Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Severe pain on left side

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Severe pain on left side

I have been having severe pressure under my left rib that radiates from my back to my front with most of the pain being towards the front.  It sometimes feels muscular while at other times if feels like a balloon expanding.  At times I am feeling somewhat lightheaded and nauseous.  If I do a side bend, there is no pain.  However, if I twist either way, there is the muscular pain.  What could possibly be the problem?
Hi boomersmom, I had left pain like you describe and it was a hernia. Then after the hernia repair, the pain got worse. Mine was adhesions that had pulled my small intestines to the left and they malrotated. I looked pregnant and every movement was painful. I had exploratory surgery and I had alot of adhesions. They had to fish my entire small intestines and cut the adhesions away and put my intestines back in the position they were meant to be in. First and foremost, "GO SEE A DOCTOR". Don't try some of those flushes--they CAN dehydrate you to a point of death.
I TOO, HAVE THIS PAIN IN MY LEFT SIDE. RIGHT UNDER THE RIB AREA. FEELS MUSCULAR AT TIMES, BUT ALSO HAVE SOME BULGING IN THE MID SECTION AREA.  I HAVE THOUGHT OF A HERNIA, SO I AM HAVING TESTS RAN, TO DIAGNOISE PROBLEM. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY COMMENTS IN REGARDS TO THIS PROBLEM I AM EXPERIENCING.
My hernias were all incisional hernias, so I can't comment on the other kind of hernias. I'm wondering if there's an herb for hernias. I know I'm being catty and it's not in my demeanor, but I can't help it with all the quackery that's happening on this forum. Go see a doctor and sometimes they can feel the hole. Do you have an incision on your left side? My hernias all hurt after I ate, because it pushed the fatty tissue and muscle into the hole. I could actually push in back in. I'm a walking "screen door", because I am so full of mesh from my hernias. I had nine in two years. There is no cure for hernias, except surgery and it's not a choice, because your intestines can get caught, so please GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR.
I, too, have had a pain in my left side for years now.  I've had 3 surgeries in the last 2 years, and the pain is still present and continuous.  I would love to know how to help you and myself at the same time.  It is to the point now that I am unable to have a bowel movement without taking a laxative and the doctors don't think this is unusual!!!  All my tests have not shown the cause of the pain.  My abdomen is extended and I'm sore under my left ribs.  I've gained 10 pounds in less than a year...I'd love any advice from someone who doesn't charge $145 for 15 minutes and tell you what you already knew when you walked into the doctor's office.
A related discussion, L side bulge after nephrectomy l yr ago was started.