Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Medication

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: Medication

Posted By HFHSM.D.-sg on July 30, 1998 at 21:16:39:

In Reply to: Medication posted by jessem on July 28, 1998 at 11:36:54:

Hello.  I was diagnosed with Crohn's of the large intestine about 2 years ago and started taking 2/3 times daily Asacol for treatment.  During my whole exercise/diet/Crohn's experience, I have lost over 50 pounds during the course of 4 years.  I work out extensively and watch my diet closely to help avoid foods i am sensitive to.  I have found that this can help control my symptoms fairly effectively.  I have never taken Prednizone or any steroid for treatment, and i have never been hospitalized.  I still get hungry regularly and experience no bleeding like I initially did.  My BMs are somewhat inconsistent, but change when I eat properly.
My question is this-  Is it a serious matter to see what resembles the outer Asacol casing when I move my bowels?  There is no blood, and the BM is "normal", but these anomalies sometimes show up.
Thanks for the forum
_

Dear Jessem,
I am happy to see that you pay close attention to your Crohns disease.
Crohns disease is an inflammatory condition of unknown cause that can involve any portion of the gastrointestinal tract from the mouth to the anus. It is a chronic disease which relapses and remits. Effective medical therapies are available.  
It is not unusual to see the casing of Asacol capsules in your stool. This can happen due to a variety of reasons such as altered transit time through the gut and resistance of the casing tobreakdown. I would not be concerned about seeing the Asacol casings in your stool.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
HFHSM.D.-sg
*keywords: Crohns disease, asacol
0.3