Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Post Cholecystectomy pain and swelling

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Post Cholecystectomy pain and swelling

Hi, I had an emergency Cholecystectomy no stones found, 3 weeks ago. I not only feel like I have broken ribs but feel like I have a grapefruit under my rib cage that swells up with movement. I also have back pain over the kidney area. The pain and swelling increase with any bending or lifting to the point it becomes very severe. I have a drawing pain under my belly button incision which has a very mild localized infection. I went to my GP today and had a UA done, no UTI. I am very reluctant to return to the surgeon as he not only made it clear that he did not view me as his paitent, he did not explain ANY THING to me, the longest I spoke to him was 3 min. and he was in a hurry to leave. At this point I don't even know when I can start transfering my qudraplegic husband via stand pivot again. I need to be able bodied and have a extreme amount of work to get done, I cannot afford to be in this kind of pain, If this is normal I will  just suck it up and live with it, but if its not I need to know where to go from here. Thank You!!
This can be post-operative pain after the procedure, but you may want to ensure there are no serious complications like a biliary duct leak.  

An ultrasound can be done to exclude this.

Otherwise, you need to go back to your surgeon to evaluate for any other symptoms related to the surgery.  Another opinion could be sought if the first surgeon is not helpful.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Dear Doctor

My mother had gall bladder removal on June 08 due to having stones. After that her pain reduced.  but now she is having diarrhea and having pain in the lower abdomen.  she is a diabetic.  If this is normal or she want to consult the surgeon who did the surgery.  she is eating spicy foods in irregular timings.  please help me.  thanking you

my email : divs_mail04***@****

Since I was about 6 yrs old I would get an itching in my rectum. My abdomen would swell periodically. Abdominal pain and indigestion would come and go. As I became a teen the same would come and go periodically. When I was a child Drs questioned endomestriosis. I was placed on birth control pills and remained on and off them for years - I stopped taking them apprx age 21. This seemed to have helped overall.

After adulthood (25), pain began coming back periodically with swelling accompanying every attack. Pain would subside as well as swelling. Attacks became more frequent with time. Swelling began to stay and rapid weight gain. Anemia pretty much all my life although periods not initially heavy.

Nausea, extreme sudden epigastric pain that now (years later and since gb removal) is not as sudden or severe, lower abdominal pain that ties into upper, occasional slightly elevated amylase, varix to distal sacrum?, lower back pain/tail bone pain, dizziness, lower abdominal pinching pain around ovaries

Fibroids, external hemorrhoid, fissure/fistula and gall bladder all removed within one year.

No one can tell me what is wrong. I used to think that it was in my head and the suggestions to take psychotropic meds did not help. I simply refuse to believe this anymore. I am not faking or making up this pain. I want so badly to be free from every pain that mt 36 year old body feels.
I too had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago and have not really had any pain but am still bloated and once in a while still have this nauseated feeling. Will by bloatedness go down and/or what can I do to help it go down? What about the other feeling ??
Hi Jeanat:

How are you feeling?  It's been a month since your post and I'm wondering if your pain and swelling are improved at all?  I'm really sorry to hear about your surgeon's attitude and general lack of concern.  No matter how skilled your surgeon, he should show you the same common courtesy and respect he would show any other human being.  Maybe it's time to grab the reigns and visit the surgeon again on your own terms.  Take a list of your questions with you and, if he rises to leave, say, "Hey, wait a minute.  I need some help here!"

Given the difficulties you face at home with your husband's care, don't you think it's time to reach out and get some help until you're back on your feet?  Not everyone can afford paid care but there must be resources out there for you.  Talk to your Doctor, your family, friends, co-workers, church or social service volunteers or anyone you feel safe with.  Reach out to members of this forum who want to voice their opinions.  Remember though, that no one should be giving you instructions or advice on health-related matters except your health care team.    

There is a fantastic research resource that I've found very helpful called "The First Principles of Gastroenterology": http://gastroresource.com/GITextbook/en/Default.htm.   You can either search the whole book or select individual chapters on the left (i.e.: 13 - Biliary System).   Everyone who is registered on medhelp has a journal on their home page.  It's a great way to review your situation objectively and identify patterns in your symptoms, medications and pain level.  Hindsight is 20/20 and keeping a log might help you look at things more objectively over the longer term.

Take care of yourself.  Good luck and Godspeed.  Please let us know how you're doing?

All the best,

Sam