Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain at base of Tailbone

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain at base of Tailbone

I am a 23 year old male vegetarian with good eating habits.  I have had many symptoms of IBS: bowel movements right after I eat, ever since I can remember.  Sometimes I have diahreha for days but sometimes it feels like i have diahreha but when I actaully go to the bathroom I will have small, and more recently flat stools, sometimes hard and sometimes the stool is soft.  But the color is always a light brown. Also, some times my stool shape is normal, its very off and on, but my episodes usually last a couple weeks. However, I have never seen any sign of blood.  Also more recently and seemingly cooinciding with the flat stool is a dull pain that feels like its at the base of my tailbone, but the sensation is certainly heightened when I am passing gas.  Also when I go to the bathroom, if I have to push to empty my stool it hurts in that spot.  The pain in my tailbone is more noticable when i am sitting.  

My Grandfather died of colon cancer in his 60's so naturaly that is a concern of mine, but in my searches over the internet I have not found one case where a person with the same pain that I am having in my tailbone associates it with bowl movements.  My concern is, some sort of tumor in my colon causing this pressure.  I do not have insurance and a colonoscopy costs around $1200 and I know you will say that I should get one just to be sure but I would really appreciate you thoughts.  Does it sound like i am just suffering from IBS, have you ever heard of similiar symptoms and should this pain I am feeling be cause for real concern.
Colon cancer would be extremely unlikely in someone your age.  If this continues to be a concern, you can consider a less-expensive flexible sigmoiodoscopy, which is less comprehensive than a colonoscopy.  With changes in your stool shape, this may be considered.  

Musculoskeletal causes, such as a bruise or muscle strain, may be possible.  Infectious causes, such as a cyst or abscess, can also cause irritation and discomfort in that area.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
I had a child 4 years ago and had the same pain you're experiencing.  The problem was the coccyx bone, the tailbone, was inflamed.  800 mg of ibuprogen every six hours for two weeks finally took care of the problem...
colonoscopy at your age would practically never be recommended. Colon cancer is nearly unheard of, unless you have a familial form of polyposis, which is a condition that would have to be known in your family. You could have an inflamed tailbone; you could also have a pilonidal cyst. Neither would be responsible for your bowel symptoms, however.
Thank you everyone for your input.  That makes me feel a bit less concerned.  I will just wait a few more weeks and see if anything changes.  I really appreciate all the input.

thanks
Just wanted to let you know that I recently had the same pain in my back before bowel movement. after a couple fo weeks I started bleeding from hemorrhoids.  Now the hemorrhoids I have had before but not the pain in the back.  When I went to the Dr. he told that my insides were very inflammed.  He gave me a medication cream for hemorrhoids that helped with the inflammation also.  It took the pain away.  The exam he preformed was done in the office.  Just a thought! Good Luck!  TC
I am 17 years old. I have a lump at the base of my tailbone, right between my crack. At first there was little to no pain and the occasional puss leakage. Now I have pain all the time and it leaks a brown substance along with blood and a clear liquid. I am very concerned with this. It hurts to the touch and has been really bad for about 3 weeks now. It shows no signs of stopping. The only treatment I have tried is to squeeze the liquids out but it does not work. It is contiuoualy leaking and it hurts to touch. Please help me!