Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
RUQ pain - no diagnosis

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

RUQ pain - no diagnosis

Ok, maybe someone can give me a little insight into what to look for.  I have had pain under might right ribs extending into my back at times for three weeks. A little stomach upset, but only mild - no vomiting - a little loose stool which fiber helps.

34 years old - overweight (285)
Ultrasound - normal
Blood work - normal
CT scan - only indication is slightly enlarged spleen

Have been on Cipro for one week
Have taken flagyl for three days - just stopped because of side effects maybe from flagyl (headace, chills, stomach spasms).

Pain is not diminishing.

I'm thinking the gall bladder.  My doc is looking at diverticulitus, but my pain is in upper right quadrant, not the usual place for this.  I know he's going to try barium enema next.  Should I push for a hidascan?  Other things I should ask about?

I'm also concerned about potential for malignancies.  I smoked for 10 years and quit 5 years ago.  I haven't had any symptoms of lung cancer such as blood, or coughing - never the less, my body feels "funny".  It's hard to describe.  Not a good diagnostic description, I know.  It feels like a pressure - like a softball has been shoved inside my ribs and is pushing everything around.
Greg,
I've been suffering from somewhat the same symptoms since the end of January.  I started a new, stressful job then and by the end of the first week felt like someone was sqeezing the breath out of me (really hard to get a good, deep breath)and felt that awful pressure at the bottom of right rib cage.  I've been to the doc, who suggested wearing looser clothes and did bloodwork.  The only thing found thru the bloodwork was a thyroid problem!  The pressure has let up some, due to the looser clothes, but it's still there.  It gets worse under stress and when I eat something unusual (like Chinese food).  I finally talked to my mom about it and she tells me that she had almost identical symptoms ~20 years ago on the LEFT side, which her doctor labeled IBS.  She said that you can get trapped gas in your colon, which then presses on your rib cage and causes discomfort.  I'm going to the doc today and I'm going to ask if that can really happen!  

I understand what you mean about worrying though, my 38 year old cousin died last year of liver/kidney cancer, so it's scary....

From what I've heard, if it's gall bladder, do your symptoms worsen after eating?  I've started writing everything done, so I'll remember!

Good Luck to you!
Valerie
i had pains on right side under ribs and it woudld go up and into back and all in chest some time but on right  and would hurt real bad let up come back  for hours   i have been to emergency many times   to make a long story short  it would go into my face and jaws gums  and have been tested more than once for hear attack and heart problems   they could not tell for sure   stll cant tell some time i still have pains and nausea and stuff  but it seems to have helped after i had gallbladder surgery   i have been i the hospital since then withe chest and abdominal pains  and face pain   but not quit e like that    i have a mild coronary artery desease and mild mitral valve prolapse dont have to take medicinefor it thank GOD  but any way  i have reflux esophogits  and some ailments   do you have these type of things     ok  about the test  i had been tested through the years for gallbladder problem because of the symptoms  i mentioned above  i am talking for several years   even the doctor in emergency room said he thought i had gallbladder problem   ihad ultrasounds  upper gi  lower gi  hediscan   i the first hidiscan i had was orderd by a emetgency doctor  a woman doctor she asked me if i ever had a hidiscan and i said idont think so which to my knowledge i had not   any again i had one and nothing show that made them thik problem then i had another hidiscan by my gastrointerologist  and nothing   finally on time later the same gastro doctor said he wanted me to have a nother hidiscan and guess what   it showed the gallbadder was not functioning normal  and sent me to a surgeron  that surgern had problem of whether to remove gallbladder so i told m y gastro dr that i waterd a second opinion and i wanted that other surgeon any way   so my gastro dr said we will get a second opinion because he thought it should comeout  well i had gallbladder surgery  oct 14 1999 and i feel the difference   i stll have some gass and other stuff but it is so better   that pain is no like that i had PRAISE GOD  but my family dr and gastro dr said it takes a while 6 mo to year for things to be ok and stuff it help me like i said i have stomach and abdomen pains and gasl comes and goes and nausea at time and dirreah some time    but my surgeron said it my gallbladder was all messed up alot of inflamation (inflammation)  and mess in it but no stones you see that is probably why it didnt show those times   it took 3 hidiscans to show on the last   plus did not show on those other test    one test showed thickness in gallbadder some wher but they did not talk about it as concern  then the last one showed the story   i hope  you find out what is causing  your problems     have you had heart test and have they ruled out different thing    just thougt i would writeyou   i know what it is to wonder what is going on          God Bless You                                       mary elizabeth
Thanks for the information.  Here's a followup.  Went the the ER on Friday - pain in back, abdomen, dizzy, weak - They did the hidascan which was normal.  I think some of my symptoms were caused by the antiobiotic which triggered a severe anxiety attack.  Anyway, I am still in pain today with pain in my back near the right shoulder blade.  Still the pain/pressure under my ribs.  I'm wondering if I have a pinched nerve in my upper back which is causing all of this, since this area gives me more pain every day.  I also notice much of the pain disappears after I sleep, or lay down and relax.  Anyway, I'm going to see my GP in two days.  We'll see what else he can do for me.
i have had the same pain in my right side for 2 years now. i first went to a doctor and all my blood tests were negative. just recently i had more blood work, and a cat- scan, my doctor tells me i have a fatty liver from drinking to much, but i don't drink that much. my pain never goes away. hope you find something.
Be patient, I had the same URQ pain for six months
straight, no relief!!  Went to many Drs, went for
many tests, only thing that showed were GB stones.
Even though my symptoms weren't classic for stones
(pain did not get worse after meals, actually it
didn't have any particular rythym to it at all!!
Dull pain, wearing tight clothing did make it worse
I do believe that stressing and worrying about it
which I did do, I thought for sure it was serious,
made it worse.  I have not had any pain for almost
2 months. Greg, hang in there, my doc now thinks
that I just happened to also have stones, she doesn't
believe it is what caused my symptoms and also believes
it is intestinal related.
Randy, interesting you should mention the fatty liver - I also have a "slightly fatty liver" and the docs keep asking me if I drink a lot.  I don't - maybe two glasses of wine on Fridays.  I wonder if there's a connection.

Georgie, did you also have any acid reflux (heartburn)?  Now I feel this in my chest.  It has been there the last 4 or 5 days.
Just got back from the Dr's office.  My hidascan showed very slow uptake in the gallbladder (>60 minutes before it showed up) but normal contraction (45%).  This with the recent heartburn and pain under my right shoulderblade makes him think the problem is the gallbladder.  I will go in for an upper GI tomorrow just to make sure that something else is not wrong and have scheduled a consult with a surgeon in a couple weeks.

Thanks for all your input, folks.  I want to make absolutely sure before they start cutting things out of me.

Go and get an upper GI done.  That should tell you alot!  I just had one done a week ago for pain right where you are explaining!  Before I had this done, they ran lots of other tests and still no answer.  It could be your gallbladder, but very sckeptical.  I had a gallbladder ultra sound- but that came back clear.  Anyway, the upper GI found: Esophagitis/Erythema, Gastritis/Congested Mucosa, and Duodenitis/Erythema.  I am taking Prevacid to try and lower my stomach acid level.  Anyway, that's my suggestion.  Good luck!
Alissa,

Thanks for your comments.  I had an upper GI done on Friday and am waiting for the results.  Now I have some chest pain - kind of in my shoulder and upper right chest.  Also feels like there's always something in my throat that I can't get out no matter how much I try to clear it.  More on the right in my bronchial tubes.  Can esophagitis cause this?  I am also taking prevacid.  Much of the heartburn is gone, but I have this chest pain now.
Good to find this forum. In Oct.99, I was sitting at work and felt as if someone was trying to pull my right lower ribs out. After a few days of this, I went to see my GP, and she ordered a ultrasound for possible Gallstones. Came back normal. She then decided to treat me for a muscle pull even though I informed her this was not the case (Gut feeling). Pardon the pun. For the next two months I went back weekly and to the point that she was making me feel like a hypocondriac. January 00, I asked her about H. Pylori and she (probably fed up at this time) prescribed Heldac Therapy. That prescription made me so ill that on Day 10 of 14 I could no longer take the stuff. I went back to see the GP and she finally ordered an upper GI and an oral cholecystiogram. Cholecystiogram showed normal gallbladder, Upper GI showed mild duodinitis. She then refered me to a GI internist who will be performing an endoscopy March 23rd. At least I finally got to a specialist. The HMO system certainly does not work with the patient. Hope the doc's enjoy their yearly bonus for managed health care.  My symptoms have been dull ache in URQ, mild to moderate fatigue, loose stools, dizzy, nausea (rare), and feeling like I have something caught in my throat at times. This really stinks because up to this point (35 yrs) I have had a normal life. This has really been a trying time as you all know what I mean. Well when I went to the GI Doc for my initial visit, it was reassuring for me to hear from him that he did not agree with my GP's approach to my problems. He also said that he never prescribes heldac because of the side effects. Hopefully I will soon see what is going on so that I can get back to a normal life. I wish you all luck in getting to the root of your problems. Has anyone experienced my symptoms and gotten a DX. It would be nice to hear from someone. Thanks.
To Mary and others:  I can't believe so many people are suffering through exactly what I've been.  I've had pain, sometimes burning pain under my right rib area for the past year.  Had my gallbladder out last October; was imflammed and scarred, but no stones.  Still have the pain and pressure in my chest and right rib area that sometimes spreads around to my back.  No doctor seems to be able to pinpoint the problem.  I get very constipated and my abdomen swells, so on my own I've started taking a fiber drink at night.  It helps the pain under my rib, the pain moves to my lower abdominal area though.  I'm thinking it's a gas problem.  Or digestive problem.  I'm curious what you said about your doctor saying it sometimes takes 6 monthes to a year to heal.  I have NEVER heard that and I've been to MANY doctors and have had nearly every test imaginable.  I'd like to know exactly what your doctor said.  And is he/she a gastroenterologist.  Please write back; I'm at my wits end.  Thanks, Jane
Greg,
  Please let us know what the diagnosis was. I have been going through some of the same things you are, and was told by a gastro doctor he is at a loss, doesn't know what is wrong. When I had the scan, it also took about as long for the gall bladder to open up, had much pain and nausea when it did. Mine is emptying though at 85%. I have had all the other tests; ultrasound, upper GI of the stomach only (which showed irritated nerve endings), blood work and upper GI. Nothing else shows up. All the symptoms are there; pain in UPRQ,gets worse when I lay on my right side at night, pain up under ribcage, sometimes up behind the shoulder blades,orange colored stool, constipation and gas. I've been on Prevasid, Donnatal and nothing helps. I'm thinking of trying to get a referral to another gastro doctor. I'm tired of having all these test and then they find nothing. Any suggestions?
Elaine,

Hang in there.  I don't have a firm diagnosis yet, but it sure seems like my gallbladder.  I had an upper GI last week.  It only showed that I have reflux.  I could have told them that without the barium swallow!  My doc suspects "chronic cholecystitis".  I have a consult with a surgeon next week (Thursday) and will let you all know what he says.  I have lots of questions for him.  I know what you mean about all the tests - I've had them all.  But at least I know I have nothing else wrong!  I actually had a MRI of my spine today to see if I have a pinched nerve.  I probably won't have the results until next week, but the technician said he saw a "bulge" which could be impinging on my nerves.  It was very small, so it may be nothing.    I want to make sure before I have anything cut out of me.  Did you have pain when your gallbladder contracted or when it started to show on the scan?  That might indicate that you have an inflamed gallbladder.  From what I can tell, it is possible to have gallbladder problems without necessarily gallstones.  But I'm going to ask the surgeon if it can be so inflamed and still contract normally.  

Oh, another thing I have seem pop up in the messages on this forum is problems with the "spinchter of odi" which may prevent the bile from flowing properly.  People who have the same pain after the gallbladder has been removed often have a problem with this.  It is diagnosed by a scope down the pipe.  There are complications with this procedure (~25% get pancreatitis).  You might want to ask your doc about this possibility.
This all sounds familiar. I had this rt upper quadrant pain for 7 yrs and all gallbladder tests normal. Eventually had worse pain and had an open removal of galbladder( not recommended!), no stones but very immflammed. I still had pain and tests showed I had a narrowed bile duct.I had an ercp with many complications, it always happens to nurses!!I had further troubles with narrowing of the bile duct and had stents for 12 mnths. Even though blood tests ok the dr decided to operate and remove the scarred part of the bile duct and found chronic pancretitis. Unfortunatly I am getting pain again and wonder if the bile duct is narrowing again although blood tests ok. Also wonder if its pancreatitis again even though se amylase is ok. They say the amylase stops going up in chronic pancretitis. I also am getting indigestion which is what I got when the stent blocked up.The surgeon doesn't want to see me unless pain is excrutiating but the chronic pain is scary. I will probably see my gastroenterologist eventually but after so much illness its hard to start back on the dr trail again.
I wonder if alot of all your troubles are to do with the bile duct? They can do scans to see the passage of bile down the bile duct without having an ercp. Ercp doesn't hurt but the panreatitis afterwards can.
Wow.  I wishe we could all get help.  Here's my story.  I am 35 and had my gall bladder removed in 1995 due to URQ pain with no clear diagnosis, other than a slow hida scan.  After that I was great.....until this past August.  One day at work I started having like a bad cramp at the bottom of my right rib cage.  It got worse as the day progressed and eventually I ended up in the ER with a low grade fever, high white count and UNGODLY pain.  I was admitted and had a CT and an upper GI.  All they found was "chronic constipation".  This shocked me, as I had been having regular bowel movements and had been on fiber therapy.  After 2 days of fluids only I was sent home.  Two weeks later - WHAM - happened again.  Back in the hospital for an endoscopy and colonoscopy.  Both were essentially normal - only mild inflammation in colon which I was told was "very mild IBS".  Whatever. Then they decided to take out my appendix since my white count was still high and no one could find the cause.  I went through the surgery for nothing in November.

Anyway since then I have been to my primary MD (bloodwork city), a mitral valve specialist (have mild MVP), 4 different GI docs (repeated upper GI and endoscopy - nothing), a urologist (did ultrasound and IVP - nothing) and an ob-gyn specialist (pelvic ultrasound showed nothing but small fibroid and small cysts on right ovary).  I lost 14 pounds, had headaches all the time, hurt in my entire right abdomen, lower right back and shoulder and developed dizziness and terrible nausea.  

The GI doc I am seeing now suggested an ERCP which I agreed to (you know - we get DESPERATE).  HE said my bile duct was narrow and had a lot of pressure in it.  He put in a stent and I got sicker.  I developed mild pancreatitis (cleared in a few days) and the right side pain continued.  He repeated the ERCP 2 weeks later and did a papillotomoy (made an incision in the bile duct to relax it and keep it open).  Initially I did feel some better.
The nausea eased and the dizzy spells stopped.  I ate well again and gained 5 pounds back and felt stronger.  Now, over the past couple of weeks the pain has started again!!!  I went to the ER in tears, begging them to help me.  Well...you know the drill.  They sent me home with pain pills and blamed it on IBS.  I went back to my GI doc and he gave me fiber samples!!!!  I was furious with him.  I have every fiber product known to man already! I stormed out.  He has apologized since, but just doesn't know what else to look for or do.

I have a lot of pressure pain under my lower right ribs.  Like one of them is broken and stabbing me.  I also hurt around the right side of my navel and sometimes in my lower right pelvic area.  It is a burning, stabbig pain.  Sometimes I feel like something is being twisted in there - like a rag.  I can't function when it is at its worst.  All I can do is lay down and cry.  I want to run to the ER for help - but I have learned that is a lost cause.  It is tender to the touch in all of those places and also the lower back/kidney area.  The urologist was SURE I had a kidney stone, but they did not see one on the IVP.  The ultrasound showed a small "flake" in my right kidney though and I pass globs of mucous in my urine (which again I have told everyone and they dismiss it since my urinalysis is ok).

I know this is long, but I wanted to share my experiences.  I went yesterday to the health food store and bought some aloe vera juice and flaxseed powder.  I read it helps with severe IBS and I'll try anything at this point. I just can't believe the IBS thing because of the fact that my pain is so point specific, isn't like bowel cramps and DOES NOT improve after bowel movements.  I think IBS is a cop out.  I am at my wits end and sometimes want to just scream.  My life has gone downhill and I WANT IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel free to e-mail me if you want.  And if any GOOD doctors read this and can think of something that hasn't been done/checked PLEASE email me also.  I want to ask my doc about Hemachromotosis, carcinoid (which my brother had) and other things...but they think I'm nuts already.  Being the patient is the pits sometimes.  

Deb.
(***@****)
I can totally relate! I just had my gall bladder removed 7 weeks ago. Prior to the surgery, I have been experiencing troubles with my stomache for 11-12 years. The most common symptoms are major nausea when I eat, vomitting (usually), pain and pressure feeling under my rib cage, (in the middle and to the right), a feeling as though something is pushing from the inside out, or another way to describe it was it felt like something was going to burst outwards inside of me. These symptoms have been worsening over the course of the years I've had these problems. Twice in 99 I had major attacks where the nausea, vomitting and mild pain would last for a few days. Finally in Dec. 99 I was hospitalized. My white blood cell count was 15,000 (normal is 5,000); my spleen was enlarged, my liver was enlarged and three liver enzyme levels were elavated; my gall bladder was enlarged and they found a small ulcer. (I am a 31 year old female, 5'10" and 130lbs). Apparently I did not fit the profile of a gall bladder patient due to my weight and size. As well, I wasn't showing any gall stones. (But then again, the pain was never really bad, it was the pressure and nausea that was worse.) Doctors recommended removing my gall bladder. I had the surgery done with the hopes that maybe this would be the end of my problems. I can't go out to restaurants because I just end up getting really sick anways, and have to leave early. Anyway, since having my gall bladder removed, the nausea and vomitting are still an issue with me, although I have to admit the pressure/pain feeling has gone away. I described to my family that now it doesn't feel like there's so much activity going on inside me. However, I still feel sick when I eat which has me feeling disappointed. Furthermore, I know have chronic problems with hearburn and reflux. I didn't have problems like that before the surgery, but now I do - and quite severely at times. I hope some of my information is helpful to you.
Well, another trip to the ER tonight.  This time for burning in my chest and upper back pain.  EKG was normal as was a chest xray.  I thought for sure my lung was filled with cancer, but thankfully it's not.  My anxiety was crippling me.  The ER doc was very good.  He suggested that I have Fibromyalgia and my pains are symptoms of this ellusive disease.  It makes some sense because I did not have classic gallbladder symptoms like nausea.  I have other symptoms which can be attributed to fibromyalgia - fatigue, insomnia, etc.  This is thought to be a reumatoid type disease.  I'm going to look into this some more and will let you all know what I find out.
Greg C. - Please email me at ***@****.  I would like to compare notes, etc.  I have the same problems.
have they done any blood tests to test your liver enzymes?  they probably should do a CT scan of your liver to rule out any lesions.  Normal operating procedure.  Ask your doc.
this is very long, but I wanted to be thorough.

Greg, I have had EXACTLY the same experience as you. It started in September of 99, when I had gotten the flu, strangely enough. I keep wondering if it's related somehow, but the doctors don't seem too interested in that info.

About a week into my flu (which I know wasn't food poisoning, because 2 other members of my family had it before I did--I didn't take anything for it except cold-eeze), I started feeling pressure behind my right ribs. kind of like trapped gas. it hurt, but not terribly. I felt the urge to burp, but that made it worse. My right tonsil felt infected and puss-covered. The doctor prescribed antibiotics, which I took faithfully, and I tested negative for strep. My chest pain became slowly worse, and ever since I have felt like there was something stuck in my throat on the right side. My bowel movements were loose (not diarrhea, though) and light colored, and it took several months for this to correct itself. my stomach still seems over-sensitive on occasion, but to nothing particular (I had an iron stomach before--nothing bothered it, except when I was having acid reflux problems--i'd stay away from soda or OJ and I was fine). I had also lost my appetite a bit; I never really felt hungy, though I had no problem keeping food down.

My doctor couldn't see anything wrong, so he sent me to an ENT, who looked at my throat with the scope and said it looked perfectly normal. But he prescribed me some zantac, thinking that maybe acid reflux was irritating my throat. I've had reflux problems in the past, and they have never felt or done anything like this. I also wasn't experiencing any heartburn or indigestion at the time. Anyway, I took the zantac every day, but the chest pain got worse. It moved from behind my right ribs to higher and more centralized in my chest, and it worried me, so I went to the ER.

It obviously wasn't my gallbladder, because that was removed 2 years ago, and I have never had any side effects or problems with it at all, no recovery time, nothing. And believe me, that pain was FAR DIFFERENT than this pain. the only similarity is it's kind of close to the same area, but not exactly, and it's a pressure kind of feeling too, but the gallbladder is much, much, much worse. my gall bladder was packed full of stones, and was legitimately removed, and I have been fine with a regular diet ever since. (I was also diagnosed with that while I was pregnant, and had to wait until after I had the baby and recovered before I could have surgery. I ate absolutely NO FAT for the next 2 1/2 months and did not have a single attack (had 3 attacks before they figured out it wasn't labor or trapped gas) until I had a BIG ONE right before my scheduled surgery. It was a hunderd times more painful than child birth. I guess it could be different for other people, but I think you'd know it if that was the problem).

Anyway, they did a chest xray: fine. EKG: fine. Blood work: perfect. liver is fine, liver enzymes are fine. They did an ultrasound: nothing (were looking for maybe a retained stone from the gallbladder, but everybody was doubtful on that one, since it had been almost 2 years). CT scan: fine. So I go to see the gatroenterrologist.

he gives me prilosec, which seems to help a little, but then it doesn't. the problems have been getting worse, throat still funny. So I have an upper endoscopy. says stomach linng pretty red, says it's GERD, keeps me on prilosec. Like I said before, I've had problems with reflux and acid production, so not surprising, but I still don't feel this is the answer. Biopsy: fine.

the pain has begun radiating into my back on rare occasions; then I started to feel it more and more there (though that pain is preferable to feeling it in the chest). Pain gets worse; he ups the prilosec doseage. still the same. I am taking any pain medication I can to numb it. of couse, that's not good for my stomach, but the pain is bad for me too, eh? he has me on smooth muscle relaxants. they don't do a thing.

about two months ago, I started feeling queasy, almost like I was pregnant, but I'm not. that went away, though, after a couple of weeks. so that might have been something else (maybe upping my prilosec?).

Doctor gave me some celebrex to take for the pain; he now thinks it's a muscle problem and not a stomach one. funny, but it hurts when I eat on occasion,and always hurts when I burp. (there was a time when it felt better to eat a little something). it is obviously related to that area somehow.

the pain has been radiating to my jaw for some time. I even thought maybe it was a tooth problem, my wisdom tooth hitting a nerve or something! I have thought the pain in my back was a muscle problem, though I really know otherwise. I worried that maybe I had broken a rib somehow and not noticed. I have been frightened out of my wits by thinking its cancer (went through a weepy period where I thought my daughter would grow up without me), even though all tests are normal. it's very easy to panic when you don't know what it is. it has been raditaing into my arm a little, too, so the doctor is supposed to send me for an echocardiogram this week, just to cover himself, as well as an upper GI (don't know what good that will do now). i don't think it is my heart; it's fine when i exercise, I'm never short of breath (I have asthma, but it hasn't bothered me in ages, and then was mild), there's no history of heart disease in my family, etc, etc. and besides, why would it hurt when I swallow?

My syptoms (symptoms) seem to get worse under stress and if I don't get enough sleep. my stomach seems full a lot easier now; Eating little meals seems to help (about 1/3 of a regular meal), otherwise i get indigestion.

I have, in the same time period, developed a skin condition which I believe to be Psoriasis. (antoher trip to the doctor next week to confirm that) i have had similar problems on my scalp on and off for years, but only to a very small extent (it's definitely not dry scalp of dandruff). it gets worse under stress, and clears up a little when I'm not stressed. I am worried about it now because about a month and a half ago I developed a patch of it on my face near my hairline. I mention this because it is said to be a rhumatoid problem or a sign of such problems. I find the fibromyalgia angle very enlightening: my family has a long history of rhumatoid problems; my mother has rhumatoid arthritis on both sides of her family, she herself has a rhumatoid disease which hasn't been pinned down yet to an exact one, although the doctors are certain it is a rhumatoid problem. Her sister has lupus, and my brother has suspected psoriasis as well. he also has joint problems (he is only 19), as does my mother, and in the last week or two, I have felt my shoulders and my hips hurting on both sides at the same time. the symmetry can be a sign of rhumatoid arthritis.

I have never smoked, drink maybe one drink a year, and don't touch caffeine (except for in the occasional chocolate). I am overweight (200 lb, 5'7") but that is mostly due to the weight I gained while on prozac last year (I have lost 20 lbs since being off it without changing diet or exercising more). I did change my diet for the GERD, but it didn't help the pain any.

I am only 26 years old. I keep thinking that I am going to feel this way for the rest of my life!!! ARGHHHH!!! At least if I knew what it was, maybe I could deal with it. My doctors don't take me seriously, and we've had to switch insurances in the last year and due to mixups with that have had trouble getting to the doctor when I need to. And when I do go, they scrath their heads or tell me I'll have to live with it. thank god I don't have an HMO. I am going for a second opinion next week (if it wasn't for the insurance problems I would have gone 3 months ago).

my thoat still bothers me, but I've gotten used to it now. trying to clear it just irriates it, so I've had to train myself not to do it.

I will look into the fibromyalgia, too, just to see. Let me know what you come up with!! if anyone has any info on this or has the same problem, feel free to email me at ***@****; that way if any of us find a solution we can spread the info around, in case we can't or don't get back to this site)
KTR,

Sounds very similar to what I am going through.

Just to let everyone know where I'm at now -

I have had:

Ultrasound - normal
Ab CT - essentially normal - slightly enlarged spleen, slightly fatty liver (I don't drink to excess - probaly because i'm overweight)
Upper GI - definitely reflux, but nothing else
Chest Xray - normal (I thought I had lung cancer)
EKG - normal
MRI of spine and neck - normal
HidaScan - almost normal - slow uptake (>60 min) and 46% contract

Symptoms -

6 weeks ago started having pain/pressure under right ribs.  After 1.5 weeks had the ultrasound.  Pain still there noticed some pain in my upper back - gets worse as the day goes on - i think maybe strain.  Had all the other tests over the ensuing month as the symptoms get worse and worse.  I have had some stomach upset (not nausea), gas (i am eating more fiber), Anxiety has been killing me.  This has been the worse.  I started on small doses of xanax a couple days ago and have been feeling much better, though the ab and back pain is still there - much of the other pain (stomach contractions, some of the chest pain) is alleviated.  Stress and Anxiety definitely make it worse for me.  The last two days i have been feeling this sharp pain in my back (upper right middle) which comes and goes every few minutes.  Feels like someone is sticking a knife in my back.  The pain goes all the way through to my chest.

I had a consult with the surgeon yesterday.  He's not convinced its my gallbladder.  I have a buisness trip next week, so will be out of town (and suffering).  Where do we go from here?  Well, the only test I haven't had is a barium enema.  We'll do that in two weeks when I get back.  I think I do have some IBS which is common with fibromyalgia by the way.  The surgeon may also repeat my hidascan because I'm not sure if I was under the influence of narcotic pain medication when it was done before.

I have learned alot about stress and anxiety.  It is irrational and terrible.  The xanax is helping me to sleep and get some rest.  This is the number one thing I'm trying to get a hold of right now.  THe pain I can handle, the fatigue and anxiety I can't.  So, everyone who is reading this - I would suggest you try to control your stress levels.  It is helping me some.

Hang in there . . .
Please tell me what effect a narcotic pain medication has on the
hida scan. I took a tylenol #3 the night before I had the test done, probably 10-11 hours before the test from hell. It makes me wonder now if that affected my test, since the doctor felt that test was normal, (but hurt like heck, worse after the gall blader did open). I'm still having the same troubles, is not going away. Has anyone had all these test done, blood work, ultrasound, upper GI, endoscopic of the stomach only and then some other test was done to diagnosis gall bladder trouble. What is left for me to try? I see mention of an ECRP, what does that show that a hidascan wouldn't?
yep, me too.
RUQ pain radiates to my back.
started end of august 99 with loss of appetite.
sharp abdominal pain thought to be appendicits.
not acute enough to remove.  told to wait it out, might go away.
pain has been daily.  sometimes an ache sometimes shooting, poker-like from back to front.
lost 20 lbs in one month.  5 back now.  29-year-old female.
137lb five six.  very active.  daily work out - weights.  hockey player, soccer, vollleyball, baseball.
ct scan abdomen - normal
ultrasound abdomen - normal
ultrasound pelvis - normal  (fluid in cervix)
barium swallow - normal but quick follow through
thyroid - bit hyper but normal
tested for porphyria - negative
24-hour urine sample - must have been normal
january to hospital in evening with pain (after hockey)
nurse didn't call doctor
sent home - nothing
after a hockey tournament february had a "seizure".  perhaps tia  (transient ischemic attack) mini-stroke.
stopped mid-sentence didn't know what i was talking about.  couldn't follow conversation.  "faded/zoned" in and out.  er dr. admitted me when i couldn't figure out the date or count backwards by 7.  lasted about 4 hours.  even into the next days i was in a stupour.
followed by an enormous headache the next day.  kept in for 3 days.  discharged taken off bcp (birth control pill) no driving.
ct scan cranium - normal
24 - hour holter monitor - ? no result yet, no news i suspect normal
echocardiogram - same as above
electroencephalogram - same as above
2 weeks later excruciating abdominal pain.  pain in abdomen when voiding.  pain on the step.  subsides if i am still.
to hospital.  admitted again for 3 days.
laparoscopy to rule out appendicitis - no appendicits
gyn consult looked at cervix, fallopian tubes, uterus.  noted kinked fallopian tube, fluid plus pain deduced pid.
although kink on left side - pain right.  
fluid culture - normal.
met with gyn.  admitted incorrect dx  (after $70 antibiotics of course) and a few extra holes in my tummy.
suspected kidney with further understanding of location of pain.

ivp - no stones

has another "episode" of  pain.  didn't go to the hospital.  i know i should have, but i was tired of hospitals and as i said, if i'm still it subsides.

doctors are done with me.
no more tests to do.
waiting for the next "episode"  and they want to see me in the situation (even though i've already been twice).  can't wait!

so now i wait.

other strange occurences include:

hyperhidrosis (nice way to say sweating)  controlled with drysol

night sweats

sleep apnea - i awake gasping for air.  my boyfriend has witnessed it.  i become rigid.  then gasp.  heart races.  sometimes this will happen and i won't really wake up.  he will tell me in the morning.  this happened during both hospitalizations.  in each case the other patient in the room rang for the nurse.

white finger - my middle finger of my left hand will turn completely waxy white.  feels dead.  lasts about 10 - 15 minutes then blood slowly reaches the tip.  noticed my middle toe of my left foot did it last night.

had a toothache that moved from top molar to bottom molar to opposite side and back to start all within 45 minutes.  the pain was nerve like.

i wear glasses for my left eye only.  lately seems to be worse.

my breasts are growing - beat that!

my hair is curling.  i have very straight fine baby-like hair.  the type that doesn't curl no matter what products i use.  now i am finding these random looping curls.

i have the hiccups on a  daily basis.  only last for two to five hiccups.  rarely do they last longer than that.  

any ideas - anyone?  what next?
Elaine,

When I had my surgical consult, he asked me if I had taken any narcotics before the hidascan.  I couldn't remember.  He said narcotics, even up to 24 hours prior to the scan, can cause slow uptake.  If you had narcotics before your scan, you might want to see about repeating it narcotic free.

Kelly,

You might want to look up some information on firbromyalgia.  This is a chronic fatigue/pain syndrome which some believe is related to sleep disorders.  If you say you have apnea, that could be related to your symptoms.  I think there have been studies on sleep which show that if deep sleep is interupted for some period of time, symptoms of fibromyalgia show up (pain, aches, tender points, irritable bowel syndrome).  You may not have fibromyalgia, but the apnea could cause your symptoms.  I would suggest you seek out a doctor who specializes in sleep disorders.

Good luck.
thanks greg:
apnea, that seems to be the one thing that all of my doctors (and there are many) are ignoring.
i'll look into it.
today i was put on zantac by my gp.  isn't this for heartburn?  does this sound like heartburn?
he was ready to send me for the hida scan, but decided to try this first.
i don't feel THATsick.  i'm just concerned that this may be the tip of the iceberg.  am i wasting my energy here, should i just let it lie?  ****, i'm 29 and they're telling me i MAY have had a stroke!  mini or otherwise, this is bullsh%# and i want some answers.

yep - i'm done
Greg,
I have had pain in my right side, just like you are describing for years.  I have had every test imaginable, including a Hyda Scan and now, six years later they are going to do another Hyda Scan.  I am miserable with indigestion and pain and I never sleep through a night without getting up at least for Prilosec.

I am having another Hyda Scan on Monday morning and I hope that will finally divulge the problem so that we can correct it.  I have had polyps removed from my stomach through endoscopy already and the doctor found a diverticulitis also, which should not cause pain in the right side(it's supposed to only cause pain in the left side).  They also found a cyst on my liver, which they say is benign and should not be causing all of this pain.  

I wish I could tell you more and I will if I find out anything new after the next Hyda.  I hope you are feeling better by now and that they have a solution for you.
I left out some info on my earlier message.  My doctor also seems to think that Fibromyalgia is causing my symptoms.  He said that he has seen many cases of stomach problems that result from this.  I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia many years ago, but most doctors seem to think I am crazy because there are so many symptoms that I see them about.

?????Anyone that reads this?????Have any of you had problems with Bell's Palsy(facial paralysis)?  I also had this.  

Longish response:

Kelley, a couple of things you mentioned reminded me, I have a couple of other things going on with me that I didn't really think about being connected.

I do seem to be sweating more; I just tacked it up to moving to South Florida after years of being in north florida and figured I just wasn't used to the weather (but I did grow up here and it's really not that different). But even when I stay inside in the air conditioning I feel like I need another shower in less than 24 hours. I've always had oily skin and had to wash my hair every day, but lately it seems to get very dirty in just a few hours. I also thought maybe it was due to a hormone change after having my baby. I stopped breastfeeding in May 99, but my milk didn't dry up completely until this all started in Sept 99.

ALSO, my hair has begun to grow out curly too. I have read that this can be due to a mineral imbalance, or hormones, which I also thought it might be.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I also had a loss of appetite at the beginning of my illness (after I was over the flu, that is).

My jaw pain I also feel in my molar sometimes, but only the bottom ones (on the right side). I was supposed to go to the dentist this week but they didn't have my appointment, so I'll have to wait to rule out any strange tooth thing (I doubt it is, it feels like a nerve pain, but who knows.)

I think a lot of this might be hormone-induced--I've heard that GERD (or some of these symptoms of GERD) can be. I'm seeing the GYN with all this info next week; we'll see. I am going to go on bcps so we'll see if that helps (have never been on them before).

My skin has also become drier on my face and my earring-holes got infected and closed over after years of no problems and not wearing earrings for long periods. they never closed up before, and never had any allergic recations to the cheaper earrings either. I don't know if this is related, but the infection is persistent, and it also didn't happen until last autumn. along with the psoriasis, my skin's nearly unmanageable! Sometimes it's red and blotchy, and rarely, I get redness, like a sunburn, on my face (without the sun). This can be a lupus symptom, I think, another rheumatic thing; my mom has had this too, but I pretty sure her doctors have ruled out lupus. Has anyone else had skin problems?

Greg, I looked into fibromyalgia briefly, but didn't have much time to really study it. I have had a lot of insomnia in the past few months, but I have had that my whole life during winter, so I didn't think about that either. I have also had periods in my life where I am just too tired to do anything. I don't happen to feel that way now, though; this is both frustrating and good, because of course I don't want to feel exhausted, but then again I hate feeling like I have good energy levels and being in too much pain to do anything with the energy. it's either one or the other!!

I also do much better when I am less stressed. I don't know how I've accomplished it lately, but I have reduced my stress levels. I am self-employed so this isn't easy, but I just remind myself that nothing is more important than my health. it sems to help. long walks and deep breaths seem to help too. when the pain starts to creep up I hold my whole chest still and take slow not-too-deep breaths and it helps beat it. when it's worse, i take some tylenol3 and sit and wait for it to work. I think it helps knowing I am not the only one with this. Not that I would wish it on anyone else! But it gives me something to present to my doctors to show I'm not crazy. Knowing this also helps bring down my stress. It's good, greg, that you got something for the anxiety. I was about to do that myself! Now that I've convinced myself I'm not going to die from cancer or something, I feel much better, too.  not knowing what it is makes you stress out, which makes it worse, which makes you stress, etc.

I don't get as much sleep as I used to now, either, and when I don't that makes me worse 99% of the time. so maybe it is fibromyalgia-related. For the last week I've had pains in my shoulders and hips, especially on my left side. And they are tender points sometimes when I feel fine--my husband touches my shoulder and it flares up. these are more annoying than painful, and maybe will lead to a dignosis, hope, hope?

Lea: I have not had any facial paralysis, but about a month ago my eye started twitching almost constantly. it lasted for a few days, and when I was able to get more rest and less stress, it stopped, but it started again last week (not as often as before, though. all ths stuff gets worse with the stress).

I feel too young to be going through all this--i thought our bodies are supposed to give out on us when were much, much older. I am overweight (have not always been, thanks, prozac--and my own fault for not noticing the weight creeping up on me), but i do exercise, I don't eat a lot of "bad" stuff (not much fat, not much sugar, no aspartame), I haven't touched caffiene in years (except for chocolate--I can't give it up! but only rarely since it supposedly can make GERD worse, although I haven't noticed it happening with this). I've never taken any drugs, legal or no, except prozac (until this, that is), except for one small dose of ibuprofen once a month for menstrual cramps and some pain meds when I had my gallbladder attacks in '98. I don't like to take anything unless I'm really hurting. I've never really drunk alcohol (until this--ha!), only been drunk once when I was a silly college girl. never smoked, not even a puff. I drink lots of water, always have, and take vitamins almost every day (got off the track when i started feeling like I had something stuck in my throat--not too comfortable to swallow a big ol' pill like that).

My point: I have taken pretty good care of myself, compared to a lot of people out there. So what could it be? Sorry, had to complain for a while to people who understand. the doctors don't care, some of my family seem to have worse medical problems of their own, so I don't feel right in complaining to them, and my husband gets upset because he can't fix it. He even went with me to the doctors last time to get some answers. as usual, the doctor didn't have any.

I read somewhere on the net that the throat thing and pain can be symtoms (symptoms) of GERD, but they don't know why. I'm thinking it's more likely something else that resembles GERD, or even causes GERD, but they don't know what it is, so they chalk it up to that. I don't think the GERD is causing all of this. It doesn't feel right, somehow. intuitively I know something else is wrong.

AND, if these are symptoms of GERD, how come my doctor didn't know that? I mean, what the heck is going on here? Somewhere there has got to be a doctor who can see that a lot of people are having these unexplained symptoms and wants to figure it out. maybe it's some rare thing; maybe fibromyalgia, I've heard that enough times now. I wonder if hormones can cause flare-ups? I'm sure my hormones are out of whack. they've always been a little crazy, hence the prozac for years to keep me from being depressed and moody. i think the pregnancy made them worse. it can happen!

So I'll check back next week. I might talk to my mom's rhumatologist and see what she thinks. Good luck, everyone, and hang in there! And if you have bad pain, think about going to a pain clinic. they can help you much better than your doctor can (especially if he's not sure you're not crazy).
This is amazing. You have just describe symptoms that I have had since Christmas, especially the feeling of having a softball shoved under your ribs. I have been thru three docs and the ultrasounds, CT scans and xrays. Nothing, not liver, not gallbladder, and since I am not vomiting, they aren't even considering a GI. As I am a woman with a history of endometriosis, I went to my ob and he just did a laproscopy last week. He took out lots of adhesions, but not in the area I had pain. The part that just kills me is that the original pain is still there. Except that now I have lots of post op pain to go with it. Eveyone just keeps patting me on the head and telling me that it take time to heal. Heal what? they still haven't solved the problem. Thank you, I don't feel so alone and afraid that I am going crazy. Please post and let me know if you find anything out. I will do the same.
Great I am not on my own of course I never thought I was but it seems if this many people are talking of these symptoms this is just a drop in the bucket to what is really out there. I ws tiold by one dr I had stress and my symptoms were all in my had. Grrrr!  For three years I suffered and ended up getting all kinds of tests for: Right upper flank pain, chest pain, feeling of difficulty swallowing, a litle dizziness and memory problems at times, nausea, excessive sweating, other abdominal pain,irritability, lathargy and my normal very energetic self just wanting to be a couch potato- really this is not me !  To start with I was sent to an internist who put me through a bunch of tests even before my lab work was back.  Most of all turned out normal.  She said it was that time of my life and to go see my ob/gyn dr.  He said it wasn't and to check out with someone else.  That dr. said he felt some of it had to do with my gallbladder and the ultrsound showed I had a sludgy gallbladder.  Had a hydascan but the lady doing this decided that she would not complete it and was in a hurry leave work.  However I will say it was probably okay with the way the test was going.  I then gave up for sometime until I could not function very well at all. The nausea increased as did the pain and the sweating was every half hour around the clock.  I went to another dr.  he took a simple blood test which showed I had H-pylori and was then given an upper GI endoscopy. A biopsy was taken and the results came back pretty positive for stomach bacteria.  This bacteria is the cause of stomach ulcers.  I was put on Helidac therapy. This I wanted to give up on as it caused certain side affects but felt if I gave up I would defeat the purpose.  I persisted and as I reached day 11 I still felt it wasn't working for me but when I completed this whole course (which is highly recommended-as failure to do so can result in a reinfection of the stomach bacteria).  I felt a million dollars a few days after the completion of the treatment and was told to watch carefully what I ate.  It has been almost two months since the treatment and YES I have had problems. Not as bad.  But when I looked back at the food I ate at those times I understood perhaps why a few of the symptoms raised their ugly heads again.  One was that I ate yoghurt.  My body does not seem to like DAIRY !.  I also ate fried chicken FATS ! I am eating a more bland diet and the problems are subsiding.  Perhaps those who have not been tested for H-Pylori and have the symptoms I have had should be tested firstly with a blood test and then followed with an upper GI endoscopy with a biopsy taken.  The only big GRRRRR! I have is that the sweats that disappeared for tweo months are back but I plan to see the gastro dr soon.
Great I am not on my own of course I never thought I was but it seems if this many people are talking of these symptoms this is just a drop in the bucket to what is really out there. I was told by one dr I had stress and my symptoms were all in my head. Grrrr!  For three years I suffered and ended up getting all kinds of tests for: Right upper flank pain, chest pain, feeling of difficulty swallowing, a little dizziness and memory problems at times, nausea, excessive sweating, other abdominal pain,irritability, lathargy and my normal very energetic self just wanting to be a couch potato- really this is not me !  To start with I was sent to an internist who put me through a bunch of tests even before my lab work was back.  Most of all turned out normal.  She said it was that time of my life and to go see my ob/gyn dr.  He said it wasn't and to check out with someone else.  That dr. said he felt some of it had to do with my gallbladder and the ultrsound showed I had a sludgy gallbladder.  Had a hydascan but the lady doing this decided that she would not complete it and was in a hurry to leave work.  However I will say it was probably okay with the way the test was going.  I then gave up for sometime until I could not function very well at all. The nausea increased as did the pain and the sweating was every half hour around the clock.  I went to another dr.  he took a simple blood test which showed I had H-pylori and was then given an upper GI endoscopy. A biopsy was taken and the results came back pretty positive for stomach bacteria.  This bacteria is the cause of stomach ulcers.  I was put on Helidac therapy. This I wanted to give up on as it caused certain side affects but felt if I gave up I would defeat the purpose.  I persisted and as I reached day 11 I still felt it wasn't working for me but when I completed this whole course (which is highly recommended-as failure to do so can result in a reinfection of the stomach bacteria).  I felt a million dollars a few days after the completion of the treatment and was told to watch carefully what I ate.  It has been almost two months since the treatment and YES I have had problems. Not as bad.  But when I looked back at the food I ate at those times I understood perhaps why a few of the symptoms raised their ugly heads again.  One was that I ate yoghurt.  My body does not seem to like DAIRY !.  I also ate fried chicken FATS ! I am eating a more bland diet and the problems are subsiding.  Perhaps those who have not been tested for H-Pylori and have the symptoms I have had should be tested firstly with a blood test and then followed with an upper GI endoscopy with a biopsy taken.  The only big GRRRRR! I have is that the sweats that disappeared for two months are back but I plan to see the gastro dr soon.
Hi folks,

Just to let you know what's happening.  I went on my business trip last week.  I had a lot of pain in my back and neck during the week and extreme fatigue.  I made it through though.

I had a barium enema on wednesday and am waiting for the results.  Since my doc didn't call me today, I think it's probably safe to say it's normal.

My symptoms keep changing everyday - the RUQ pain is much less frequent as is the upper back pain, but I am having a lot of other aches and pains - pain in my shoulder, arm, wrist.  For 5 days my right ring finger hurt sometimes the pain extended into my wrist and arm.  Today if feels ok.  I have also has wierd sensations in a tooth - like  a flash of electricity going down from my head into my tooth.  Really strange.  Aslo, some right hip and knee pain, aches in my right biceps and quads, ankles and feet.  One day my left collarbone ached, then it stopped.  I feel dazed and fatigued a lot of the time.  Also have had mild headaches everyday for the last week.  The pain is not too bad, but the fatigue and cognitive function is terrible.

My feeling is this might be some type of neurological disorder, either a virus infecting my central nervous system, or this "fibromyalgia" which some think is a problem with pain receptors and CNS.

I'm going to ask my doctor about neurological tests.
I have had the same problems for almost 2 yrs now.  Upper right quarent pain and the feeling of what I call it a balloon under my ribs being blown up.  A colic pain on my right side.  Have you had you kidneys checked.  I have UPJ obstruction, numerous stones and and chronic kidney infections.  I have had several surgeries in the past 2 yrs to try to correct this.  Good luck to you.
Dallas, TX . Same stuff, same tests, same meds as most of the others.  Pain began in mid January, comes and goes, but mostly there.  Waistline center around to the right back with pain in bottom right ribs.  Prilosec, librium, etc. no help.  No stomach upset, etc.  Was dizzy for awhile and lost appetite (lost 12 lbs-2 wks) but since ditching Prilosac, appetite returned and have gained 2-3 lbs.  To return to gastroenterologist at end of month.  Hope to have some answers by then.  Does not appear we have anything in common (ie sex, age, geographic location, etc) except these weird symptoms.  Anyway, just wanted you to know my gallbladder was removed 20 years ago so don't anyone rush to remove theirs until a final determination is made (hope, hope).  If anyones gets answers that make sense, please let us all know.  Thanks.
It really is nice to know that you are not alone with a problem, altho I hate anyone else is having this problem.  The URQ pain, all the tests and no answers.  I am new to the internet and this amazes me. I will be watching and waiting to see what anyone can find out. I was told by my General MD that any kind of chest pain can take months to quit hurting, altho he can't tell me what is causing it to start with. He's a great Dr., but just can't find the cause.
i'm still here, same old same old.
back to the hopital the evening of my last posting.
doc said scrap the zantac and i had a HIDA on friday.  the tech noted that i was functioning at 36% apparently 65% is about normal, but i have to wait for the official report to know just exactly what this means.
i received a phone call from my neurologist who wants to discuss the results of my electroencephalogram.
for those of you in similar situation, i will post the findings.
Kelley,

My HIDA showed 45% and I was told this was normal (maybe a little low).  From what I have read, anything greater than 35% is normal - at least my surgeon said he would not remove a gallbladder unless is was less than 35%.  I would hesitate to have my gallbladder removed, even if contraction is low, until I found out if something else was wrong.  I believe other conditions could affect the gallbladder, and if you cure that then the gallbladder would be fine.  Particularly muscular or neruological problems which could affect the gallbladder muscles.  Why remove an organ if that is not the problem?

Please let us know what the results of your neuro tests are.  

One question, have you been retested for thyroid problems?  You mention earlier that it was "a bit hyper".  Sometimes it is difficult to determine problems with only a TSH test.  If you haven't had it, a TSH and T4 test should be done and compared.  This is much more informative.

Good luck.
I was wondering if the pain in the ribs is more severe for anyone in the morning.  I am basically healthy-- 130lb, 5'5" female 19 yrs old.  It feels like my organs are all jostled or something and under my ribs hurts pretty bad for a few minutes some mornings.  I have to take several deep breaths and it goes away. I frequently have heart burn and gas, but I usually feel that in my lower abdomen.  Also, I think I have acid reflux because I can't hold down alcohol at all.  I mean a couple drinks and I have to haul it to the rest room to throw up.  I guess the fact that I am a hypochondriac and that I worry way too much may contribute to my problem?  Well, I hope our rib pains don't mean anything bad.  I'm actually feeling better since no one seems to have come up with a terrible diagnosis.  I hope we all feel better.  THANKS!
Have the same symptoms as many of you: pain URQ, feeling stuffed, pain at breastbone and right rib cage, pain going on through from breastbone to back as condition has evolved. Biggest complaint besides pain is the shortness of breath which can at times be extreme.

Today had upper GI to check out my self-diagnosis of hiatal hernia. Some of you have talked about burps. Until recently, my gas had always left the other end. Further, there is increased pain when I bend down from the waist.Realized I had been suffering from GERD which accounted for asthma I developed three years ago without any rational explanation by drs. Also helped explain severe jaw bone erosion for which I had oral surgery. My guess is that I have a hiatal hernia which has led to GERD - which I understand often preceeds a hiatal hernia.

Before I started to look into GERD and the hiatal hernia, my symptomology lined up with fibromyalgia. I have yet to rule out FM and the possibility that my gastro problems have been induced by pinched nerves resulting from compressed discs and osteoarthritis which some believe are caused by FM - on which most drs. have not handle. In addition to gastro problems, I typically awake with severe stiffness after my typical poor night's sleep.

I heard a southern CAl dr who had success in treating FM using an old tuberculosis treatment: guaifenesin, which is a mucous-thinning agent in many cough syrups. I obtained a big jar of this natural white powder and began to take it as recommended by dr. It seemed as though my joints and sense of well-being were improving. Unfortunately, it also seemed to cause pretty bad constipation which I could not afford due to other symptoms. The theory of this therapy is that it dissolves accretions of phosphates in various body tissues. The doctor claims there are many somewhat vague and problematic conditions which can be likewise treated. Anyone interested in this can search "guiafenesin" and "fibromyalgia" and find the Canadian source for the drugs.

If I ever get this gastro thing straightened out, I full intend to try the guafenesin again - because taking it along with glucosamine made my joints incredibly limber and within 5-6 days. Further, if my gastro thing has been the collateral result of pinched nerves due to osteo problems, I almost need to treat the FM as part of a larger approach.
I have read about guaifenesin but have not tried it.  There was a double blind study done in florida on guai for FM patients.  The results showed that it was not any more effective than a placebo.    I'm waiting for further studies.  Please keep in mind that without a double blind study, the treatment success is only anecdotal.  You should also realize, that only a small fraction of patients for any illness post to forums or write websites, so any information you read you need to consider carefully before you take their advice.  Most people who post have continuing problems or can't find a cure, etc.  You often see a lot of the bad but not tons of the good.

There is a doctor who is currently carrying out clinical trials on a medication for FM and hopefully he will publish these results soon.  He has some good information on his website.  The address is:

http://www.fibromyalgia.com/

For information on the double blind guai study, see:

http://www.geocities.com/~marilynk/bennett.htm
Hi folks,

Just talked to my surgeon who ordered the BE.  He said my colon was normal on the right side but that I do have diverticulosis on the left side.  He said that was not the cause of my pain and fatigue, but something I need to watch.  Also, he said my gallbladder is ok - low side of normal - if I have problems eating and ruq pain in the future to have it reevaluated.

Now the rest of my symptoms are still a question.  I am having my thyroid levels tested and will know the results on Monday.  I have also scheduled an appointment in May with the only doctor in town who believes in fibromyalgia.  I will keep you folks updated.
Can having gallbladder polyps make you gain weight?  Also, after you have the gallbladder removed can you lose weight?
Wow. I didn't know that there were so many people going through similar pain as me.  The way doctor's have made me feel is that the pain is in my head. Here is my story....

29 yr old female, 5'8", 140lbs, "runner"
appendectomy in 1988
abdominal pain off & on for about 7 years
strange "hiccup/burps" daily for about 7 years
small liver hemangioma found in 1998
laproscopy in 1998 - adhesions removed
H-Pylori positive test in 1999 - Prevpack treatment for 18 days

About 2 months ago, right after a bout with the 'flu', I noticed my finger nails turned yellow.  I called the nurse, she said to call back if any more symptoms showed up.  My eyes and skin turned yellow.  I still didn't go in until the pain in my RUQ.  It felt like a baby's foot was stuck under my rib cage.  My appetite was low.  I was very fatigued, sometimes disoriented, and dizzy.  I finally went in.  The doctor saw the obvious "yellow" signs and thought hepatitis.  He ran a full battery of blood and urine tests.  Thyroid, hepatitis A, B, C, CMV virus, Epstein Barr virus, bilirubin, lupus, etc... the only test that came back slightly abnormal was the Epstein Barr.  My titer was 640, but since one of the other titers came up low, it was not "diagnostic".  Baffled, my doctor sent me to a gastro specialist last week.  But, before my appointment, I was on a business trip to NC and broke out in a fine, red rash all over my abdomen.  I went to an urgent care facility, thinking shingles.  That doctor said that he thought I had problems with a clogged biliary duct.  He said that the gastro guy should pick up on it.  Unfortunately, the rash went away before my gastro appointment.  The gastro specialist ordered a scope and ultrasound.  The ultrasound came back okay.  The scope showed a hiatal hernia.  He put me on prevacid.  Which helps a little, but not really.  My energy level is up a little bit and I have run a couple of times, but I am scared that the fatigue will come back.  The abdominal pain in still in the RUQ radiating to the back and up my spine to my shoulder blade.  I am scheduled for a PIPIDA scan next Tuesday (4/25).  (WHAT IS THIS??  WHAT CAN I EXPECT?? I think it is the same as the Hida scan with a different dye) I am also scheduled to see an infectious disease specialist later that same day.  

I have come to conclude that doctors do not know any more than we do.  In fact, we know more, because we understand our own bodies better than they do.

I am glad I found this site... Wish my doctors would find it too.

hey shelley, you and i sound like the same person...

neurologist just wanted me to come in so that she could say everything was normal - ***!  guess she can't very well bill if she doesn't book me for an appointment.  the fact that a neurologist is calling for a follow-up appointment apparently wouldn't have concerned her.

next step - more blood tests and rule out lupus

you were right greg, dr. doesn't want to remove the gallbladder until we have determined that it IS in fact the problem.

well done.
Well, my TSH test was normal.  I don't have other symptoms of thyroid problem, so I don't think I'll pursue that right now.  My dr. says most likely fibromyalgia.  Ugh, this pain is wearing me down.  My RUQ pain is mostly gone, occaisonally flares up.  I don't have any relation of this pain to food, so I'm sure it's not my gallbladder.  The shoulder/back pain and headaches are getting to me.  I am now taking some tricyclics for help with sleep and a seratonin/neurotonin reuptake inhibitor for anxiety.   This combination seems to help with Fibro.  I will try it out and see if I improve.  I have an appointment in early May with an osteopath in town who had more info on fibro.  I will let you know how it goes.
Well, my TSH test was normal.  I don't have other symptoms of thyroid problem, so I don't think I'll pursue that right now.  My dr. says most likely fibromyalgia.  Ugh, this pain is wearing me down.  My RUQ pain is mostly gone, occaisonally flares up.  I don't have any relation of this pain to food, so I'm sure it's not my gallbladder.  The shoulder/back pain and headaches are getting to me.  I am now taking some tricyclics for help with sleep and a seratonin/neurotonin reuptake inhibitor for anxiety and cognitive problems.   This combination seems to help with Fibro.  I will try it out and see if I improve.  I have an appointment in early May with an osteopath in town who has more info on fibro.  I will let you know how it goes.
i'm still awaitng the AHA blood test re:  lupus.
i have read quite a bit about this disease and i have hit on quite a lot of the symptoms.

it is the only disease that i have found (so far) that can link the hives, seizures, joint aches, raynaud's syndrome, and abdominal pains.

i understand that it is quite difficult to diagnose, but for those of you out there in similar situations it may be worth pursuing.

Pain under right rib and back. Some advice for those who think it is GI-related:

This is interesting and I extend my sympaties to all suffering from this pain. About four years ago I started getting severe but dull pain just under my right rib cage. (Even sore to the touch when fingers placed under bottom right rib.) The worst part is that it extends to the area of the back exactly across from the frontal pain and results in extreme back pain -- the same as if the back were injured and a muscle pulled. I have described it as being skewered by a spear that enters the front (just under the right rib) and comes out the back. Sometimes it is very debilitating and I just have to lay down, sometimes less severe.

The pain is episodic. But over time the episodes have lasted a little longer. (Have had it last night and today again.) In the past, I could get relief by just purging my meal or by doing an enema. Now , it seems, the pain is persistant even after using these technoques. I have thought that my system was just "backed up" and eating beyond capacity brought on the pain. That made me think that eating might be irritating an ulcer.

These events are always associated with these two things:

Missed bowel movement/consitipation the day or two before.
Always happens after eating. (During an episode, I become afraid to eat anything, since the pain can be so bad.)

Because it happens episodically (sometimes months apart) I have not saught medical help. Unless I were to be scanned during an episode, I know my doctor would just adhere to standard procedure, upper/lower GI, etc. with a big , "huh, don't see anything" at the end. I think that is shown to be true on this list.

Because it seems to be related to food, I have made the assumption that it is probably one of two gastrointestinal problems:

peptic ulcer or
spastic bowel (a problem my mother has had all her life)

Other things I experience that are not related in time, but could be contributing: burning acid indigestion that requires the use of "tums" and general body tension. I am also completely sensitive, and always have been, to certain drinks that give me a splitting, but temporary, gut ache when consumed (not the pain under the rib however). These include any alocholic beverage mixed with sweet pop or juice (a screwdriver or tequila sunrise or rum and coke just kill me -- I have to lay down until it subsides) and sometimes even certain juices alone (apple juice especially).

My feeling on the "upper right" pain is that my tense nature has caused either my stomach or colon to ulcerate or my colon to contract tightly so that I trap gas and experience intense gas pain. I believe that when we are tense, we contract the entire body. This would tend to tighten the colon as well and make it harder to maintain general colon health. It also affects cirulation, etc. I definitely think my problem is long term stress related.

I have found that consuming aloe vera juice does seem to be therapeutic and last summer after a long series of constipation and these terrible front/back aches I started on aloe vera and had a complete recovery that lasted for many months. I have fallen off the aloe and just had another relapse after several months of feeling good. This also followed a missed bowel movement and two days of constipation.

I am going back on aloe vera (Lily of the desert 99.7% pure juice not gel) and hope this helps again. I recommend the aloe approach for anyone who thinks their pain is food related (related to the bowel or stomach).

Also, I have found that in general, drinking large regular quantitites of distilled water helps too. I start each day with a quart (two pints). I think this has helped reduce the number of episodes and improved my bowel movements as well.

Ultimately, I feel the real key is to reduce stress/tension and I am trying to find the time/motivation I need to get back on a regular aerobic excercise, stretching and meditation routine. Tai Chi helped me relax tremendously in the past, but it has been hard to find the time since having children, buying a house, etc. I feel however that this is the real answer to eliminating this problem and cleaning out my system. I've been there (relaxed and at peace) before and plan to get back. Meanwhile, this thing really hurts.

My best to you all.  -CBF
I have been taking Effexor (75 mg) in the morning and Elavil (20-30 mg) at bedtime for about a month now.  I have been getting mild excercise (swimming) nearly every day and am taking Vit. C, E, B, calcium, magnesium.

Concentration (brain fog) improved 90%
Anxiety improved 90%
Pain improved 70%
Fatigue improved 60%
Sleeping much better
IBS 70% improved (increased fiber)

If it's fibromyalgia, it is getting better.  I often wonder if I have shingles which did not give a rash.  Anyway, I think most of my improvement comes from eating better and sleeping better (elavil).
I  have all the problems right side pain under ribs . I can not
get any releaf. Doctors are not helpful
Here is my two cents.

Persistent pressure, like a hand going around the inside of my lower right front ribcage, grabbing the two ribs that attach to the bottom of the sternum.  Minor pain on occasion, not big deal.  Gets worse, like a side ache from running when I walk a lot.  

Started with back pain last summer, around the right kidney.  IVP normal.

Back still hurts on occasion.

Liver not enlarged,

Blood work, ultra-sound, chest x-ray - all normal.

Had a lot of gas during ultra-sound.  Tech said it was tough to look around, but all normal.

I have two theories:

Muscular / skeleton:  Bought a new truck with a different type of seat in it prior symptoms starting.  Could be a alignment issue with my back and/or ribs.

Excessive gas:  I drink too much coffee, not enough fiber.

I need some one to reassure me that it is not cancer.  My thoughts are that a tumor would show in the chest and ultra-sound, and/or into he blood work.  Am I wrong here?

Please e-mail me at ***@**** [remove one of the y's to spam proof]  if you've got any ideas.

Steve
For all those people out there who are suffering from RUQ discomfort.  If it's something that is fairly constant (i.e.not just happening after meals) try asking your doctor about "costochondritis".
I have the same symptoms as many of you - feeling like I have a grapefruit under the ribs, sore ribs on the right side, feeling really uncomfortable with tight waistbands etc - and, having had liver etc checked out, my doctor told me I probably have an inflammation of the cartilege connected to the ribs on the right side.  This causes referred "pain" which runs round to my back and is worse when I sit than when I walk around.
I carry a lot of stuff around for my job and it's possible that I injured this area a while back and it just keeps getting irritated every time I lift something heavy or wear anything that presses on it,like panty hose or a skirt or pants with a waistband. It's now a chronic condition but not life-threatening.
There's not a lot you can do, expect to avoid lifting heavy things, take ibuprofen and avoid stress (which makes it worse). However, it's a relief to know what's causing it - she said that most of her patients present with pain in the chest, side or abdomen when they have this condition and that it is fairly common.  I hope this may help some of you.
Boy this costochondritis sounds like ti might be it.  Almost dropped in on a Chyroprator today to get his opinion...

Steve
More on Aloe Vera.

Since my last post, I have found that Aloe Vera Juice taken orally has indeed provided relief. During an episode the same day of my post, I got relief in -- not kidding -- 10 minutes. This was the first time I'd tried Aloe Vera during the RUQ pain. It is the only thing that has ever given me this relief. Of course, it could have been a coincidence -- but I have not had the pain again since being back on Aloe.

I started searching the Web for info and came across this site:

http://www.aloe-vera.org/

Note these quotes:

"Dr. Lee Cowden (Dallas, Texas) observed that several conditions benefit when treated by oral consumption of Aloe Vera.  They include:  irritable bowl syndrome, ulcerative colitis, esophagitis, peptic ulcer, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, mouth lesions, sore throat, and lupus."

"Eases Intestinal Problems

Aloe vera juice can be effective for treating inflammatory bowel disease, according to a study in the Journal of Alternative Medicine.  Ten patients were given two ounces of aloe juice, three times daily, for seven days.  After one week, all patients were cured of diarrhea, four had improved bowel regularity, and three reported increased energy.

Researchers concluded that aloe was able to rebalance the intestines by "regulating gastrointestinal pH while improving gastrointestinal motility, increasing stool specific gravity, and reducing populations of certain fecal microorganisms, including yeast."  Other studies have shown that aloe vera juice helps to detoxify the bowel, neutralize stomach acidity, and relieve constipation and gastric ulcers."

Again, I'm taking:

Lily of the desert 99.7% pure juice not gel. I found the Gel kind of gross and it doesn't mix well in liquid. I generally add the stuff to water since it is kind of bitter or weird tasting. But I've actually grown used to the taste now and it's almost refreshing in a strange, medicinal sort of way!

I would urge all who are certain their problem is GI-related to give Aloe Vera juice a try. If you do -- report back here!

Good luck!

Wow!  Kindred spirits unite!  I
Lori,

One theory I have for my ruq rib  pain is simply being overweight.  I feel that my weight (was 295, now 270) was putting undue strain on the ligaments in my lower rib cage.  Since losing 25 pounds, I have had very little ruq rib pain.  All my other pains are still there off and on, probaly due to the fibromyalgia.  I am trying to lose more in hopes my back pains will diminish.  I feel all this weight I'm carrying around puts strain on my muscles and ligaments.  If you can lose weight, do it!  I guarantee you will feel better, regardless if your pain goes away.  I have been eating "sensibly".  I have tried all the low fat diets, etc, without success.  I finally realized that I was eating way to much carbohydrates.  While I don't go off the deep end all the way to the Atkins diet plan, I have resrticed the sugars, fruits, pastas, rice, potatoes and filled up on vegies and proteins.  I usually eat some carbs, but not at the same time as fat and protein.  I don't bother with low fat, i just don't mix it with carbs.  I try to keep high carb foods in a different meal from protein/fats.   that is, I will eat carbs if everything is lowfat.  (carbs and vegies, or protein/fat and vegies but never carbs and fat/protein).  It seems to be working.  Increasing my fiber has also helped in my weight loss.

My motto is moderation in everything!  I hope you can find relief from your pain.
Lori,

Lori,

Greg, I think you really found something with the fibromyalgia. At first I wasn't sure, because my joint pains didn't seem to fit the profile exactly, but since then, I have developed a classic FM symptom of someone just touching my shoulder or hip and it flaring up into a fairly intense, but thankfully brief, pain. Nothing too horrible, but very unexpected each time it happens--feels like I really hurt myself when all that was done was someone put a hand on my shoulder. sometimes all i have to do is shift my position when sitting or laying down and my hip flares up. it is uncomfortable, but much preferable to the ruq pain.

my energy levels have gone way up since i have been eating more protein and less carbs. i can't eat a carb meal by itself; i have to eat with protein or i get easily tired. i am hoping by losing more weight it will get better.

my ruq pain is a lot less often now; i am staying unstessed and it help tremendously. my joint pain is probably here to stay, unfortunately. when i get a break in my schedule, i will see a rhumatologist to see if she can help at all.

interesting side note: for the past few weeks I hadn't been able to eat anything; water would make me feel indigestion and after eating I would still feel full several, several hours later. at first i figured it was just part of the overall problem. but now i have decided that was due to the incredible amount of prilosec my dr had me on. I am now taking 40 mgs only every 3 days or so (when my reflux starts to flare up) and now i can eat again! no more overfull feeling. I'm guessing that's it's kind of hard for your stomach to digest food if there is no stomach acid. there has to be some, right? and my prilosec dose was so high that i doubt there was any acid in my stomach at all. I am hoping to go off the prilosec entirely, since it never really helped with the pain i originally had in the first place. but i am taking it slow, since i now have a more prominent acid reflux problem that before (when i started on the prilosec, i wasn't experiencing any noticable reflux; jus the mystery pain). so we'll see how that goes. So watch for side effects--they canbe worse than the disease, sometimes!!

anyone with joint pain: i have been warned that I should see a doctor as soon as possible for this, because you don't want your joints to be irreversibly damaged. no guarantee that anything can be done, but they may be able to help keep damage to a minimum, who knows? I'll know more once i can get to a doctor that believes there's more wrong with me that just stress.

I have just moved from my old, ratty apartment to a beautiful townhome, and even though stress of moving is supposed to be high, I haven't felt this good in a year. I still wonder how much my old apartment affected my illness. I think it's important to pay attention to environmental factors.

my memory is not what it used to be; I assumed it was due to the anesthesia used during my gall bladder surgery almost 2 yrs ago--i figured it killed too many brain cells. people in my family are affected badly by anesthesia in that way. but maybe it's related to this??

I wish i knew what this was! I wish FM was a more concrete disease rather than a collection of symptoms tied together with a name and no know cause or cure. But at least i am feeling better for the time being. I may try glucosamine for the joints, but i may see the rheumatologist first, and read up a little more on it. I don't like to self-medicate with "natural" or remedies or strane suppliments. there are plenty of things that are natural that are bad for you. why don't people realize this? However, i am up for trying anything that has been proven to not harm people. even if the studies show it may not help, the chance that you may be the one in a thousand it does is worth it, as long as it doesn't damage you more. (and as long as it isn't some snake oil you're paying big bucks for!)

i wish i had more research to report, but i have been so busy with moving and my business that i have had to cancel several dr appointments. i hate doing that, but I haven't been feeling as bad lately. and my insurance has some stupid stipulations about where i can go to the dr unless I want to pay out big bucks, so I have to go to miami which is 1 1/2 hrs away, and it is hard to get away, esp. with the baby, too. I'm hoping now that the moivng is all taken care of and I have people helping me out with work I can get the treatment i need, if i can just convince the drs there really is something wrong with me. we'll see.

good luck to you all. I hope you can at least get into a comfortable place in your sickness like I am in right now. i hope it doesn't get worse. Hang in there!
Greg I too am having a very similar pain undiagnosed.  It has ended me up in the Er and I am usually given iv fluids meds and sent home.  I HAVE had two Hida scans and they have only shown that my gall bladder is small.  I too am scared of cancer.  My blood work shows slightly low lymphocytes and elevated neutrophils.  My feet and ankles swell up to the size of buicks at night and I have severe panic attacks when I have acute attacks of the pain.  Your description of the softball is my "norm" and when in full attack it feels like someone is squeezing me.  I have also had an ultrasound which is negative.
There is definately something wrong but I am having a difficult time getting someone to give it a name so I can get it fixed.
I never knew there were so many others with the same undiagnosed pain.  I've been poked, prodded, and scoped numerous times and still have no clue as to why I feel a "fist under my ribs".  The pain is still there, but at least now that I've found this forum I don't feel like a nut case any more!

Good luck to everyone...hope your pain goes away soon.
May 99, experienced pain in URQ.  By August 99 had ultrasound, endoscopy, colonoscopy, small intestine exray and hydrascan.  Hydrascan test suggested my gallbladder was inflamed.  Had gallbaldder removed on August 2,99.  Pain went away.  Good news for about a month.

Suddenly become terribly constipated.  Pain in URQ returned.  IG specialists didn't know what to do, "There is nothing wrong with you that I can tell".  Went to Mayo Clinic.  Repreated endoscopy, colonoscopy and small intestine exray.  Diagnosis, constipation is causing the problem.  Place me on Fibercon laxative.  Constipation continued and pain continued.  Had been on a small dose(10mg) of Sinequan to help in sleeping for about 15 years.  Internist suggested that I discontinue taking Sinequan since its side effects were constipation.  Discontinued taking Sinequan.  Constipation disappeared in a week and the pain went away in another week.  Good news for 3 months.

Took a 10 hour car trip.  When I returned home, my back hurt.  Went to the chirporactor and had several adjustments.  Adjustments did not cure the problem so I decided to go to my internist.  Prescribed physical therapy and gave me some samples of Vioxx to take to reduce the muscle inflamation (inflammation).  Within 2 hours of taking the first Vioxx pill, my digestive system in RUQ hurt more than my back. When the pain did not go away after a week, I returned to the internists and was prescribed Carafate.  Pain got a little better but the pain did not go away.

Have had an infected prostitate for 22 years.  Have been on antibiotic for the chronic infection on an off through out that period.  Since taking Vioxx, have not been able to take any antibiotic for the infection because the reaction in pain is worse than the prostate pain.

This week I have a sonogram to test for bile duct problem.  Thus, I have had URQ discomfort/pain almost continuously for over a year.

Have lost 15 pounds throughout this process.  The quality of life isn't much.  Numb leg and pains in the back.  Prostate hurts so much I can't sit and can't sleep at night due to the pain in URQ.
I have fiberomyalgia and the deep sleep to help the chemicals from your brain to be released. The only medicine that helps is anitriplein(Spelling may not be right). It is a small pill and I take one fourth of it or I sleep two days. The other problem that I have is swallowing and the University at Conway, AR did a study on that. Remember that your body is made of White fibers and they are through out your body. You can hurt anywhere and it is like a body tooth ache.
  The other problem that I want to ask about is my daughter. She is thirty-four and is suffering from terrible low blood sugar, but she sufferes  from dizziness to the point of passing out. They did a blood test and found the pancreas count to be 140. She was put through a cats scan and it showed nothing. She is still having the problem and her work is very demanding. Have any of you heard of anything like this. She eats protein to keep her blood surgar at a reasonable, but it hasn't improved. Any help will be appreciated.
Hi folks,

It's been a while since I've updated you.  I have been taking Guaifenisin for 6 weeks now.  I have not had any change in my fibromyaltgia symptoms.  I have increased my dose to 1200 mg twice daily.  I don't think it is doing anything.  My pain varied from day to day, but it is worse if I strain my muscles or get very little sleep.

I also went in for a sleep study.  I found out I have moderate sleep apnea.  This is what is causing my terrible fatigue and cognitive problems.  I will be tested with a cpap (device to help me breathe at night) next week.  My fatigue and pain should improve dramatically when I treat the apnea.

--Greg
I have pains on my right side like a buring and stabbing and feel sick to the stomach on a regular basis.  My liver and gallbladder test was abnormal.
Hi all I sympathize, I have read most of the replies. I have had and still have similiar and the same pains and symtoms (symptoms). I have had them now for 10 years each year they come and go. I went to many Drs. They could not find anything really wrong reflux and gas. Well about 3 years ago a general surgeon told me I had ulcers he did an endoscopy and sure enough on the right and left of my stomach and hi and low. they were peptic and duedodnol(forgive the spelling). Anyway they have caused havoc in my body for years. He said they will come and go and that I have alot of scare tissue from years past. They are not bacterial and he said change my lifestyle Ha easier said then done. I have the pain on the right side going around the back like someone is in there pinching, I have the shortness of breath I have a tough time yawning sometimes and that is real annoying. I found mylanta and aloe vera juice give me some relief.Hope this helps some of you oh I thought many times I was having a heart attack especially driving very difficult.I wish you all well.
If you think you know what the typical symptoms of gallstones are, please share this.  I can't get my HMO to take my symptoms seriously enough to schedule a test now.  I'm in pain when I eat the recommended diet and in agony if I vary one smidge.
you did not give me a chance to respond to your last question, did this information help.  they were case studies of patients experiencing upper g i complications.  i am pacifically looking for medical and technical information about complication, symptoms and problems associated with pancretities due to surg. procedures.  thank you for trying
I have been having the same symptoms for 2 years now.  I am a 32 year old female, not overweight, eat healthy and exercise, but I do smoke.  Symptoms started after my birth of my second child and tubal ligation.  I have been to the emergency room several times and to every doctor that you can imagine.  My pains is always with me, worse after eating, and worse during my menstrual cycle.  Pain is in mid back, chest, under right ribs, get tremendous headaches and the pain radiates to right shoulder blade too.  Each one tells me that I am healthy as a horse and there is nothing wrong with me.  I quit taking all prescribed medicines they were giving me, they weren't working.  I also gave up on all doctors.  After each test, they would end up telling me that the pain was all in my head, and would give me sedative medications.  I am not crazy and I sure don't want to feel like this the rest of my life!  Of course, I did not take such medications either.  I tried several things at the health food store.  The only thing that CONTROLS my pain to a minimum, so I can live my life through less aggravation is Horsetail Extract.  I take 1 with breakfast, 1 with lunch, and 1/2 at dinner.  This is good for hair, muscles, nails, skin, etc.  It was hard at first to quit taking all the prescribed antacids, but after a week or 2, I could eat what I wanted again and my back pain is not as severe.  It only worsens still during my menstrual cycle.  I can live with the severe pain once a month rather than every day.  It was really taking a toll on my family and marriage for a while, so I took charge of my life again!  I hope the same thing might be able to help some of you until these so called doctors come up with an answer!  If anyone would like to talk with me, e-mail:  ***@****.

Karen
I am glad to have finally found this area.

Five years ago I had a pain under my right rib, like a stitch. It didn't seem to relate to food, but I had u/s of the gallbladder and abdomen and all were normal.  Blood has been normal. I became pregnant at some point, I forget whether before or after the pain left, and didn't feel it throughout of after the pregnancy.

I had a miscarriage this past April and two weeks after, the pain returned. I thought it was connected to a heavy meal at Friendly's but again, it now seems to come and go unrelated to food. I had another ultrasound, normal again.

The pain had begun to wane, my one doctor told me I may just have a "sensitive spot" and the other told me that sometimes people get sensitivy where the muscle attaches to the "floating rib"...this sound like the costochondrosis (sp) someone mentioned. That was helpful, thanks for posting. In fact, when I had the ultrasound, I actually felt pain when the ball rolled over the ribs, but none when it rolled over the abdominal area. I can press on my ribs and feel the pain. Mine doesn't usually radiate to the back, and it is concentrated on the lower rib, and only the right side. Sometimes I do feel it in my side.

I believe the first time I had it, it hurt for about four months and then resolved on its own.

I am concerned because I find myself pregnant again and the pain seems to be worsening rather than continuing to improve.  It is more of a superficial than an internal pain, though being full aggravates it, I assume because of the pressure from within. I just want to be sure that it is nothing serious. I am worried because I can't have all these tests not that I am pregnant, and with seven months to go and grow ... I am afraid of what will become of these ribs!  (Morning sickness and vomiting is not helping the ribs much either, sorry to say)

I am seeing my OB tomorrow for another prenatal visit and will definitely get her idea of this symptom.  It is comforting to hear that I am not the only one. Sometimes it seems like such a freak thing to have.

i too experienced sharp pain under my right ribs about 3 weeks ago. without any symptoms i suddenly felt the pain when i was bending down(about 90 degrees)to the right side to pick up my book. at first i thought i had a spasm of the back muscles because i used too...but somehow the pain is rather unusual than spasm. at first i do not know exactly where the pain was because i seem to feel it all over the back on the right side. then one day when i lay on my left side and i took a deep breath the pain suddenly worsen in one particular spot. i tried to locate the spot by pressing my ribs with fingers and i found that spot.the funny thing is that i don't feel the pain when i was in different position. although the pain has subside a little nowadays but if i pressed that spot it was still there...a sharp pain radiate to the back. i wonder what was wrong...and i have been for a pre-employment medical check-up including chest x-ray taken.the report shows nothing is wrong except for the x-ray....the result is not out yet.i m just 21 years old and i hope i do not hav any serious illness like lung cancer. i do not smoke and i hope i will recover very soon!!
that doesn't sound like lung cancer - and a chest xray won't pick up a gallbladder/abdominal problem anyway.

You may have just stretched a muscle. Maybe if you give it a couple more weeks you will be fine.

If you lie on your back and press under your right rib while yu are sucking in, does that hurt? That is a classic gallbladder test, as I understand it.

Good luck with the job!
I can't believe what I have been reading on this forum!  All of these symptoms are what I have been experiencing since the birth of my second child, 7 weeks ago.  I too have had blood tests, ultrasounds, xrays all normal.  I have not yet been subjected to the other battery of tests that you all have gone through, but I go to see a specialist in two weeks for an anoscope because of some rectal bleeding.  I am scared to think of what could be the cause of all this mess inside of me, but after reading all of your postings it may end up being nothing severe such as cancer.  I am only 27 years old with a young family and a new baby to boot and this pain really puts a damper on what should be a joyous part of my life.  The pain on my right side is quite sharp and annoying and often radiates to my back and upper shoulders.  I know it cannot be my gall bladder because that was removed in 1998 and all has been fine for the past two years.  The pain under the ribs is also there and very sensitive to touch
and sometimes feels like the is something in there twisting the ligaments or something!  Also this morning I experienced some very bad tightness in my chest which was relieved after forcing myself to burp a couple of times.  These symptoms are all very strange, so if anyone can offer some friendly advice, please comment or e-mail me at ***@****

Thanks.  Angela
This is kinda long - sorry.  

I'm curious if I have 2 things going on at the same time or if everything is related.  My symptoms are many and I don't seem to fit into any category of illness.  I am just begining my testing - chest x-ray and blood work done & both normal.  My complaints are:

Chest pain in upper right chest (between top 2 ribs) close to the sternum.  Primarily a sharp stab if I inhale too deeply.  Sometimes radiates to my armpit or down my right arm.  Doctor diagnosed pleurisy and put me on anti-inflammatorys which have not helped.  Will be going back in 3 days for a follow up.  

Other symptoms are:
stomach contractions
adreanalin rush (or some other hormone - can feel the rush)
pain/pressure behind sternum (sometimes feels like I'm bruised)
bloated with gas (pants are too tight)
heartburn sometimes
belching
flatuence
shortness of breath
sometimes mucous in my throat that I can't swallow
my blood pressure was high at last dr visit (pain related?)
yes - stress makes things worse

I get back and neck pain in the upper right side but I'm not sure if that's just related to the way I sit at work???

Not sure if these are related - psoriosis (psoriasis) and memory problems but I have these too.

Any ideas of what the heck is wrong with me?  Anyone else have similar symptoms?

PS - I'm 5'1", 130 lbs, and 32 year old female.

Alot of people I know found leaving aspartane alone gave them a whole new outlook on life.Many pops and other products too numerous to mention contain the same.Even a favorite chewing gum has it in.Look for aspartane on the net and read for yourself about the comments people like us are telling about.Good Luck!    Seeing is believing.
hello all.
i am a newbie to this site and have read most of the comments. I want to share with you my experience.
I am 26 yrs old and last summer i went thru a 2 month stretch of loose stool...so they did all the tests. no bacteria, no parasite. My GP sent me to the GI specialist to rule out Crohns disease. They came up with IBS of course. No caffine, no milk products and I have even tried no wheat and aloe pills. Still I have severe pain on my right side where my small bowls are located. I still have loose stool every morning and I can't even make it to work without stopping.
Believe it or not I even tried Acupuncture for a while since my stress level seemed to increase with the pain. It got to expensive to keep going but it did help a bit (herbals etc.) I am soooo tired and in pain most of the time and i really hate not being able to eat anymore.
I fell that you all share this pain with me in some way and hope that my comments add to the conversation just a bit. At least to help me vent!
Thanks for having this page:)
Best of luck to you all and I hope I can tell you more sometime soon.
Tania
Greg C.
I have been having the same symptoms as you for 25 years and the doctors don't seem to want to listen and keep telling me it's all in my head. But in actuality it is under my right ribs and I hurl everytime I eat anything. I hold down a full time job, go to school at night (2-3 nights) working on my BS in management and have my own business on the side and this keeps me from thinking about how bad and tired I really do feel. Before I was so busy I stayed at home and thought about how I felt but staying busy somehow makes it more manageable.  I also have fatigue and have fallen asleep driving.  Had sleep studies and it found within 3 hours of sleep I quit breathing 182 times and only get to level one of sleep. Blood tests show B12 normal,thyroid normal, hgb 9,ferritin 3, iron 3.  I am scheduled for a hidascan tomorrow, endoscopy in 3 days.  Sure hope they find some cause for all of the symptoms so all of us can get some releif.
E-Mail me at ***@****
Good luck with your search.
This site has finally reassuredme that I am notlosing my mind(although, I am n ot sure all my family/friends would agree.

My story:

45 yrs old, 30lbs overweight.

Had a lupectomy to remove 2 breast lumps on 5/3(benign). Period due sameday, never got it, 6/3 began bleeding and did so for 8 days straight, flooding, extreme pelvis pain in right side ( i thought it was ols scar tissue from c-sections aggrevated by heavy bleeding.  went to gyn, uterine biopsy, pap, 2 pelvic ultra sounds, normal, blood work, hormones normal.  7/14 severe lower ab pain went togyn, ruled out appendicts, suggested surgery PID.  8/14 laporoscopic surgery, few adhesions, D&C, basically useless surgery.  Laporscopic surgery does give tremendous gass, could it stay trapped?

My stomach became extremely distended in July & it still goes up and down, scares me to death it gets so big.  2 weeks ago started having URQ pain under rib cage, burning, intense, not so intense, comes and goes, but area stays tender all the time, even hurts went I lean down on the right side. Went back to gyn for post op and he said sounds like gallbladder (which of course was what I was already thinking).  Called GP he was out and saw some idiot who sent me fora Ultrasound of Gallbladder and kidneys.  I say idiot because he told me I had blood in my urine, i tried to explain that i had eaten nothing but beets for 2 days(heard that helped with GB). Beets will discolor your urine and sstool.  Urine culture, normal, US normal. Tuesday my doc returns and I m sure he will order every test imaginable.

I feel asthough ihave been living this nightmare for 6 mths with the breast lumps starting all this.

Interestingly. my gyn said that generalanesthesia can trigger gb problems, I have had 2 surgeries in 2 months.????  i think they all just guess at our expense.

I am also a total alarmist when it comes to health problems,and I am having terrible anxiety/panic. thank god for xanax or would have been in the emergency room over and over again.

The only thing know for sure is that I have had a tremendous amount of personal stress over the past 6 mths and I emphasize tremendous!!!!

Could that be the reason for all of this? I welcome any help, I'm scared and tired.  ***@**** (e-mail address)

I have just begun applying castor oil packs (per edgar cayce) over my liver area three times a week.  He also recommends 3 teaspoons of olive oil a day and spinal adjustments).  I'll try anything.

Good luck to everyone!!

Diane

My story:

45 yrs old, 30lbs overweight.

Good luck to everyone!!

Diane
To Greg C and anyone else who suspects or has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia:

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia on January 18, 2000.  I was both shocked and relieved, not what I expected but finally an answer to my pain.  Symptoms: GI [diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and pains, gallbladder removed in 1997], GU [frequency of urination], Vulvodynia, skin disorders and rashes, memory problems, difficulty reading/concentrating/writing, sensory and nerve problems, tooth aches and pains, pain all over my body esp lower back, upper back, ribs, sternum and chest, panic/anxiety attacks, heart palpitations, sweating, numbness, difficulty swallowing, extreme fatigue, insomnia, etc., etc., etc.

At first I decided to combat the pain with a pain management doctor.  I began this immediately after I found out my diagnosis.  The pain was excruciating at times.  This worked at first but later I found something else which worked better.  I also took antidepressants to help the insomnia.

A week after the diagnosis I discovered what I now call my lifesaver, Dr. St. Amand's book, _What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia_.  I read the book and began his recommended diet immediately.  It was difficult at first but after 10 days I noticed a big change.  NO MORE PANIC/ANXIETY ATTACKS!  No more heart palpitations two hours after eating.  My fatigue was cut in half!  The added plus, I started to lose weight.  I began the diet on January 23, 2000 and have lost over 60 pounds so far.  This diet is for carbohydrate intolerance and hypoglycemia.  I soon accepted I have severe hypoglycemia.

I waited until March 10 to begin the second part of Dr. St. Amand's treatment plan, Guaifenesin or GUAI for short.  I was somewhat skeptical but had quick results which took away any concerns that this was some placebo.  Within 10 days my back was completely flexible.  I hadn't been able to bend over without pain in so long I didn't realize what a relief it would be.  Flexibility is definitely something I took for granted.  My pain level was decreased by half within 2 months.

My maintenance dose of GUAI is very low considering what many others have to take and for that I am thankful.  I have had steady improvement of my symptoms.  My symptoms are no longer getting worse and more plentiful rather they have lessened and I feel better.  I still do have some pains here and there.  Now at least I will not have more and more and worse and worse everyday and never know what will hurt, when.   I hated the feeling that my pain controlled my life.  I lived my life around my pain.  Not any more.  Every day I am able to do more and more.  I realize that taking GUAI is a long process toward complete healing but I have seen the results.  It works.

BTW I can read, concentrate and write again.  I didn't know how much these simple abilities were affected until I didn't have them.  I am finally returning to my love, rendering in colored pencils and I can do the work in *half* the time!  Finally I can focus on what I am drawing.

If you are already taking GUAI don't give up too soon.  It does work!  Try getting on the GUAI support list so you can learn about the protocol which must be followed for success.  Some people begin taking GUAI and don't know about certain things which block its effectiveness.  The book explains this and the support list also helps.

You can also find more info at:

http://www.guaidoc.com/

You can write to me to ask questions at:
mailto:***@****

Take care,
RK
To Greg C.:  I just found this site while looking for some answers to a mild chest/back pain very much like what I've read described here.  Many of your symptoms seem to be like mine, and I found it interesting that no doctor could make a definite diagnosis or effectively treat you so that this could be cleared up. (I've only seen my doctor once (last week), and she did chest x-rays-found nothing.)  The last entry in this forum is July 23.  Have you had any changes in treatment since then?  How are you now?
IT IS QUITE AMAZING ON HOW MANY OTHERS ARE SUFFERING OF THIS TYPE
More on the Costochondritis.  Since my last posting, where I mentioned the chronic Costochondritis I have, I had a bout of acute Costochondritis on my left side.  I had problems breathing, it really, really hurt to take a deep breath and when the doctor examined me, I just about fell off the examination table because my chest wall was so inflamed.  I got rid of that by taking 200mg of ibuprofen 3times a day with meals, using ice on the inflamed area and trying to get some rest for a few days.
The more chronic version on my right side sounds so much like what so many of you have.  It's not related to eating, but is made worse by sitting, wearing anything that presses on the bottom of my ribs (which are sore to the touch) or on my abdomen.  There are some Costochondritis support groups and forums - just search for "costochondritis support".  It's not the answer for everyone - clearly some people have gallbladder or other problems - but it is an interesting subject and explains a lot about how I feel most of the time.  It's made worse by stress and although I don't know what caused it, I can live with it, though it does get you down after a while.
HELP IS HERE!! You Will be shocked at the criminal acts, the cover ups, the fighting going on between those who know the truth and those making big money at putting this neurotoxin linked to GERD, Brain Lesions and more, in all of our convenience foods. Much like nicotine in cigarettes, it is addicting and increases sales. Food industry is adding it by the truck loads more and more each year as they discover the power it has over people and their profits.
Think you are safe because it says "NO MSG" on the can of soup?Think again. Their buddy the FDA is allowing it in foods under misleading names such as "Natural Flavors", "Spices", Hydrolyzed protein, yeast extract, citric acid and many more!! Get the list of these names from the website NOMSG.com Read what neuro surgeon Russell Blaylock has to say about its affects on your GI system, links to Brain lesions, pituitary damage, asthma, eczema, palpitations and so much more. "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills" was written by this very brave doctor who has taken on the big money industry of food additives. I am so relieved and so is my husband who also suffered migraines before discovering this info and acting to eliminate it from our diet. We now know where it hides. Once I would roll on the floor due
to so  much discomfort.  Beware of all fermented foods,
alcohol, vinegar, soy sauce. It is in all ketchup, salad
dressings, mayo, gum, soda, ice cream, frozen dinners, canned
spagetti sauce, tomato paste, It is back to everything homemade unless we can stop this practice.

Good Luck I hope this info helps you as it has me.
Hi there!

I found an old posting of yours on urq pain and wondering if you ever found what was causing it.  I am also emailing a copy of this to all the other people I can find on-line that have this problem.  If you have time, let me know if this has helped you with a return email to: ***@****  FYI:  I have had every test out there with
My pain started about a month after i had my baby.  It's a real bad pain right in the opening of the stomache.  I think that it is a symptom called gastritis and doctors in mexico call it la vecicula.  I don't even know who to believe and also to know what to take for the pain.  The pain is so bad sometimes that i have to move around and also i can't even breathe sometimes and i really hate it because my pain pills are not starting to work any more and i just don't know what to do anymore.  I really need help or find another treatment because this is really disturbing my life in school and with my beautiful baby.
The right upper quadrant burning pain under the right rib I've experienced seems to be associated with using regular milk in cereals.  This always was worse after that kind of breakfast.  I tried Lactaid milk and it significantly improved.  I worked in a doctor's office for four years under very stressful conditions. Had U/S for gallstones which was nornal.  That's when this all started. Stress secretes stomach acid.  Now, I have a less stressful job.  Was on antibiotics for dental work for three years and I think that caused a lot of imbalance in the bacterial flora of the gut.  Acidolphilus capsules help (kefir-a yogurt milk drink) is good too.  Try taking licorice capsules also as they coat the lining of the stomach.  Drink lots of water when you have these episodes and flush the acid away!! It will improve after 3-5 days of 8 big glasses a day. Chewing gum helps too.  Destress by relaxing more and listening to soothing music at bedtime. A flaxseed wrap warmed in the microwave helps also.
Zantac helps but is associated with palpitations.  A chewed calcium supplment is better.  Hope these hints help.  I know doctor's can make you more sick, cause worry and sometimes are just doing all these tests to make more money.
In March of 2000 woke up in the middle of the night with hunger pains.  The pains became pretty severe and I went to see the GP who diagnosed ulcers.  The GP gave me prilosec and maalox.  This helped about 50%.  Three months went by and the pain was still there.  Also noted very light colored stools and pain in my right side along with bloating.  In May of 2000 had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with gastritis.  The Gastroenterologist gave me Carafate which helped immensely.  Stopped taking the Prevacid and Maalox.  Still had side pain, bloating and still some stomach pain.  Had an Ultrasound in late May and was diagnosed with Gallstones.  Have 3-4 stone and each are 3-4millimeters in size. Started taking Actigall June 1, 2000.  As of now, 10-5-2000, stools have finally become darker colored again and currently am having less pain, almost non-existent in my right side.  However, stomach is still acting up, though Carafate helps.  Also have to take 125. mg. of Simethicone for the gas and bloating which helps tremendously.  December 1, 2000 will have another ultrasound to determine if Actigall is dissolving the stones.  Forgot to mention that I've lost 25 pounds on a low fat diet.  Discovered there is a direct connection between eating fat and pain in the right side.  Eat less than 40 grams of fat a day now.  Hoping to avoid removal of my gallbladder.  Good luck to all of you.
SEEMS I'M NOT ALONE.

MY DOCTOR SEEMS TO FEEL IT COULD BE MUSCLE IRRITATION. I'VE BEEN TO THE "ER" TOO MANY TIMES. THEY ALWAYS COME BACK WITH NORMAL TESTS RESULTS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I ALSO HAVE PROTIEN IN MY URINE. I'M 34 AND SINCE I TURNED 30 MY HEALTH HAS GONE DOWN HILL. I DO KNOW THIS; THE FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN IS DRIVING ME MAD.

***@****
I fell for all of you guys...

Check out this page... I hope it helps, if not all, at least some of you. The best to you all!

http://www.selfstudycenter.com/
To all, when you begin to say I HAVE this wrong and I have that wrong, By saying I HAVE you are claiming that thing for your self. You need just to say the doctor says not I.  the word of God says that Power of Life and death is in the tongue.(Proverbs 18- verse 21)You can say the doctor says I have this or that but Jesus says by his strips I am healed.We need to learn to work the word of God we need to know that Jesus already paid the price for our healing not we need to walk in it. in faith without doublt. 2 corinthians 5 verse 7 says: for we walk by faith not by sight. we need to look beyond what we see and know that we walk in the faith of God's healing power. Mark 11 verse 23 says: For verily I say unto you that whosoever ( which is You!) shall say unto this mountain (Problem, Disease,) be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall ( it doesnt say might or maybe it says shall) have whatsoever he saith. John 10:10 says the theif ( which is satan) cometh not, but to steal, and to kill and to destroy: I (Jesus) am come that they might have life and have it more abundantly. Jesus came to bring the Kingdom of God down to us that we walk in health. I will be prayer and I hope this has increased your faith! Faithbuilder_7 @ yahoo.com
well i had very bad pains under my ribs that went around my back it felt like someone was stabbing a knife in my back and turning i would have trouble breathing and double over with pain where i couldnt stand up.this went on after my 2 child and lasted for 3 years when it started getting worse i saw doctors alot of time and the told me it was a cold in my chest casing it down to yeast infections they kept giving me antibiotics.well finally i was pregnent and pains where getting worse i made sure i got to the emergancy room when i was in pain and my midewife said you know what i bet its your gallbladder my mother had the same problems before and set up a ultrasound and bingo i had maltiple gall stones from years of no body finding it i ask her way this got to be so bad and no other doctor found this sooner she said that unfortanlly its like a taboo in the medical field and it is very hard to get diagnosed.anyways after having my child one of the stone went into my pancreas and i all most died this is a serious problem if not taken care of .so if you are having these problems be persisten and get an ultrasound and make sure you find out what is the problem.and also alot of the times gallstones will give you problems when you eat fatty foods.and the stones get pushed out by whats called bil(not sure of spelling)and the stone gets stuck in the duck and everything backs up.well good luck to all hope you feel better.its painfull i enjoyed delivering my 3 children more then the pain
Hi all,
   This is kind of a relief to me like all of the rest of you.  Finally, people that know exactly the pain that I have been having since I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter.  I had my gall bladder removed after I had her (6 weeks later).  The major brunt of the pain disappeared but I still have what I would classify as quite a bit of pain in the same area.  I've been told 3 different things so far.  #1 is some condition called H-pylori. #2 is phantom pain from the gall bladder, #3 is a hiatal hernia.  I'm very anxious to figure it out.  I'm sure that it is not the H-pylori based on what I have read on it, but #3 is rather intriguing to me.
     Nevertheless, it seems as though the gall bladder sufferers who have had them removed are still having the problems, so could it be that #2 is the correct diagnosis?  I know people who have had limbs removed suffer from "phantom pains" on the side of the missing limb.  Has anyone else heard of this?

Karen
Thank you to all of you for being there.  I thought I was going crazy.  My story is long but here goes.

In early Sept. I was bit by a brown recluse spider was put on Cipro and a prednizone count down pack and Hydroxyzine. Got off of that and two weeks later had an abcessed tooth and was put on Penicillin for 10 days. Got off that on Thursday and was coming down with flu and Brochitis and on Friday was put on Keflex, cough med. and of course another count down pack. Next day was itching like crazy and was taken off keflex and was put on a new drug, Avelox..SEVERE allergic reaction and ended up in the ER for an IV treatment for rash etc. The ER DR. put me on more Prednizone (stronger dosage), Zantac, he said he liked to use that as a histimine blocker, and something else Radi..something.
Then had to go back to my regular Dr. and they put me on Augmentin and was told to finish up the rest of the other meds.
Next to the last day of the Augmentin, started having itching of the palms, inner ears and throat.  Told not to take the last couple of augmentin, but to take Hydroxyzine for the itching.
(It has been 2 weeks since I got off antibiotics and I am still having the itching off an on.)
The same day I had a funny feeling in the top of my stomach, just under the breast area like a full feeling. Then a burning feeling went to my ribs and my back on the right side. It keeps coming back everyday now for 2 weeks. I am afraid to eat anything because after 30 mins. to 4 hours it hits.
I tried mylanta and it seemed to make it worse. I was told the gallbladder bothers you mostly during the night. Mine seems to be anytime, but worse from about 9 to 11pm. I don't have nausea or vomiting. It feels like a burning or slight pinching. I feel like I need to burp and when I do it feels better. I don't have a feeling of a tight band yet.
I go back to the Dr. today at 3:30 just for a check up because on the allergic reactions that I had. I am going to mention this pain to Dr.
I'm really scared. I will tell you what they say and do for me.
Again, thank you for being there and listening to my story.
Pam

Pam

When all has been ruled out and you still have RUQ Pain, RUQ fullness feeling, with delayed HIDA scan, pain radiating to the back PLUS Other symptoms like Bell's palsy or twitching facial or elsewhere, stiff neck are all fairly classic symptoms of Lyme disease. These are all caused by nerves or nerve roots that are infected.  Some people will even have elevated liver enzymes with Lyme.  Most doctors are still ignorant of this greatly underdiagnosed disease.  
***@****
Well, I went to the Doctor and they set up the standard tests..Sonogram of total abdominal region and an Upper GI series and all came back normal.
The pain I have been having has all most gone completely.
The allergic reactions that I had to all of the meds I was on was my culprit, 4 antibiotics back to back and 3Prednazone count down packs and more! All in a matter of 2 months.
All of the meds messed up my system plus killed all of the bacteria that our bodies need.
I hope all of you can find the cause of your problems.
Remember some medications can cause this problem in the RUQ.
Best of luck to you all.
Pam
Leah ...I have had Bell's Palsy.  Not sure if there is a connection except poor immune system possibilities.  I have also had Lyme Disease, which may have brought on the BP.  I found this forum because of the pain I am having in the center of my chest right under the sternum (sp).  Sometimes mild and sometimes bad.  
I think my problem is GREATLY aggrivated by chocolate and coffee ... two of my favs!  (Throw in a little stress and I am up the wall) In fact I did a little experiment tonight with some Rocky Road Ice Cream.  The deep chocolate kind --Breyers.  Sure enough, about one hour later, I am in pain.  Same kind, same place, same intensity.  
One scary thing .... maybe some of you have had this too.  I get a "jolt" feeling that brings on moderate anxiety and a quick feeling of "let down"; like I took a punch on the inside.    
I had the upper GI, sonogram, ekg,  a few years ago with nothing remarkable except mild reflux.  Diagnosis was to lose some weight (which I finally did about three years ago and was symptom free.  I have gain it all back.  Go figure) and to use Gaviscon -- great stuff.
GREG
GREG
What is the answer to the above question please.
Comforting to read so many reports of swollen feeling just under ribs.  I first developed this 11 years ago after getting some kind of bug (undiagnosed) in India.  I went through 3 years of it coming and going along with mild digestive irregularities.  Recently I developed it again.  I had many of the tests listed by others.  Diet seems to have some impact, but not a lot.  It's unrelated to when I eat.  Recently I've had acupuncture and this is the only effective treatment I've found.  After two sessions and also some sessions of visualising a heathy 'flow' in my liver, the inflamed feeling went away for several weeks. It's now back following a business trip and much stress so I will return to acupuncturist.  The only thing I'd add is that it's worth finding a really good acupuncturist because if those needles don't produce a really deep ache when they put them in, they ain't working!
I had pain in my URQ for about a year.  Finally went to the doctor who sent me to get an ultrasound (after scaring the hell out of me with a cancer talk).  I found out that I have 2 large gallstones that take up about half of my gallbladder.  Now I have the prospect of surgery at Christmas.  Great.  I'm hoping this is all that's wrong and the surgery has no complications.  Good luck to everyone on finding a cause for their pain.

Do you have additional problems or increased pain when eating high fat ... or greasy foods? If so, then definitely push for the gallbladder screens first.  If your doctor won't do the test, then get a second opinion.  

Hpylori bacter  blood test first and formost I had same syptoms (symptoms), took three attempts to get my doctor to listen. Came back positive.Floored him. Most sypmtoms went away after treatment and a healing time period. Had my gal bladder out to but also had second bout of hpylori same symptons, went away after antibiotics.
take the blood Test !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch your diet keep track and map it with symptoms. If you eat a fatty meal and later you have pain it is probably your gall bladder. My mother took one flax seed oil caplet and had the same pain.I am sure she has a gall bladder problem.
28 years old.  I have had pain in my right side right under my ribs for about 2 weeks.  Vomiting and loose stool for about 3 weeks. I have lost 5 pounds since this has all started.  so my weight is down to 105.  I have had an ultrasound and blood work done and was all normal.  I am schuduled for a hidascan and do not know anything about it.  I am feeling the same as other people, that is very hard to descrip.
Hey, I'm having a hidascan tomorrow. I haven't felt good for about 3-4 weeks...I'm having pain and pressure in my chest that goes into my back between my shoulder blades and up my neck and have been running a low grade temp...I was told I have a sludgy gallbladder...the hidascan hopefully will show something I hope...I would push for a gallbladder ultrasound and hidascan...if nothing else it will rule it out. but it certainly sounds suspicious. Oh and the funny feeling you decribed, I know it well...good luck!
A related discussion, frustrated was started.
Good God how I can relate to all of you. All test negative, still in pain. Crazy symptoms but I'm not crazy!  How can we all be having so many of the same symptoms and nobody know what's wrong?!