Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Passing blood

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Passing blood
For the past week or so, my boyfriend has been passing blood when he uses the restroom.  He had digestive problems as a child, but it hasn't bothered him for about 15 years or more.  I'm concered as to what this could mean.  I know it's serious, but I don't know how serious. Could anyone help me??
It could be an internal hemorrhoid, colitis, or something else. It's not necessarily something terribly serious, but it should be checked out if it doesn't subside. There are lots of threads on this forum dealing with this subject, so you can see it's a fairly common problem.
is the blood red??  its probably nothing.  how old is he??  if the blood is bright red then it is more then likely hemmorhoids, or a fissure.  is the blood mixed through the stool, or on the toilet paper afterwards.  if its mixed in the stool, that is more cause for concern because that means he's bleeding up further then a hemmorhoids would show.