Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Role of Lactobaccilli (Acidophillus) and Celiac Sprue

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

While the structure of this question may be a bit odd, I was hoping that you would be able to offer some insight into these questions.

The problem I have w/ Celiac Sprue are the known sensitivities  w/ baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate). There is nothing in bs that leads one to suspect that it may contain gluten. To my understanding, if there has ever been one ingrediant to which Celiacs are more sensitive, it has proven to be baking soda.

Based on the secondary possibilities that could be involved with the gliadin antibody test(MSG, or all lectins, etc), the one area of fascination for me now is Lactobaccilli (Acidophillus).

If damage to the villi or Galt tissue (ETC.) takes place, is it possible the real problem behind Celiac could be an issue with Lactate? While the health food stores are telling us that "We can't get enough of Acidophillus," what is being ignored is that Lactobaccilli is already put into all of the dairy and wheat products at a greater ratio than other foods, to my understanding. In the presence of a "Leaky gut," wouldn't lactate than be hitting the blood?Across the internet, I have managed to find only one article covering Lactobaccilli overgrowth (A "Step short" of Lactic Acidosis). According to the physician, the effective treatment is antibiotics and sodium bicarbonate.

My question is, why would those with Celiac respond negatively to baking soda? The signs of "Candida" are just swarming around the case studies relating to Celiac, but now I can't help but wonder whether or not some of these Candida (The conveniant label)overgrowths may not be Lactobaccilli. And if that would be the case, may the only requirement than be a "Leaky gut" for this to become a systemic issue?

But again, if this was part of the problem, why would they ever respond to baking soda (Alkaline) negatively, in the same way as gluten (Acidic)? Could you explain what you know about the differences in stomach/intestinal PH, and that of blood PH? I know it is preferable to maintain an acidic lower GI, but that's about it.

Why do some acidic foods have an acidic effect on the system, while other acidic foods (Vinegar, certain forms of barley, etc) actually have an alkaline affect on the blood stream? While many believe that Lactobaccilli (Acid=end product lactate)produce an acidic affect on the intestines, they go onto say this does the opposite w/ the bloodstream (Lacticacidosis=acidic lower bowel, yet leads to an alkaline effect on the bloodstream). Seems to be a common pattern in other words=Some acidic foods have a reverse effect on the bloodstream, while others do not. With alkaline foods, they seem to = alkaline blood across the board. WOuld all of these beliefs still hold true if there was any damage to the mucus layer ("Leaky gut", etc)?  

Finally, based on historical literature,is it beneficial or bad for those with a history of lowerGI/stomach (Celiac, bacteria ulcers, etc)to take Hydrocholric Acid/Pepsin? Thanks

The concept of "leaky gut" syndrome and candida in the GI tract has not been conclusively proven in the medical literature.

Celiac disease is caused by an abnormal reaction of the immune system to gluten - and clears up once gluten is removed from the diet.  

I am not aware of a connection between Celiac disease and the ingestion of baking soda.  

To diagnose the disease, you can consider blood tests looking for endomysial antibodies to confirm the diagnosis.  

Treatment should be focused on eliminating gluten from the diet, rather than the acidy and alkalinity of foods.  This can be discussed with your personal physician or in conjunction with a nutritionist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
i don't believe I have celiac disease but i do have allergies to wheat and gluten and SOY. I gives me mildly upset stocmach but mainly excess respiritory mucous and post nasal drip. I have no problem myself with baking sode - in fact I use it for toothpase - (I react to calcium carbonate which is chalk used in most toothpastes). Anyway where it gets murky is that many prodcuts with and without flour contains wheat gluten and soy. soy is used as an additive in many things, as is gluten. I can't take instant coffee for instance without an mucous episode. I tried wheat and gluten free biscuits and reacted to the soy additive. Of course most bread contains baking soda and the other things too.

For me avoiding everything that contains any of the 3 is working brilliantly. My breathing is clear as a bell and my gut is very content. I might be able to narrow down the problem to just soy or maybe not - i'm feeling so good I don't want to rock the boat at the moment.

best of luck