Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Rectal Bleeding

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Rectal Bleeding

I'm a 31-year-old female with no known family history of colon cancer. I've been experiencing bright red rectal bleeding with bowel movements, but not consistently. I could go 1 or more months in between episodes. Sometimes it's just a little blood, and sometimes it's a substantial amount. Actually, I can remember having this happen when I was even a teenager, intermitently. With all the publicity being given to colon cancer, I'm really scared that I may have it. It seems every time I turn around there's another news story about this cancer. What are the risk factors for someone my age for colorectal cancer? Should I see my family doctor, or should I make an appointment right away for a colonoscopy?
I think your risk for colon cancer at your age is very very small.  There are many things that can cause rectal bleeding - hemeroids, benign polups, crone's disease (chronic inflamation (inflammation) of the colon), diverticulitis (an inflamed bulging of your colon), irritable bowel syndome maybe, and some other conditions.

Do you have any pain associated with this?  If I were you, I would see your family doctor as soon as you can - most likely he will order a colonoscopy.  Try not to worry too much about it.  Chances of cancer are very small.  Go get it checked out.  Most likely you will be relieved to find nothing serious is wrong.

Good luck.
No, no pain associated with this at all. This week I have been feeling a little light-headed, but I don't know if I could possibly be coming down with the flu or something, separate from this.

During the colonoscopy procedure, I know that they give you a mild sedative to help calm you, and I understand there's no pain involved, as there's no nerve endings inside the colon. Do you just experience a feeling of pressure from the insertion point? How long does the sedative take effect? Is this something that I would need someone else with me to drive me home afterwards, or it is not that heavy of a sedative? Does the doctor know the prognosis right away, since they're seeing the results at the same time they're doing it? I know - I'm full of questions, but I like to be as well-informed about stuff as I can, before it happens.
Hi-
I have basically the same question...ive been bleeding rectally for the last week when i have a bowel movement. But my uncle has colon cancer (hes 49) so im worried. But, i wont have insurance till June, so is there need for me to have it looked at immediately?
hi, i also have s imilar question. i am 19 yrs old and have only experienced bleeding twice, both incidents were in the past couple of months. i have no abdominal pain or fevers. i caught a cold a week ago, but am getting over it right now. other than that everything has felt normal. i am not having bowel movements more frequently or differently than i normally have. any ideas why i am experiencing this and what i can do
wow, i didn't know that there are other people in my situation.  i am 19 and healthy, and for the past year or two, off and on, i have had the same problem, sometimes a lot of blood, sometimes barely any, no pain, obviously i am not too excited about confronting a doctor about this, do you all think that i should worry at all?, every once in awhile i think it goes away, but then it suddenly reoccurs, if anyone has any valid advice, please post...THANKS
I am 23 and have the same problems, though mine have been going on for quite a long time (see the message I've already posted).  I've had tests and the doctor said given my age, the fact that this has been happening for quite a while with no other symptoms and the fact that there is no family history, then it probably is nothing serious.
I am not a doctor, so can't answer your questions too well.  I haven't had a colonoscopy so don't know the details.  What I hear is it is not painful and you are sedated.

For crying out loud people, bleeding means that there is something not right.  Why are you folks so afraid to go to a doctor?  Your chances of cancer are very small, but not 0.  There are other less serious disorders which can cause bleeding.  Nevertheless, are you willing to risk your life because you are uneasy about seeing a doctor?  Go get it checked out.
could you look at the Blasto question please I need help   thanks
I have had 5 colonoscopies over a number of years so I guess I'll jump in here and see if I can help.  First of all you need to be sure what test you're having.  A sigmoidoscopy is usually done in the doctor's (Gastroenterologist) office.  You are fully awake and feel some discomfort as scope twists and turns it's way through.  Kind of like gas cramping pains.  The Colonoscopy you are generally put right out for.  You can even request it be done using a general anesthetic.  I had a habit of coming awake mid way through the procedure which was indeed painful.  I recently voiced that concern to my new Gastro doc who asked if I'd like a general anesthetic.  It was wonderful..never woke..never felt anything.  With colonoscopies the worst part is definintely the prep before hand.  You have to drink some awfully nasty tasting stuff.  It's really quite bad but you do what you have to do.

My concern with the bleeding so many of you are experiencing is that bleeding certainly indicates a problem.  First thought of course would be hemroids.  I've been a colitis patient for 15 years and have never tested positive for blood in my stool.  My son had severe rectal bleeding a couple years ago that scared us to death.  Tests were given and no answers.  Finally we got smart and took him off one of the meds he's on for his bipolar disorder because we had read that in rare instances it could cause rectal bleeding.  Low and behold it was the culprit.  We've replaced that medication with another more friendly one.  So, check your meds.  It could be as simple as that.  Hope I've helped.
do you have freckles on your lips?  if so, go right away and get tested for peutz-jeghers syndrome.  my whole family has it.
I had a sigflex a few years ago...they do not put you out...if
done properly there is no pain until they reach the bowel. Then
there is a few seconds of severe gas like cramps but they go
away as soon as they leave the bowel....

I have had a full colonoscopy...two times...both times they found
small pollops (non-cancer after biopsy).  I cannot tell you if
the proceedure hurt or not.  The seditive they give you will not
put you out because they have to get you to turn sometimes to
avoid puncture of the colon; however, I rememember nothing after
the proceedure.  The doctor even told my wife that she would
have to repeat his findings since I would not remember anything
about it and for about 1/2 hour after.  You must have some one
to drive you home or they will not perform the proceedure.
Good Luck and follow-up on the advice on checking your meds...
Hi all-- Leo is right, they don't put you out completely but you will not remember any of it depending on which medication they give. Sometimes they give Demerol and Valium but with Valium you may remember things. You can ask for Versed instead of Valium, this is the medication that causes the "amnesia". Don't be afraid to get this procedure, not knowing what's wrong and worrying is much worse. It's good to be cautious, but with all the warnings about colon cancer in the news people are worrying themselves TOO much. Just go see your doctor- you'll be glad you did.
FYI, I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon. So hopefully everything will turn out to be nothing serious. Actually, I'd had this appt. set up already for something else, but I called last week and asked to see the doc instead of the nurse practitioner, so will mention the bleeding to him and see what he wants to do. Wish me luck!
I have the same problem except I think mine is bleeding on the surface as it only gets on the paper. There is a new test that is done in a lab. You send in samples of stool on slides and they put drops on it to see if it reacts and that will tell you if its colon-rectal cancer. I have to turn mine in soon and see what they say. PS. I'm 48 yrs. old and have had an anal abcess (abscess), along with Hepatitis-C,Diabetes II, chirossis, and gall bladder removed last year. Lots of fun ahead!
I had a colonoscopy done a few months ago.  I had no pain killers nor anesthia given to me.  Let me tell you people, I wanted to come up off of that table!!!  I suggest to all of those out there that you request something to relax you.  Of course I lived to tell about it, however, I know I will never go through another without something to put me into la la land.  FYI, my understanding is that the procedure for some reason is more painful to women than to men.
im a 21 year old whos been having bleeding in my stools off and on for 3 years . the doctor has done the signoscopy and xrays of my intestines and they found nothing. well 2 days ago i noticed blood in my stool again and ive had a weird pain in my leftside abdomenen kind of like a tugging pain only when i bend over. what could it be a pulled ab muscle because i did use the ab machine 3days ago  i m getting so baffled about the blood tho.
I am new at this posting. I am taking care of my 31 year old sister who was diagnosed with colorectal cancer last year. Her tumor was removed and she went through chemotherapy and radiation. She also had an eliostomy for three months. It was just reversed a week ago. Now she does not have to have a bag anymore.

I would like to learn more about the type of diet and nutrition she should follow after surgery. Also, she was not supposed to loose her hair from her chemotherapy treatment. But she lost it almost all. We do not know the reasons since the oncologist have not encountered similar cases where people have lost their hair. Again, the chemo for colon cancer is different. FOr other cancers people do loose their hair. Anyone have any comments? I would like to know experiences in taking care of her diet and comments about loosing hair. SHe is so afraid it will not come back since it has been almost two months since she lost it.
Thank you,  GINA
I am 21 years old, and I read all of your comments, and I just thought that I would mention some of my symptoms:  No pain, but a lot of bleeding, sometimes throught my pants at work!.  If you have any suggestions please let me know.  I am not afraid to go to the doctor, I just don't have any insurance till May.  Do you think that it can wait till then!  Help!  josh.***@**** is my e-mail address.  Thanks!

Josh
i don't know if this belongs to this forum, but oh well.  for as much of my life as i can remember, bowel movements have been a pain.  it started as just going about once a week.  then, i fixed it by eating right and taking better care of myself.  then i broke my jaw and couldn't eat anything solid for six months.  during that time my stool was very clumpy and soon they were all clumping together becoming rather large and hurting a lot.  then one day, it started bleeding.  it bled for a while every time i would go, but then i fixed it for a while.  now it has come back and i bleed every time and it really hurts.  it is just too big, what can i do?
oh yeah, im 18.  active a lot, in kinda good shape, eat what everyone else eats.  can't afford to go to the doctor unless it would really be worth it.  what can be done to fix me?
EVERYONE OF YOU LISTEN UP,
I IMPLORE YOU ALL TO GO TO YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATLY. BACK IN SEPTEMBER OF "99 I STARTED TO HAVE RECTAL BLEEDING.  IT WAS'NT MUCH AT FIRST. THEN IT CAME EVERY WEEKEND TRYING TO RUIN MY SOCIAL LIFE. I WOULD GET ABOUT 3 OR 4 MOVEMENTS ONE RIGHT AFTER THE OTHER AT ABOUT 10 MINUTE INTERVALS.  I LOST SO MUCH BLOOD I WOULD BECOME VERY WEAK AND NAUSEAS.  THE LAST TIME IT STRUCK I PASSED OUT  TWICE FROM THE LOSS OF BLOOD.  I WENT TO THE HOSIPTAL AND WAS TOLD I WAS CLOSE TO DEATH FROM LOSS OF BLOOD. I WAS ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL AND GIVEN 3 UNITS OF BLOOD. TESTS WERE RUN AND THE RESULTS WERE CROHNS DISEASE.  MY LARGE AND SMALL INTESTINES WERE RIPPING AWAY FROM EACH OTHER AND THERE WAS POLYPS ON MY COLON. SURGERY WAS IMMEDIATE. NOW NO MORE BLEEDING.  I FEEL GREAT.  SO PLEASE GO TO THE DOCTOR. DONT PLAY WITH YOUR LIFE.
If you have large hard stools, this can irritate and tear the anal linings causing bleeding.

The best thing you can do is increase your fiber intake - eat whole grains, bran, etc. and/or take some fiber supplements like metamucil.  Also, drink lots of water (at least 8 8oz glasses a day).  The fiber and water will help to make your stools softer.  Believe me, this will help a lot.  If you have continued bleeding, you should see a doctor.
You know, this is great, I was worried about being so young and all the blood, but now I don't feel so bad. Whoo Hoo!
Anyway, here's my case: soon after I started college, I started finding blood in the toilet. Now, I hadn't really been looking n the toilet much, so the first time I noticed the blood I was scared silly, and it occurred to me that I could have been bleeding during EVERY movement for quite a while: but I never checked, so I never noticed. I've been checking regularly ever since.

What I've deduced is this: first, that there is usually NO pain involved. Second, that most of the bleeding takes place AFTER I have finished my movement, and while I'm just sitting there finishing the chapter of whatever book I'm reading. This was a relief since I had this idea that blood AFTER a movement couldn'r be nearly as serious as blood MIXED in with stools. Am I right about this??? I don't know.

Anyway, this bleeding usually lasts on and off, to differing degrees, for a couple of days to a couple of MONTHS. But it usually goes away for such long period of times that by the time I'm home to visit the family doctor, I've forgotten all about it.

My current wory stems from this: I just moved to NYC, and ALL of my medical insurance just ended, and I don't have any money to see a doctor . . . so OF COURSE, after nearly a year of no incidences of bleeding that I can remember -- I am now bleeding regularly with every movement. Yuck.

But after reading these posts, now I'm thinking that I'm just not eating enough fiber and drinking enough water. That could make sense. Or maybe it has something to do with times of high stress (First: starting college; later, moving to NY, etc . . .) --- Anyway, does any of my rationalizing make any medical sense here?

God, I hope I don't have cancer . . .
I don't know if i'm in the right forum or not but my situation is this: 2 years ago i started getting a clear liquidy substance in the rectal area, it would actually leak through to my undrwear(not pleasant when you work sitting down) soon afterward i went to the doctor and he diagnosed a small cyst as the leaking culprit and also internal hemmoroids (hemorrhoids), does anyone know if hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) swell up enough to feel like your sitting on a lump at times? I've been to two doctors, and two times i had a scope up my butt, they have said the same thing and prescribed suppositories, i,m 31 and in good shape, just very uncomfortable!
My belly gurgles and makes strange noises, is there a connection?

Thanks all!!
This one is for Lucas. Yeah maybe the blood after your bowel movement isn't as serious. and maybe it is the stress. i have a friend who had the same problem and he was under a lot of stress. he ended up going to the doc. and they gave him some stuff and now he's cool. i know its really weird to have to go to the docs about this, i am not looking forward to it, but hey, we don't wanna get really sick now do we
I hope by now you have seen your doctor. If not, call him/her today !
I thank you all for sharing your experiences here which are much the same as mine. 3 movements last weekend, LOTS of blood. this is the first time it has ever happened.

It stopped for 3 days until this morning. More blood. I have seen my GP and am in the process of getting an appointment for a specialist.

Hopefully, this will happen this week since I am really scared (I am 31 and healthy). I can't go through this again. My wife (36) stopped Chemo and Radiation treatments 3 weeks ago for cervical cancer. I don't think I would be as strong as her if I had to go through that.

Anyway all, I will keep you posted since I am going to the Doc so soon. I hope to be able to give you all an exact detail of what I went through and the diagnosis.

Thank you all.
I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago due to cervical cancer. I had a bowel movement that was followed by a large blood clot and blood on tissue for a few wipings afterwards. Then it seemed to stop.  About 8 hours later, when i went to urinate I noticed old looking blood on my underpants.  What would cause this and should I be real concerned?  I seen a doctor that wants to rule out diverticulosis. What is that and how serious is it?
                          Thank you, angel eyes
Diverticulosis and its inflammation called diverticulitis is not that serious. I have had it for years.  I have experienced blood in my stools and have had old blood as you described.  If the pain becomes intense, chances are the diverticulosis is infected and should be treated with antibiotics.  People live with this condition all the time.  I take prilosec and it hels.  Avoid foods with seeds (tomatoes, cucumbers, sesame seeds) and avoid popcorn and nuts.
My wife has recently finished treatments for cervical cancer. I know this was caused by genitle warts (HPV). Could the rectal bleeding I am experiencing be caused by genitle warts?
i am 18 and 8 weeks pregnant. i have bleeding from the rectum but no stool the blood is bright red no pain been to the hospital they sent me home telling me to wait for my appointment Monday this is friday im worried about all the blood lost and the baby im also animic think maybe i should report back to the er. any comments? thanks
WOOO HOOO!
Finally went to the ER as I was scared to death with all the blood. Took them about 5 minutes to diagnose hemmorroids! They did a simple rectal exam with a scope of some kind and immediately saw the hemmorroid!

I BEG you all to do the same! The worries immediately went away and I have discovered that so much of my 'discomfort' was in my head! I am now at ease and started taking Metamusile every morning.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE people, don't be embarrassed and have this simple test to rule out something that can put your mind at ease!!!!!!
FYI.....I'm 40 and have Diverticuli and had two bouts of Diverticulitis last year.  So I went for a colonoscopy.  Yes, the prep before (fasting and drinking that awful stuff) is the worst, but at the procedure I received a shot that made me woosy, but kept me awake.  Was able to watch the whole thing on TV and didn't feel a thing.  I even saw my doctor remove a very small polyp that was negative.  Afterwards you just have some gas, and are still a bit woosy, so you should have a ride home.  Hope this helps!
OK not to be graphic but here is what Im seeing in my stools for
OK not to be graphic but here is what Im seeing in my stools for about a week. Stools seem normal except for small amounts of red blood and mucus on the outside as well as small spots of red blood mixed throughout the stool. No other problems. Waiting for my referal from Avmed. But still worried. Any ideas? Thanks.
had histerectomy in 97 started bleeding again
blood from both areas cramping and bright bleeding
I am having problems with the bleeding to. I feel like I have to go to the bathroom and feel the blood just poring out of me.
My fist time was when I was 18. I did go to the doctors because it didnt continue. I would get blood on the papper here and there and just thought hemeroids. Well Im 27 and the last couple of months its just been comeing out like pee. I thank you all for the postings cause it has convinced me to go to the ER TONIGHT! I feel so dizzy and week every time this happens.
If you you gone though this to and wanna know how I made out or been ther and can give me some advice, please E-ME, ***@****. Thanks.
i have this problem with rectal bleeding. i have blood clots along with this bleeding also. i haven't been to the doctor yet but with this bleeding i happen to have a bloody discharge from my vagina. do you think it's because of the rectal bleeding or do you think it's something really serious. i've had this rectal problem since 95 but it has become more serious this month. tell me what you think it could be.
I am 34 and have had recal bleeding for atleast 15yrs.  I have worried myself sick about it, but too afraid to go to the Dr.  Several months ago my stools began narrowing (which is sign of colon cancer).  I finally decided to make an appt. with a gastro. Dr.  He ordered a colonoscopy which I had yesterday.  He said the bleeding was from small tears (fissures) and the narrowed stool was caused from a spastic colon.  Nothing else was found.  I am so relieved.  After all of those yrs. of worrying, it turned out to minor.  I suggest to anyone having these problems see a Dr.  Believe me, if a chicken like me could do it, anyone can.  The test was no big deal, I don't remeber anyting.  Someone said the prep was really bad, but it was alot easier than I thought it would be.  I hope this finds some of you well.
I am 34 and have had rectal bleeding for about 15yrs. I worried myself sick about it but was too afraid to see a Dr.  A  couple of months ago I noticed my stools were narrowing and I know that is a sign of colon cancer, so I finally went to a gastro Dr.  He ordered a colonoscopy which I had on Tuesday.  He said the bleeding was caused from small tears and the other was caused from a spastic colon.  I was so relieved.  So, after all those yrs. of worrying, it was only minor.  So, if you have problems that worry you, it's worth it to just go, if a CHICKEN like me can do it, anyone can.  The test was no big deal, I don't remember anything.  Someone said the prep was really bad, but I was suprised how easy it was.  I hope this finds someone well.
have had bleeding from the rectum for 10 years.  Family history of hemarroids.  Finally had injection of internal  hemarroids after much bleeding due to poor diet and strain from weight training.  Injections were done improperly causing my colon to spasm.  Most severe apin I've ever suffered in my life.  Ended up in the emergency room.  All could have been avoided by proper diet , lots of water and exercise.  Any one else have problems with hemarroids and weight lifting.  Any advice welcome.
Last Jan I had a colonoscopy and it showed that i had an ulcer.  At this time I had black stool.  I was put on an anitbiotic for about a month.  Everything seemed to be ok then.  In the past month I had experienced for several days severe constipation.  Used home remedies of Preperation H suppositories seemed to ease this situation.  Now in the past 2 weeks I have been experiencing red blood in the stool.  Has me scared to pieces.  Please advise.  I will be calling my doctor, but till then any advice will be greatfully appreciated.  Thanks,   Sharon
To whoever can help,

I have had rectal bleeding in the past and it gets sore and kind of itchy. But this is the first time, I have had severe bleeding and my backside is really sore. Could anybody tell me what exactly I can do in terms of diet and what this problem might be? I can be reached at ***@****.

Thanks.
Sue
I'm a 49 year-old female that just had a full hysterectomy,2 month s ago,the last 2 weeks I have notice a mucus with blood apart from my stool,can this be connected.My father and brother died of colon cancer.
DJ,

You should see your doctor.  Make sure you let him know your family history of colon cancer.  Particularly, if your brother passed away relatively young, you may be genetically predisposed to colon cancer.  The polyps that form colon cancer typically begin about 10 years before the cancer causes symptoms.  So, it's possible that you could develop polyps at an age of about 10 years before your father or brother had cancer.  These polyps are easily removed during a colonoscopy.  You should get checked out.  Try not to worry too much.  There are many less serious causes for rectal bleeding.
What a fantastic forum!!! God bless you all for being so prepared to share your experiences and give advice to others.....my faith in human nature has been well and truley restored!!!
I had rectal bleeding since 85. I used to crouch on public toilets to avoid skin contact. This forced the colon out a bit and it complicated matters. I have seen several doctors, they say that I have hemmorroids and also some diverticuli which are like little bubbles formations on the walls of the intestine.
Sitting on the toilet seat, reading and lingering is not recommended, since the sitting and pushing just aggravates it.
I have to avoid constipation by drinking Metamucil for its fiber content. My only cure to cure the bleeding would be an operation, in the mean time I try to seat for only the minimal time required and try not to force myself too much while moving my bowels.

Good luck to the rest of you, is not easy having to pay the price of evacuation with blood.

I am 21 years old and for the last couple of years I have had blood in my stool with almost every movement.  It is very small amounts of blood, sometimes it drips out afterwards, and I have a lot of pain... after reading your posts I think it may just be from a fissure since I am somewhat constipated when it hurts and bleeds the most.  I guess all I would really need to do is to drink more water and get some fiber in my diet... what is the best source of fiber other than something like metamusil (sorry don't know how to spell that)... since I can't see myself drinking that... is there some sort of other supplement to take?? I have no idea what to do for this and I just keep letting it go, I really do not want to go to a doctor for it since it does not seem that major. Please give me some advice... thank you!
I am 38 and I had bad pain in my back with rectal bleeding.I had no insurance so for about eight months I suffered in fear. I take care of a quadriplegic,so I went to a ciropracter who said I had a tipped tail bone. He helped my back but the bleeding became worse.I then got married and insurance so to the doctor I went.First sigflex found need for colonoscopy, then this found at least 46 pollops,12 removed then second colonoscopy 20 removed and first pollops benign, but tissue remaining is now diseased or as the doctor says pre cancer. The doctor now has found 46 at least more, and there is pain now in my abdomin (abdomen) so ultrasound of my gallbladder not diseased but found pollops in the gall bladder now going for CT of upper GI. I am told I will be watched for a while even when the pollops are all removed. My advice is do not put the doctor off.
Sue,
I hope you have already gotten some help, but in case you have not, I have a suggestion.  There is a product called "Sween Cream" that has been very helpful to me.  I suffer from Crohn's disease and battle rectal bleeding and loose bowels constantly.  The cream sooths that raw itchy feeling from bleeding and going to the bathroom so much.  I'm sorry to be so graphic, but we all seems to be dealing with the same problems.
I had a colonoscopy yesterday and had a polup removed.  I am awaiting the biospy results and hope for the best.  I am also having problems with adhesions around my intestines where I had my Crohn's surgery 15 years ago.
Can anyone comment on relief for adhesion pain?  I have found that eating several small meals per day helps a little.
Thank you, in advance, for your comments and help.  It's nice to know we are not alone!
I can be reached at ***@****
Thanks,
Michelle
I'm 30, very healthy and started experiencing rectal bleeding after bowel movements. Not concistent but enough to scare me. People, don't be embarassed to talk to your DR. I went to a specialist, like millions of us do. Nine times out of ten what y'all are experiencing are hemmoroids (hemorrhoids). But it's in your best interest to make sure nothing else is going on. Part of the standard procedure is to do a sigflex, which is to check for polups. It's not the most pleasant test and you have to prep for it by eliminating all waste from your body, in-other-words, enema, but the test is quick. Just make sure you take the afternoon off before your appt, while you're prepping. I did not under go the colonoscopy but I've been told I should get one because my father had polups and it could be hereditary. I've heard, you don't need a colonoscopy unitl you're in your 40's. The hemmoroid treatment isn't very comfortable. I had 4 laser treatments which did nothing for me. I'm still very uncomfortable and need to return to the doctor but the point of the story is to stop worrying about going to get it checked out. Don't feel embarassed. As you've read from all the other postings, this is very common. If you can't afford seeing a doctor right now, see if drinking lots of water and taking a fiber supplement help. Stay healthy!
I feel for you,I had only 3 polyp,only one had extensive high-grade dysplasis,I was really upset,but the doctor remove all of the dysplasis,and it was not cancer yet.You are so right don't put off going to the doctor,if I had waited,it would have been cancer.I started out with bloody mucus in my stool,and had only notice it about 2 months,my father and brother both died of colon cancer. Good Luck and I will be praying for you.
THIS IS FOR SHELLY WHO ANSWERED BACK IN MARCH.

Hopefully you're still around.

You mentioned your son had rectal bleeding and was then taken off the medication he was on for his bipolar disorder. What medication was that?
THIS IS FOR SHELLY WHO POSTED IN MARCH.

Hopefully you're still around!

You mentioned your son had been taken off his medication for bipolar disorder due to rectal bleeding. What medication was that?
I HAVE BEEN GOING THREW THIS FOR FOUR YEARS. I PAST THE BLOOD THE WORKS. I BEEN TO THE HOSPITAL AND THEY SAID NO CANCER' I HAVE CHANGE MY DIET, THE BLEEDING GOE'S AWAY BUT IT ALWAYS COME BACK
SO IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU GO THREW WHEN YOU HAVE THE SCOPE TEST DONE. WRITE ME AT ***@****.
OR CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO STOP THE BLEEDING AND THE STOMACH PAIN
I had the scope twice in a 6 week period,the worst part is what you have to drink,to clean your bowel,it taste awful,and I had to drink a gallon of it,but this is very important,the cleaner the bowel is the better,the doctor can see your colon.The test itself you will be put in a dream sleep and will not remember anything,I had no pain,during or after the  test,if you have not had your colon checked, I sure would go through with it,maybe they can fine out where the bleeding is coming from. good luck

I have had two colonoscopies over the last 4 years and had no problems at all.  Like others have commented, the worst part is the day before.  Drinking a gallon of cleanser is miserable, mainly because it tastes so bad and then you get to sit on the pot about every 20 minutes.  However, the not eating part really doesn't bother me and I actually feel quite good after the drinking part is over.  Each time they gave me some type of intraveneous sedative and I was totally knocked out during the procedure.  Didn't know or feel anything and when I came to, I felt great.  No after affects, I could actually drive with no problem although they wouldn't let me.  I can hardly recommend it enough if you have any concerns.  Like others said, when they tell you they found nothing significant you breathe a whole lot easier.  I just saw blood in my stool this week, very minor and no follow through later, and am wondering if I should have another inspection.  I had one a little over a year ago so I suspect I may have hemarroids or possibly a little bout of diverticulitis.  Anyway, I will see my doctor and see what he recommends.  Ease of mind and getting it early if it is something is better than continuing to have problems and not knowing why.
PLEASE EVERYONE, IF YOU ARE STILL OUT THERE DEALING WITH THIS MEDICAL PROBLEM, I AM SCREAMING AT YOU TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!  IF YOU HAVING HONEST TO GOD SYMPTOMS YOU -MUST- GO TO A DOCTOR, YOU ARE -NOT- GOING TO GET YOUR ANSWERS HERE.  YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF, INSURANCE OR NO INSURANCE, TO GET YOUR MEDICAL QUESTIONS ANSWERED BY MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.  GO TO YOUR DOCTOR!
I experienced the same problem right after the birth of my daughter. It was a non healing rectal fissure. My required surgery to help fix, although it did not take care of it completely. If you are having bright red blood it is most likely bleeding hemmrhoids or a fissure. You should certainly see your doctor right away. If you can do it, I would just go see a GI doctor because they are experienced in this and it would save you at least one trip to the docs. Good luck
I've had the same problem with bleeding. It took me several years before I went to the Dr.I've had barium enamas colonoscopy the only thing it hurts is your pride. I'm glad I went for the tests every thing checked out exept for hemroids. So my advise is to swallow your pride and go for the test youll feel better in the end because you will know the results and you wont be sick worrying about the worst.
I'm 43 year old male; I have no known family history of colon cancer.  I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis and admitted to the hospital for approximately 3 days. Then I had a follow up appointment with my primary physician.  Every thing seem to be going good; My bowels were good coloration and form; I have made a 90 degree change in my diet; Changed it to a high fiber diet and drinking approximately 5 liters of water a day.  I'am also starting an exercise program.
    But, just a couple of days ago I have found bright red blood in my stool.  Every time I have a bowel movement I'am finding bright red blood in my stool to the point I'am afraid to have one. Anyways, I guess at my age and the symptoms that I'am having; I have already scheduled an appointment for a colonoscopy. So, for those of you wondering what this procedures is like I will post a followup comment some time in mid October after I have the procedure  done.  Take-Care and God Bless.    
Last week-end I noticed a fair amount of blood in the toilet bowl after a very small bowel movement. It really scared me! I don't have insurance, so I called my mother who said it could be a ruptured hemmoroid. Indeed, I have had a history of hemmoroids (hemorrhoids), and was in a time of high stress. I decided to just monitor the situation and take it easy. There was no pain or cramping, and so far,no recurrence. It is just a huge relief to hear all these other testimonials, and to know it is actually a somewhat common
occurence.
As I promised, this is the follow-up posting from my Monday, October 02, 2000 posting.  Well, I went through with my colonoscopy procedure and I have to say that there was hardly any pain involved in this procedure.
   Heres the play by play;
The day before the exam you are allowed to eat breakfast and followed by a light lunch.  After lunch you can only have liquids. Later on in the evening you have two hours to drink a gallon of Colyte commonly known as Polyethylene/Glycol which is a electrolyte solution.  Its basically a laxative and its not the greatest tasting; But, they have a choice of flavor mix (pineapple, cherry, lemon, and grape berry) MY choice was pineapple.  Why? I wanted to feel tropical.
    The day of the appointment I was not allowed to eat or drink anything after 8:00am; My appointment was not until 3:00pm.
Yes, bowels were clean and I was hungry.
  Anyways, the first thing I had to do was disrobe and put on the usual hospital gown.  As I layed in bed the nurse asked me a few admission question and inserted an (I.V.). This was probably the most pain that I had to endure from the whole procedure.  The doctor came into the room asked me a few more question.  He gave me 5mg of (versed)used to produce sedation before(preoperatively) and amnesia after(postoperatively)and 15mg of Demerol to manage moderate to severe pain.  Both were given through my I.V. port I felt the medication going up my arm and thats all I remember.
  The next thing I remember was the nurse waking me up asking me if I was ready to go home.  
    If you are undecided on having this procedure done and are trying to find an excuse not to have it done.  You won't find one here.  So, thats it in a nut shell.  Good luck and May God give you good health.    

Heres the play by play;

I'am a nineteen year old who has experienced rectal bleeding on and off for about five months now.  I'am having a sigmoidoscopy in less than a week.  I experience bowel movements only about once every three days and it hurts so bad it feels like I'am being cut on the inside of my rectim everytime I have a bowel movement.  I know that it's probably hemroids or possible fissures, but I know that it's so stupid to go on any longer without going to the doctor, I have finally decided it's worth the embarassment to get rid of the awful pain, preperation H helps whenever I've used it but it's only temporary TRUST ME. You need to be checked out by the doctor, and if its a pollup they can remove it for you, and you'll feel lots better. I'll tell how things went for my sigmoidoscopy next week, until then make your appointments now!
well, i think ill tell you all the things i can. i happened to be a contourtionist, and i was doing my show the other day when it happened. as i slowly bent over to stick my chin between my bum cheeks, i noticed something close to my anus. it was a pollop. it was puffy like a spounge, the color of the sidewalk, and it smelled like the dirty rags beneath the sink....
i just want to tell you youre not alone. the quest for the salt encrusted pollop....
i've seen that their are some teenagers who've experinced rectal bleeding.i'm 15 years old and i've recently had blood in my bowel movements. i also had it back when i was 14. am i too young for colon cancer? i'm too nervous about telling my mom so she could take me to a doctor to find out. my mom had blood in her bowel movements too and when she went to the doctor it turned out to be hemmaroids. does anyone know the chances of me having colon or rectal cancer?
i've noticed that a lot of teenagers have said they had rectal bleeding. i'm 15 and i've recently had bleeding in my bowel movements. i also had some back when i was 14. is it possible for me to have colon cancer at my age? i'm too nervous about asking my mom to take me to the doctor to find out. she got checked for colon cancer because of rectal bleeding but it turned out to be just hemmaroids. does anyone know the chances of someone my age having colon or rectal cancer?
Anyone ever have an anal fistula? Do you have to have surgery?
I'm fifteen year old.  For about two months, I would get sharp, severe pains that almost made me double over in pain in my rectal area.  These would come about once every two weeks.  Finally I got the courage to tell my parents about the problem.  After seeing the doctor he diagnosed me with a rectal fissure.  Now everyday I have to drink a glass of metamusil.  This is to allow the bowels to become more soft so the rectum can heal.  Everytime I had to go to the bathroom I would re-tear open the fissure.  Go to the doctor though if you experience any thing!  I only had about a drop of blood once.  Don't try to diagnose yourself, go to the doctor.
Jacqueline,If you don't eat right sometimes you will have trouble having a bowel movement,with will cause you to bleed if you stain alot,more than likely at your age you don't have colon cancer( very rare at your age),but you still need to tell your mom so you can get help before it gets worse,not knowing why your bleeding is alot worse than any test you can have. Good Luck
i am a teenage male,experiancing rectal bleeding. This just started, but one week before this starting I had a hard time getting a stool out. This may have caused some strain on me, could that be a cuse of this? Te rectal bleeding started when I had a bowel movement,but I could not go. I had a feeling of pain and then bleeding as I tried to stop the stool from exiting me. Again, just as last week the stool is hard and painful, but this time bleeding occurs before it even leaves my body. And it hasn't left. What could be the cause of this?
I am 35 years old and have had the same type of problem over the last 4-6 months.  I just had a colonoscopy to ensure that this was not colon cancer.  I was diagnosed with internal hemmorhoids and told to eat alot of fresh fruits and veggies and keep my stool soft.  I was glad to hear that, but still have problems with seeing this bleeding from time to time especially because I've always kept my stool soft.  I am not sure if you've seen a doctor, but I definitely recommend getting a colonoscopy.  My aunt, actually my father's aunt, died of colon cancer because she did not check out her rectal bleeding.  Better safe than sorry and if you tell the doctor that you have history of cancer in your family, the insurance will definitely cover it.  Hopefully, the insurance will cover it anyway.  Good luck.
Water, Water, Water. Drink it.Lots of it. Cut the junk food and eat lots of fiber.Most of you will feel better. Good Luck.
Can eating tomatoes give your stool the appearance of having blood in it?  I ate a sandwich last night with tomatoes on it and my stool this morning had red spots in it.  It wasn't streaked through it but appeared almost like chunks within the stool.  I have diverticulosis and have always feared getting cancer.  Any ideas?
To anyone out there who is bleeding, it is imperative that you see a Dr. immediately. If you don't have insurance, there are hospitals with clinics for those who can't afford to pay.
I have had Chron's disease for 17 years now. Mine started out with my stools having a lot of mucus in it and having to go to the bathroom after I ate. I then noticed a couple of times that it looked like a chewed up apple with blood in it. I went to the doctor and he didn't want to give me the kind of examination I needed because he thought I was too young. He said I had a small cut on the inside of my rectum and gave me some steroid cream to insert. That seemed to help a little. I got married and became pregnant three months later. I had the flu early on and I became really weak. Three months after I became pregnant, I started bleeding again and having abdominal cramps. Went to dr's many times and they sent me home and said to eat plenty of milk and vegetables and that it was just hemmoroids (hemorrhoids). I was really constipated at that time and they put me on every kind of laxative there was. My stools were black and I would almost pass out from loosing so much blood. I would also run a fever of 105 every evening at the same time and could only find releif from pain from  being on my hands and knees and rocking back and forth. My mother would give me tylenol and take me to the hospital and they would send me back home. I didn't have a fever when I got there. One day I was in so much pain and my fever was high that my mom called the dr and he said not to give me any pain medicine and to bring me in. I fought like a tiger! I was not going back to the emergency and wait for hours and they send me back home again. My husband had to literally drag me to the car. I got there and my fever was 106. I had lost so much blood that my baby didn't have enough oxygen to breath. I was given 2 or 3 pints that night and then I started having diarhea (diarrhea) really bad and couldn't hold it. They admitted me and I was in there two months. They had to finally take my baby at 27 weeks so they could treat me. Only one of us had a 50/50 chance of making it.
my story continues... By the grace of God, we both survived. I had weighed 103 when I got married and 96 the day I had my baby and 63 the next day. They diagnosed me with ulcerative colitis and sent me home after two months with taking 28 pills a day. My older brother has colitis. That's where they diagnosed that, along with doing exploratory surgery when they took my baby.I was ok for almost a year. I never could gain much of my weight back and still bled a little,was always very weak and under alot of stress. In October, the following year I had to have surgery. They gave me a temporary iliostomy. It never worked and I was always in the hospital. This lasted for another year. I had another surgery to remove it and they had built a J-pouch previously for me to see if that would help. I always had to be near a bathroom and was tube fed because of nutrition needs. I had to go so much I had to have a bedside commode. I wound up sleeping on it with my head laying on the bed. That's how bad it got.I was still bleeding, clots so big they looked liked pancakes. They then put me in a so called halfway mental ward because I was too sick to go home but not sick enough to be on a regular floor. They said I was anorexic because I couln't keep my food down. Boy, did that make me mad!! Had to sign a contract that said if I ate 10 bites of food and kept it down I could interact with other patients. Three days later I was in Intensive care. To make a very long story shorter, I wound up having 5 surgeries and have an iliostomy. I have only 6 feet of small intestines and after my last surgery I was finally diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I went through so many tests that it was not funny. MRI's (5 or6),Proctoscopes, CATSCANS, I even had a disease specialist to test me nuclearly for any unknown diseases. Upper and Lower GI's any kind of tests you can think of but nothing showed up. I was in the hospital 1 1/2 years out of three. It has taken a long time, 16 years later I have finally gained 10 pounds and kept it on. I BEG ALL OF YOU TO BE TESTED AND DON'T GIVE UP UNTIL YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE.
fffff
"Pistachios".  I have had Rectal Bleeding for approximately 15 years.  I am now 38 Years old.  My Granfather had Hemmorroids so bad he had to wear tampons  because of the leakage so to speak.  He ended up living to the ripe old age of 101 years. My grandfather had his Hemmorroids removed in his 50s or 60s.  I now suffer the same symptoms but I have never really had an exam.  I have lost moderate amounts of blood almost on a daily basis for the last few years.  I do fear going to the Doctor but I may save myself from something which could be somewhat serious in the future if not now.  I guess it could be that I procrastinate for convenience, if that makes sense.  I should probably go in but never quite get to it.  Anyway one day I was going through the postings on the internet like this one, and found one where a person mentioned his or her Mother having a serious problems with Hemmorroids.  She started eating Pistachios and has had no more problems.  I figured trying it myself.  Normally I don't eat Pistachios and the strange thing is I had bought some just for the heck of it.  Then I ate almost an entire bag one night.  The next day and following days no more Bulging Hemmorroids or Bleeding.  I stopped eating them immediately and then they came back.  The moral to this story is try Pistachios.  Don't know why but it worked for me as well.  Good luck to you all.  By the way I work for a company which manufactures Antioxidants including fiber food supplements. look up our site at www.biotec-foods.com and ask for steve or Marika. Believe me I feel and have felt many of your pains out there, when addressing Hemmorroids. My email address is adolf_kipling***@****.  Peace and good health to you all.
HI EVERYONE OUT THERE...I WOULD FIRST LIKE TO THANK EVEYONE FOR WRITING IN...I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW, THAT I READ EVERYONE'S EXPERIENCE'S...I HAD BLOOD AND BY BOWEL, THIS PAST WEEK, ONLY ONE TIME...I HAD NO PAIN....I WENT TO THE DOCTOR THAT DAY, I WAS A NERVOUS RECK, THINKING THE WORST....THE DOCTOR TOLD ME IT WAS HEMROIDS...ALTHOUGH I AM STILL A LITTLE NERVOUS, BECAUSE I'M NOT ITCHY, OR BURNING...I HAVE CREAM I HAVE TO APPLY, I ALSO HAVE TO DRINK METAMUCIL..I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY TO ANYONE WHO HASN'T GONE TO THE DOCTOR....PLEASE GO, WOULDN'T YOU WANT TO CATCH SOMETHING EARLY TO STOP IT, IF ANYTHING SERIOUS WAS WRONG?
i'm a 32 year old female with no known history of colon cancer.  i've been experiencing slight rectal bleeding with bowel movements for the past three days.  what treatment should i seek?