RUQ pain - no diagnosis
Ok, maybe someone can give me a little insight into what to look for.  I have had pain under might right ribs extending into my back at times for three weeks. A little stomach upset, but only mild - no vomiting - a little loose stool which fiber helps.

34 years old - overweight (285)
Ultrasound - normal
Blood work - normal
CT scan - only indication is slightly enlarged spleen

Have been on Cipro for one week
Have taken flagyl for three days - just stopped because of side effects maybe from flagyl (headace, chills, stomach spasms).

Pain is not diminishing.

I'm thinking the gall bladder.  My doc is looking at diverticulitus, but my pain is in upper right quadrant, not the usual place for this.  I know he's going to try barium enema next.  Should I push for a hidascan?  Other things I should ask about?

I'm also concerned about potential for malignancies.  I smoked for 10 years and quit 5 years ago.  I haven't had any symptoms of lung cancer such as blood, or coughing - never the less, my body feels "funny".  It's hard to describe.  Not a good diagnostic description, I know.  It feels like a pressure - like a softball has been shoved inside my ribs and is pushing everything around.
Greg I too am having a very similar pain undiagnosed.  It has ended me up in the Er and I am usually given iv fluids meds and sent home.  I HAVE had two Hida scans and they have only shown that my gall bladder is small.  I too am scared of cancer.  My blood work shows slightly low lymphocytes and elevated neutrophils.  My feet and ankles swell up to the size of buicks at night and I have severe panic attacks when I have acute attacks of the pain.  Your description of the softball is my "norm" and when in full attack it feels like someone is squeezing me.  I have also had an ultrasound which is negative.
There is definately something wrong but I am having a difficult time getting someone to give it a name so I can get it fixed.
I never knew there were so many others with the same undiagnosed pain.  I've been poked, prodded, and scoped numerous times and still have no clue as to why I feel a "fist under my ribs".  The pain is still there, but at least now that I've found this forum I don't feel like a nut case any more!

Good luck to everyone...hope your pain goes away soon.
May 99, experienced pain in URQ.  By August 99 had ultrasound, endoscopy, colonoscopy, small intestine exray and hydrascan.  Hydrascan test suggested my gallbladder was inflamed.  Had gallbaldder removed on August 2,99.  Pain went away.  Good news for about a month.

Suddenly become terribly constipated.  Pain in URQ returned.  IG specialists didn't know what to do, "There is nothing wrong with you that I can tell".  Went to Mayo Clinic.  Repreated endoscopy, colonoscopy and small intestine exray.  Diagnosis, constipation is causing the problem.  Place me on Fibercon laxative.  Constipation continued and pain continued.  Had been on a small dose(10mg) of Sinequan to help in sleeping for about 15 years.  Internist suggested that I discontinue taking Sinequan since its side effects were constipation.  Discontinued taking Sinequan.  Constipation disappeared in a week and the pain went away in another week.  Good news for 3 months.

Took a 10 hour car trip.  When I returned home, my back hurt.  Went to the chirporactor and had several adjustments.  Adjustments did not cure the problem so I decided to go to my internist.  Prescribed physical therapy and gave me some samples of Vioxx to take to reduce the muscle inflamation.  Within 2 hours of taking the first Vioxx pill, my digestive system in RUQ hurt more than my back. When the pain did not go away after a week, I returned to the internists and was prescribed Carafate.  Pain got a little better but the pain did not go away.

Have had an infected prostitate for 22 years.  Have been on antibiotic for the chronic infection on an off through out that period.  Since taking Vioxx, have not been able to take any antibiotic for the infection because the reaction in pain is worse than the prostate pain.

This week I have a sonogram to test for bile duct problem.  Thus, I have had URQ discomfort/pain almost continuously for over a year.

Have lost 15 pounds throughout this process.  The quality of life isn't much.  Numb leg and pains in the back.  Prostate hurts so much I can't sit and can't sleep at night due to the pain in URQ.
I have fiberomyalgia and the deep sleep to help the chemicals from your brain to be released. The only medicine that helps is anitriplein(Spelling may not be right). It is a small pill and I take one fourth of it or I sleep two days. The other problem that I have is swallowing and the University at Conway, AR did a study on that. Remember that your body is made of White fibers and they are through out your body. You can hurt anywhere and it is like a body tooth ache.
  The other problem that I want to ask about is my daughter. She is thirty-four and is suffering from terrible low blood sugar, but she sufferes  from dizziness to the point of passing out. They did a blood test and found the pancreas count to be 140. She was put through a cats scan and it showed nothing. She is still having the problem and her work is very demanding. Have any of you heard of anything like this. She eats protein to keep her blood surgar at a reasonable, but it hasn't improved. Any help will be appreciated.
Hi folks,

It's been a while since I've updated you.  I have been taking Guaifenisin for 6 weeks now.  I have not had any change in my fibromyaltgia symptoms.  I have increased my dose to 1200 mg twice daily.  I don't think it is doing anything.  My pain varied from day to day, but it is worse if I strain my muscles or get very little sleep.

I also went in for a sleep study.  I found out I have moderate sleep apnea.  This is what is causing my terrible fatigue and cognitive problems.  I will be tested with a cpap (device to help me breathe at night) next week.  My fatigue and pain should improve dramatically when I treat the apnea.

--Greg
I have pains on my right side like a buring and stabbing and feel sick to the stomach on a regular basis.  My liver and gallbladder test was abnormal.
Hi all I sympathize, I have read most of the replies. I have had and still have similiar and the same pains and symtoms. I have had them now for 10 years each year they come and go. I went to many Drs. They could not find anything really wrong reflux and gas. Well about 3 years ago a general surgeon told me I had ulcers he did an endoscopy and sure enough on the right and left of my stomach and hi and low. they were peptic and duedodnol(forgive the spelling). Anyway they have caused havoc in my body for years. He said they will come and go and that I have alot of scare tissue from years past. They are not bacterial and he said change my lifestyle Ha easier said then done. I have the pain on the right side going around the back like someone is in there pinching, I have the shortness of breath I have a tough time yawning sometimes and that is real annoying. I found mylanta and aloe vera juice give me some relief.Hope this helps some of you oh I thought many times I was having a heart attack especially driving very difficult.I wish you all well.
If you think you know what the typical symptoms of gallstones are, please share this.  I can't get my HMO to take my symptoms seriously enough to schedule a test now.  I'm in pain when I eat the recommended diet and in agony if I vary one smidge.
you did not give me a chance to respond to your last question, did this information help.  they were case studies of patients experiencing upper g i complications.  i am pacifically looking for medical and technical information about complication, symptoms and problems associated with pancretities due to surg. procedures.  thank you for trying
I have been having the same symptoms for 2 years now.  I am a 32 year old female, not overweight, eat healthy and exercise, but I do smoke.  Symptoms started after my birth of my second child and tubal ligation.  I have been to the emergency room several times and to every doctor that you can imagine.  My pains is always with me, worse after eating, and worse during my menstrual cycle.  Pain is in mid back, chest, under right ribs, get tremendous headaches and the pain radiates to right shoulder blade too.  Each one tells me that I am healthy as a horse and there is nothing wrong with me.  I quit taking all prescribed medicines they were giving me, they weren't working.  I also gave up on all doctors.  After each test, they would end up telling me that the pain was all in my head, and would give me sedative medications.  I am not crazy and I sure don't want to feel like this the rest of my life!  Of course, I did not take such medications either.  I tried several things at the health food store.  The only thing that CONTROLS my pain to a minimum, so I can live my life through less aggravation is Horsetail Extract.  I take 1 with breakfast, 1 with lunch, and 1/2 at dinner.  This is good for hair, muscles, nails, skin, etc.  It was hard at first to quit taking all the prescribed antacids, but after a week or 2, I could eat what I wanted again and my back pain is not as severe.  It only worsens still during my menstrual cycle.  I can live with the severe pain once a month rather than every day.  It was really taking a toll on my family and marriage for a while, so I took charge of my life again!  I hope the same thing might be able to help some of you until these so called doctors come up with an answer!  If anyone would like to talk with me, e-mail:  ***@****.

Karen
I am glad to have finally found this area.

Five years ago I had a pain under my right rib, like a stitch. It didn't seem to relate to food, but I had u/s of the gallbladder and abdomen and all were normal.  Blood has been normal. I became pregnant at some point, I forget whether before or after the pain left, and didn't feel it throughout of after the pregnancy.

I had a miscarriage this past April and two weeks after, the pain returned. I thought it was connected to a heavy meal at Friendly's but again, it now seems to come and go unrelated to food. I had another ultrasound, normal again.

The pain had begun to wane, my one doctor told me I may just have a "sensitive spot" and the other told me that sometimes people get sensitivy where the muscle attaches to the "floating rib"...this sound like the costochondrosis (sp) someone mentioned. That was helpful, thanks for posting. In fact, when I had the ultrasound, I actually felt pain when the ball rolled over the ribs, but none when it rolled over the abdominal area. I can press on my ribs and feel the pain. Mine doesn't usually radiate to the back, and it is concentrated on the lower rib, and only the right side. Sometimes I do feel it in my side.

I believe the first time I had it, it hurt for about four months and then resolved on its own.

I am concerned because I find myself pregnant again and the pain seems to be worsening rather than continuing to improve.  It is more of a superficial than an internal pain, though being full aggravates it, I assume because of the pressure from within. I just want to be sure that it is nothing serious. I am worried because I can't have all these tests not that I am pregnant, and with seven months to go and grow ... I am afraid of what will become of these ribs!  (Morning sickness and vomiting is not helping the ribs much either, sorry to say)

I am seeing my OB tomorrow for another prenatal visit and will definitely get her idea of this symptom.  It is comforting to hear that I am not the only one. Sometimes it seems like such a freak thing to have.

i too experienced sharp pain under my right ribs about 3 weeks ago. without any symptoms i suddenly felt the pain when i was bending down(about 90 degrees)to the right side to pick up my book. at first i thought i had a spasm of the back muscles because i used too...but somehow the pain is rather unusual than spasm. at first i do not know exactly where the pain was because i seem to feel it all over the back on the right side. then one day when i lay on my left side and i took a deep breath the pain suddenly worsen in one particular spot. i tried to locate the spot by pressing my ribs with fingers and i found that spot.the funny thing is that i don't feel the pain when i was in different position. although the pain has subside a little nowadays but if i pressed that spot it was still there...a sharp pain radiate to the back. i wonder what was wrong...and i have been for a pre-employment medical check-up including chest x-ray taken.the report shows nothing is wrong except for the x-ray....the result is not out yet.i m just 21 years old and i hope i do not hav any serious illness like lung cancer. i do not smoke and i hope i will recover very soon!!
that doesn't sound like lung cancer - and a chest xray won't pick up a gallbladder/abdominal problem anyway.

You may have just stretched a muscle. Maybe if you give it a couple more weeks you will be fine.

If you lie on your back and press under your right rib while yu are sucking in, does that hurt? That is a classic gallbladder test, as I understand it.

Good luck with the job!
I can't believe what I have been reading on this forum!  All of these symptoms are what I have been experiencing since the birth of my second child, 7 weeks ago.  I too have had blood tests, ultrasounds, xrays all normal.  I have not yet been subjected to the other battery of tests that you all have gone through, but I go to see a specialist in two weeks for an anoscope because of some rectal bleeding.  I am scared to think of what could be the cause of all this mess inside of me, but after reading all of your postings it may end up being nothing severe such as cancer.  I am only 27 years old with a young family and a new baby to boot and this pain really puts a damper on what should be a joyous part of my life.  The pain on my right side is quite sharp and annoying and often radiates to my back and upper shoulders.  I know it cannot be my gall bladder because that was removed in 1998 and all has been fine for the past two years.  The pain under the ribs is also there and very sensitive to touch
and sometimes feels like the is something in there twisting the ligaments or something!  Also this morning I experienced some very bad tightness in my chest which was relieved after forcing myself to burp a couple of times.  These symptoms are all very strange, so if anyone can offer some friendly advice, please comment or e-mail me at ***@****

Thanks.  Angela
This is kinda long - sorry.  

I'm curious if I have 2 things going on at the same time or if everything is related.  My symptoms are many and I don't seem to fit into any category of illness.  I am just begining my testing - chest x-ray and blood work done & both normal.  My complaints are:

Chest pain in upper right chest (between top 2 ribs) close to the sternum.  Primarily a sharp stab if I inhale too deeply.  Sometimes radiates to my armpit or down my right arm.  Doctor diagnosed pleurisy and put me on anti-inflammatorys which have not helped.  Will be going back in 3 days for a follow up.  

Other symptoms are:
stomach contractions
adreanalin rush (or some other hormone - can feel the rush)
pain/pressure behind sternum (sometimes feels like I'm bruised)
bloated with gas (pants are too tight)
heartburn sometimes
belching
flatuence
shortness of breath
sometimes mucous in my throat that I can't swallow
my blood pressure was high at last dr visit (pain related?)
yes - stress makes things worse

I get back and neck pain in the upper right side but I'm not sure if that's just related to the way I sit at work???

Not sure if these are related - psoriosis and memory problems but I have these too.

Any ideas of what the heck is wrong with me?  Anyone else have similar symptoms?

PS - I'm 5'1", 130 lbs, and 32 year old female.

Alot of people I know found leaving aspartane alone gave them a whole new outlook on life.Many pops and other products too numerous to mention contain the same.Even a favorite chewing gum has it in.Look for aspartane on the net and read for yourself about the comments people like us are telling about.Good Luck!    Seeing is believing.
hello all.
i am a newbie to this site and have read most of the comments. I want to share with you my experience.
I am 26 yrs old and last summer i went thru a 2 month stretch of loose stool...so they did all the tests. no bacteria, no parasite. My GP sent me to the GI specialist to rule out Crohns disease. They came up with IBS of course. No caffine, no milk products and I have even tried no wheat and aloe pills. Still I have severe pain on my right side where my small bowls are located. I still have loose stool every morning and I can't even make it to work without stopping.
Believe it or not I even tried Acupuncture for a while since my stress level seemed to increase with the pain. It got to expensive to keep going but it did help a bit (herbals etc.) I am soooo tired and in pain most of the time and i really hate not being able to eat anymore.
I fell that you all share this pain with me in some way and hope that my comments add to the conversation just a bit. At least to help me vent!
Thanks for having this page:)
Best of luck to you all and I hope I can tell you more sometime soon.
Tania
Greg C.
I have been having the same symptoms as you for 25 years and the doctors don't seem to want to listen and keep telling me it's all in my head. But in actuality it is under my right ribs and I hurl everytime I eat anything. I hold down a full time job, go to school at night (2-3 nights) working on my BS in management and have my own business on the side and this keeps me from thinking about how bad and tired I really do feel. Before I was so busy I stayed at home and thought about how I felt but staying busy somehow makes it more manageable.  I also have fatigue and have fallen asleep driving.  Had sleep studies and it found within 3 hours of sleep I quit breathing 182 times and only get to level one of sleep. Blood tests show B12 normal,thyroid normal, hgb 9,ferritin 3, iron 3.  I am scheduled for a hidascan tomorrow, endoscopy in 3 days.  Sure hope they find some cause for all of the symptoms so all of us can get some releif.
E-Mail me at ***@****
Good luck with your search.
This site has finally reassuredme that I am notlosing my mind(although, I am n ot sure all my family/friends would agree.

My story:

45 yrs old, 30lbs overweight.

Had a lupectomy to remove 2 breast lumps on 5/3(benign). Period due sameday, never got it, 6/3 began bleeding and did so for 8 days straight, flooding, extreme pelvis pain in right side ( i thought it was ols scar tissue from c-sections aggrevated by heavy bleeding.  went to gyn, uterine biopsy, pap, 2 pelvic ultra sounds, normal, blood work, hormones normal.  7/14 severe lower ab pain went togyn, ruled out appendicts, suggested surgery PID.  8/14 laporoscopic surgery, few adhesions, D&C, basically useless surgery.  Laporscopic surgery does give tremendous gass, could it stay trapped?

My stomach became extremely distended in July & it still goes up and down, scares me to death it gets so big.  2 weeks ago started having URQ pain under rib cage, burning, intense, not so intense, comes and goes, but area stays tender all the time, even hurts went I lean down on the right side. Went back to gyn for post op and he said sounds like gallbladder (which of course was what I was already thinking).  Called GP he was out and saw some idiot who sent me fora Ultrasound of Gallbladder and kidneys.  I say idiot because he told me I had blood in my urine, i tried to explain that i had eaten nothing but beets for 2 days(heard that helped with GB). Beets will discolor your urine and sstool.  Urine culture, normal, US normal. Tuesday my doc returns and I m sure he will order every test imaginable.

I feel asthough ihave been living this nightmare for 6 mths with the breast lumps starting all this.

Interestingly. my gyn said that generalanesthesia can trigger gb problems, I have had 2 surgeries in 2 months.????  i think they all just guess at our expense.

I am also a total alarmist when it comes to health problems,and I am having terrible anxiety/panic. thank god for xanax or would have been in the emergency room over and over again.

The only thing know for sure is that I have had a tremendous amount of personal stress over the past 6 mths and I emphasize tremendous!!!!

Could that be the reason for all of this? I welcome any help, I'm scared and tired.  ***@**** (e-mail address)

I have just begun applying castor oil packs (per edgar cayce) over my liver area three times a week.  He also recommends 3 teaspoons of olive oil a day and spinal adjustments).  I'll try anything.

Good luck to everyone!!

Diane

My story:

45 yrs old, 30lbs overweight.

Good luck to everyone!!

Diane
To Greg C and anyone else who suspects or has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia:

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia on January 18, 2000.  I was both shocked and relieved, not what I expected but finally an answer to my pain.  Symptoms: GI [diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and pains, gallbladder removed in 1997], GU [frequency of urination], Vulvodynia, skin disorders and rashes, memory problems, difficulty reading/concentrating/writing, sensory and nerve problems, tooth aches and pains, pain all over my body esp lower back, upper back, ribs, sternum and chest, panic/anxiety attacks, heart palpitations, sweating, numbness, difficulty swallowing, extreme fatigue, insomnia, etc., etc., etc.

At first I decided to combat the pain with a pain management doctor.  I began this immediately after I found out my diagnosis.  The pain was excruciating at times.  This worked at first but later I found something else which worked better.  I also took antidepressants to help the insomnia.

A week after the diagnosis I discovered what I now call my lifesaver, Dr. St. Amand's book, _What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia_.  I read the book and began his recommended diet immediately.  It was difficult at first but after 10 days I noticed a big change.  NO MORE PANIC/ANXIETY ATTACKS!  No more heart palpitations two hours after eating.  My fatigue was cut in half!  The added plus, I started to lose weight.  I began the diet on January 23, 2000 and have lost over 60 pounds so far.  This diet is for carbohydrate intolerance and hypoglycemia.  I soon accepted I have severe hypoglycemia.

I waited until March 10 to begin the second part of Dr. St. Amand's treatment plan, Guaifenesin or GUAI for short.  I was somewhat skeptical but had quick results which took away any concerns that this was some placebo.  Within 10 days my back was completely flexible.  I hadn't been able to bend over without pain in so long I didn't realize what a relief it would be.  Flexibility is definitely something I took for granted.  My pain level was decreased by half within 2 months.

My maintenance dose of GUAI is very low considering what many others have to take and for that I am thankful.  I have had steady improvement of my symptoms.  My symptoms are no longer getting worse and more plentiful rather they have lessened and I feel better.  I still do have some pains here and there.  Now at least I will not have more and more and worse and worse everyday and never know what will hurt, when.   I hated the feeling that my pain controlled my life.  I lived my life around my pain.  Not any more.  Every day I am able to do more and more.  I realize that taking GUAI is a long process toward complete healing but I have seen the results.  It works.

BTW I can read, concentrate and write again.  I didn't know how much these simple abilities were affected until I didn't have them.  I am finally returning to my love, rendering in colored pencils and I can do the work in *half* the time!  Finally I can focus on what I am drawing.

If you are already taking GUAI don't give up too soon.  It does work!  Try getting on the GUAI support list so you can learn about the protocol which must be followed for success.  Some people begin taking GUAI and don't know about certain things which block its effectiveness.  The book explains this and the support list also helps.

You can also find more info at:

http://www.guaidoc.com/

You can write to me to ask questions at:
mailto:***@****

Take care,
RK
To Greg C.:  I just found this site while looking for some answers to a mild chest/back pain very much like what I've read described here.  Many of your symptoms seem to be like mine, and I found it interesting that no doctor could make a definite diagnosis or effectively treat you so that this could be cleared up. (I've only seen my doctor once (last week), and she did chest x-rays-found nothing.)  The last entry in this forum is July 23.  Have you had any changes in treatment since then?  How are you now?
IT IS QUITE AMAZING ON HOW MANY OTHERS ARE SUFFERING OF THIS TYPE
More on the Costochondritis.  Since my last posting, where I mentioned the chronic Costochondritis I have, I had a bout of acute Costochondritis on my left side.  I had problems breathing, it really, really hurt to take a deep breath and when the doctor examined me, I just about fell off the examination table because my chest wall was so inflamed.  I got rid of that by taking 200mg of ibuprofen 3times a day with meals, using ice on the inflamed area and trying to get some rest for a few days.
The more chronic version on my right side sounds so much like what so many of you have.  It's not related to eating, but is made worse by sitting, wearing anything that presses on the bottom of my ribs (which are sore to the touch) or on my abdomen.  There are some Costochondritis support groups and forums - just search for "costochondritis support".  It's not the answer for everyone - clearly some people have gallbladder or other problems - but it is an interesting subject and explains a lot about how I feel most of the time.  It's made worse by stress and although I don't know what caused it, I can live with it, though it does get you down after a while.
HELP IS HERE!! You Will be shocked at the criminal acts, the cover ups, the fighting going on between those who know the truth and those making big money at putting this neurotoxin linked to GERD, Brain Lesions and more, in all of our convenience foods. Much like nicotine in cigarettes, it is addicting and increases sales. Food industry is adding it by the truck loads more and more each year as they discover the power it has over people and their profits.
Think you are safe because it says "NO MSG" on the can of soup?Think again. Their buddy the FDA is allowing it in foods under misleading names such as "Natural Flavors", "Spices", Hydrolyzed protein, yeast extract, citric acid and many more!! Get the list of these names from the website NOMSG.com Read what neuro surgeon Russell Blaylock has to say about its affects on your GI system, links to Brain lesions, pituitary damage, asthma, eczema, palpitations and so much more. "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills" was written by this very brave doctor who has taken on the big money industry of food additives. I am so relieved and so is my husband who also suffered migraines before discovering this info and acting to eliminate it from our diet. We now know where it hides. Once I would roll on the floor due
to so  much discomfort.  Beware of all fermented foods,
alcohol, vinegar, soy sauce. It is in all ketchup, salad
dressings, mayo, gum, soda, ice cream, frozen dinners, canned
spagetti sauce, tomato paste, It is back to everything homemade unless we can stop this practice.

Good Luck I hope this info helps you as it has me.
Hi there!

I found an old posting of yours on urq pain and wondering if you ever found what was causing it.  I am also emailing a copy of this to all the other people I can find on-line that have this problem.  If you have time, let me know if this has helped you with a return email to: ***@****  FYI:  I have had every test out there with
My pain started about a month after i had my baby.  It's a real bad pain right in the opening of the stomache.  I think that it is a symptom called gastritis and doctors in mexico call it la vecicula.  I don't even know who to believe and also to know what to take for the pain.  The pain is so bad sometimes that i have to move around and also i can't even breathe sometimes and i really hate it because my pain pills are not starting to work any more and i just don't know what to do anymore.  I really need help or find another treatment because this is really disturbing my life in school and with my beautiful baby.
The right upper quadrant burning pain under the right rib I've experienced seems to be associated with using regular milk in cereals.  This always was worse after that kind of breakfast.  I tried Lactaid milk and it significantly improved.  I worked in a doctor's office for four years under very stressful conditions. Had U/S for gallstones which was nornal.  That's when this all started. Stress secretes stomach acid.  Now, I have a less stressful job.  Was on antibiotics for dental work for three years and I think that caused a lot of imbalance in the bacterial flora of the gut.  Acidolphilus capsules help (kefir-a yogurt milk drink) is good too.  Try taking licorice capsules also as they coat the lining of the stomach.  Drink lots of water when you have these episodes and flush the acid away!! It will improve after 3-5 days of 8 big glasses a day. Chewing gum helps too.  Destress by relaxing more and listening to soothing music at bedtime. A flaxseed wrap warmed in the microwave helps also.
Zantac helps but is associated with palpitations.  A chewed calcium supplment is better.  Hope these hints help.  I know doctor's can make you more sick, cause worry and sometimes are just doing all these tests to make more money.
In March of 2000 woke up in the middle of the night with hunger pains.  The pains became pretty severe and I went to see the GP who diagnosed ulcers.  The GP gave me prilosec and maalox.  This helped about 50%.  Three months went by and the pain was still there.  Also noted very light colored stools and pain in my right side along with bloating.  In May of 2000 had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with gastritis.  The Gastroenterologist gave me Carafate which helped immensely.  Stopped taking the Prevacid and Maalox.  Still had side pain, bloating and still some stomach pain.  Had an Ultrasound in late May and was diagnosed with Gallstones.  Have 3-4 stone and each are 3-4millimeters in size. Started taking Actigall June 1, 2000.  As of now, 10-5-2000, stools have finally become darker colored again and currently am having less pain, almost non-existent in my right side.  However, stomach is still acting up, though Carafate helps.  Also have to take 125. mg. of Simethicone for the gas and bloating which helps tremendously.  December 1, 2000 will have another ultrasound to determine if Actigall is dissolving the stones.  Forgot to mention that I've lost 25 pounds on a low fat diet.  Discovered there is a direct connection between eating fat and pain in the right side.  Eat less than 40 grams of fat a day now.  Hoping to avoid removal of my gallbladder.  Good luck to all of you.
SEEMS I'M NOT ALONE.

MY DOCTOR SEEMS TO FEEL IT COULD BE MUSCLE IRRITATION. I'VE BEEN TO THE "ER" TOO MANY TIMES. THEY ALWAYS COME BACK WITH NORMAL TESTS RESULTS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I ALSO HAVE PROTIEN IN MY URINE. I'M 34 AND SINCE I TURNED 30 MY HEALTH HAS GONE DOWN HILL. I DO KNOW THIS; THE FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN IS DRIVING ME MAD.

***@****
I fell for all of you guys...

Check out this page... I hope it helps, if not all, at least some of you. The best to you all!

http://www.selfstudycenter.com/
To all, when you begin to say I HAVE this wrong and I have that wrong, By saying I HAVE you are claiming that thing for your self. You need just to say the doctor says not I.  the word of God says that Power of Life and death is in the tongue.(Proverbs 18- verse 21)You can say the doctor says I have this or that but Jesus says by his strips I am healed.We need to learn to work the word of God we need to know that Jesus already paid the price for our healing not we need to walk in it. in faith without doublt. 2 corinthians 5 verse 7 says: for we walk by faith not by sight. we need to look beyond what we see and know that we walk in the faith of God's healing power. Mark 11 verse 23 says: For verily I say unto you that whosoever ( which is You!) shall say unto this mountain (Problem, Disease,) be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall ( it doesnt say might or maybe it says shall) have whatsoever he saith. John 10:10 says the theif ( which is satan) cometh not, but to steal, and to kill and to destroy: I (Jesus) am come that they might have life and have it more abundantly. Jesus came to bring the Kingdom of God down to us that we walk in health. I will be prayer and I hope this has increased your faith! Faithbuilder_7 @ yahoo.com
well i had very bad pains under my ribs that went around my back it felt like someone was stabbing a knife in my back and turning i would have trouble breathing and double over with pain where i couldnt stand up.this went on after my 2 child and lasted for 3 years when it started getting worse i saw doctors alot of time and the told me it was a cold in my chest casing it down to yeast infections they kept giving me antibiotics.well finally i was pregnent and pains where getting worse i made sure i got to the emergancy room when i was in pain and my midewife said you know what i bet its your gallbladder my mother had the same problems before and set up a ultrasound and bingo i had maltiple gall stones from years of no body finding it i ask her way this got to be so bad and no other doctor found this sooner she said that unfortanlly its like a taboo in the medical field and it is very hard to get diagnosed.anyways after having my child one of the stone went into my pancreas and i all most died this is a serious problem if not taken care of .so if you are having these problems be persisten and get an ultrasound and make sure you find out what is the problem.and also alot of the times gallstones will give you problems when you eat fatty foods.and the stones get pushed out by whats called bil(not sure of spelling)and the stone gets stuck in the duck and everything backs up.well good luck to all hope you feel better.its painfull i enjoyed delivering my 3 children more then the pain
Hi all,
   This is kind of a relief to me like all of the rest of you.  Finally, people that know exactly the pain that I have been having since I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter.  I had my gall bladder removed after I had her (6 weeks later).  The major brunt of the pain disappeared but I still have what I would classify as quite a bit of pain in the same area.  I've been told 3 different things so far.  #1 is some condition called H-pylori. #2 is phantom pain from the gall bladder, #3 is a hiatal hernia.  I'm very anxious to figure it out.  I'm sure that it is not the H-pylori based on what I have read on it, but #3 is rather intriguing to me.
     Nevertheless, it seems as though the gall bladder sufferers who have had them removed are still having the problems, so could it be that #2 is the correct diagnosis?  I know people who have had limbs removed suffer from "phantom pains" on the side of the missing limb.  Has anyone else heard of this?

Karen
Thank you to all of you for being there.  I thought I was going crazy.  My story is long but here goes.

In early Sept. I was bit by a brown recluse spider was put on Cipro and a prednizone count down pack and Hydroxyzine. Got off of that and two weeks later had an abcessed tooth and was put on Penicillin for 10 days. Got off that on Thursday and was coming down with flu and Brochitis and on Friday was put on Keflex, cough med. and of course another count down pack. Next day was itching like crazy and was taken off keflex and was put on a new drug, Avelox..SEVERE allergic reaction and ended up in the ER for an IV treatment for rash etc. The ER DR. put me on more Prednizone (stronger dosage), Zantac, he said he liked to use that as a histimine blocker, and something else Radi..something.
Then had to go back to my regular Dr. and they put me on Augmentin and was told to finish up the rest of the other meds.
Next to the last day of the Augmentin, started having itching of the palms, inner ears and throat.  Told not to take the last couple of augmentin, but to take Hydroxyzine for the itching.
(It has been 2 weeks since I got off antibiotics and I am still having the itching off an on.)
The same day I had a funny feeling in the top of my stomach, just under the breast area like a full feeling. Then a burning feeling went to my ribs and my back on the right side. It keeps coming back everyday now for 2 weeks. I am afraid to eat anything because after 30 mins. to 4 hours it hits.
I tried mylanta and it seemed to make it worse. I was told the gallbladder bothers you mostly during the night. Mine seems to be anytime, but worse from about 9 to 11pm. I don't have nausea or vomiting. It feels like a burning or slight pinching. I feel like I need to burp and when I do it feels better. I don't have a feeling of a tight band yet.
I go back to the Dr. today at 3:30 just for a check up because on the allergic reactions that I had. I am going to mention this pain to Dr.
I'm really scared. I will tell you what they say and do for me.
Again, thank you for being there and listening to my story.
Pam

Pam

When all has been ruled out and you still have RUQ Pain, RUQ fullness feeling, with delayed HIDA scan, pain radiating to the back PLUS Other symptoms like Bell's palsy or twitching facial or elsewhere, stiff neck are all fairly classic symptoms of Lyme disease. These are all caused by nerves or nerve roots that are infected.  Some people will even have elevated liver enzymes with Lyme.  Most doctors are still ignorant of this greatly underdiagnosed disease.  
***@****
Well, I went to the Doctor and they set up the standard tests..Sonogram of total abdominal region and an Upper GI series and all came back normal.
The pain I have been having has all most gone completely.
The allergic reactions that I had to all of the meds I was on was my culprit, 4 antibiotics back to back and 3Prednazone count down packs and more! All in a matter of 2 months.
All of the meds messed up my system plus killed all of the bacteria that our bodies need.
I hope all of you can find the cause of your problems.
Remember some medications can cause this problem in the RUQ.
Best of luck to you all.
Pam
Leah ...I have had Bell's Palsy.  Not sure if there is a connection except poor immune system possibilities.  I have also had Lyme Disease, which may have brought on the BP.  I found this forum because of the pain I am having in the center of my chest right under the sternum (sp).  Sometimes mild and sometimes bad.  
I think my problem is GREATLY aggrivated by chocolate and coffee ... two of my favs!  (Throw in a little stress and I am up the wall) In fact I did a little experiment tonight with some Rocky Road Ice Cream.  The deep chocolate kind --Breyers.  Sure enough, about one hour later, I am in pain.  Same kind, same place, same intensity.  
One scary thing .... maybe some of you have had this too.  I get a "jolt" feeling that brings on moderate anxiety and a quick feeling of "let down"; like I took a punch on the inside.    
I had the upper GI, sonogram, ekg,  a few years ago with nothing remarkable except mild reflux.  Diagnosis was to lose some weight (which I finally did about three years ago and was symptom free.  I have gain it all back.  Go figure) and to use Gaviscon -- great stuff.
GREG
GREG
What is the answer to the above question please.
I had pain in my URQ for about a year.  Finally went to the doctor who sent me to get an ultrasound (after scaring the hell out of me with a cancer talk).  I found out that I have 2 large gallstones that take up about half of my gallbladder.  Now I have the prospect of surgery at Christmas.  Great.  I'm hoping this is all that's wrong and the surgery has no complications.  Good luck to everyone on finding a cause for their pain.

Comforting to read so many reports of swollen feeling just under ribs.  I first developed this 11 years ago after getting some kind of bug (undiagnosed) in India.  I went through 3 years of it coming and going along with mild digestive irregularities.  Recently I developed it again.  I had many of the tests listed by others.  Diet seems to have some impact, but not a lot.  It's unrelated to when I eat.  Recently I've had acupuncture and this is the only effective treatment I've found.  After two sessions and also some sessions of visualising a heathy 'flow' in my liver, the inflamed feeling went away for several weeks. It's now back following a business trip and much stress so I will return to acupuncturist.  The only thing I'd add is that it's worth finding a really good acupuncturist because if those needles don't produce a really deep ache when they put them in, they ain't working!
Do you have additional problems or increased pain when eating high fat ... or greasy foods? If so, then definitely push for the gallbladder screens first.  If your doctor won't do the test, then get a second opinion.  

Hpylori bacter  blood test first and formost I had same syptoms, took three attempts to get my doctor to listen. Came back positive.Floored him. Most sypmtoms went away after treatment and a healing time period. Had my gal bladder out to but also had second bout of hpylori same symptons, went away after antibiotics.
take the blood Test !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch your diet keep track and map it with symptoms. If you eat a fatty meal and later you have pain it is probably your gall bladder. My mother took one flax seed oil caplet and had the same pain.I am sure she has a gall bladder problem.
28 years old.  I have had pain in my right side right under my ribs for about 2 weeks.  Vomiting and loose stool for about 3 weeks. I have lost 5 pounds since this has all started.  so my weight is down to 105.  I have had an ultrasound and blood work done and was all normal.  I am schuduled for a hidascan and do not know anything about it.  I am feeling the same as other people, that is very hard to descrip.
Hey, I'm having a hidascan tomorrow. I haven't felt good for about 3-4 weeks...I'm having pain and pressure in my chest that goes into my back between my shoulder blades and up my neck and have been running a low grade temp...I was told I have a sludgy gallbladder...the hidascan hopefully will show something I hope...I would push for a gallbladder ultrasound and hidascan...if nothing else it will rule it out. but it certainly sounds suspicious. Oh and the funny feeling you decribed, I know it well...good luck!
A related discussion, frustrated was started.
Good God how I can relate to all of you. All test negative, still in pain. Crazy symptoms but I'm not crazy!  How can we all be having so many of the same symptoms and nobody know what's wrong?!
A related discussion, same problems was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Gastroenterologist in your area?