Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Scar Tissue in Bile Duct?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Scar Tissue in Bile Duct?

I have recently had an ERCP.  The Doctor found what he thought was scar tissue in the bile duct.  He sent me for an EUS and the Doctor who did that procedure is calling what he sees a flap.  The Doctor said it may have to be removed or they may need to put in a stent.  Has anyone had anything like this?  What could it be?  I have to wait another week before I can sit down with my Doctor and go over all the test results.
Ihad my gallbladder out about 8 months ago. I began having
stomach pain,which radiated to my back, but the pain was
mostly in the middle, to the left, right below my rib
cage. I had an endoscopy and the doctor diagnosed it
as gastritis. I have been on medication(prilosec) for
3 weeks now, watching my diet, and I still have some
pain. Can having your gallbladder removed cause gastritis,
or are these symptoms of a stone left in the bile duct.
How can they diagnose a bile duct stone or scar tissue
in the duct? Does it take a long time for gastritis to
heal.
Minny,

Before diagnosing gastritis, did your GI thoroughly check your pancreas?  Your symptoms are indicative of pancreatitis, which sometimes develops as a result of gallbladder removal and or obstruction in the common bile duct.  Antiacids such as prilosec will not fully ease the discomforting pain.  An ERCP would show the presence of a stone or scar tissue, as would a CT-scan, which is much less invasive.
I am surprised that he doctor who did the ERCP did not do a sphincterotomy while he was doing the procedure.  I had a sphincterotomy and they place a stent into my pancreatic duct and clipped the bile duct.  For me the surgery wasn't a big deal but if your surgeon has not done this procedure often, then you could have pancreatitis because of the surgery.  See if you can find a doctor who'speciality is the biliary tree.  Many doctors who have specialities like that are connected to University Hospitals.  I hope this information will be of help to you.  Let me know how you are doing.  Good Luck
Does chronic pancreatitis EVER go away? Is there any hope?
How long does each episode last?
Does the sphincter of oddi create it?
How can one get a definitive diagnosis if nothing shows on tests?
I had scarring all over the gallbladder also and am wondering, if there is scar tissue somewhere else like the pancreas or bile duct.
The scar tissue NEVER showed on a SINGLE test, the surgeon only saw it when he opened me up.
What if the same  thing can happen to the pancreas.
How the H#$% can one get help?????????

Taylee
My mother has an obstruction in the bile duct. They are not sure what it is from.They placed a stent in the bile duct.The doctor has been taking a tumor marker test every month called a ca19-9. It seems to fluctuate up and down with each test. He doesn't have an answer as to why this is happening. Has anyone had a similar experience?