Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: abdominal pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: abdominal pain

Posted By a href=mailto:***@****/a on June 07, 1999 at 20:38:28PI've been having abdominal pain for 2 years, still undiagnosed.brIt is located in the lower right quadrant, about the location of the appendix and seems to go through and out the lower right buttock and also over to the right hip. It is worse lying down, a little better sitting up, and much better walking around, although it is always there to some degree.  There is very little tenderness.  I have this pain everyday and in addition I get attacks of severe pain in the same area during the night. I find if I change position during one of these nighttime attacks the acute pain is alleviated, although the area is sore for awhile.  A full bladder also seems to cause a lot of pain in this same area. As soon as I get up and walk around the pain is much better. I never get an acute attack like this during the day, or on the left side of my abdomen. There are no digestive symptoms since I cut back on the increase in fiber in my diet. This has had no effect on the pain in the right quadrant. In Mar 98 I had a laparoscopy in which an adhesion tying the small bowel to the abdominal wall was released.My gyn chose to leave the adhesions around the sigmoid colon alone. I had complete relief for 3 months when the right lower quadrant pain returned.  A general surgeon repeated the lap and found the first adhesion had not reoccurred so he worked on the adhesions around the sigmoid colon, which he found  was pulled over to the right and stuck on the right pelvic wall, which he released. I had relief for about 4 months when the same right lower quadrant pain returned. It was at this time the severe attacks during the night became more regular. What would cause acute abdominal pain like this and be relieved by a change in position? br    I have been to a GI doctor (colonoscopy negative, no Crohns), a gyn (normal exam April 99) colorectal surgeon (doesn't feel it is my colon and suggested the bones/joints as a possibl
Posted By Lin on June 29, 1999 at 09:03:39

Chris, Your pain sounds so much like mine. I have been trying to get answers on this for over 2 yrs. It started out one night waking me up with severe low rt. ab pain that doubled me over in pain. It did this for several nights, then changed to a inflamed feeling in my rt. ab, rt. side,  low rt. side of back, rt. buttocks and hip. When my ab is deeply pressed on in this area, it is very sore. CT scans have come back negative except for what they say is sclerotic changes in my rt. illium, and later told to me to be a benign tumour. I was told however, that thesedo not cause pain though and should have nothing to do with my ab. side, and hip pain. Mornings are most painful, which forces me out of bed. Although I still get inflammed-feeling type pain, and alot of burning pain, moving around does seem to improve it. The problem with that is though, that I do have things going on in my spine and activity worsens it..a catch 22! Please let me know if you've found out anything on this pain that you have had. Lin

Follow Ups: