an unltrasound of my heart. I've also had a rectal exam and a brief pelvic exam. All tests were normal. Since none of the doctors I've seen are able to help me, I've been trying to diagnose myself. I've googled slipping rib syndrome, which has a lot of my symptoms. And I've also googled costochondritis. However, with that condition, one of the main symptoms is tightness in the chest, and I do not have any chest pain. But, this could also be due to the fact that the lump on my rib is on the lower floating ribs, toward my right flank, and not on the ribs that are connected to the sternum... I am now noticing pressure feeling on the other side, just below the left rib cage. I don't know what this is! If anybody finds a diagnosis, please, email me: kristymay_c***@****
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, I really need some inpit...  About 7 years ago, while pregant, I had MAJOR chest pains directly under my sternum.  At doctor ordered bed rest for early labor problems, I was supposed to be laying down to stop contractions, but had to sit up due to reflux, and horrid chest pains.  Speed ahead to today.  Now for the last 7 years I have had pain, for the last 5 years, it has been constant.  I have had 5 EGD's with no change, a PH study, a heart work up, a lung work up, a chest xray, a sonogram of the area, and have seen 4 different GI doctors, left a GP doctor very sad that he could not think of anything else to try, except the Mayo clinic.  I have now gone to an internist, who is brilliant, but this is a hard one for him too.  He thinks it might be CREST?  Since October, on top of the chest pain radiating all the way through to my back, there were 4 times I fell down for tripping over nothing, got an infection on one knee.  After this, both feet and ankles swelled up as I had gained 30lbs of water weight in a matter of a few days.  Got on water pills to get water off, became dependent on them for 2 months. Ptassium fell really low, got very weak on ptasium pills, around Christmas.  I take 80 mg of Zegerid a day.  In February, I had appendicitus, and then 3 weeks later had my gall blader out.  Wait until about now to make a descision about the pain that is still here, and only leaves if I eat nothing at all.  No drink, no food of any kind, if I do I am in pain. I have the worse pain in the am, but really gets bad after eating any type of fat.  I think it may be pancreatitus (pancreatitis), but blood levels do not show that.  any ideas, please respond.  Thanks for your attention.  MKK
Hey im 16 years old, and after going to a drinking party 2 nights ago and getting drunk i woke up the next morning with pains under my right rib. Along with this sharp pain i have been coughing up little peices of flubber looking things. im sure its not just food, it looks pink kinda like the outer coating of someones organs. i was wondering if anyone could help me identify this problem. thanks peace!
I just want to say, we need to figure out what the hell this is.

My pain is directly beneath my lowest right rib. It started about a week ago. The day I noticed it, I worked out at the gym and afterwards I didn't think I would be able to walk the pain was so sharp. It was like a stabbing sensation that shot straight up from underneath my lowest right rib, to the top of my shoulder. I couldn't breath without it hurting, and I couldn't move. The pain wasn't that extreme for long though. (otherwise I would have been dragging my un-insured butt to the er) However, the pain is still there. It seems to get better if I drink a lot of water. It still hurts worse at night, and is uncomfortable for me to turn either way in my bed. It seems to come and go. I can always feel it if I suck in my breath deeply, but sometimes it's there with just a small movement. I have been dieting, but only with portion control and lean cuisines, nothing unhealthy (or so I assumed). I've never been great with my water intake until lately. I could have been really dehydrated. I do drink pretty regularly, I'm only 23 though so I was hoping to stop before I saw the consequences of my actions. Hopefully it's not related. I've been feeling anxious during the days because of this, even more than normal. I wasn't working out the first time it started hurting which was about a week ago. I'm nervous now that it's never going to go away after reading these posts. It sure has lingered long enough as is. Please, if anyone has any feedback to this comment personally, contact me at ***@****

Things I have learned online:
It could be a sprained muscle
It could be my gallblatter
It could be a gallstone
It could be mental
I could try taking a liver cleanser
Going to the docter doesn't seem to help
I forgot to mention I am NOT overweight. (I just noticed some others were including this information)
I am experiencing the same exact pain below right should.  It started after the treadmill for a couple miles and I am thinking it could be the gall bladder but after reading your posts -I don't know.  Does anyone else have a headache too?  The pain tends to move to the front of my ribs and not just the back, upper right.  We gotta figure out what this is - I am a normal weight 27 year old male.
My pain is mostly in my right ribcage and the pain (mothers) kinda feels like when pregnant how the baby used to knot up right under the ribs except at times is so severe I cannot turn over in bed. About a week ago it got so bad it hurt to move my right arm and so I could not take it any longer and went to the ER. As with the rest of you, they did blood tests and a CT-scan with dye through the I.V.  You guessed it, the doctor said the blood workup was normal.  The doctor said the scan showed no cancer,pancrititus,liver abnormalties or anything else wrong. I had told him that it felt kinda like pleurisy that I had a few years ago and so now he tells me, I guess it must be pleurisy.  Gee, should I send myself the bill?  He is only guessing at that.  Pleurisy was not diagnosed this time.  I was given a pain shot and told to rest.  I guess we all just have vivid imaginations.  You think?  Let me know what anyone else finds out.  My pain still comes and goes and is worse sometimes than others.
everyone this can't be real.

I too just started having the exact same pains beneath my right rib.

I went drinking with a friend of mine. got home early, woke up around 1am with a terrible pain in my right sideunder the rib cage.it hurt to breath ,hurt to roll around in bed, went to er , that was a waste of time. 2 days later I went to a urgent care, had a urine test, everything normal, listened to my organs,normal. she recommend a cat scan with dye, so i had one on the upper chest and lower abdomanal area, came back normal ,gal bladder, liver,pancrease,etc ,except a small node in my abdominal area.

the liver rubbing against rib cage sounds like something. but how in 2 hours does my liver just grow that big.stress, I could see that affecting everyone.

. I was fine going to sleep, then 2 hours later its there.wtf??

what is everyone drinking

that night I drank 4 corona's
1 shot of yeager
1 shooter of cream sickle.

and some food

I have been shooting
petron silver recently about a week before.

oh I'm a 31 year old male...

Thank goodness.  I've been experiencing waking at night and screaming out now for approx. 4 weeks.  Last rib on right moving left to sternum.  And it DOES feel badly bruised! One night is good, the next terrible.  Mon of this week - bad Tues - no prob Wed - cried out at 3:00...this morn (Sat.) woke at 6:00 and almost went to ER.  Called my dad about AReflux...nope!  THEN, my mom called me back and said that she'd been exp this for YEARS...and that she has cysts on her liver. Hubby says it might be arthritis sooo I'm taking Lodine until I can see MY wonderful (really) Doc June 26th. I'll be 45 June 27th, weigh 115 lbs...pilates, yoga, running, walking, lite weight training...I AM 'religious' about my workouts.  So, this is VERY frustrating to me...i'm ALREADY doing everything right! I take vitamins and extra fiber, eat whole grains, wear sunscreen even if i'm staying in the house, and etc. etc.  I'm too vain for this &:^)!  From all the recent postings, it looks like the most promising one is from Ann k. (2/26/06) liver cleansing, but I surely don't need to lose weight (my mother nags me enough) One thing that I'm concerned about is that all my grandparents dropped dead of heart attacks...65, 55, and 48!! I guess I'll need to ck that out:^(...From the combined posting, looks like there's quite a few of us and very little answers...Funny, it usually doesn't hurt so much during the day...it that not weird???
What if we tried this:
- no drinking
- reduce fatty foods, spicy foods, nuts and seeds
- increase water intake
- try a macrobiotic diet, whole grains, fruits and vegetables
- if vigorous exercise hurts, do something more mellow. if you don't exercise, start, and do what you can
- yoga or meditation or anything relaxing for at least 10 minutes a day

it seems like the problems come from:
- diet (including alcohol)
- obesity
- long-term digestive problems like IBS, ulcers
- stress
- stress
- stress

I think a lot of us know how to take better care of ourselves and we just choose not to. I'd definitely be guilty of that. I do find that when I do yoga, stop drinking, eat well (but not too much), I generally feel ok. The lower right-side pains come on in times of stress, drinking, and physical over-exertion.

Maybe it's easier to be well than some of us think? I realize many have serious long-term health problems, and are worried. I wonder how much our worrying contributes to elusive wellness.

Just thoughts. I don't mean to oversimplify. I just think that if we're honest with ourselves, we're not doing everything we can to get well. I know that's true for me.

Blessings and good health to all,
Aleria
Add me to the list.

Right side pain under ribs. Had my gallbladder out and it DID NOT HELP! I wasn't surprised cause all tests were NORMAL! I was way overweight when this started and REALLY stressed with my job. Now I have a lower stressed lifestyle but the pain is still there, I have lost ALOT of weight and the pain is still there. My wife has a good job and is making good money and we just bought a nice house and I am Mr. Mom. Less stress but we don't have insurance so I can't afford more tests that will show nothing. I already had ultrasound, Hida, CAT, upper endoscopy, liver panel, etc, ALL NORMAL! Then had gallbladder out with no help. I have also tried the liver cleanse by Hulda Clark and even saw a Natural Doctor that is a follower of Hulda Clark, sorry to say, no help.

Lets figure this out together. Maybe we can start a support group.

What has helped me,

Eating smaller amounts(my digestive system seems to work slowly and backs up and causes the symptoms to worsen.)

Meditation(anything that takes your mind off the pain, stress makes everything worse, and causes constipation.)

Keep physically active(It has been hard to do cause IT HURTS! But what difference does it make? You hurt either way. Physical activity keeps my bowels moving and this helps a little.)

Eat high fibre diet(Stay away from toxic food, anything processed. It is hard but we must trudge through this illness or condition.)

Don't give up!(Some days I feel like it's the end for me, it is that bad. At least we are not alone, we have found each other here.)

Call me! If anyone wants to talk more about these conditions my name and number is Ricky 601-657-4587. If you want to call me I will take your name and phone number and keep you updated when any of us has good news about their condition or finds out new info. Lets lift each other out of this dark place we have found ourselves in.
I too have similar pains.  Noticed originally last October and it went away.  Came back in early April and seemed to start with constipation and abdominal discomfort.  Then led to pain under the ribs on the right side.  This pain is much worse at night when I sleep and turn over the wrong way.  Hurts many times when I twist toward the right and bend over toward the right.  Was scared all was related.  My doctor performed HIDA scan (gall bladder) and abdominal ultrasound last October and everything looked fine.  Blood test revealed slightly elevated liver function, but nothing too high.  Am concerned now about colon and other liver disorders (as well as others).  My doc seem to think the rib pain is muscular and related to my diaphragm and the intestinal issues as stress related or perhaps IBS.  I am on Wellbutrin now and Xanax.  The Xanax seems to ease the worry and relaxes me to understand this may not be fatal.  I do worry way too much and am under alot of stress.
Mickey.

You are not alone, I am in the same boat. Have not heard of the diaphram possibility before but have thought about that myself. I have no insurance and have a hard time getting the help I need. If you get any results please, please share with the rest of us. ***@****
I too can be added to the list of people who have been dealing with pains on both sides on the ribs. I have had these pains since Oct. 2005. About a year ago I thought I was having a heart attack, I had a pain in the middle of my chest that went straight thru my body to my back. I went to the emergency room and after a four hours and some tests a heart attack was ruled out. I went to the hospital two more times between July and Sept 2005 with chest pains. Both times a heart attack was ruled out. Most of my pain since last October has been on the rib cage on both sides and on my sides and back. I have had MRI's, CT's, exrays, nerve tests, blood tests, a stress test, a endoscope, a colonoscopy, and dozens of doctor visits. Every test has come up with normal results yet to this day I am dealing with this pain. I sleep only 4-5 hours a night and most of my sleeping is done in a recliner, when I sleep in bed I wake up with extreme pain on either side that I sleep on. The pain is on my rib cage but it is on my side. The pain that I experience during the day time is mostly on my lower ribs on both sides.I have also had dizzy spells, arm pain, hip pain, leg pain, adominal (abdominal) pain and pains in my groin area. I think the only day in the last 8 months that I woke up with out rib pain was the morning after reading all of everyones comments on how so many of you suffer from the same pain and no one has found out what is causing the pain. Besides pain being what we have in common is the fustration of not getting better. I need to add a few names in my prayers now, knowing Im not alone with problem.
Hi my pain started in jan 06 with a pain under my righr rib I went to my doctors and he said it was a pulled musscle, WELL after a month I went back and said that I was still getting the pain but now I was also having nausea heartburn stomach pain and pain on both sides of my ribs, I had a scan on my gallbladder and that come back normal.My pain can be so bad that i cry it been with me everyday for 5 months now it like its at the front and the back oof my ribs.IT SEEMS TO BE MORE AT THE BACK WHEN I WAKE UP IN THE MORNING AND IN THE DAY TIME IT AT THE FRONT AND THE BACK??? Ihave been to A&E3 times they do nothing,I have so many health problems going on I have a underactive thyroid, I have had a blood test that has come back with a high level of prolactin over (1000) this could be a tumor on the brain!! but all the doctors i see do not what to know about thie rib pain i say rib pain but it not on my ribs near my ribs whats goig on help.....Mandy
Well I dont know if u all got better?
I am having severe pain in right muscle/ribs over liver area and around under bust and rount to back under shoulder blade. I thought I was starting with shingles, however I AM bruised around there and I have no explaination for it! The bruising is going using Arnica, the pain is JUST controlled with paracetemol. I am itching over the area terribly and the pain then seems to radiate around from where I touch. IT IS DRIVING ME MAD, I CANNOT SLEEP, I AM EXHAUSTED (I am a long time CFS sufferer too). I suffer with anxiety sometimes and hyperventilation (because of overcompensating for my asthma) so I see I have some things in common with some of you who have posted.
Did anyone get any relief?
luv
Whitters
A related discussion, Under Rib Pain was started.
A related discussion, Sharp pain under right rib was started.
A related discussion, Lower Right Rib Cage Pain was started.
A related discussion, pain under right rib was started.
I have all these problems that every has mentioned EXCEPT I ALSO have a small but chronic clearing of the throat sometimes I have to cough and all the coughs usually produce a very small amount of phlegm. Anyone with all of the symptoms on this blog PLUS a phlegm producing cough?
A related discussion, help! was started.
I also have this pain, I am 28 a mom of three boys, My pain started while I was pregnent My right side looks swollen all the time, I'm in so much pain 70% of the time I can barely move! The pain is becoming more and more crippling, I have had hidascans, mri's, bloodwork,tests, tests, and more tests, It feels like it's under the skin, I wish ONE doctor would just realize, I don't want the pain meds, I want to go through ONE day without crying from the pain, one full night of sleep! It has been 9 years, I have also seen a shrink, tried cymbalta, and prozac, lexapro, and paxil, My life is good I don't need attention from dr's, I wish somebody would explore, think outside the box!!! And Now I'm Losing my insurance, so all the meds I am on for this pain and the 7 herniated discs, and osteoperosis I will be losing those! Maybe my family is bettter off if I just try to ignore it all and if it gets the best of me whatever! I'm exhausted!