Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Severe slow transit

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Severe slow transit

I ve had slow transit constipation for as long as I can remember, and the situation got worse as time went by.
The only way for me to get any motility is taking 7-8 Dulcolax, which I have to decide when and where since it cramps me very much

I have just had an 'aggressive' treatment prescribed which included a combination of Movicol, Zelmac, Senna and Milk of Magnesia. The treatment did not provoque any bowel movements

I have just now done all rectal tests to cross out any defecation problems from that side (rectal manometry, defecography, and general inspections)
A small rectocele was found, but it did not block the defecation process

Surgery is now being considered, and I was told the entire colon should be taken out to get results

The transit test showed about 90% of markers still inside, and that was done with medicine

I feel reluctant taking the decision on this major surgery, eventhough I do not feel like I have many options

Should I go for the surgery??

Are generally the situation of people who undergo colectomies for colonic inertia worse than mine?

thanks
You have had a comprehensive evaluation, with some specialized tests done to rule out many of the major anatomical and motility concerns.  

I agree that surgery is unfortunately the next option.  Obviously, another opinion should be sought before undergoing this path.  

I would also consider blood tests to look for diabetes or thyroid problems.  Medical options like Reglan can also be considered - although I would assume that these options have already been considered.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with another GI opinion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I just want to reply to your post, as I have the same problem you do, and I have a hard time finding anyone who deals with what I go through.  I stopped going on my own after my first child was born, and that was 5 years ago. I do not have bm's on my own at all, but I am afraid of surgery. I go for weekly colonics to clean myself out, I am very reluctant to take the advice of most doctors because they really have no clue. If something isn't working right should we just "cut it out"?   It is hard, I am miserable if I dont go for colonics every week. Anyway, if u get this I'd like to talk to you. I live in Michigan, I never post to sites, this is my first. I truly wish you the best of luck, and just know that you are not alone.
God Bless
I also llive in Mi.  I have been to the Uof M and had several tests done.  They were all "normal".  I have tried several things and they work for about 2 days then they stop.  I have not had a bm on my own for over 4 years.  I currently take large does of magnesium and vit c which gives me a small bowel movement.  The stool is soft, just never any urge or movement.  Not sure what to try next.  I have read about a procedure where they connect your appendix to the bowel and you have a bm movement by flushing this with normal saline through your navel.  Is this successfull and a good thing to consider?  Thanks
Deb
A related discussion, Slow Transit Constipation/Pelvic Flr Dysfunction was started.