Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Poor gallbladder function, chronic acalculous cholecystitis

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have 1% ejection (function) of my gallbladder on hida-scan and am becomming symptomatic with chestpain, nausea, etc.  Has anyone tried the gb/liver flushes and other alternative approaches rather than surgical treatment?  I am doing the lowfat diet, lots of water, and a more vegetarian type diet and I feel better.  I just don't know if surgery is the way to go.  I had a endoscopy/colonscopy and don't have ulcers or any other things that might be of concern.  Also had a thalium stress test to rule out heart probs.  I also have very high (familiar type 4 hyperlipidemia) that has been treated with meds for 13 years.  I figure those statin meds aren't too good for the old gallbladder either.  Any input would be appreciated.
1 Comment
I was 38 when I developed chronic cholecystitis and I suffered with it for 2 years before it was properly diagnosed.  I'm assuming you don't have gallstones.  I didn't either. I developed severe chest pain and an irregular heartbeat.  I was put on atenelol to stabilize the palpitations. Who would have thought the gallbladder could affect the heart in such a way?  I did the liver flush just over a month ago.  I don't know if it would have helped my condition prior to my surgery this June. My gallbladder was already becoming herniated and at that stage it probably wouldn't have helped.  It was my experience that the flush was helpful with my digestion afterward, however I am still suffering the same painful condition in my URQ as before.  I don't have the palpitations anymore, and I don't take the medicine.  It is usually best to try alternative approaches before surgery, however, sometimes damage has been done that is irreversible.  I suppose it is an individual choice dependant on the severity of your condition.
A related discussion, Anyway to fix a poor working gallbladder? was started.